Official Harman/Kardon AVR x54: Problems and Solutions Thread - Page 97 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #2881 of 2902 Old 04-26-2015, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
software upgrade

i was wondering if anyone knows where to download the software upgrade for an avr 354 any help would be great thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 2902 Old 05-29-2015, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Does anyone know where to find the newest update for the AVR-254? I know longer see it on the HK site.
Thank is advance.
post #2883 of 2902 Old 05-29-2015, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If you find an update let me know. I'm looking for the AVR-254 too.
Thanks
post #2884 of 2902 Old 06-01-2015, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynot44444 View Post
If you find an update let me know. I'm looking for the AVR-254 too.
Thanks
I was looking through my computer and have found the 254 update files that I used. Send me a PM and we can figure out how best to get you the files.
post #2885 of 2902 Old 06-02-2015, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyE View Post
I was looking through my computer and have found the 254 update files that I used. Send me a PM and we can figure out how best to get you the files.

Why does HK's website not have updates on them? I went back after seeing the above post to look for the OP, I can't even find the newest one for their newest AVR 3700 that I updated a month or two ago.

Harman Kardon 3700 / Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-64 II
Klipsch RB-51 II FH
Klipsch SS-1's
Klipsch R-112SW
post #2886 of 2902 Old 06-02-2015, 09:13 AM

HK x54 Update files

Quote:

I have put the files in my google drive here

Let me know if it works.
post #2887 of 2902 Old 06-16-2015, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 6
video problem for light pink/purple color

Hello all, I have a very annoying problem from day one of owning avr354. I bought it two from ebay hk store two years ago. I simply can't stand the hdmi video output from avr354. The PROBLEM IS that it sometimes displays big chunks of pink/purple color in the screen, especially for some color similar to human face, and those color has sharp zigzag edges, like there is a hole in the color bar that cause displaying the wrong color. I will try to reproduce the issue tonight and upload. I'm wondering if you have the same experiences.

I have tried to upgrade the firmware, struggled through the portion before video module, and failed every time there. ( the problem exists before the upgrading) So now I'm happy it's still working for the audio and it sounds great, I hope someone can point a fix to this problem, or I have to switch it to something else or use it for audio only.

Thanks all
post #2888 of 2902 Old 06-22-2015, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thumbs down

I am having nothing but difficulties with this thing. Apparently, I am the ONLY person in the world who wants to pipe my signal from the BlueRay or AppleTV to more than one TV at a time.HK seems to have spent a lot of time to insure I cannot do that.

First, I found out that when you use an HDMI source, all the composite outputs are disabled. Why, I cannot fathom. Composite is a crappy format, not suitable for recording, but they have disabled them. I wanted to take a composite out and run it through an RF converter to feed coax cables throughout my house. No joy. So, I continued to use my Denon AVR until last week. My 354 has been in the box since 2008.

Now I have a 65" UHD TV so I wanted to switch to HDMI inputs and outputs. There are also more HDMI devices like splitters and converters available so going from HDMI to composite is (theoretically) possible.

So imagine my surprise when I found that the 354 does not send audio over the HDMI monitor out! The speakers on my TV get no audio signal. And it appears that all the RCA audio outs are also disabled, including Zone 2! I have to take audio from the headphone jack and feed it into he RF Converter.

Does anyone know why audio is not going out the HDMI? I have not found any settings that would fix this. Is there a firmware update that can help?
post #2889 of 2902 Old 06-25-2015, 09:21 PM

Angry Really? Nobody?

Nobody has any information on this question? Is this HK354 really that limited? That was certainly a wasted $650.

Well, I'll be moving soon and leaving behind my surround sound system anyway. At that time I will toss this thing into the dump where it belongs, and get a sound bar and an HDMI switcher.

Thanks anyway.
post #2890 of 2902 Old 07-03-2015, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Does anybody have an update on their web site? When you call, you just get someone giving you double speak. I was told about 6 weeks ago that their web site would be fixed and update files available. But still nothing, nowhere to download anything.

I don't think they'll be getting my business in the future!Q
post #2891 of 2902 Old 07-20-2015, 08:28 AM

Liked: 13
Sorry, but I need to be frank here, you're fundamentally not understanding the use case of a device like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Allison (Neeeol) View Post
Apparently, I am the ONLY person in the world who wants to pipe my signal from the BlueRay or AppleTV to more than one TV at a time
Fundamentally this is a thing not supported in the modern age, so yes, basically what you're trying to do is antiquated. HDMI needs to handshake and so on. Even if you are able to mirror it to multiple devices it's quality will be poor at best.

Quote:
First, I found out that when you use an HDMI source, all the composite outputs are disabled.
HDMI sources require HDCP generally. That means you need to go HDMI to HDMI. That's kind of the whole point. If you don't want this, you need to use component or composite out on the source.

Quote:
I wanted to take a composite out and run it through an RF converter to feed coax cables throughout my house.
This is an incredibly antique statement. I'm guessing you have a setup from 15-20 years ago here you're trying to continue using. It's time to upgrade. You should not be using Coax for sending video, let alone an RF converter.

This is the HD age. If you want HD sources you need HD hardware. You're welcome to continue using old hardware to do old things but you can't expect modern hardware to play nice with it.

Quote:
So imagine my surprise when I found that the 354 does not send audio over the HDMI monitor out!
You're using it backwards. Audio is supposed to end up at the receiver, not the other way around. If you want sound to your TV (why would you want this anyways, use your receiver for audio like it's made for!) - then you need to hook your components up to your TV via HDMI, and use your TV's audio out to drive the receiver. This is of course still fundamentally backwards. The point of a a/v receiver is to use it for audio. Your TV speakers should disabled.

Quote:
At that time I will toss this thing into the dump where it belongs, and get a sound bar and an HDMI switcher.
You're insulting the product like it's supposed to bother us. We're not H&K, we're fellow users like you. If you think a soundbar and HDMI switcher are a solution to your problem, or that outputting video to multiple devices simultaneously is a thing you should be able to do period, let alone with a receiver - I don't think an a/v receiver is the product for you. Any of them.

This is for home theatres.

Harman Kardon AVR 254 ● Energy Connoisseur C-7 ● Epson PowerLite 8350 ● 100" DIY WA DW w/ 80/20 frame

Last edited by Protonus; 07-20-2015 at 08:37 AM.
post #2892 of 2902 Old 07-20-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmack500 View Post
Does anybody have an update on their web site? When you call, you just get someone giving you double speak. I was told about 6 weeks ago that their web site would be fixed and update files available. But still nothing, nowhere to download anything.

I don't think they'll be getting my business in the future!Q
Use one of the multiple mirrors for the files in this thread, there is one just a few posts up from yours. This AVR is from 7 years ago. H&K isn't going to care much about continuing to support it this far out of warranty, especially when it was the very last of their receivers to use actual serial ports to update. Everything since has at least been USB.

Harman Kardon AVR 254 ● Energy Connoisseur C-7 ● Epson PowerLite 8350 ● 100" DIY WA DW w/ 80/20 frame
post #2893 of 2902 Old 07-20-2015, 01:00 PM

I've already ordered the fuses and have them on hand. However, I had thought that people with those fuses blown still had audio?

If that's it then I've got what I need. Can somebody confirm this?

AVR-354, no audio, no video, unresponsive front panel buttons (volume control responds), can update the firmware except for the last step which fails.
post #2894 of 2902 Old 07-20-2015, 01:01 PM

Actually, I couldn't find update files for any of their products, not just mine.
post #2895 of 2902 Old 07-20-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmack500 View Post
I've already ordered the fuses and have them on hand. However, I had thought that people with those fuses blown still had audio?

If that's it then I've got what I need. Can somebody confirm this?
If those fuses blow, the amp still works. If you hook an audio source up over say optical, you should still get sound out of the amp.

If you're expecting audio to come from the an HDMI source, that's not going to work.

Test it with the radio tuner. You should still get audio.

That said, blown fuses = all bets are off. It can make it act wonky for sure. I'd verify they're blown with a multimeter, than change them, and re-asses.

post #2896 of 2902 Old 07-20-2015, 10:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 210
The AVR-254 was a solid receiver in its day...
In fact for about an 8 month period it was the top selling AVR in North America, but that was way back in 2007...
Technologies, later audio/video formats have been released and the home theater market has simply moved on. Any usable service life for the AVR254 beyond 5 years was bonus....

Just my $0.02...
post #2897 of 2902 Old 07-23-2015, 02:58 PM

I took one of the old fuses out and it's good. So I'm back to thinking it's the HDMI board. Does anybody know where I can get a service manual?

I almost think it's a leaky cap, because if I leave it unplugged for long enough I can get the on screen menu to come up briefly before it freezes up.

Since I can't select the input, I can't test if the radio works or not.

Last edited by bmack500; 07-24-2015 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Add radio input comment
post #2898 of 2902 Old 07-25-2015, 11:44 AM

Well now over a years I got a Video problem

If i connect any device to hdmi in the receiver slowdown or froze lost sound
If i use the hdmi out I don't got any image , receive froze or slowdown
All audio input work fine , output too ,
Compiste , svideo and composante don't give me an image

If I leave the receive down for a night All work fine for maybe 10-20 minutes and start to glitch
First the image leave and come back , and slowly lost him more longer before no more video and sound stop to work (only over hdmi)

I added , when this problem start 4 12 volt fan for computer for reducing the temp inside the receiver and anyways the problem persist

I inspected my receiver transformer board I have the second version of this fuse
post #2899 of 2902 Old 07-25-2015, 11:42 PM

Well thanks to harman kardon for this problem

I discovery the hdmi pcb problem and It's easy to fix at a really low cost
It's not a problem just it's planned to doing that

The video processor on the hdmi torino pcb overheat with time
Simply adding an extra fan on the heatsink connected directly in a socket (I really not recommend to use the internal transformer , use an another than the avr transformer), for they shutdown at the same time of you avr just use the output power on the back panel of your avr

Actually i tested over 3 hours and work fine composite and hdmi output work really fine
post #2900 of 2902 Old Today, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Hi, I am also looking avr254 files. Can you please let me know the location from where I can download. Thanks
post #2901 of 2902 Old Today, 02:03 PM

x54 update files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manskhan View Post
Hi, I am also looking avr254 files. Can you please let me know the location from where I can download. Thanks
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...mUyQzN0Q1VCZGM

Let me know if it works.
post #2902 of 2902 Unread Today, 09:30 PM

Quote:

Let me know if it works.
It says "NOT FOUND".
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 354 7x75w 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Harman Kardon Avr 254 7x50w 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 3a Repeater
Gear in this thread - 7x50w by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page