post #2881 of 3259 Old 09-30-2009, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgillie66 View Post

My VSX01 is a great receiver, and since there aren't very many 7.1 BD's out that I cared to own ,and the receiver does a great job 'simulating' 7.1, I hadn't had the opportunity to see what it does witha real 7.1 track. Just got Hellboy II and Transporter 3 for my kids, and I notice that I'm only getting 5 speaker lights on the front of the receiver (well, 6 counting the sub). My Panny BD35 is set to bitstream and all my connections are HDMI, so what am I missing here?
Thanks

This is a known "issue" with several discs. If you search the 05/07 thread, you'll find a more detailed exposition, but as an oversimplified explanation, dts offers the sound engineer several options for implementing the rear channels based upon assumed locations of the rear speakers. Pioneer uses a set of rear speaker locations as a standard, and when your AVR receives a signal designed for one of the others, it reports the signal as 5.1 on the front panel. Despite this, your receiver does remap the incoming signal and output a "true" 7.1 sound field.

While the panel won't give the user the satisfaction of lighting all 7 speakers, it usually isn't hard to hear the difference, as the rear surround sound in Hellboy II and similar discs is a clear step up from the usual matrixed 7.1 experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 3259 Old 10-03-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I have a VSX-03THX and have just recently been getting problems. When I turn on the TV/PS3/Receiver all together the receiver starts doing weird stuff. Last night it started clicking as if the signal was intermittent and then shut off!!! I turned it back on and it started to work normally.

I have a feature on my Panasonic plasma "auto power on" which I turned off and the powering off has stopped but when I turn on the 3 devices the receiver mutes the volume. if I adust the volume mute goes away normally. Has anyone had this problem with their 01 or 03?

Two things have changed 1. New firmware on PS3 2. New Panasonic plasma.

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
post #2883 of 3259 Old 10-11-2009, 06:56 AM

Liked: 10
Does someone know the remote code that can be entered into the VSX-01TXH remote to control the DirecTV unit (HR20)?

I have all my other electronics controlled by my VSX remote except the DirecTV remote. All I use that remote is to change channels and use the channel guide...
post #2884 of 3259 Old 10-16-2009, 08:06 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

I have a VSX-03THX and have just recently been getting problems. When I turn on the TV/PS3/Receiver all together the receiver starts doing weird stuff. Last night it started clicking as if the signal was intermittent and then shut off!!! I turned it back on and it started to work normally.

I have a feature on my Panasonic plasma "auto power on" which I turned off and the powering off has stopped but when I turn on the 3 devices the receiver mutes the volume. if I adust the volume mute goes away normally. Has anyone had this problem with their 01 or 03?

Two things have changed 1. New firmware on PS3 2. New Panasonic plasma.

I also have a Panasonic plasma and BD player, and a Pioneer vsx-01THX. All my HDMIs input into the Pioneer and only 1 output HDMI to the Plasma. I have not experience your problem. But I did not use a macro to turn all of them ON simultaneously.
post #2885 of 3259 Old 10-16-2009, 08:11 AM

I presently have my Tivo HD process all SD and HD signal to 1080i and ouput the HDMI signal to the Pioneer VSX-01 THX. Does anybody know if the video processor in the Pioneer is better or worse than the TivHD in upconvert SD signal to 1080i.

I am reasonably happy with the TivoHD video processing and have not used the Pioneer video processing.
post #2886 of 3259 Old 10-16-2009, 08:54 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanc View Post

I presently have my Tivo HD process all SD and HD signal to 1080i and ouput the HDMI signal to the Pioneer VSX-01 THX. Does anybody know if the video processor in the Pioneer is better or worse than the TivHD in upconvert SD signal to 1080i.

I am reasonably happy with the TivoHD video processing and have not used the Pioneer video processing.

My understanding is the Pioneer will not convert any signals if using HDMI cables. This doesn't answer your question but might help you with your decision.
post #2887 of 3259 Old 10-16-2009, 11:38 AM

I'm running all of my HDMI components through the receiver and when it's on I have no problems getting audio and video. The problem is I can't get it to stay in standby mode so I can watch tv without the receiver being on. Whenever I press the power button the receiver just goes off never to standy.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.
post #2888 of 3259 Old 10-16-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

My understanding is the Pioneer will not convert any signals if using HDMI cables. This doesn't answer your question but might help you with your decision.

You are absolutely right. I tried to send 480i through my HDMI from the Tivo to the Pioneer, press Receiver then Video Parameters, and get the Cannot Select message.

Unless Pioneer automatically upconvert everything from HDMI to 1080p, since I saw NO discernible PQ difference.
post #2889 of 3259 Old 10-16-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther1 View Post

I'm running all of my HDMI components through the receiver and when it's on I have no problems getting audio and video. The problem is I can't get it to stay in standby mode so I can watch tv without the receiver being on. Whenever I press the power button the receiver just goes off never to standy.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

This has been discussed in the past. Our receiver does not pass a signal when the power is off. You should look in to running a separate direct cable to the TV for this situation.
post #2890 of 3259 Old 10-19-2009, 11:11 PM

Hey all. I've been following these threads and doing other research into getting a new set up.

Going from a RCA G27692AT 27" TV , RCA VR617HF VCR and a home theater system in a box JVC TH-C3.

I went with PDP5020FD , BDP-57FD , the VSX01 and Cerwin Vega's 5.1 speakers with stands. I also have my pc hooked up to this set up. Surffin and gaming on the net with 50" screen.

Its all set up and running , looks and sounds great.

I have a set of old school Pioneer speakers from an (80's) rack system (I no longer have thanks to an ex-girlfriend but thats a story for a different thread,blog,twitter or what ever ) Any how I was thinking of using them (the speakers not my Ex-girlfriends well maybe) to make the set up 7.1
But the woofers need Refoaming. Pioneer Speaker System CS-D9000

My question is (about time ) after the repair if I should and if so where would be the best location of the 7.1 set up should these puppies go?

[IMG]Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting[/IMG]
post #2891 of 3259 Old 10-20-2009, 01:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ1SM View Post

Hey all. I've been following these threads and doing other research into getting a new set up.

Going from a RCA G27692AT 27" TV , RCA VR617HF VCR and a home theater system in a box JVC TH-C3.

I went with PDP5020FD , BDP-57FD , the VSX01 and Cerwin Vega's 5.1 speakers with stands. I also have my cpu hooked up to this set up. Surffin and gaming on the net with 50" screen.

Its all set up and running , looks and sounds great.

I have a set of old school Pioneer speakers from an (80's) rack system (I no longer have thanks to an ex-girlfriend but thats a story for a different thread,blog,twitter or what ever ) Any how I was thinking of using them (the speakers not my Ex-girlfriends well maybe) to make the set up 7.1
But the woofers need Refoaming. Pioneer Speaker System CS-D9000

My question is (about time ) after the repair if I should and if so where would be the best location of the 7.1 set up should these puppies go?

[IMG]Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting[/IMG]

Once the Pioneer's are refurbished I'd suggest using them as the 2 front left and right channels. Speakers from the 80's, especially big rack speakers were usually full range and would be nice for the times that you switch the receiver over to stereo for critical music listening. The only issue you run into is that your front soundstage won't be timbre-matched as I'd assume you'd be using the CV center channel in between the 2 Pioneers. May not be that big a deal though since it's mainly used for dialog, but you'll have to probably try it both ways and see how you like it. I just can't imagine 2 big Pioneer cabinets going to the side or behind your listening position.
Anyway, maybe someone else will chime in and share their thoughts as well.
post #2892 of 3259 Old 10-20-2009, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I concur.

Or, sell them on craiglist and use the money to buy more Vega's.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #2893 of 3259 Old 10-20-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

I concur.

Or, sell them on craiglist and use the money to buy more Vega's.

Now that sounds like a winner.

Well the idea..........

oh ... ok you can be one to......

Thanks
post #2894 of 3259 Old 10-24-2009, 01:11 AM
Advanced Member

I have the vxs-01.I ran MCACC tonight and for some reason when I bitstream from the ps3 slim the light showing your using advanced MCACC wasn't lit up. If I paused the movie it showed up. I switched the PS3 to PCM and the red advanced MCACC showed back up.?? Can the 01 not apply the MCACC to bitstreamed audio!!???
post #2895 of 3259 Old 10-24-2009, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Indy View Post

I have the vxs-01.I ran MCACC tonight and for some reason when I bitstream from the ps3 slim the light showing your using advanced MCACC wasn't lit up. If I paused the movie it showed up. I switched the PS3 to PCM and the red advanced MCACC showed back up.?? Can the 01 not apply the MCACC to bitstreamed audio!!???

What movie was it? Did you try other movies?
post #2896 of 3259 Old 10-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

What movie was it? Did you try other movies?

It was Transformers 2 blu-ray (IMAX version). I didn't try any other movies since it was really late but I will tonight and see. When I switched from bitstreaming to PCM though the MCACC light was lit the whole time. Also, I'm watching football all day so far today with my AT&T Uverse box and the MCACC light is lit up the whole time with it. So the only variable is when having bitstreaming sent.
post #2897 of 3259 Old 10-28-2009, 09:36 AM

Anyone who used will2 from videogon to get their receiver. Did you provide your CC over the phone? I'm a bit worried about that, because it's basically someone calling you and doing business over the phone. I've seen many people here recommend and seem to trust this guy, but i'm wondering how the sale was done. TIA
post #2898 of 3259 Old 10-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTinMIA View Post

Anyone who used will2 from videogon to get their receiver. Did you provide your CC over the phone? I'm a bit worried about that, because it's basically someone calling you and doing business over the phone. I've seen many people here recommend and seem to trust this guy, but i'm wondering how the sale was done. TIA

I did this with 0 issues. Transaction was smooth as silk. Have you spoken with them(its a business with excellent service).
post #2899 of 3259 Old 10-28-2009, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

As opposed to what? Mailing him your CC number? Faxing it to him?

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #2900 of 3259 Old 10-28-2009, 11:42 AM

we are not supposed to talk price but there is a sale on these, pm if interested
post #2901 of 3259 Old 10-29-2009, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Can the VSX-03 take the audio coming into the RCA (Wii) & Optical (360) and output it over the HDMI output to the TV? I know we get one cable for video to the TV but i want to know if all the audio can also go over that one cable.

I want one cable for audio and video to my TV. I don't have speakers yet to connect to the receiver. Thanks.

Can someone test this for me?

Also, is 1/3rd the MSRP a good price for a used VSX-03?
post #2902 of 3259 Old 10-30-2009, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Not much activity in this thread. Hopefully everyone is enjoying their VSX-03. That or you all upgraded to the 21 or 23 .

If anyone can help me out, can someone change their HDMI setting to "through" instead of amp and see if the TV speakers play the video and sound from a none HDMI source like optical or a Wii's RCA input.

Thanks.
post #2903 of 3259 Old 11-03-2009, 09:57 PM

There's a Wii HD thats supposed to come out sooner or later...wait till that comes...your Wii can only do 480P anyway...live with the RCA connection and have fun!
post #2904 of 3259 Old 11-18-2009, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Can anyone comment on the ZOOM mode for SD 480i sources? What is the quality and are there any adjustments you can make to it (or is it a fixed zoom?) Like to use it with letterboxed 480i sources (laserdisc) so they just aren't windowboxed in the middle of the screen. TIA.

Derek
post #2905 of 3259 Old 11-19-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:

Do you think we would recommend if we were getting ripped off?? Call them. tell them what you want. They will tell you much totall. You give them card # or send them a money order(cc is fastest) and they put it on your porch in a couple days. Relax a little.

Pioneer, Rotel, Samsung, Dual, and all things Klipsch
post #2906 of 3259 Old 11-20-2009, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

*bump* for aspect ratio question....

Derek
post #2907 of 3259 Old 11-20-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:

So I been using my 03txh for a few months and have been very pleased. Just this last weekend the dang thing stopped sending a signal to my sub. (i hooked the sub up to my old receiver and it worked just fine)

I checked under the macc setup and the sub is turned on. I've also found a couple other posts about this and tried applying the solutions given and haven't had success.

looking for advice here, is it probably in need of repairing or is there a setting or something that should be changed?

an update (for those who would care)

my 03txh ended up needing to be repaired. One of the boards went bad.

I have read in a number of spots about people being paranoid Pioneer wont honor the warranty if purchased online. Even tho I ordered from the Wisconsin place, pioneer fixed it under warranty no problem.
post #2908 of 3259 Old 11-20-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post

Can anyone comment on the ZOOM mode for SD 480i sources? What is the quality and are there any adjustments you can make to it (or is it a fixed zoom?) Like to use it with letterboxed 480i sources (laserdisc) so they just aren't windowboxed in the middle of the screen. TIA.

I just popped in my Star Wars laserdisc and it looked pretty good for what it is. The image is a little soft especially after being used to DVD and Blu-ray. You can adjust the brightness, contrast, hue, and chroma. There's also settings for scaling the video to HD. As far as the aspect goes, there's:

Through: stretches the image from side to side.
Normal: image is in the center of the screen (window box).
Zoom: zoomed from the center of the screen (cuts of the sides a little).

Zoom works well for letterboxed laserdiscs. Like I said, it cuts off the sides a little but its not really noticeable and a little should be expected.
post #2909 of 3259 Old 12-04-2009, 06:10 PM

Ok went out and bought Super Mario bros for the Wii the other day..So I finally dusted the Wii off and went to hook it up to my receiver,( a Pioneer and elite Vsx-01th), and it won't output audio or video.. I bought the Hd cable for the Wii, and I bought the HD componet cables from Monoprice a while back, and when I hook it all up nothing..
When I switch to different outputs, I get sound from the tv, on the cd output of my receiver.. The sound only comes through the TV, not my speakers, and on the CD output..

Would any of you guys/girls, no what the problem might be.. I been fiddling with the thing(No, not my thing, the reciever) for about an hour..

Thanks in advance for any insight..

PSN Forensics80
post #2910 of 3259 Old 12-04-2009, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you assigned the correct connectors to the input you're using?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page