Official VSX-01TXH and VSX-03TXH Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 3260 Old 08-15-2008, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
howellk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndd05 View Post

BTW, I'm able to change listening modes when the source is my cable box, however even then, sound is only output to the left, right and center speakers - the surrounds are silent.

Note: the surrounds are connected properly and work fine with multichannel sources

Hmm, all of that does sound kind of strange.

I have an old DVD two channel player and I can get all of the listening modes with the "standard" button.

So you're saying while watching your cable you can select "standard" and go through all of the modes but none of them play your surround speakers?

If so, that doesn't sound right either.

I'll have to play around with mine to see if I can reproduce your problems in any way.
howellk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 3260 Old 08-15-2008, 10:50 AM
Member
 
jp_stargazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndd05 View Post

BTW, I'm able to change listening modes when the source is my cable box, however even then, sound is only output to the left, right and center speakers - the surrounds are silent.

Note: the surrounds are connected properly and work fine with multichannel sources

I had an odd experience with my PS3 where the 01 showed 5.1 channel PCM during music playback but I was only hearing stereo (which I wanted) but it wouldn't allow me to apply certain sound modes or apply Sound Retriever because the 01 wasn't seeing it as a 2 channel source I think. I don't know if this was because of settings on the PS3 side or the way the 01 handles PCM. I'll have to experiment.
jp_stargazer is offline  
post #63 of 3260 Old 08-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Member
 
ndd05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last night it seemed like a couple of the modes provided nearly inaudible sound from the rear speakers when watching cable, though most provided none that I could hear. And I wasn't able to switch standard listening modes at all when listening to music through the dvd player. I'm going to sit down with it when I get home today and perform a more thorough inspection - I'll report back with what I come up with.
ndd05 is offline  
post #64 of 3260 Old 08-15-2008, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cawgijoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Centreville, VA
Posts: 2,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndd05 View Post

I've had my VSX-01 for about a week - really liking it so far, though I hit a roadblock when checking out some of the listening modes.

I was playing a dvd (two-channel) using my Oppo dvd player through HDMI and wanted to check out Pro Logic II, Neo: 6, and Neural THX. When I press the "Standard" button to shift through the listening modes, nothing happens. The receiver shows a PCM signal, so shouldn't the surround modes be applicable?

I'm not sure.....but do you have to hit the "receiver" button on the remote first to get the shifting to work? Just guessing since I'm not at home.....
cawgijoe is offline  
post #65 of 3260 Old 08-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Member
 
ndd05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It looks like there might be a compatibility issue between my Oppo 980H and the VSX-01 over HDMI. When I use an optical audio connection, the listening modes work just fine. So not sure exactly where the error would be occurring, but I guess I'll just have to use an additional audio connection or stick to regular two-channel when listening to music (which I admit isn't often with this setup).

The cable box has me stumped though. This doesn't make any sense to me, but the listening modes only seem to work on one particular cable channel - when I switch to any other channel I don't hear anything out of the surround speakers.
ndd05 is offline  
post #66 of 3260 Old 08-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
Geronimo.USMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Someone figured out the TV codes for the damn remote on the 1018 owners thread. Glad I still follow it for times like this.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1344

HTPC/Gaming Rig:
Silverstone CW02B, I7 3930K, 16GB, ASUS Rampage IV Formula
EVGA Signature Titan> 70 inch ELITE PRO-70X5FD
Auzen HDMI XFi> 7.2 via Marantz AV8801>Wyred4Sound, & Emotiva Amps>Paradigm 100'sV5, ADP590'sV5, 690v5, 20v5's, + Dual HSU-ULS15 Subs

Controlling: Two CX7000ES's via MyMovies
Geronimo.USMC is offline  
post #67 of 3260 Old 08-16-2008, 07:18 PM
Senior Member
 
scuderia uno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe View Post

I'm not sure.....but do you have to hit the "receiver" button on the remote first to get the shifting to work? Just guessing since I'm not at home.....

Cawgijoe, did you return your 1018 and got an 01? If so, did you get it at BB/Magnolia too? How much did they charge? I'm contemplating on exchanging my 1018 with an 01, too. I have until the 1st week of Sept. The last time I checked with my local Magnolia, they're still selling it at $849
Also, did they accept the 12% discount?
Sorry if I have lots of questions..
scuderia uno is offline  
post #68 of 3260 Old 08-16-2008, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cawgijoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Centreville, VA
Posts: 2,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderia uno View Post

Cawgijoe, did you return your 1018 and got an 01? If so, did you get it at BB/Magnolia too? How much did they charge? I'm contemplating on exchanging my 1018 with an 01, too. I have until the 1st week of Sept. The last time I checked with my local Magnolia, they're still selling it at $849
Also, did they accept the 12% discount?
Sorry if I have lots of questions..

No problem!

Yes I did. At Magnolia. I got them to match the Pioneer price which is now on-line at Pioneer....$750.....and I used a 10% off coupon......I did not have a 12%. They accepted without a problem.
cawgijoe is offline  
post #69 of 3260 Old 08-17-2008, 10:40 AM
Member
 
COOLRIVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_stargazer View Post

I had an odd experience with my PS3 where the 01 showed 5.1 channel PCM during music playback but I was only hearing stereo (which I wanted) but it wouldn't allow me to apply certain sound modes or apply Sound Retriever because the 01 wasn't seeing it as a 2 channel source I think. I don't know if this was because of settings on the PS3 side or the way the 01 handles PCM. I'll have to experiment.

From what I have read, this is a glitch with the PS3 not the AVR.

PS3 sends out max channels selected, so,

If PS3 has a 7.1 selected and the source is 5.1 = The PS3 will send 7 channels PCM = 5 channels with sound, 2 channels no sound. The AVR sees 7 channels and therefore will not apply any matrix processes.

Should be the same for 2 channel sources.

So now, you need to look at every movie (cd) to see if it is 2 channel, 5.1, or 7.1, and go into the PS3 and uncheck any settings higher than source material.
COOLRIVER is offline  
post #70 of 3260 Old 08-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Member
 
ndd05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndd05 View Post

The cable box has me stumped though. This doesn't make any sense to me, but the listening modes only seem to work on one particular cable channel - when I switch to any other channel I don't hear anything out of the surround speakers.

I brought my old Panasonic XR-55 up from the basement and the same thing happens. Looks like the issue is with the cable box or Charter, and not with the VSX-01. Makes me feel better at least.
ndd05 is offline  
post #71 of 3260 Old 08-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Senior Member
 
tlh1005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone every compared this receiver to the VSX-91TXH? I have been going back and forth on different receivers and have settled on the Pioneer but can't decide between these two. The VSX-01TXH looks better on paper but I can get the VSX-91TXH for about $50 less since it is older. Seems like the newer VSX-01TXH has better video processing from what I've read.

Anyone have any insight into why I should chose one of these models over the other?

Thanks,
Troy
tlh1005 is offline  
post #72 of 3260 Old 08-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Member
 
jp_stargazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLRIVER View Post

From what I have read, this is a glitch with the PS3 not the AVR.

PS3 sends out max channels selected, so,

If PS3 has a 7.1 selected and the source is 5.1 = The PS3 will send 7 channels PCM = 5 channels with sound, 2 channels no sound. The AVR sees 7 channels and therefore will not apply any matrix processes.

Should be the same for 2 channel sources.

So now, you need to look at every movie (cd) to see if it is 2 channel, 5.1, or 7.1, and go into the PS3 and uncheck any settings higher than source material.

Hmm, this is disappointing. Now I can't use Sound Retriever on the mp3's on my PS3. I guess I could put the optical cable back and switch back and forth in the audio settings, but that seems like a pain. I'm guessing the supplied AV cable for the PS3 would yield a similar hassle (I've never even used it). Why, Sony, why?!?
jp_stargazer is offline  
post #73 of 3260 Old 08-18-2008, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Trackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Sacramento,Ca., usa
Posts: 1,207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh1005 View Post

Has anyone every compared this receiver to the VSX-91TXH? I have been going back and forth on different receivers and have settled on the Pioneer but can't decide between these two. The VSX-01TXH looks better on paper but I can get the VSX-91TXH for about $50 less since it is older. Seems like the newer VSX-01TXH has better video processing from what I've read.

Anyone have any insight into why I should chose one of these models over the other?

Thanks,
Troy

The 01 uses a new board layout with different (more efficient) amps than prior 110 wpc models, though I don't know the details. Mine barely gets warm even after being used for several hours in an 80 degree room. Another forum member told me to definitely go with the 01 over the 91.

Go Duke !
Trackman is offline  
post #74 of 3260 Old 08-18-2008, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Trackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Sacramento,Ca., usa
Posts: 1,207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe View Post

No problem!

Yes I did. At Magnolia. I got them to match the Pioneer price which is now on-line at Pioneer....$750.....and I used a 10% off coupon......I did not have a 12%. They accepted without a problem.

The Mag I went to price-matched Pio but wouldn't allow the coupon on top of the price-match. My experience with this (match + coupon) has been hit and miss.

Go Duke !
Trackman is offline  
post #75 of 3260 Old 08-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Senior Member
 
scuderia uno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post

The Mag I went to price-matched Pio but wouldn't allow the coupon on top of the price-match. My experience with this (match + coupon) has been hit and miss.

Same here. I guess I just have to wait 'til BB/Mag "officially" announce the 01. Maybe then, they'll price it at $749. For right now, I'm ok with my 1018.
scuderia uno is offline  
post #76 of 3260 Old 08-18-2008, 09:29 PM
Senior Member
 
mcdon283's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will the VX01 and 91 have 100% COMPLETE STRAIGHT PURE passthrough? Because I have a high end tv thats 120 HZ, and a blu ray that outputs pure 1080p/24, and I want to make this receiver will alow pure passthrough via HDMI. I don't care about how well the video processor works since I'll be using only HDMI. Anyone?
mcdon283 is offline  
post #77 of 3260 Old 08-19-2008, 06:46 AM
Member
 
jp_stargazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdon283 View Post

Will the VX01 and 91 have 100% COMPLETE STRAIGHT PURE passthrough? Because I have a high end tv thats 120 HZ, and a blu ray that outputs pure 1080p/24, and I want to make this receiver will alow pure passthrough via HDMI. I don't care about how well the video processor works since I'll be using only HDMI. Anyone?

All signs point to yes. The manual and Pioneer support have told me that NO processing is performed on any input HDMI video signal, regardless of Video Converter/Resolution settings. I did not notice any alterations either, and I run every component through my 01, 24 and 60 fps sources. All video looks the same as it did with my VSX80 having pass-through only.

Also, for clarification, the "Direct" and "Pure Direct" modes on the 01 pertain to audio. I know there was some confusion about this originally.
jp_stargazer is offline  
post #78 of 3260 Old 08-19-2008, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
Geronimo.USMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL53 View Post

There's a document on the Pioneer web site with all possible IR codes. Do a search for "VSX-01txh IR & HEX codes". Don't know if your requirement is covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_stargazer View Post

The Multi Ch function is listed as:

Input System MULTI-CH IN A55E+A506

I don't have a fancy universal remote so I don't know if this is helpful. I DO know that if the Multi Ch In is accessible by an IR code, why isn't there a button/function to do so on the standard remote? I mean it IS one of the Inputs and is important enough to have its own button on the front panel.

You guys are great. This along with the "626" device code for my Samsung 71F should cure my only doggone gripes. Now to find/ wait for "BIG RIVER" for a Logitech 550 for 50 bux! Pops up every once in a while for that price. I got my 01 from VE for an incredible pre order price.

HTPC/Gaming Rig:
Silverstone CW02B, I7 3930K, 16GB, ASUS Rampage IV Formula
EVGA Signature Titan> 70 inch ELITE PRO-70X5FD
Auzen HDMI XFi> 7.2 via Marantz AV8801>Wyred4Sound, & Emotiva Amps>Paradigm 100'sV5, ADP590'sV5, 690v5, 20v5's, + Dual HSU-ULS15 Subs

Controlling: Two CX7000ES's via MyMovies
Geronimo.USMC is offline  
post #79 of 3260 Old 08-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Senior Member
 
mcdon283's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This receiver is no where to be found, and considering theres only 3 pages of thread, I'm not sure how good this receiver is. Hmmm..is this better than the 91?
mcdon283 is offline  
post #80 of 3260 Old 08-19-2008, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Cal1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post

The 01 uses a new board layout with different (more efficient) amps than prior 110 wpc models, though I don't know the details. Mine barely gets warm even after being used for several hours in an 80 degree room.

I can confirm that. My 01, like yours, is after 3 hours, moderately warm. I have no problem putting the palm of my hand on its top.
Cal1981 is online now  
post #81 of 3260 Old 08-19-2008, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Cal1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdon283 View Post

Will the VX01 and 91 have 100% COMPLETE STRAIGHT PURE passthrough? Because I have a high end tv thats 120 HZ, and a blu ray that outputs pure 1080p/24, and I want to make this receiver will alow pure passthrough via HDMI. I don't care about how well the video processor works since I'll be using only HDMI. Anyone?

That's correct. The receiver sends, to my HDTV, whatever resolution it receives from an HDMI input. My understanding is that Pioneer decided not to allow any video processing from HDMI. I've played numerous BR, HD and SD DVDs via HDMI and have seen no evidence of any processing of the pure signal. I did, however, hook my SHVS deck to an S-Video input and played around with the various upscaling settings. At 1080P, the picture was pretty soft and locked into widescreeen. Some tapes looked a bit better at 720P, but truthfully, most looked the best in the Pure mode which is native resolution and aspect ratio.
Cal1981 is online now  
post #82 of 3260 Old 08-19-2008, 03:56 PM
Senior Member
 
scuderia uno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those who have this AVR, how good is the THX Loudness Plus on this receiver? (If it has this feature).
scuderia uno is offline  
post #83 of 3260 Old 08-20-2008, 09:25 AM
Member
 
jp_stargazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdon283 View Post

This receiver is no where to be found, and considering theres only 3 pages of thread, I'm not sure how good this receiver is. Hmmm..is this better than the 91?

Well, we lost a lot of the "anticipation" threads because of the outage of the site several weeks ago. Also, you can sift through the 01/03/05/07 thread because there is a LOT about the 01 there.

Or are you talking about dealer availability? If you are, just look through this thread, I think a handful of dealers have been listed, all of which should have the 01 in stock.

I was originally going to get a 91 but when I heard that the 01 was coming out, after comparing the specs, I opted to wait for the 01.
jp_stargazer is offline  
post #84 of 3260 Old 08-20-2008, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
howellk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdon283 View Post

This receiver is no where to be found, and considering theres only 3 pages of thread, I'm not sure how good this receiver is. Hmmm..is this better than the 91?

I think the fact that you don't see a lot of posts about the receiver shows that it doesn't have any problems.

I love my receiver and I think most of those who bought one do too.
howellk is offline  
post #85 of 3260 Old 08-20-2008, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
howellk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderia uno View Post

For those who have this AVR, how good is the THX Loudness Plus on this receiver? (If it has this feature).

I can tell a difference when the THX Loudness is selected. It keeps the dynamics of surround sound even when the volume is low.

I don't have THX speakers though. I'm sure you would get a better idea if you had 7 THX speakers all set up properly considering that's what the feature is made for.
howellk is offline  
post #86 of 3260 Old 08-20-2008, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Cal1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderia uno View Post

For those who have this AVR, how good is the THX Loudness Plus on this receiver? (If it has this feature).

I like it. When one of the THX modes is used, Loudness Plus maintains pretty good "full-throated" sound quality at volume levels below the "blow the doors off" level. I'm getting to really like the THX Cinema mode. It takes some of the brightness off of surround tracks and puts out, to my ears, a richer, more rounded sound. On DD and DTS 5.1 tracks, it's a must for me. On DolbyTrue and DTS-HD Master audio, it varies a bit more since a brighter sound in theses cases may be a preference. I'm actually starting to leave it on more with the HD audio tracks as well.
Cal1981 is online now  
post #87 of 3260 Old 08-20-2008, 05:40 PM
Member
 
smolstre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

I like it. When one of the THX modes is used, Loudness Plus maintains pretty good "full-throated" sound quality at volume levels below the "blow the doors off" level. I'm getting to really like the THX Cinema mode. It takes some of the brightness off of surround tracks and puts out, to my ears, a richer, more rounded sound. On DD and DTS 5.1 tracks, it's a must for me. On DolbyTrue and DTS-HD Master audio, it varies a bit more since a brighter sound in theses cases may be a preference. I'm actually starting to leave it on more with the HD audio tracks as well.


This is the stuff we want to hear about in this thread IMO!! Settings, adjustments, what sounds the best. More people need to join in!! I'm a newbie and want the most from this receiver but not sure how to "get the most out of it". Keep it coming, and please keep posting!!
smolstre is offline  
post #88 of 3260 Old 08-21-2008, 01:15 AM
Member
 
bliss53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by howellk View Post

I can tell a difference when the THX Loudness is selected. It keeps the dynamics of surround sound even when the volume is low.

I don't have THX speakers though. I'm sure you would get a better idea if you had 7 THX speakers all set up properly considering that's what the feature is made for.

What is different in a thx speaker?
bliss53 is offline  
post #89 of 3260 Old 08-21-2008, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
howellk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss53 View Post

What is different in a thx speaker?

I'm not a THX expert so I'm not really qualified to answer but there is a website about THX.

http://www.thx.com/
http://www.thx.com/technologies/index.html
http://www.thx.com/technologies/loudness_plus.html
howellk is offline  
post #90 of 3260 Old 08-21-2008, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Cal1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss53 View Post

What is different in a thx speaker?

I'm not sure that there are actually THX speakers. THX refers to a certification process and a set of sound shaping processes that are supposed to allow a home theater system to mimic a surround movie theater experience as closely as possible. THX Cinema mode, for example, is cited as lessening the audio brightness of movies played at home, since those systems can't handle the top end sound in movie audio tracks that the ginormous movie theater THX systems can. The end result is supposed to give you a better adjusted sound from your DVDs. I can vouch for that but, again, on the new HD audio tracks, it can sometimes shave a bit too much off the high end. Solution: turn THX off and go with the native HD sound if it sounds too sedate to you.
Cal1981 is online now  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off