Official VSX-01TXH and VSX-03TXH Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 3260 Old 08-01-2008, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, a quick recap: two people have received their 01's? Someone got one from ABT and someone picked one up at the Pioneer retail store?

I was looking around online and most places had it available for pre-order (some of those stores oddly said they had 03's in stock, but not 01's) and the place where I pre-ordered mine now has their website saying "NEW" instead of "Coming Soon" but it shows not in stock.

So:

Magnolia/BB - due this weekend
Yawa - in stock
ABT - backordered
4Electronics - pre-order
Value Electronics - ?
Pioneer Store - in stock

Did I miss any? You'd think there'd be a more uniform release front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3260 Old 08-01-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_stargazer View Post

So, a quick recap:
So:

Yawa - in stock
ABT - backordered
4Electronics - pre-order
Value Electronics - ?
Pioneer Store - in stock

Someone posted here that they called VE and were told the 01 would be in 8-4.
post #33 of 3260 Old 08-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

So, a quick recap: two people have received their 01's? Someone got one from ABT and someone picked one up at the Pioneer retail store?

I was looking around online and most places had it available for pre-order (some of those stores oddly said they had 03's in stock, but not 01's) and the place where I pre-ordered mine now has their website saying "NEW" instead of "Coming Soon" but it shows not in stock.

So:

Yawa - in stock
ABT - backordered
4Electronics - pre-order
Value Electronics - ?
Pioneer Store - in stock

Vanns.com

HTPC/Gaming Rig:
Silverstone CW02B, I7 3930K, 16GB, ASUS Rampage IV Formula
EVGA Signature Titan> 70 inch ELITE PRO-70X5FD
Auzen HDMI XFi> 7.2 via Marantz AV8801>Wyred4Sound, & Emotiva Amps>Paradigm 100'sV5, ADP590'sV5, 690v5, 20v5's, + Dual HSU-ULS15 Subs

Controlling: Two CX7000ES's via MyMovies
post #34 of 3260 Old 08-01-2008, 05:26 PM

post #35 of 3260 Old 08-11-2008, 10:07 AM

Well it's unfortunate this thread lost a couple pages. Luckily I saved my mini-review of the 01 last night since the boards were being finicky. I will post later today.

In summary, however, I'm really happy with the 01 and it has a lot of neat new features combined with tried-and-true functionality.
post #36 of 3260 Old 08-11-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:

Well it's unfortunate this thread lost a couple pages.

Here is a repost of my "mini" mini-review . . . . .

Got my preordered 01 delivered on 8/8 from VE and spent that evening and the next morning setting it up. Then I programed my URC mx-700 remote, which no longer gets online updates, but I was able to find discrete codes that worked for power on & off, as well as, inputs HDMI1 & HDMI2. I watched Black Hawk Down BD in lossless and thought I was in the battle.

Yesterday I watched the BD versions of Close Encounters (test of deep bass) and Ratatouille (excellent overall SQ).

So far very pleased.
post #37 of 3260 Old 08-11-2008, 08:22 PM

Yes!!! I am soo happy to finally have my system powered by new Pioneer! Thoughts so far (bout 3 hours of playing around):

Things I like:
- Looks, very sharp!
- Lots of different modes to play with
- Automatic speaker setup - at first the receiver was powering off on its own during one of the tests, but then i realized that i needed to set the biamp settings and that resolved the problem. It worked pretty well, but i'll go back and adjust once i have some time.
- sound is amazingly clear...i threw in spiderman in my ps3 and was blown away by the detail!

Things i need to research:
- my cable remote is very very slow...doubt its related, but it is an odd coincidence
- i gots to figure out all of these settings
- is it possible to control my tv (panny) with this remote?
- the gui is pretty weak!

-ah
post #38 of 3260 Old 08-12-2008, 08:16 AM

Alright, here are the highlights of my weekend with the 01.

1. Aesthetics - I really like the look of the receiver (because I liked the look of the old 8 and 9 series Elites) and the remote looks pretty fancy with the faux brushed metal, silver circle navigation pad, and blue lit buttons.
2. Improved MCACC - Additional features such as Sound Wave and Acoustic EQ made speaker setup take a little longer, but the sound field sounded more precise. I didn't do an A/B comparison, but after listening to a VSX80 for the last 8 months, the 01 sounded like it better calibrated my speakers. Also, multiple MCACC calibrations for different listening modes/positions can be stored in memory.
3. New "sub" menus - The Audio and Video Parameter buttons allow you to make little adjustments to commonly used features are helpful. It took a little while to get used to when you can or cannot access them though ("cannot select" message).
4. Direct/Pure Direct modes - Pretty simple function really, eliminating DSP (direct) or DSP and MCACC (pure direct), is helpful for CD listening or anything that you want with a "true" signal.
5. HDMI 1.3 - This is obvious and not really a feature, but I'm so glad I have the ability to listen to the lossless Blu-ray codecs over HDMI now. Also, my 80 only had passthrough, so my wiring setup was simplified significantly.

Dislikes:
1. Remote functionality - Overall, I feel the remote is a good one but I have two issues. First, there is no learning function like my 80, so since my Samsung TV doesn't work with any of the codes listed in the manual, I can't teach the remote to control my TV. Frustrating. Second, I don't think there is a way to turn on/off Multi Ch from the remote. I'd like to be able to go back and forth from 5.1 analog and HDMI audio for DVD's with 6.1 tracks without having to physically push the button on my receiver.
2. No HDMI scaling - I knew this going in and it's a moot point since I have a DVDO VP50, but I wish on behalf of other owners that this would scale 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i over HDMI to 1080p. (Side query, does the Denon 988 or any Denon with Faroudja DCDi scale HDMI signals?)

Not tested:
1. Video scaling - See Dislike #2...no personal need.
2. TrueHD and DTS-HD - I only have a PS3 so I can't bitstream these codecs, only decode to PCM. Still, the audio is awesome for Blu-ray (especially John Mayer - Where the Light Is with 96 kHz PCM).
3. XM, Sirius, iPod/USB interface - I don't have either satellite radio carrier or an iPod. I will try my Zune to see what it does, but I'm not hopeful.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this receiver. I hope all the other 01 owners are enjoying theirs. To anyone on the fence, I highly recommend picking one of these up.
post #39 of 3260 Old 08-12-2008, 10:02 AM

They just dropped off mine at home, cant wait to get off from work to try it out!
post #40 of 3260 Old 08-12-2008, 12:34 PM

Anyone using a PS3? How does the 01 work with the PS3? Any problems? What sound codec is used in the Auto mode when connected to the PS3? Can you get HD decoded from the PS3? I am driving PSB speakers (image 3lr, 10s and 9c). Any comments on how the PSB will match up with the 01? I will also want to connect my apple computer through the DVI/HDMI connection. Anybody out there tried it?
post #41 of 3260 Old 08-12-2008, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Alright, here are the highlights of my weekend with the 01.

1. Aesthetics - I really like the look of the receiver (because I liked the look of the old 8 and 9 series Elites) and the remote looks pretty fancy with the faux brushed metal, silver circle navigation pad, and blue lit buttons.
2. Improved MCACC - Additional features such as Sound Wave and Acoustic EQ made speaker setup take a little longer, but the sound field sounded more precise. I didn't do an A/B comparison, but after listening to a VSX80 for the last 8 months, the 01 sounded like it better calibrated my speakers. Also, multiple MCACC calibrations for different listening modes/positions can be stored in memory.
3. New "sub" menus - The Audio and Video Parameter buttons allow you to make little adjustments to commonly used features are helpful. It took a little while to get used to when you can or cannot access them though ("cannot select" message).
4. Direct/Pure Direct modes - Pretty simple function really, eliminating DSP (direct) or DSP and MCACC (pure direct), is helpful for CD listening or anything that you want with a "true" signal.
5. HDMI 1.3 - This is obvious and not really a feature, but I'm so glad I have the ability to listen to the lossless Blu-ray codecs over HDMI now. Also, my 80 only had passthrough, so my wiring setup was simplified significantly.

Dislikes:
1. Remote functionality - Overall, I feel the remote is a good one but I have two issues. First, there is no learning function like my 80, so since my Samsung TV doesn't work with any of the codes listed in the manual, I can't teach the remote to control my TV. Frustrating. Second, I don't think there is a way to turn on/off Multi Ch from the remote. I'd like to be able to go back and forth from 5.1 analog and HDMI audio for DVD's with 6.1 tracks without having to physically push the button on my receiver.
2. No HDMI scaling - I knew this going in and it's a moot point since I have a DVDO VP50, but I wish on behalf of other owners that this would scale 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i over HDMI to 1080p. (Side query, does the Denon 988 or any Denon with Faroudja DCDi scale HDMI signals?)

Not tested:
1. Video scaling - See Dislike #2...no personal need.
2. TrueHD and DTS-HD - I only have a PS3 so I can't bitstream these codecs, only decode to PCM. Still, the audio is awesome for Blu-ray (especially John Mayer - Where the Light Is with 96 kHz PCM).
3. XM, Sirius, iPod/USB interface - I don't have either satellite radio carrier or an iPod. I will try my Zune to see what it does, but I'm not hopeful.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this receiver. I hope all the other 01 owners are enjoying theirs. To anyone on the fence, I highly recommend picking one of these up.

I agree with you re the remote - my old 1014 remote is better and works with most of the 01's functions, so I use it instead. I bitstreamed Dolby True HD the other night from a Tosh XA-2 and it sounded quite good, using Dolby EX to matrix to the rear speaker.

Go Duke !
post #42 of 3260 Old 08-12-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss53 View Post

Anyone using a PS3? How does the 01 work with the PS3? Any problems? What sound codec is used in the Auto mode when connected to the PS3? Can you get HD decoded from the PS3? I am driving PSB speakers (image 3lr, 10s and 9c). Any comments on how the PSB will match up with the 01? I will also want to connect my apple computer through the DVI/HDMI connection. Anybody out there tried it?

I use a PS3 with my 01. I had to set the Audio options on the PS3 to output HDMI and I set the Blu-ray options for HDMI to PCM I believe. Standard menu navigation and music were in PCM (PCM showed on the 01 display). I am not sure if you select HDMI Bitstream what it will output (whether it will do DD or DTS when appropriate and PCM when Blu-ray audio is PCM, TrueHD, or DTS-HD); something to try. Playing Blu-ray discs, the PS3 sent PCM to my 01 flawlessly and it sounded great (the PS3 cannot bitstream TrueHD and DTS-HD). If it is 96 kHz PCM, the display shows "96 kHz PCM."

I haven't connected a computer via DVI-->HDMI nor have I tried the USB port yet.
post #43 of 3260 Old 08-12-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:

I use a PS3 with my 01. I had to set the Audio options on the PS3 to output HDMI and I set the Blu-ray options for HDMI to PCM I believe. Standard menu navigation and music were in PCM (PCM showed on the 01 display). I am not sure if you select HDMI Bitstream what it will output (whether it will do DD or DTS when appropriate and PCM when Blu-ray audio is PCM, TrueHD, or DTS-HD); something to try. Playing Blu-ray discs, the PS3 sent PCM to my 01 flawlessly and it sounded great (the PS3 cannot bitstream TrueHD and DTS-HD). If it is 96 kHz PCM, the display shows "96 kHz PCM."

I haven't connected a computer via DVI-->HDMI nor have I tried the USB port yet.

Thanks for the reply. I at least not there are no major issues with the PS3. Thanks for the assitance.
post #44 of 3260 Old 08-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Dislikes:

Dammit! I came across these same problems. This remote will not control my Samsung 5281F AND I would like to be able to change the Multi-Channel on & off with the remote! My Onkyo 605 was able to do both of these things and more(On Screen Volume Display!). I am pissed! Anyone know if I can switch Multichannel on/off with a Harmony One Remote? It would make me happy to find out I can.

HTPC/Gaming Rig:
Auzen HDMI XFi> 7.2 via Marantz AV8801>Wyred4Sound, & Emotiva Amps>Paradigm 100'sV5, ADP590'sV5, 690v5, 20v5's, + Dual HSU-ULS15 Subs

post #45 of 3260 Old 08-12-2008, 07:17 PM

Does Best Buy have this receiver listed on their website?
post #46 of 3260 Old 08-12-2008, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 58
One nice thing: after you run MCACC,if you tweak the speaker levels ( I always jack them up to around 82db using an SPL meter) those changes are applied only to that MCACC memory slot. If you run MCACC with a different setup and save the results to another slot, you can tweak the levels and they will not impact the levels in the original slot. It's a very flexible system. Of course this can be a curse if you are never quite satisfied with the setup. I did run MCACC with Front Align and found the default configuration to be much richer. I'm undecided on the use of THX Cinema. It does sound better on some audio tracks, especially DD5.1 off of the cable box but not as good on pure HD audio tracks from BR DVDs. I'm still marveling at how cool this thing runs compared to its Onkyo 606 and Denon 1909 predecessors (both returned for hardware issues).
post #47 of 3260 Old 08-13-2008, 06:32 AM

I got mine setup last night, still tweaking the speakers, the MCACC was off on my rears by about 2 dB, and the sub was really off, It could be my mistake though, so here's my question, if I have the X-Over set up to 80 on the receiver, does it have to be at 80 on the SUB itself? I'm thinking the setting could be overlapping, and that's why my sub seems to be off, thanks in adavnce, hopefully I'll have more time to play around with it this afternoon.
post #48 of 3260 Old 08-13-2008, 07:29 AM

If you rename an input does the receiver display the "renamed" input on the front panel when that input is selected?
post #49 of 3260 Old 08-13-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdon283 View Post

Does Best Buy have this receiver listed on their website?

No and you can only get it from a Best Buy store with Magnolia in it. I tried to order one from by local Best Buy store last Friday and they couldn't order it. They had to dig deep into their system to even find it. So Saturday the wife and I drove an hour and a half from Columbia, SC to Charlotte, NC to buy one. Charlotte was the closest city to us that had a Best By with Magnolia and since I was using my Best Buy card and a Best Buy gift card this was my only option.
post #50 of 3260 Old 08-13-2008, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer40k View Post

If you rename an input does the receiver display the "renamed" input on the front panel when that input is selected?

It sure does. So far mine are: HD DVD, BR DVD, Cable DVR
post #51 of 3260 Old 08-13-2008, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

It sure does. So far mine are: HD DVD, BR DVD, Cable DVR

I have "Sony PS3" so far.
post #52 of 3260 Old 08-13-2008, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone know if I can switch Multichannel on/off with a Harmony One Remote?

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

post #53 of 3260 Old 08-13-2008, 10:59 PM

Whats the going rate on this receiver? Ii saw 750 but was hoping for cheaper.
post #54 of 3260 Old 08-14-2008, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdon283 View Post

Whats the going rate on this receiver? Ii saw 750 but was hoping for cheaper.

Since I've gotten mine I haven't really been searching but most of the time I see them around the 750 mark.
post #55 of 3260 Old 08-14-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo.USMC View Post

Anyone know if I can switch Multichannel on/off with a Harmony One Remote?

There's a document on the Pioneer web site with all possible IR codes. Do a search for "VSX-01txh IR & HEX codes". Don't know if your requirement is covered.
post #56 of 3260 Old 08-14-2008, 11:12 AM

I have comcast HD cable (motorola HD dvr) - i'm wonder if there is a way to use the pioneer remote to control my cable. I have been able to figure out how to control my tv (only real need is to turn on/off) but not sure if its even possible to control the cable.

Looking at the pioneer remote, i may just opt to keep the comcast remote even if i can get it to work because it doesn't appear to have many of the functions that I would need, such as page up/down, on demand, etc.

-ah
post #57 of 3260 Old 08-14-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL53 View Post

There's a document on the Pioneer web site with all possible IR codes. Do a search for "VSX-01txh IR & HEX codes". Don't know if your requirement is covered.

The Multi Ch function is listed as:

Input System MULTI-CH IN A55E+A506

I don't have a fancy universal remote so I don't know if this is helpful. I DO know that if the Multi Ch In is accessible by an IR code, why isn't there a button/function to do so on the standard remote? I mean it IS one of the Inputs and is important enough to have its own button on the front panel.
post #58 of 3260 Old 08-14-2008, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguylikacurry View Post

I have comcast HD cable (motorola HD dvr) - i'm wonder if there is a way to use the pioneer remote to control my cable. I have been able to figure out how to control my tv (only real need is to turn on/off) but not sure if its even possible to control the cable.

Looking at the pioneer remote, i may just opt to keep the comcast remote even if i can get it to work because it doesn't appear to have many of the functions that I would need, such as page up/down, on demand, etc.

-ah

I tried to find my DTV remote code in the back of the manual. No go.

Look in the manual for the manufacturer to see if there is a code for it.
post #59 of 3260 Old 08-14-2008, 02:48 PM

I've had my VSX-01 for about a week - really liking it so far, though I hit a roadblock when checking out some of the listening modes.

I was playing a dvd (two-channel) using my Oppo dvd player through HDMI and wanted to check out Pro Logic II, Neo: 6, and Neural THX. When I press the "Standard" button to shift through the listening modes, nothing happens. The receiver shows a PCM signal, so shouldn't the surround modes be applicable?
post #60 of 3260 Old 08-14-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndd05 View Post

I've had my VSX-01 for about a week - really liking it so far, though I hit a roadblock when checking out some of the listening modes.

I was playing a dvd (two-channel) using my Oppo dvd player through HDMI and wanted to check out Pro Logic II, Neo: 6, and Neural THX. When I press the "Standard" button to shift through the listening modes, nothing happens. The receiver shows a PCM signal, so shouldn't the surround modes be applicable?

BTW, I'm able to change listening modes when the source is my cable box, however even then, sound is only output to the left, right and center speakers - the surrounds are silent.

Note: the surrounds are connected properly and work fine with multichannel sources
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page