Official VSX-01TXH and VSX-03TXH Owners Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #151 of 3259 Old 09-05-2008, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Yung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by howellk View Post

Someone has requested that I include the VSX-03THX as part of the title of this thread since they are very similar AVRs.

I was going to get some feedback from some of you folks to get your opinions.

I don't have a problem with it if you don't.

Whadda ya think?

I'm all for including the VSX-03THX as part of the thread if my vote counts.
Yung is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 3259 Old 09-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Member
 
DJL53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by yung View Post

i'm all for including the vsx-03thx as part of the thread if my vote counts. :d

+1
DJL53 is offline  
post #153 of 3259 Old 09-05-2008, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CHP_VR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newport Zoo
Posts: 3,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGuyPA View Post

CHP VR, thanks for your suggestion. After I set the input for TV to HDMI 1, do I still need the components, or can a unhook them?

Also, any idea is hooking up an SR cable will still allow me to still have the receiver turn on and off and have volume control that the HDMI control allowed?

As long as you don't use HDMI CONTROL, you should not need the component connections.
SR+ should work, I've never used it, sorry... But I seem to remember in one of the 8g Plasma forums someone using it and it worked well.
I prefer using the HDMI control to get the OSD and I've found component out on the satbox is as good as the HDMI.. (actually I use both so I can A/B it from HDMI to TV to reassure myself it's the same). If you do end up using SR+, please let us know how it works for you!

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
CHP_VR is offline  
post #154 of 3259 Old 09-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Member
 
smolstre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by howellk View Post

Someone has requested that I include the VSX-03THX as part of the title of this thread since they are very similar AVRs.

I was going to get some feedback from some of you folks to get your opinions.

I don't have a problem with it if you don't.

Whadda ya think?

YES! YES! YES! We need more input.
smolstre is offline  
post #155 of 3259 Old 09-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Member
 
chrishoyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
*Fallow up* -- I just read through the manual for the VSX-01TXH and it does to video scaling. I was reading some earlier post and some people said it didn't. Not sure where they got that info but all I can say is it does. Look at page 15 and you will see the diagram showing how it all works. Notice how everything (Component, Composite) all can output via HDMI. Maybe the earlier ver. of the 01 didn't and added in just recently.
chrishoyt is offline  
post #156 of 3259 Old 09-07-2008, 04:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
WRX_Rocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung View Post

I'm all for including the VSX-03THX as part of the thread if my vote counts.

I am about to buy one, so yes, I would like to see more reviews and info on it, please.
WRX_Rocky is offline  
post #157 of 3259 Old 09-07-2008, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
WRX_Rocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Oh, and I have two questions:

1) as these are THX Select2 PLUS, has anyone tried the THX Loudness Plus option???
http://www.thx.com/technologies/loudness_plus.html

2) as these have a USB port, anyone know if this is maybe how the firmware can be updated? As my Onkyo 805 has become a FW nightmare, and only some of the high end receivers have an ethernet port, I would like to rest assured I don't have to send the 03 I might get over 3 states away and maybe wait a month to get it back.

Thanks
WRX_Rocky is offline  
post #158 of 3259 Old 09-07-2008, 05:19 AM
Senior Member
 
facke02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrushali View Post

Folks,

I just acquired a Pioneer 1018, the sibling to VSX-01. Perhaps someone can answer my question on this forum.

I was under the impression that the receiver would do an on-screen display when I increase the volume or change the surround sound mode using the remote. However, the only time I get the OSD is when I am in the setup menu.

My receiver is behind a cabinet. It would be nice to see the volume level and other things on the screen.

Is there a setting on VSX-01 to make this happen? Perhaps I can try the same setting on 1018.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
Vrushali

If you have a Pioneer display you can use a SR+ cable. That and HDMI CEC are the only ways I know how this can be done.

Ken
facke02 is offline  
post #159 of 3259 Old 09-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
WRX_Rocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just curious, though am about to buy a Pio receiver soon = is the VSX-03TXH
any more advanced than the VSX-92TXH or the VSX-94TXH? Would I loose out on anything if I were to go with the 94 (or 92 IF I could find one)? One thing I know for certain is about the THX Loudness Plus I posted about below that would be on the VSX-03TXH. And being able to listen at reference AQ at the lower volumes I need to, this is important to me. But the 94 has a lot more to it.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
WRX_Rocky is offline  
post #160 of 3259 Old 09-07-2008, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
WRX_Rocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok, brought the VSX-03TXH home today, and so far I LOVE IT! I love it way more than my Onkyo 805 I am replacing it with. Some really nice features, and that new THX Loudness Plus really works. Sure wish it had a better GUI though, this one hasn't changed since my old 56TXi.

One major problem though! The LG BH200 dual format player I got recently, and also like a lot, is having problems playing ANY HD DVD movie. The receiver thinks the signal is stereo, when the player is bistreaming DD+ or DTS HD (not MA). So then it sends out loud static from all the speakers. Argh! When I had the 805 hooked up, I would occasionally ge this, but rarely, and not from every HD DVD. And when I tested my Tosh A35 which I still have, it played perfectly.
WRX_Rocky is offline  
post #161 of 3259 Old 09-08-2008, 08:54 AM
Senior Member
 
M@verick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
can anyone tell me the main differences between the VSX-01TXH and the VSX03-TXH?

A line by line comparison on Pioneereletronics.com only shows the main difference to be one extra digital optical input and the inclusion of HDMI Jitter control on the 03.

Is it worth the nearly $250 difference? Even the watts per channel is the same.

Interestingly enough, the weight of the 03 is nearly 8 lbs more because its an aluminum front!
M@verick is offline  
post #162 of 3259 Old 09-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Member
 
jp_stargazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishoyt View Post

*Fallow up* -- I just read through the manual for the VSX-01TXH and it does to video scaling. I was reading some earlier post and some people said it didn't. Not sure where they got that info but all I can say is it does. Look at page 15 and you will see the diagram showing how it all works. Notice how everything (Component, Composite) all can output via HDMI. Maybe the earlier ver. of the 01 didn't and added in just recently.

Okay, there seems to be confusion about this and I'll try to clear it up. There are two video features that I will be talking about, Video Conversion and Resolution.

Video Conversion - This takes analog video signals and sends them out the highest quality video connection you have connected if Video Conversion is set to ON. The conversion possibilities are shown by that diagram. It also indicates that HDMI input will be HDMI output (of course) showing passthrough. This is a conversion process, not a scaling process. Whatever resolution you input is the resolution that is output.

Resolution - This is the scaling feature. If set to AUTO (or a resolution selection), the Faroudja DCDi chip will take analog signals at 480i/p and 576i/p ONLY and scale them accordingly. It will NOT scale anything over HDMI. This is indicated in the footnote on p. 75 of the manual and a Pioneer support employee confirmed it to me.

Therefore, any video signal input via HDMI will not be processed in any way. Hope this clears things up.
jp_stargazer is offline  
post #163 of 3259 Old 09-08-2008, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Yung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@verick View Post

can anyone tell me the main differences between the VSX-01TXH and the VSX03-TXH?

A line by line comparison on Pioneereletronics.com only shows the main difference to be one extra digital optical input and the inclusion of HDMI Jitter control on the 03.

Is it worth the nearly $250 difference? Even the watts per channel is the same.

Interestingly enough, the weight of the 03 is nearly 8 lbs more because its an aluminum front!

The actual weight difference between the 01 and the 03 is minimal. The 37 lbs on the Pioneer website and marketing spec sheet may be including the packaging or is entirely incorrect altogether. According to the manuals, the VSX-01THX weights 29 lbs 6 oz. compared to 29 lbs. 13 oz. for the VSX-03THX.
Yung is offline  
post #164 of 3259 Old 09-08-2008, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
howellk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok folks I put in a request to the mods for a title change.

Hopefully soon it will be called:

Official Pioneer VSX-01TXH and VSX-03TXH Owners Thread.
howellk is offline  
post #165 of 3259 Old 09-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Member
 
ChaseMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking at this VSX-01TXH as my new receiver. I'm a bit of a n00b with this stuff though. Can anyone tell me if at the same price which would be better, the 01 or the Yamaha RXV863?http://www.yamaha.ca/av/Receivers/RXV863B.jsp
ChaseMe is offline  
post #166 of 3259 Old 09-08-2008, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Yung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by howellk View Post

Ok folks I put in a request to the mods for a title change.

Hopefully soon it will be called:

Official Pioneer VSX-01TXH and VSX-03TXH Owners Thread.

Thanks. I think you can just do yourself by editing the original post. Hit 'Edit' and then 'Go Advance' which will allow you to edit the thread title.
Yung is offline  
post #167 of 3259 Old 09-08-2008, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
howellk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmm. I changed it with the advance tab and it shows when you click on the title in the first post but when you view outside the thread it still has the old title. Maybe the mods can handle it.
howellk is offline  
post #168 of 3259 Old 09-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Spartan94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Middle of Michigan
Posts: 350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by howellk View Post

Hmm. I changed it with the advance tab and it shows when you click on the title in the first post but when you view outside the thread it still has the old title. Maybe the mods can handle it.

Yup -- that seems to be the standard behavior of this bulletin board software.
Spartan94 is offline  
post #169 of 3259 Old 09-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
WRX_Rocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung View Post

The actual weight difference between the 01 and the 03 is minimal. The 37 lbs on the Pioneer website and marketing spec sheet may be including the packaging or is entirely incorrect altogether. According to the manuals, the VSX-01THX weights 29 lbs 6 oz. compared to 29 lbs. 13 oz. for the VSX-03THX.

Well, from what I could see, the 03 has 1 more digital input, has a slightly better remote, and has "HDMI Jitter Reduction: - whatever that is??? But I just bought the VSX-03TXH the other day, and I totally LOVE IT! Compared to my Onkyo 805, with both setup using the microphones to setup the speakers (Audessy on the Onkyo and measured in 6 different spots, and the MCACC for the Pio, but only in one spot, where I sit and it counts the most LOL), the VSX-03TXH just plain sounds SO much better, and the surround definition is incredible. You honestly can hear the difference!

I was VERY tempted to go with the 94, and even more so with a floor demo 92 at BB (would have been over $100 less too than the 03), but both of those are the older THX Select2, not the newer Select2 PLUS - which has the new THX Loudness Plus feature. And boy does that help with low lever volume in an apartment!!!!!

But there is ONE bad part with the new VSX-03TXH When trying to play any HD DVD movie with a dual format LG BH200 player using bitstream, the 03 gets its signals mixed up (HDMI) and things it is getting a stereo signal. And now I get very loud modulating static from all my speakers, no matter if DD+ or DTS HD (not MA). All BD discs play just fine, and when I hooked my my Toshiba A35, and bitstream, all the HD DVD movies played just fine. Weird. Occasionally this would happen with the Onkyo 805, but not ever disc. In no way though, will I return this Pio though! I am now an Onkyo hater!!!!!
WRX_Rocky is offline  
post #170 of 3259 Old 09-10-2008, 05:05 AM
Senior Member
 
pnkflyd51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hopkinton, MA (originally from Bloomington, IN)
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_Rocky View Post

But there is ONE bad part with the new VSX-03TXH When trying to play any HD DVD movie with a dual format LG BH200 player using bitstream, the 03 gets its signals mixed up (HDMI) and things it is getting a stereo signal. And now I get very loud modulating static from all my speakers, no matter if DD+ or DTS HD (not MA). All BD discs play just fine, and when I hooked my my Toshiba A35, and bitstream, all the HD DVD movies played just fine. Weird. Occasionally this would happen with the Onkyo 805, but not ever disc. In no way though, will I return this Pio though! I am now an Onkyo hater!!!!!

Anyone else see behavior like this from the 03 with any other devices? I have a 94 (and use a PS3 for blu ray- no problems) and am thinking about getting a 01 for my parents for xmas.

Thanks much! AL
pnkflyd51 is offline  
post #171 of 3259 Old 09-10-2008, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
WRX_Rocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkflyd51 View Post

Anyone else see behavior like this from the 03 with any other devices? I have a 94 (and use a PS3 for blu ray- no problems) and am thinking about getting a 01 for my parents for xmas.

Thanks much! AL

Sadly, I just got a message back from Pioneer CS, and they told me that because HD DVD is dead, they won't look into fixing this problem. Ouch. But as my Toshiba A35 works just fine, it may be something on LG's end that needs a firmware fix.

Otherwise I love this receiver! Even going back to the PS3, the sound, as well as the emersion in surround, is fantastic! I had thought the PS3 not that good because I wanted bitstream out, and on the Onkyo 805 it did sound better than way. But the way the 03 handles the PS3 LPCM, specially in the THX Cinema mode, I no longer need that, or miss it.
WRX_Rocky is offline  
post #172 of 3259 Old 09-10-2008, 05:51 AM
Senior Member
 
kinglm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm a new owner of the VSX-03TXH & a receiver newbie and have a question regarding powering On & Off & Standby. I have the receiver hooked up to my Kuro via HDMI.

Initially, using the remote for the receiver and powering the receiver off would shut off the receiver output and leave the blue power light on. Is this correct behavior? Is this considered Off or Standby? Should the blue light be off when the receiver is not being used?

Last night I set up the HDMI control feature. I used the Kuro remote to shut the Kuro off, then the receiver shut off, but I guess it completely shut off as even the receiver's blue light went out - which I had not seen before using it's remote. Is this correct behavior?
kinglm is online now  
post #173 of 3259 Old 09-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
WRX_Rocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglm View Post

Initially, using the remote for the receiver and powering the receiver off would shut off the receiver output and leave the blue power light on. Is this correct behavior? Is this considered Off or Standby? Should the blue light be off when the receiver is not being used?

Last night I set up the HDMI control feature. I used the Kuro remote to shut the Kuro off, then the receiver shut off, but I guess it completely shut off as even the receiver's blue light went out - which I had not seen before using it's remote. Is this correct behavior?

Weird, becaue there is only 1 power button on my remote for the 03, and when I turn it off, the blue button light goes off completely.


On another item, does anyone know if the 03 would do this?
Quote:


The only time that decoding on the on the player vs. decoding on the receiver comes into play involves the receiver's ability to apply processing to the decoded signals. An Onkyo 605 can't matrix PCM over HDMI from 5.1 to 7.1, while the Onkyo 705 can. But, the Onkyo 605 can take a bitstreamed lossless track, decode it, then matrix it to 7.1 In that particular case, the PS3 wouldn't be the best option, a standalone would provide more flexibility.

Does the 03 Matrix 5.1 > 7.1? As I don't have the surround backs yet, it would be nice to know for later when I do.
WRX_Rocky is offline  
post #174 of 3259 Old 09-10-2008, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Yung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would the VSX-03THX or even the VSX-01THX be overkill for my speaker system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung View Post

I currently have a 5.1 speaker setup with Paradigm Atoms v.3 for my mains, CC-170 Center with ADP-170 for the surround and PDR-10 for my sub. These were previously powered by the non-Elite VSX-1014TX before the receiver died on me a couple months back.

Just wanted to give my question a bump.
Yung is offline  
post #175 of 3259 Old 09-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
WRX_Rocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone else with an 01 or 03 tried the LG BH200 dual format HD/BD player? Are you able to play any of your HD DVD movies and get sound, or static?
WRX_Rocky is offline  
post #176 of 3259 Old 09-12-2008, 07:53 AM
Member
 
ChaseMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseMe View Post

I'm looking at this VSX-01TXH as my new receiver. I'm a bit of a n00b with this stuff though. Can anyone tell me if at the same price which would be better, the 01 or the Yamaha RXV863?http://www.yamaha.ca/av/Receivers/RXV863B.jsp

Anyone have an opinion here? I'm leaning Pioneer but want to really know.
ChaseMe is offline  
post #177 of 3259 Old 09-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Senior Member
 
M@verick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_Rocky View Post

Well, from what I could see, the 03 has 1 more digital input, has a slightly better remote, and has "HDMI Jitter Reduction: - whatever that is??? But I just bought the VSX-03TXH the other day, and I totally LOVE IT!

I was VERY tempted to go with the 94, and even more so with a floor demo 92 at BB (would have been over $100 less too than the 03), but both of those are the older THX Select2, not the newer Select2 PLUS - which has the new THX Loudness Plus feature. And boy does that help with low lever volume in an apartment!!!!!

I just spent some time at BB trying to understand the differences between the 92TXH, the 01TXH, and the 03TXH. Apparently the ONLY differences between the 01TXH and the 03TXH is the HDMI jitter control (no idea what difference that makes), the aluminum versus plastic front panel, and the beefier power supply in the 03TXH (thats what adds the weight difference).

Both the 01 and the 03 are the same power ratings and both have the same 3 HDMI inputs. The 03 has one additional Optical Audio Input that the 01 lacks.

The 92TXH at its current clearance pricing (slightly above the 01 price) is actually the better buy of the three. It has a full 130 watts/channel, a beefier power supply, and support for all the codecs. The THX Select2 is the only missing feature that I *might* want.
M@verick is offline  
post #178 of 3259 Old 09-12-2008, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Macfan424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@verick View Post

I just spent some time at BB trying to understand the differences between the 92TXH, the 01TXH, and the 03TXH. Apparently the ONLY differences between the 01TXH and the 03TXH is the HDMI jitter control (no idea what difference that makes), the aluminum versus plastic front panel, and the beefier power supply in the 03TXH (thats what adds the weight difference).

Both the 01 and the 03 are the same power ratings and both have the same 3 HDMI inputs. The 03 has one additional Optical Audio Input that the 01 lacks.

The 92TXH at its current clearance pricing (slightly above the 01 price) is actually the better buy of the three. It has a full 130 watts/channel, a beefier power supply, and support for all the codecs. The THX Select2 is the only missing feature that I *might* want.

All three have THX Select 2.

The only other thing I've noticed is that the added size of a 92THX could be a problem. It's over an inch deeper than the 01/03 chassis, which could be a problem in some equipment racks.

If that's not an issue, the 92THX is a great buy for those who catch a good clearance price. Unfortunately, many stores are not giving much of a discount so far, although there have been a few good deals available.
Macfan424 is offline  
post #179 of 3259 Old 09-12-2008, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Yung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@verick View Post

I just spent some time at BB trying to understand the differences between the 92TXH, the 01TXH, and the 03TXH. Apparently the ONLY differences between the 01TXH and the 03TXH is the HDMI jitter control (no idea what difference that makes), the aluminum versus plastic front panel, and the beefier power supply in the 03TXH (thats what adds the weight difference).

Both the 01 and the 03 are the same power ratings and both have the same 3 HDMI inputs. The 03 has one additional Optical Audio Input that the 01 lacks.

The 92TXH at its current clearance pricing (slightly above the 01 price) is actually the better buy of the three. It has a full 130 watts/channel, a beefier power supply, and support for all the codecs. The THX Select2 is the only missing feature that I *might* want.

The 03 also adds a second remote for Zone 2. I agree that the 92TXH at clearance prices makes a great buy and is the best of the 3. It is a higher end Elite unit with better build and beefier power supply as indicated by its 37.5 lbs vs. 29 lbs 6oz. for the 01TXH and 29 lbs 13 oz. for the 03TXH. The 92TXH also has a phono input which may or may not be important to some and this unit also carries the Air Studios logo. As Macfan424 indicated above, this unit is rather large and its height of 7 3/8 inches might make it prohibitive to fit in or provide enough ventilation in some cabinets/stands.
Yung is offline  
post #180 of 3259 Old 09-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Member
 
bilbo46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bel Air, MD
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The 01 & the 03 have THX Select 2 Plus. The 92 is Select 2. The ipod firmware is also a newer version on the 01 & 03.
bilbo46 is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off