AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaksavior View Post

YES!! great movie!!

Had downloaded a copy and it was a great movie so decided to buy it in blu-ray. i watched it on some older JBL speakers now residing in my dads ht room and it was amazing.

I got some Klispch Icons speakers and watched it again and it was even better!
so all in all fantastic movie.

Do you have 7.1? Do all the speakers light up on the front display?

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 3261 Old 01-18-2009, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

Do you have 7.1? Do all the speakers light up on the front display?

getting close to 7.1 right now its 3.1 and getting my ws-24 icons soon then will have 5.1, once i get paid on the 31st it will be 7.1 but yes, using my ps3 i everything shows up as 7.1 under pcm.

Pioneer = Sound.Vision.Soul
Klipsch = Power.Detail.Emotion
Harmony = Pioneer Elite + Klipsch
post #873 of 3261 Old 01-18-2009, 12:48 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles View Post

Has anyone used the VSX-01 to PC software available at Pioneer to weak their MCACC settings? It looks like a pretty comprehensive tool for making adjustments. Graphs, stats, etc. It may be useful for adjusting environmental factors, acoustics and identifying speaker delay issues.

I will test this tool and I agree that it can be very useful.

Look these pictures from manual of program:

I'm looking for a RS-232C > USB cable because my notebook don't have the RS-232C conector.
post #874 of 3261 Old 01-18-2009, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Is there a way I can be watching the Eagles game but have the am/fm tuner set to my local radio feed of the game?Obviously if I change the VSX-01TXH to tuner,I lose the picture.
post #875 of 3261 Old 01-18-2009, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaksavior View Post

using my ps3 i everything shows up as 7.1 under pcm.

Hmm, each individual speaker is lit up on the front? Not sure why bitstreaming 7.1 from my BD35 would only show 5.1 speakers, even though sound is coming out of all 8 speakers correctly.

post #876 of 3261 Old 01-18-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:

Hmm, each individual speaker is lit up on the front? Not sure why bitstreaming 7.1 from my BD35 would only show 5.1 speakers, even though sound is coming out of all 8 speakers correctly.

Your using hdmi? or Optical?

if your using HDMI try using a Optical cable just for kicks.

it should work, try changing the setting in the bd35 to pcm instead of bitstream

post #877 of 3261 Old 01-18-2009, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Using HDMI.

Optical won't work, because you can't send lossless audio via optical.

I can try setting the BD35 to PCM to see if all the speakers "light up".

post #878 of 3261 Old 01-18-2009, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

The display shows what is coming in, not what is going out. Several settings will get all eight speakers to work, even with 5.1 (or even stereo) input. Could the BD (disc, not player per se) have defaulted to a 5.1 format, even though a 7.1 track is available?

FWIW, my 01 lights all eight speaker symbols when it is playing a 7.1 disc from my BD30. (Unfortunately, I don't see it very often as I don't have all that many 7.1 BDs. )
post #879 of 3261 Old 01-18-2009, 03:02 PM

My new 03 will be delivered tomorrow. In anticipation, I started to check my universal remote to see if the 03 is listed in the database. I could not locate it. If anyone here is running thier 03 (or 01) with an MX 850 I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.
post #880 of 3261 Old 01-18-2009, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

The display shows what is coming in, not what is going out. Several settings will get all eight speakers to work, even with 5.1 (or even stereo) input. Could the BD (disc, not player per se) have defaulted to a 5.1 format, even though a 7.1 track is available?

FWIW, my 01 lights all eight speaker symbols when it is playing a 7.1 disc from my BD30. (Unfortunately, I don't see it very often as I don't have all that many 7.1 BDs. )

That's what I thought. Just don't understand why is wasn't displaying all of them for HellBoy II, which is DTS 7.1. I specifically selected the DTS 7.1 track last night and again today when playing around with it (and checked via the audio button on the BD35). I know the rear speakers were active, just can't figure out why they weren't lit. Is it possible they're burnt out or something? Can't figure out why else they wouldn't be displayed (unless there's some flagging error with Hellboy II).

post #881 of 3261 Old 01-18-2009, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i have the same setup bd 35 bitstreaming the the 01 and watched bangkok dangerous dts hd 7.1 and all lights did not show up just 5.1 but all speakers were active.hmm
post #882 of 3261 Old 01-19-2009, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there a big difference going from 5.1 to 7.1 ???

Joe V.
post #883 of 3261 Old 01-19-2009, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

Sure. But a good 5.1 beats a mediocre 7.1 any day. For most movie stuff 5.1 is fine, 7.1 will add some more dimension. Probably the best use of 7.1 is when the THX logo comes on and flys around the room. Pretty neat stuff, for a few seconds.

Many room layouts don't allow for good rear surround speaker placements, couch against the wall and the like. I've got 15 feet behind my seating so for me its very effective and provides me with a good sound immersion experience. If you can do a good speaker layout, go for it.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
post #884 of 3261 Old 01-19-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:

Using HDMI.

Optical won't work, because you can't send lossless audio via optical.

I can try setting the BD35 to PCM to see if all the speakers "light up".

seriously? wow i feel like a major noob now....

Quote:

yes and no, if you have the avaible space, and the movie is properly encoded in it, you can tell the difference.

take the matrix scene were neo is avoiding the bullets, that in 7.1 is incredible. but take master and commander: The far side of the sea. that is only 5.1 and doesn't make much difference with a 7.1 setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles View Post

Sure. But a good 5.1 beats a mediocre 7.1 any day. For most movie stuff 5.1 is fine, 7.1 will add some more dimension. Probably the best use of 7.1 is when the THX logo comes on and flys around the room. Pretty neat stuff, for a few seconds.

Many room layouts don't allow for good rear surround speaker placements, couch against the wall and the like. I've got 15 feet behind my seating so for me its very effective and provides me with a good sound immersion experience. If you can do a good speaker layout, go for it.

my room is 8h x 10w x 14l

i am setting up 7.1

post #885 of 3261 Old 01-19-2009, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd say it depends upon your room and your speakers.

I thought it was a definite upgrade for some time. Then I tried some Mirage Omnisat v2 FS omnidirectional speakers as side surrounds, and found that the rears no longer seemed to be adding all that much. The Omnisats fill my room. I still use the rears, but I doubt I'd miss them greatly if I had to remove them for some reason (not that I plan to).

Also, there is not much 7.1 material out there. I think only about three or four out my 75-odd BDs are 7.1; the rest are 5.1 (or less). While my receiver synthesizes the rear channels, it's not a dramatic effect. I like having a 7.1 set-up, but I wouldn't say it was a "big difference" from 5.1 in my room, more like a subtle one. YMMV.
post #886 of 3261 Old 01-19-2009, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting...so if I have 3 feet behind my sitting arrangement, will that be enough space ?

The way I am setup now is 5.1 front lcr speakers and 2 Bipole surround speakers mounted at the rear wall...I do not have side walls. But I do have accoustical ceiling tiles for my ceiling and could add 2 ceiling speakers for side surrounds. Does anyone think this would work ?

Joe V.
post #887 of 3261 Old 01-19-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW...since I sent my 03 back to Will and won't be getting a new replacement until next Monday I figured this would be a good time to update to 7.1 if it's worth it that is.

Joe V.
post #888 of 3261 Old 01-19-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Interesting...so if I have 3 feet behind my sitting arrangement, will that be enough space ?

The way I am setup now is 5.1 front lcr speakers and 2 surround speakers mounted at the rear wall...I do not have side walls. But I do have accoustical ceiling tiles for my ceiling and could add 2 ceiling speakers for side surrounds. Does anyone think this would work ?

thats about how far mine are going to be.

post #889 of 3261 Old 01-19-2009, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

FWIW, my rear row of seating is pretty much right up against the back wall of my theater (about 7' from the front row). According to most, 7.1 shouldn't work very well when sitting in my back row, but should work fine for my front row. Even though my front row is my main seat, I've occasionally sat in the back row and can't really tell any difference. Sounds great from every seat. I have Axiom multi-directional (quad-poles) speakers for the sides and rears.
I've tested 5.1 vs 7.1 via many, many sources and 7.1 always sounds better to me. Doesn't matter if the movie is 7.1 or not (there's not very many), adding PLIIx to them, improves the overall "surround sound" IMO.
I'll never have another theater with less than 7.1

post #890 of 3261 Old 01-19-2009, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW...since I sent my 03 back to Will and won't be getting a new replacement until next Monday I figured this would be a good time to update to 7.1 if it's worth it that is.

If cost isn't a major issue, I'd recommend that you just go ahead. That way you'll never wonder if you'd like your system better if you had the two additional speakers. That alone makes it worth it.

I've been doing this for many years, and one of the things I've learned is that a little overkill is better than lingering doubt.
post #891 of 3261 Old 01-19-2009, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

If cost isn't a major issue, I'd recommend that you just go ahead. That way you'll never wonder if you'd like your system better if you had the two additional speakers. That alone makes it worth it.

I've been doing this for many years, and one of the things I've learned is that a little overkill is better than lingering doubt.

My whole life revolves around overkill...just ask my wife.

Joe V.
post #892 of 3261 Old 01-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAW View Post

Like I stated above, I just (last night) hooked up my 01, and I've run into a question. I don't know if I'm by myself in saying this, but I like to listen to music with company over, but also watch the big game if it's on. Is there a way to use the 01's iPod input and listen to music, but also watch the satellite TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post

Is there a way I can be watching the Eagles game but have the am/fm tuner set to my local radio feed of the game?Obviously if I change the VSX-01TXH to tuner,I lose the picture.

We're on the pay-no-mind-list I guess, Biglen. I can't figure out how to listen to music when watching TV either.

Can anyone help us? - thanks.
post #893 of 3261 Old 01-19-2009, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAW View Post

We're on the pay-no-mind-list I guess, Biglen. I can't figure out how to listen to music when watching TV either.

Can anyone help us? - thanks.

Look into the second zone feature(if your not 7.1).

Maybe set the receiver to do passthrough(if it can) on the cable input and then just switch to the ipod input? If you can set it to do passthrough then the tv could handle all the audio from the cable and AVR for the ipod?

Or maybe run the cable directly to the tv, and use the audio out from the tv to the AVR. Then you could just select when you wanted TV or Ipod audio directly. Should not make a difference in audio quality, I don't think the HD audio has made its way to cable yet, but i might be wrong. Standard audio from cable should be ok output from tv to AVR via optical.

Just some thoughts though, I don't do this kind of setup
post #894 of 3261 Old 01-19-2009, 09:05 PM

Got my 03 today and everything seemed to work great but seemed slow on video when switching sources (dvr to hdmi). The audio switched pretty quickly but several seconds for the video to switch. Is this normal?

Also, I thought the 03 had an alum face plate. Mine seems to be plastic instead of alum. Did Pioneer change the 03?
post #895 of 3261 Old 01-19-2009, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55sss View Post

Got my 03 today and everything seemed to work great but seemed slow on video when switching sources (dvr to hdmi). The audio switched pretty quickly but several seconds for the video to switch. Is this normal?

Also, I thought the 03 had an alum face plate. Mine seems to be plastic instead of alum. Did Pioneer change the 03?

I believe the slow switching is do to the HDMI handshake...BTW Aluminum/Urushi...Urushi is a lacquer...I agree it does look a lot like glossy plastic.

Joe V.
post #896 of 3261 Old 01-20-2009, 05:09 AM

I received my 03 yesterday and have it calibrated....very impressed! The MCACC did a great job balancing my room. A definite upgrade in the clarity and works very well with the Blueray BDP-51. My wife who you use to work on a Sound Team (her hearing is much better than mine) was also impressed with the performance. My B&W's have never sounded so good!

I watched BD, Master and Commander, and the sounds of the wood splintering from all the grape shot flying about was superb! This is a great movie title recorded in DTS-Master HD.

the addiction continues................
post #897 of 3261 Old 01-20-2009, 06:13 AM

After 3 weeks of waiting I will finally received today 01 from Pioneer direcect sales. My order started out with a Pioneer 1018 and then got bump to a Pioneer 01 for an $20.00 extra. pefully it will have enough power to handle my B&W speakers.
post #898 of 3261 Old 01-20-2009, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With 3 feet I think you have quite a few options. With less than 3 feet here's a couple of things I have done that worked reasonably well.

In one situation I had my seating about a 1 1/2 feet off the wall. I put my surounds on small stands about 7-8 ft apart, about a foot high off the floor and angled them slightly back & up. The speakers were hidden (wife pleasing). I probably lost some sound in the soft couch material but the overall effect wasn't bad, rather full in fact. It beat the speakers right behind me that lent a very artificial sound.

In another situation where the seating was about 1/2 foot off the back wall I placed them about 10 feet apart and 4 feet above ear level using 6" or so speaker supports and once again angled them back toward the wall a bit and slightly down. This had more channel separation (actually a bit too much but it was OK).

In both cases I used Audyssey for room acoustic adjusting and it did a very good job of fixing what acoustic problems my positioning may have caused. I've not used MCACC yet but I believe it too will help correct speaker placements.

There are some good suggestions posted above. Quadpole, Omnisats, dipoles- these will all help spread the sound around and mitigate extreme channel separation. Good ideas. I happen to use Mirage Omnis for my fronts and they are superb at opening up the sweet spot.

7.1. Go for it. One more reason to blow some hard earned cash on this wallet consuming hobby we're addicted to.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
post #899 of 3261 Old 01-20-2009, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

mrgribbles, I already have my rears set up on the back wall they are Bipole surround speakers which are really meant for side walls...my side surround speakers will be mounted in the ceiling facing down with adjustable tweeters. As soon as I get my replacement receiver I will post my thoughts...it looks like I won't be getting my replacement until next Monday...which is horrible since I'm having a superbowl party. Now I have to reinstall my Yama 1800 which I already had installed in my family room setup.

Joe V.
post #900 of 3261 Old 01-20-2009, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

mrgribbles, I already have my rears set up on the back wall they are Bipole surround speakers which are really meant for side walls...my side surround speakers will be mounted in the ceiling facing down with adjustable tweeters. As soon as I get my replacement receiver I will post my thoughts...it looks like I won't be getting my replacement until next Monday...which is horrible since I'm having a superbowl party. Now I have to reinstall my Yama 1800 which I already had installed in my family room setup.

What are you talking about? The superbowl isn't until Feb 1. You'll have a whole 6 days to get your replacement configured!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page