AVS Forum banner

Official VSX-01TXH and VSX-03TXH Owners Thread

364K views 3K replies 472 participants last post by  Dfisch28 
#1 ·
Ok folks, be gentle with me. I've never started an "official" thread before. I figured I would start this thread as it seems I may be one of the first to get my hands on one.

I've already given a Reader's Digest rundown in the Pioneer Elite SC-07, SC-05, VSX-03TXH, VSX01TXH thread but I wanted to separate this unit out from the rest as there are some subtle differences.

I would imagine more people will be able to snap these units up as July comes to a close.

Bear in mind there may be some tests I don't currently have the capability to perform but I'll do my best to help. I still don't have a BD player to test yet as I'm waiting for the shakeout of the newer players. I'm eyeballing the Pio 51 right now but I need to read more from owners. I'm still waiting to hear that wonderful sound of DTS-HD and True HD but that still gives me something to look forward to.

For the most part, this unit is like the 1018AH-K but also has, THX Select2 and a 12volt trigger so a lot of answers to questions can be found in the Official VSX-1018AH-K Owners Thread.

Things I don't like.

GUI

Can't save individual input settings

No HDMI upscaling

No 720p or 1080i analog conversion

Too many things to list I do like but here are some neat things not really discussed much that I discovered.

Sound Retriever. Livens up my MP3s.

Neural THX. Pretty cool technology for 2 channel sound.

There are so many possible sound settings it's almost impossible to go through them all considering they can change depending on the signal input.

Some early surprises.

It seems the SD DVD analog conversion from the 01 is slightly better than my KURO PDP-5010FD, at least to my eyes. I never would have thought that. Your mileage may vary.

Overall this unit is a tweaker's dream. Don't we all like to tweak?

See less See more
#480 ·
Hi all-

I'm about to pull the trigger and buy the VSX-01TXH. I just wanted to double check that it will matrix bitstreamed 5.1 DTS-HD MA to 7.1. I've read all through this thread, and the owner's manual, and I'm 99% sure that it will, but would just like to verify with someone who owns the receiver. Thanks!

Also, the only other receiver that I seriously considered is the Denon AVR 2309ci. I'm assuming others made this comparison as well before selecting the Pioneer. What made you guys decide on the Pioneer? Apart from the fact that the Pioneer does THX select2, and the Denon doesn't but has an extra hdmi input, they seem pretty evenly matched. Thoughts? Thanks again.

BTW, I'm not a total noob, but I am close, as I've never bought anything quite this hi end before. Comments really are appreciated.

#481 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackbar114 /forum/post/0

I'm about to pull the trigger and buy the VSX-01TXH. I just wanted to double check that it will matrix bitstreamed 5.1 DTS-HD MA to 7.1. I've read all through this thread, and the owner's manual, and I'm 99% sure that it will, but would just like to verify with someone who owns the receiver. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatlinburger /forum/post/0

Anyone with any experience listening to a DTS HD Master audio track being decoded on the Pioneer while using an MCACC EQ setting? Can it do this while using an MCACC EQ setting?

Surely somebody knows the answer to these two questions

#482 ·
I almost always watch TV without my AVR. I also have a lot of DVDs that I made from stuff I converted from VHS, and I don't use the receiver for them. I handled that with my DVD player by running two outs. I'm planning on getting Panasonic 35, which just has HDMI video out. From what I've read in this thread, video through HDMI connected to the VSX-01 won't pass through to the TV with the receiver switched off. Is there any other way to accomplish what I want to do? The Denon 1909 seems to be able to do this.

#484 ·
Didn't this receiver come out this year or is this a year old receiver? How come am I seeing it being sold pretty darn cheap?

I am in the market for a new receiver and the 01 has caught my eye. Should I be looking for a newer receiver?

One other question, those who have been using this as a pre, any problems with setup etc? Just making sure.

Thanks

R~

#486 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackbar114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatlinburger

Anyone with any experience listening to a DTS HD Master audio track being decoded on the Pioneer while using an MCACC EQ setting? Can it do this while using an MCACC EQ setting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatlinburger /forum/post/15138342

Surely somebody knows the answer to these two questions

My take after reading the manual with the SBch Processing table (page 35) is:

Matrix dts-HD MA 5.1 to 7.1 - ONLY Advanced surround modes

Matrix dts-HD MA 6.1 to 7.1 - Standard/THX and Advanced

Matrix DD TrueHD 5.1 to 7.1 - Standard/THX and Advanced

Matrix DD TrueHD 6.1 to 7.1 - Standard/THX and Advanced

But the table on page 98 leads me to believe that with dts-HD MA 5.1, there are 3 THX modes possible that will give you 7.1 channels with SBch processing ON. So really, I think someone else needs to try this and answer it for you. Sorry.

I can answer the second question though. The MCACC EQ (if you went through the setup and have the EQ enabled) will be applied to any signal (Multi Ch input excluded) unless you have Pure Direct selected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredT /forum/post/0

I almost always watch TV without my AVR. I also have a lot of DVDs that I made from stuff I converted from VHS, and I don't use the receiver for them. I handled that with my DVD player by running two outs. I'm planning on getting Panasonic 35, which just has HDMI video out. From what I've read in this thread, video through HDMI connected to the VSX-01 won't pass through to the TV with the receiver switched off. Is there any other way to accomplish what I want to do? The Denon 1909 seems to be able to do this.

The 01 will not pass HDMI when off. The Denon will, but I saw a post on the official 1909/789 thread that in standby mode with HDMI passthrough enabled, it still uses 30 Watts. I'm not sure exactly what the 01 (or any other receiver) uses when it is on and not powering speakers, but I can't imagine there being a large difference. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this feature on the Denon seems to only be peace of mind and very little actual energy savings.

#487 ·
Just got very lucky and purchased an '01 on eBay for about $480 including shipping, brand new. I'll be replacing an older Denon. Thanks to all posters for info & advice!!!

Speakers: Triad 13" sub

Triad 5" + 1 3/4" sats

PSB center channel (3 speakers)

PSB bi-directional rear (two speakers each)

adding PSB to make 7.1 (1 forward speaker each)

Panasonic 52 inch

PS3 for Blu Ray

#489 ·
Well I just ordered one for myself for christmas. Ordered it from Will at videogon. Can't wait to get this bad boy going after the 25th!

#490 ·
Hello all, just joined the AV forum group after reading many, many posts and being impressed by the knowledge shared by members.

I got the bug to upgrade my HT about a month ago after buying a Sony S350 BD player. Sold my Pio 1016, picked up a Denon 789 which I quickly replaced with an Onkyo 606...wasn't impressed so that went back and I returned to Pioneer with the 1018...finally came to my senses and now I'm the proud owner of an Elite 01...whew...that's a lot of cable switching I tell ya!

For anyone on the fence about whether there's a difference between the 1018 and the 01, let me throw in my 2 cents and say there's a definite improvement in overall sound quality with the Elite...I'm not just saying that cause it costs more. The sound "field", if I can call it that, is much more encompassing with the 01. It just sounds richer to my untrained ears.

I have two questions for current owners:

1. With the Onkyo, I had the option of specifiying what resolution I wanted video to be upscaled to for each input (with all being passed by HDMI to my TV). I've noticed when I go to video parameters in the 01s menu, I get a CANNOT SELECT message. I take it this means there is no video scaling being done for components connected via HDMI to the receiver. Does this mean I cannot upscale the SD channels from my Motorola PVR to 1080i like I could with the Onkyo, or are those channels automatically upscaled.

2. Ever since I switched from my old 1016 to these next generation AVRs, I've noticed that dialogue from my center channel (Klipsch RC) varies from rich, full bodied sound to "reedy" or thin, somewhat harsh sound. I've noticed this variance while watching recorded HD television primarily. I have all my speakers set to small, but I'm considering switching my center channel to large with the hopes it will fill out the treble-biased dialogue a bit. Is this a bad idea?

Glad to be aboard, and looking forward to sharing ideas with you guys.

#491 ·
Hi. I am new to this forum. I have a problem and am looking for some help. I have the following:

Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH receiver

Pioneer Elite PRO-150FD 60" Plasma

Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD Blueray player

I have not upgraded speakers yet, so my front speakers are the ones that came with the plasma, and my rear are an old (20 years old?) set of small Bose with a small subwoofer. The Bose setup connects the sub to the receiver speaker outputs (not the sub outputs) and has a passive splitter that then sends the higher stuff to the small satalite speakers (no built in amp).

In otherwords, no real base from the system.

I connected the Blueray to the receiver with an optical cable, and the Blueray HDMI to the plasma (the Pioneer manual indicated it was best to run the audio through the receiver, but directly connect the HDMI to the plasma). Then when I went to set up the receiver for the Blueray input, I found that the optical input isn't an option to be associated with the Blueray input. I then connected the front, sub, and surround analog cables to the multichannel analog inputs. Now I can select the BD input and get the Blueray to work. With the optical cable I had to set it up for a DVR or something in order to select the optical. Any suggestions on how I should be connecting the BD player?

Next issue - I had planned on running the sub preamp out to my old receiver and driving my Cerwin Vega D9s (awsome low base response, especially with the Cerwin Vega base turbocharger) that are in the basement directly below the plasma display, as sub woofers (wife factor, too large for the living room). So far I have been unable to get ANYTHING out of the sub preamp output. Can I do this? If so, is there a setting that sends out all of the preamps at a fixed line level (not controlled with the volume on the receiver)? I have the old receiver in the basement and controlled with the original multiroom remote I have had for 20 years.

What other options do I have to use the old receiver and speakers with the sub woofer output?

In a few days I will have the SR+ cables connected between the plasma and the receiver, and the receiver and the BD player.

I know you will probably have a lot of questions, so I will try to check in a few times today.

Thanks,

Dave

#492 ·
Hi,

Just hooked up an 03 yesterday. Replaced a Denon 2803. Sounds great. This is my first venture into HDMI anything. Apparently it is normal when switching between components having to wait for the sound and especially the video...in my case about 5-10 seconds or so. It's rather annoying actually. I have a Mitsubishi 73835 and I'm used to the Mitsubishi interface as this is my third tv from them.

Two questions...and apologies in advance if this has been tirelessly deliberated here:

1) Is there any way I can get see what I'm doing on screen using the 03 to control everything, i.e., input device, volume, etc?

2) Is there any real advantage using HDMI control other than having to install fewer cables?

Here's what I have:

1) Mitsubishi 73835 DLP

2) DirecTV HD DVR

3) Cox HD Receiver

4) PS3

5) Panasonic Blu-Ray

Thanks,

Mitch

#493 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegroe /forum/post/15155422

Hi. I am new to this forum. I have a problem and am looking for some help. I have the following:

Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH receiver

Pioneer Elite PRO-150FD 60" Plasma

Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD Blueray player

I have not upgraded speakers yet, so my front speakers are the ones that came with the plasma, and my rear are an old (20 years old?) set of small Bose with a small subwoofer. The Bose setup connects the sub to the receiver speaker outputs (not the sub outputs) and has a passive splitter that then sends the higher stuff to the small satalite speakers (no built in amp).

In otherwords, no real base from the system.

I connected the Blueray to the receiver with an optical cable, and the Blueray HDMI to the plasma (the Pioneer manual indicated it was best to run the audio through the receiver, but directly connect the HDMI to the plasma). Then when I went to set up the receiver for the Blueray input, I found that the optical input isn't an option to be associated with the Blueray input. I then connected the front, sub, and surround analog cables to the multichannel analog inputs. Now I can select the BD input and get the Blueray to work. With the optical cable I had to set it up for a DVR or something in order to select the optical. Any suggestions on how I should be connecting the BD player?

Next issue - I had planned on running the sub preamp out to my old receiver and driving my Cerwin Vega D9s (awsome low base response, especially with the Cerwin Vega base turbocharger) that are in the basement directly below the plasma display, as sub woofers (wife factor, too large for the living room). So far I have been unable to get ANYTHING out of the sub preamp output. Can I do this? If so, is there a setting that sends out all of the preamps at a fixed line level (not controlled with the volume on the receiver)? I have the old receiver in the basement and controlled with the original multiroom remote I have had for 20 years.

What other options do I have to use the old receiver and speakers with the sub woofer output?

In a few days I will have the SR+ cables connected between the plasma and the receiver, and the receiver and the BD player.

I know you will probably have a lot of questions, so I will try to check in a few times today.

Thanks,

Dave

I'm no expert with setup or connections, but I connected my BDP-51FD to my VSX-03THX with an HDMI cable to the BD HDMI input on the receiver, then the receiver HDMI out to my Kuro with another HDMI cable. I've done the same with my cable box. Video & audio via HDMI is the way to go if you can. Not sure why you are connecting with the optical cable. My understanding is that you will not get the advanced audio options possible with blu-ray over the optical cable.

#494 ·
kinglm is correct, davegroe.. connect your Bluray HDMI directly to your VSX-03. With that combition, you will have one sweet setup.

You can check on the Blu-ray thread as to the best settings.

HDMI control should work great with your system as well. Experiment, play with it and have fun!

#495 ·
From page 65 of the VSX-01TXH manual:

To make the most of the SR+ features, you should

connect your source components (DVD player, etc.) in a

slightly different way to that described in this chapter. For

each component, connect the video output directly to the

flat panel TV, and just connect the audio (analog and/or

digital) to this receiver.

Any idea why this is in there? This is what I did for the Blueray player. I don't know why Pioneer would want you to connect the HDMI direct, and not through the receiver.

I need help moving out the PRO-150FD, I need to move it out of the entertainment center and set it on my workmate (luckily it is the exact same height as the entertainment center). Sucks that Pioneer put all of the cable connections on the 150 right in the center so you can't reach from either side (at least my arms are not long enough). Once I get help I can connect the SR+ cable between the TV and receiver. I already have one connected between the receiver and the Blueray. Supposedly the SR+ is better than the HDMI control....but not everyone on this forum agrees with that.

Back to one of my original questions, is there any way to get a line level sub signal from this receiver, that I can then run to my old receiver?

#496 ·
Well, I pretty much answered my own question last night when I confirmed the 01 only upconverts analogue inputs...HDMI passes through at the same resolution it's output. Now my question is, should I hook up my Motorola 6412 with component cables and optical sound rather than HDMI? By doing so, I assume the 01 will upscale the 480i SD content on non hi-def programs. I rarely watch the SD channels, so I'm thinking it's probably not worth it.

On another note, does anyone out there have the three digit code for my Motorola 6412 PVR...I can't get the remote on the 01 to recognize it...nor can I get it to work with my Sony S350 BD player. I really miss the remote that came with my old VSX 1016. I'm seriously considering ordering one up from Pioneer and hoping it's capable of controlling my new receiver.

I've been playing with the THX listening modes a bit...I never used them on my old 1016 because I felt they muffled the sound. With the 01, however, they really bring the sound field alive...chalk one more up for the Elite!

#497 ·
davegroe -- The "Sub" output from all Pioneer AVRs is a line level signal - see your manual, page 13 (in the "Pre-Out" section).

Uechiman -- The up-scaling question should also be in your manual (the chart on page 15 says you can, the control setting should be on page 79, but I couldn't find it).

#498 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uechiman /forum/post/15162602

Well, I pretty much answered my own question last night when I confirmed the 01 only upconverts analogue inputs...HDMI passes through at the same resolution it's output. Now my question is, should I hook up my Motorola 6412 with component cables and optical sound rather than HDMI? By doing so, I assume the 01 will upscale the 480i SD content on non hi-def programs. I rarely watch the SD channels, so I'm thinking it's probably not worth it.

Also, be careful. I was hoping the 01 would upconvert 720p on the component input to 1080i on the component output. It does not do that, or at least I can't for the life of me get it to work.

It may upconvert 480 sources, but that doesn't help, I have none. I wanted to convert Little Big Planet (720p or 480 only out of the PS3) to 1080i for my older rptv before my JVC RS20 gets here.

#499 ·
When I hit the video select option, I get "CANNOT SELECT"...no ability to change anything. I think the only time you can get into the video conversion menu is when you're using an analog input...if you're using hdmi into the receiver, it won't let you change anything.

As for the remote, I picked up a Harmony 659 for $70 at Best Buy...it does a great job of controlling everything in my system, including my 01. Too bad Pioneer cheaped out on the remote.

#500 ·
Got a VSX-LX51, an Asian version of 03TXH, yesterday.

And I encountered problem with the 12 V Trigger which I linked my PROCEED

power amp with LX51.

I set all inputs with 12 V trigger 1 to MAIN , but I can only switch the PROCEED on but can't switch it OFF when powering down the LX51 AV Amp.

Any ideas?

KK

#503 ·
I love my 01, after trying the onkyo 806 and denon 2808, the 01 had best of both worlds. Powerful, clean, and full of features.

What sound setting should I keep it on though? So many to choose from? I have my PS3 set on linear PCM. Also, should I do anything with the HDMI settings? thanks.