Official VSX-01TXH and VSX-03TXH Owners Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3261 Old 01-03-2009, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They both support a B Speaker setup using the Back Surround. Not sure how accurate your a/b testing will be between the two pairs of speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung View Post

Just wondering if you can use the Multi-zone capability of either of these two receivers to A/B test two different pairs of speakers?

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3261 Old 01-03-2009, 12:24 PM

I have a fairly old VSX07, with no HDMI. I recently added a LGBD300 to the Comcast HD DVR. THe Comcast is hdmi to the Panasonic projector and optical to the receiver. The Blu ray is component to the projector and digital coax to the receiver.
The problem is the sub fires and sounds great, but I no longer see the LFE light come on.

Any ideas?
post #723 of 3261 Old 01-03-2009, 12:39 PM

Maybe the LFE light/indicator has burned out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarp3234 View Post

I have a fairly old VSX07, with no HDMI. I recently added a LGBD300 to the Comcast HD DVR. THe Comcast is hdmi to the Panasonic projector and optical to the receiver. The Blu ray is component to the projector and digital coax to the receiver.
The problem is the sub fires and sounds great, but I no longer see the LFE light come on.

Any ideas?

Ken
post #724 of 3261 Old 01-03-2009, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post

Another factor to consider is that, though the part may be the same, the QA is more stringent for Elites (3% max deviation from spec v. 5% for regular Pios).

That statement is made quite often on the internet. As an Elite owner, I'd like to believe it, but I've never seen such a claim by Pioneer. Maybe I just haven't looked in the right place. Can anyone cite an authoritative source?
post #725 of 3261 Old 01-03-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slcpilot View Post

Hey everyone... Im new to this site so I apologize if this question doesn't belong here but hopefully i can get some good advice. Im not crazy knowledgeable with receiver's and speakers so bear with me. I just purchased my new Pioneer VSX-01TXH so my next purchase is a good set of speakers to take advantage and truly get the value of this great receiver. Right now Im really leaning towards the Bose Acoustimass® 10 speaker system. Before I drop the cash on this I was wondering if these speakers can handle this receivers power, and just simply if you experts that easily know much more than me would recommend this setup. For Bose specs go to-reviews.cnet.com/surround-speaker-systems/bose-acoustimass-10-series/4507-7868_7-32010744.html?tag=mncol;rnav. Any input and advice would be greatly appreciated. I went a bit out on a limb to purchase this receiver so I just want to make sure I get speakers to make it worth my hard earned cash. Thank You!

I have the VSX-01TXH and have it hooked up to the 5.1 Orb Mod2 and the system sounds GREAT. Apparently you want small cube speakers if you are considering the Bose set-up. I say go with Orb, not Bose.
post #726 of 3261 Old 01-03-2009, 01:59 PM

I would have to agree with you, I've never seem it mentioned by Pioneer. The Elite does have a 2 year warranty instead of 1 on the regular Pioneer. I went for the 01 over the 1018 because of the 12v trigger. I use the 01 as a pre/pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

That statement is made quite often on the internet. As an Elite owner, I'd like to believe it, but I've never seen such a claim by Pioneer. Maybe I just haven't looked in the right place. Can anyone cite an authoritative source?

Ken
post #727 of 3261 Old 01-03-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by facke02 View Post

They should be fine as long as they don't touch, mine stick out some too.

facke02, I have replaced it with a new unit but it's still not working. Unfortunately, it's still doing the same thing. I can't even get through the audio set up without it turning off and the phase control light blinking. I'm about ready to just return the receiver and get my money back. I'm not an expert on receivers, but I can't see anything I'm doing wrong. ( I have installed 2 receivers within the past few years, generally they all install the same. ) I checked the polarity, all the plugs are in there correctly, power it on, and to no avail. At least i'll get money back.
post #728 of 3261 Old 01-03-2009, 04:37 PM

Not sure where exactly the problem arises. I have a DISH DVR and Samsung 2500 Blu Ray player hooked up to the THX 01 AVR, both by HDMI cables.

If I am watching a movie on the Samsung 2500 and PAUSE the movie to go over and watch TV then the video and audio work fine in watching TV from the DISH DVR. But then if I switch back to the Samsung 2500 Blu Ray player to resume watching the DVD, I get Video but no Audio at all. Funny thing I found out by trial and error is that if I push PLAY on the Samsung (that was on pause) right before I switch the Pioneer 01 back to the Samsung then all works fine.

Bottom line is that if I switch the Pioneer 01 AVR over to the Samsung 2500 that was on Pause, then I have no audio working once I push Play again on the Samsung. So which is the culprit? Since the Audio works on the DISH DVR when switched over then I would think it is a Samsung problem but not sure.
post #729 of 3261 Old 01-03-2009, 05:03 PM

Is it all sources or just the Samsung Blu-ray player? Disconnect everything but your cable box and start there. If that works, add one source at a time until it stops working. I had all kinds of problems with my cable box. I ended up putting a new HDMI cable on it and it worked fine. I had a problem with my Samsung 1500 on another setup, no signal. It was the HDMI cable that was bad there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdon283 View Post

facke02, I have replaced it with a new unit but it's still not working. Unfortunately, it's still doing the same thing. I can't even get through the audio set up without it turning off and the phase control light blinking. I'm about ready to just return the receiver and get my money back. I'm not an expert on receivers, but I can't see anything I'm doing wrong. ( I have installed 2 receivers within the past few years, generally they all install the same. ) I checked the polarity, all the plugs are in there correctly, power it on, and to no avail. At least i'll get money back.

Ken
post #730 of 3261 Old 01-03-2009, 05:05 PM

Does the Samsung 2500 have the latest firmware? If not, I would update it and then try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVOL View Post

Not sure where exactly the problem arises. I have a DISH DVR and Samsung 2500 Blu Ray player hooked up to the THX 01 AVR, both by HDMI cables.

If I am watching a movie on the Samsung 2500 and PAUSE the movie to go over and watch TV then the video and audio work fine in watching TV from the DISH DVR. But then if I switch back to the Samsung 2500 Blu Ray player to resume watching the DVD, I get Video but no Audio at all. Funny thing I found out by trial and error is that if I push PLAY on the Samsung (that was on pause) right before I switch the Pioneer 01 back to the Samsung then all works fine.

Bottom line is that if I switch the Pioneer 01 AVR over to the Samsung 2500 that was on Pause, then I have no audio working once I push Play again on the Samsung. So which is the culprit? Since the Audio works on the DISH DVR when switched over then I would think it is a Samsung problem but not sure.

Ken
post #731 of 3261 Old 01-03-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:

Is it all sources or just the Samsung Blu-ray player? Disconnect everything but your cable box and start there. If that works, add one source at a time until it stops working. I had all kinds of problems with my cable box. I ended up putting a new HDMI cable on it and it worked fine. I had a problem with my Samsung 1500 on another setup, no signal. It was the HDMI cable that was bad there too.

Well here's the thing. It worked great for a few hours the first time and then once I turned up the volume ( using a blu ray ), power died down. Theres a thing in the manual about turning it up to too loud and then the power shutting off. Well, it's shutting off now at the MCACC setup. I also noticed that the left speaker during the MCACC setup testing ( the staticy noise ) was a little lower in volume and made different noises than all the other speakers. Not sure how much significane that is. But like I said, the power will just shut off and the "Phase Control" Light will just blink. I don't think it's the HDMI cables at all, because I received a picture at one time with them. Plus, they are $179.99 cables, the Monster M1000 Series. Not to mention the manual mentions this specific thing and does not relate it to any HDMI cables. I am positive there is nothing wrong with the speaker cables being set up I am obviously doing something wrong that I just don't know about, but I can't believe how ridiculous a receiver setup could be. If anyone knows anything about this issue, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know, if not, I'm just gonna take it back unfortunately.
post #732 of 3261 Old 01-03-2009, 05:25 PM

Take the banana plugs off and run bare wire to the receiver.

Quote:

I also noticed that the left speaker during the MCACC setup testing ( the staticy noise ) was a little lower in volume and made different noises than all the other speakers. Not sure how much significane that is.

Ken
post #733 of 3261 Old 01-03-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:

Take the banana plugs off and run bare wire to the receiver.

I used bare wire on the old receiver and it still did the same thing.

Anything else you can think of?
post #734 of 3261 Old 01-03-2009, 05:30 PM

Check your PM.

Quote:

I used bare wire on the old receiver and it still did the same thing.

Anything else you can think of?

Ken
post #735 of 3261 Old 01-03-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:

Does the Samsung 2500 have the latest firmware? If not, I would update it and then try again.

I updated the Samsung 2500 Firmware in Mid December i order to get the Netflix High Def downloads which works fine. Is there a new Firmware since then?

As a little test I put my DISH DVR on PAUSE and then switched over to the Samsung 2500 on the Pioneer 01 AVR. I then switched back over to the DISH DVR and pushed PLAY. It worked fine going that way.

Where I get no Audio is when I put the Samsung 2500 on PAUSE and then go over to the DISH DVR by switching the Pioneer 01 AVR. Then when I switch back to the Samsung and push PLAY I get Video but no audio for some reason. I still am guessing this is a Samsung problem since it only happens with the Samsung 2500.
post #736 of 3261 Old 01-03-2009, 05:55 PM

Not sure if there are any additional updates to the 2500, I have the 1500 and it's in a different system. It's either the Samsung or just HDMI issues in general. I have then all the time with my SA 8300 canble box. I've just learned how to dela with them. It sounds like you have an ackward work around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVOL View Post

I updated the Samsung 2500 Firmware in Mid December i order to get the Netflix High Def downloads which works fine. Is there a new Firmware since then?

As a little test I put my DISH DVR on PAUSE and then switched over to the Samsung 2500 on the Pioneer 01 AVR. I then switched back over to the DISH DVR and pushed PLAY. It worked fine going that way.

Where I get no Audio is when I put the Samsung 2500 on PAUSE and then go over to the DISH DVR by switching the Pioneer 01 AVR. Then when I switch back to the Samsung and push PLAY I get Video but no audio for some reason. I still am guessing this is a Samsung problem since it only happens with the Samsung 2500.

Ken
post #737 of 3261 Old 01-04-2009, 01:05 PM

facke02 and I have been discussing my issue. I was just curious whether or not anyone else has experienced this problem? My Receiver will power off and the Phase Control Light will blink. The manual says to check the wiring to make sure nothing is touching the back panel. Well, I am using banana plugs ( flex pin.) So this cannot be the case. Here's the odd situation.

( I exchanged my first unit because I thought there was something wrong with it, but this one is doing it too, so it's obviously me. )

1. Left Front Speaker makes a diff and lower noise than all the others during the MCACC set up.

2. Unplug it, and it goes through the setup without powering off.

3. Put the right front speaker and connect it to the left speaker wire, it powers off IMMEDIATELY.

4. Take both front out and run MCACC and it powers off immediately.

Anyone have such a problem? I know it's got to be something little or dumb I'm doing, but I just can't figure it out. I am going to be calling Pioneer Technical Support tomorrow morning, hopefully they can guide me through it.
post #738 of 3261 Old 01-05-2009, 07:41 AM

Can someone confirm that Will2 who sells Pioneer products on Audiogon is an authorized dealer. Also, does it matter how far away I am (I heard these deep discounts are only within 250 miles of the dealer). Thanks
post #739 of 3261 Old 01-05-2009, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
As far as I can tell, his store is authorized.

Technically, if you are >200 miles from him (or whatever the distance is) it doesn't 'count' as really authorized. Unclear if somebody has really tested it and tried to get warranty service.

However, I didn't actually make my connection through videogon (the site never seemed to want to register me). I made a direct phone call to an authorized dealer, told them I was from Texas, and made the purchase. No warranty limitation was mentioned anywhere. If/when I need warranty service, I'm willing to fight that battle.

Paul Meyer
Bee Cave (Austin), TX

The MeyerHT is open for business!
post #740 of 3261 Old 01-05-2009, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:

facke02 and I have been discussing my issue. I was just curious whether or not anyone else has experienced this problem? My Receiver will power off and the Phase Control Light will blink. The manual says to check the wiring to make sure nothing is touching the back panel. Well, I am using banana plugs ( flex pin.) So this cannot be the case. Here's the odd situation.

( I exchanged my first unit because I thought there was something wrong with it, but this one is doing it too, so it's obviously me. )

1. Left Front Speaker makes a diff and lower noise than all the others during the MCACC set up.

2. Unplug it, and it goes through the setup without powering off.

3. Put the right front speaker and connect it to the left speaker wire, it powers off IMMEDIATELY.

4. Take both front out and run MCACC and it powers off immediately.

Anyone have such a problem? I know it's got to be something little or dumb I'm doing, but I just can't figure it out. I am going to be calling Pioneer Technical Support tomorrow morning, hopefully they can guide me through it.

Check the outlet you are running the AVR from. Make sure it is not overloaded. I try to split out my sub, AVR, and display over three outlets if possible.

BTW the manual says in the troubleshooting section if the receiver suddenly powers off, do not try to re-power, something is wrong contact pioneer or service professional.

Check the impedance of the speakers and make sure they are not below 8ohms. If they are switch the impedance selector on the back of the receiver. Check to make sure the L speaker is not faulty. Maybe a shorted voice coil could give the receiver problems? Repeat your step 1. with the right speaker in place of the Left. Switch the right front speaker with the left see if the receiver still goes trought setup without the left channel hooked up. If you reproduce the same results with the speakers "switched" then you can rule them out.

Re-check wiring, is it in-wall? check for shorted wires and loose connections. If wires are long/hidden/in-wall cut short test speaker cables with a small mockup surround system. Setup the speakers all close together < 3ft from receiver. The MCCAC setup probably won't work with this, but you should be able to see if the receiver powers off when you play this small scale mockup.
post #741 of 3261 Old 01-05-2009, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guiness4me View Post

Can someone confirm that Will2 who sells Pioneer products on Audiogon is an authorized dealer. Also, does it matter how far away I am (I heard these deep discounts are only within 250 miles of the dealer). Thanks

Yes they are an authorized dealer.

I don't want to get them in trouble with Pioneer or other dealers, so I won't mention their store name in a public forum, but if you call them you'll find out. You can then verify that they are on the authorized list at Pioneer's website.

I'm within 200 miles, but had a VSX-01 shipped directly to my daughter who is more than 1500 miles away.
post #742 of 3261 Old 01-05-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

Yes they are an authorized dealer.

I don't want to get them in trouble with Pioneer or other dealers, so I won't mention their store name in a public forum, but if you call them you'll find out. You can then verify that they are on the authorized list at Pioneer's website.

I verified this earlier today too. Spoke with Will, asked about warranty service, he said "You just let us know if there's a problem and we'll take care of you." Based upon all the other feedback I've seen, I think they are reputable and dependable.

I was about to pull the trigger with powersellernyc, and their terms basically left you stranded 10 days after purchase unless you purchased an aftermarket warranty. It was too iffy, so luckily I canceled my order there and emailed Will2.
post #743 of 3261 Old 01-05-2009, 11:35 PM

First i am sorry if this has been discussed before, i did my share of research and i could not come up with a definitive answer.

I just bought the VSX-03TXH and hooked up my PS3 via HDMI. When i set the PS3 to Bitstream, i would assume that if i select a True-HD track the receiver would show Dolby or something... it's always showing PCM. If i set the PS3 to LPCM, same thing. It shows PCM (as expected).

I read that the PS3 cannot output True-HD and DTS-HD via bitstream and that the only way to listen to those codecs is via LPCM. Is that true?

If i had a 1.3 compatible Blu Ray player other than the PS3 would it show True-HD or DTS-HD in the receiver LCD when decoding these formats?

My TIVO is connected through HDMI as well and the receiver switches to the right format when flipping through channels (Dolby 5.1, Stereo etc...) and also shows which speaker configuration is being used in the receiver's LCD.

When i watch BDs via bitstream or LPCM it shows PCM and that's all. No speaker configuration or format.

It does sound good though and when i change from True-HD to Dolby 5.1 i hear a pretty big difference. I'm just not sure what's happening because the display is not showing any info.
post #744 of 3261 Old 01-06-2009, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvguitar View Post

...If i had a 1.3 compatible Blu Ray player other than the PS3 would it show True-HD or DTS-HD in the receiver LCD when decoding these formats?...

I can't speak about the PS3 (it's idiosyncrasies get discussed all the time in these forums, but I generally ignore them), but the answer to this part of your question is "Yes."

The receiver shows these messages when it is doing the decoding. It cannot tell when the signal has already been decoded, as I believe is the case with the PS3.
post #745 of 3261 Old 01-06-2009, 12:45 PM

Got the info i needed. I'll just have to live without the DTS and DOLBY lights in the receiver LCD when using the PS3 via LPCM.

The PS3 will not bitstream HD codecs because the hardware cannot do it.

The end.
post #746 of 3261 Old 01-07-2009, 05:18 PM

I just setup my Pioneer Elite VSX01 and I have everything using HDMI, with the exception of one device. My kids Ninento Wii. With the Wii, I purchased component cables for it, and I have it connected to the component input on the receiver.

I cannot get a picture from it, and it seems that the component inputs have to be assigned through the setup menu. The problem I have is the setup menu will not come up on the screen.

What's the trick? I cannot seem to find any mention of this in the manual, it just says turn the receiver on, and turn the TV on, and press setup.

I saw in a different thread about a slightly different Pioneer receiver that said that the menu would only display through HDMI if HDMI control was turned on. Well, my Samsung LCD has HDMI control turned on, and I just found that the default setting for the receiver is to have HDMI control turned on (and being I cannot access the setup menu I don't see how I could have turned it off).

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it or not, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do I have to hook up my TV through a plain old composite connection and chose that source from the TV?
post #747 of 3261 Old 01-07-2009, 07:11 PM

I just got mine hooked up as well...I ran into the same problem. Look at the bottom of the remote and press receiver and then press setup
post #748 of 3261 Old 01-07-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guiness4me View Post

I just got mine hooked up as well...I ran into the same problem. Look at the bottom of the remote and press receiver and then press setup

Okay, I feel pretty stupid. When the instructions said press receiver, all I saw was the button that turns it on, and I never saw the bottom at the bottom.

I really appreciate the pointer. Now I have the picture for the Wii coming out on my TV assigned to the DVD.

Hey, how can I get the sound to come out, its assigned to the CD, as its the only inputs?
post #749 of 3261 Old 01-07-2009, 08:50 PM

Liked: 15
Greetings
I am zeroing in on a Pioneer unit and when I checked specs, the 91TXH appears better for the following reasons:
-better Dac, uses SHARC , the next level up
-next level up Amplifier similar to the Upper Elites (same power output as the 01 though)

The cons are:
-the 91 is slightly older...not a big deal to me.
-one less HDMI input (two is ok for me)
-wont upscale to 1080p, my Sony does that....so I "assume" this is not an issue.
-does not have neural THX decoder.... I dont think this is a big deal for me...
Am I missing anything ?, if not, I will pull the trigger on the 91TXH. Your comments appreciated.
Here is a review for the 91TXH http://hometheatermag.com/receivers/...rec/index.html
You can see mfr specs here to compare
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...EliteReceivers

Edit: Pulled the trigger on the newer model-The 01TXH , looks like the DAC is more similar to the SC models.
post #750 of 3261 Old 01-07-2009, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexicon1 View Post

Greetings
I am zeroing in on a Pioneer unit and when I checked specs, the 91TXH appears better for the following reasons:
-better Dac, uses SHARC , the next level up
-next level up Amplifier similar to the Upper Elites (same power output as the 01 though)

The cons are:
-the 91 is slightly older...not a big deal to me.
-one less HDMI input (two is ok for me)
-wont upscale to 1080p, my Sony does that....so I "assume" this is not an issue.
-does not have neural THX decoder.... I dont think this is a big deal for me...
Am I missing anything ?, if not, I will pull the trigger on the 91TXH. Your comments appreciated.
Here is a review for the 91TXH http://hometheatermag.com/receivers/...rec/index.html
You can see mfr specs here to compare
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...EliteReceivers

The both the 2007 models 90/91 and 2008 models VSX-01/03 are in the entry level elite tier. For the higher end elites you would have to step up to the 92/94 from the 2007 year or the SC-05/SC-07 from 2008 with the flagship being the SC-09. The VSX-01TXH/VSX-03TXH have THX Select2 Plus versus THX Select2 for the 91TXH if that is important to you. The VSX-01TXH/03TXH might also have better IPOD integration/compatibility.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page