Official Harman/Kardon AVR x54: Problems and Solutions Thread - Page 96 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2851 of 2865 Old 02-12-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaupp240 View Post

Thanks, I'll check on that.

It seems to be working fine in spite of the program crashing.

How about a regular RS232 cable on a COM port instead of USB?

Should be fine...

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2852 of 2865 Old 02-13-2014, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cool. Now to see if I can find my old serial cable and give it try. If it still doesn't work I'll drag my monster sized desktop out there and try it instead of my laptop.
Thanks,
Cheryl
post #2853 of 2865 Old 03-21-2014, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just had a good read through here,
I have a avr 255 it's been working fine until you switch the source over I then lose any picture but still have audio?
I have to leave the receiver off for upto 20mins presume this is to let it cool down, anyone else had the same issues and have the factory repairs resolved it?

Thanks in advance
post #2854 of 2865 Old 04-10-2014, 09:05 AM

intermittent hdmi fault needs repair
a place up in leeds england fixes these avr's and other harmans
i sent my avr 355 with a protection problem and they repaired it updated it and realigned it for under 150 pounds including all spares and courier return delivery this was in august 2012 so not sure if price for repair is still valid it has not gone faulty since i love the sound so trying to keep it going
i heard they do not repair avr 7200 or 8300 too heavy and time consuming and pcbs are normally required for a reliable repair
multicare leeds google it phone or email for more details
post #2855 of 2865 Old 05-06-2014, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I cant seem to find the firmware update files needed for this. My AVR-254 is acting wonky when it comes to HDMI.

Can anyone provide a more up to date link?

Thanks
post #2856 of 2865 Old 05-06-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrolds View Post

I cant seem to find the firmware update files needed for this. My AVR-254 is acting wonky when it comes to HDMI.

Can anyone provide a more up to date link?

Thanks

Try here...

http://www.harmankardon.com/estore/hk/us/support/supportDU.jsp

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
jerrolds likes this.
post #2857 of 2865 Old 05-06-2014, 11:50 AM

Thanks much - looks like its working. Damn i need a USB -> Serial adapter?
post #2858 of 2865 Old 05-06-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks much - looks like its working. Damn i need a USB -> Serial adapter?

Not all USB > Serial adapters work..
HK tech support has a list of the approved ones..

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
post #2859 of 2865 Old 05-09-2014, 01:04 PM

Is there a way to get 2-channel stereo to play out all 5 speakers? Say i feed it stereo music, would be nice to get all the speakers going even if its not recorded that way

Right now when i select "Surround Mode" i only have the option of "AVR Selects best" or "2 Channel" - when i select the 2 channel, all the other options are greyed out and disabled.
post #2860 of 2865 Old 05-09-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is there a way to get 2-channel stereo to play out all 5 speakers? Say i feed it stereo music, would be nice to get all the speakers going even if its not recorded that way

Right now when i select "Surround Mode" i only have the option of "AVR Selects best" or "2 Channel" - when i select the 2 channel, all the other options are greyed out and disabled.

Select 5 Channel Stereo mode..

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
post #2861 of 2865 Old 05-09-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Select 5 Channel Stereo mode..

Just my $0.05... 👍😉

I cant though - everythings greyed out other than 2 channel. Maybe HDMI is acting weird? Do i turn off the AVR?
post #2862 of 2865 Old 05-09-2014, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you hit the ok center circle button while over the 2 channel, does it give you the option for 5 channel?

70" Sharp

Harman Kardon 3700

Klipsch Rb-51 II's

Klipsch Rc-52 II

Klipsch SS-1's

PSW12

Love me some Dave Matthews Band, Dave and Tim, David Gray, or Ray Lamontagne
post #2863 of 2865 Old 05-12-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb12679 View Post

If you hit the ok center circle button while over the 2 channel, does it give you the option for 5 channel?

Nope, when i hit ok a new sub menu shows up and there is a 2-ch and 5-ch option the problem is the 5ch is unselectable (looks greyed out) and whatever i do i cant select it. I ultimately i just have to back out. Is it because the AVR needs to be updated?

Luckily i got the 254 for free otherwise i wouldve returned it pretty quickly. It does not pass through video HDMI signals does it? I know it does some weird processing even if i have everything OFF. I used to be able to set the pixel format to my Panasonic ST50 to RGB 4:4:4 Full, but going thru the 254 i get some major black crush going on.

Had to switch to YrCrBr 4:2:2 but i havent had a chance to recalibrate it to make sure its correct.
post #2864 of 2865 Old 05-12-2014, 09:29 PM

Also - im having trouble bitstreaming from MPC to the receiver, it always says "Multi\-Ch PCM" and cannot make it recognize DTS or DTS-HD. These are playing MKVs with the supported formats so im not sure what im doing wrong. Here are my settings under MPC and my Sound settings http://i.imgur.com/GrBqaSo.png

I'm connecting my PC to the AVR using my Radeon 290X's HDMI connection. Thanks.

EDIT: Fixed it - i installed a slightly newer version 1.7.5, but did not re-add the LAV filters. Maybe it was conflicting before.

post #2865 of 2865 Old 05-12-2014, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

In reviewing Intel's website (www.digital-cp.com) we failed to find any HDCP certification for the Radeon 290...
Without this crucial certification, one may likely encounter certain HDCP handshake interoperability issues, with other HDMI components..
Unfortunately many brands attempt to do their own HDCP testing in-house to save $ rather than submitting their products to the HDMI Labs for certification...

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
post #2866 of 2865 Old 07-29-2014, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I haven't visited this site in awhile. My 350 has gone into protect mode after owning it for five years. I have a Denon on the way to replace it. So, I thought just for the heck of it, I would check with you folks here for some things to check to maybe get it to work again.

A little background:

I had the behringer a500 amp hooked into the main speaker pre outs, then to my 4 ohm speakers. A few months back, the speakers started to pop loudly when I would turn on my system with my harmony remote. I had the amp turned on 24/7, all the time. This was so bad that I eventually left the amp turned off all the time, so I was watching tv using only my center, surrounds and sub. If I wanted to listen to music or watch a DVD, I would turn on my system, then turn on the amp (no popping then).

A couple of weeks ago, I changed entertainment centers, unhooking everything and then setting it back up again. A couple of days later, my wife calls and said everything shut down. When I got home, I did a few simple trouble shooting checks, but to no avail.

Things I checked include (this is without the amp. I took it completely out of the system when I reinstalled everything into the new entertainment center before it started going into protect mode): checking the speaker wires (I have since put banana plugs on them), doing a default to factory reset, using the ok button as advised from the manual.

I also tried hooking right speaker to left output, center speaker to left and surrounds. I always get the loud popping, but turned it off before going into protect mode.

May have been one or two other things I tried. Whatever I tried it would start popping and go into protect mode if I did not shut it off first.

Long post, I know, but might try looking at it before trashing it, if given some suggestions. Also the same for the amp. What might cause it to make the speakers pop like that?

Any help, suggestions appreciated.

Thx, Frank
post #2867 of 2865 Old 09-03-2014, 07:54 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kitchen View Post
Just had a good read through here,
I have a avr 255 it's been working fine until you switch the source over I then lose any picture but still have audio?
I have to leave the receiver off for upto 20mins presume this is to let it cool down, anyone else had the same issues and have the factory repairs resolved it?

Thanks in advance
Same here,
I've checked my AVR255 and it already have the upgraded fuses and the extra wire. The problem i have is almost the same but i lose both video and audio and sometimes only the audio.

To be sure i replaced both the fuses with new 3.15A fuses, but the problem remains. Did you fix your problem? Or could it be that even de 3.15A fuses are to low even when they are replaced??
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 354 7x75w 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Harman Kardon Avr 254 7x50w 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 3a Repeater
Gear in this thread - 7x50w by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page