Official Harman/Kardon AVR x54: Problems and Solutions Thread - Page 98 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

Old 08-25-2015, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protonus View Post
The board containing the bad firmware would be yeah. The rest of the amp would be fine. I would swap the board out. I'm just not positive which one it would be.

I'm assuming you've already tried a factory reset, right?

that holding down the "ok" button with it off? if so...yes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2015, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HK AVR 255 3d problem.
Is there a possibility of new firmware for 3D ?
Old 10-29-2015, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
AVR355 with intermittent hdmi dropout failure (heating?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 170watt View Post
Update (28-Sep).

What seems to "solve" the issue is actively cooling the receiver. Now figuring that this is a thermal issue, doesn't bring me closer to a definitive solution (active air cooling doesn't seem like a real solution to me).

At this point I really need to hear your/someone’s opinion.

1) Let's assume the culprit is that 1.8 V regulator voltage, on the regulatory board (which incidentally shows the highest temperature on that board, and is also directly under one of the cooling fans). I know that those KIA278R00PI regulators have a thermal protection. My specific question is: if they shut down due to overheating, are they coming on again, once the temperature falls under a certain limit? Because - if they do - it might explain why I got sometime 0.6 V, and other times 1.8 V readings, even when the HDMI was already off. Also, could it overheat internally, due to a malfunction, or because they are overloaded (high current somewhere further away)?

2) If the problem is on the HDMI board itself (most likely, I guess), could it be a BGA chip unsoldered pins issue? Personally I don’t think that, as (from my limited experience) the malfunction is usually permanent, not after heating up. Could also be a bad/cold soldering, somewhere on the board? - which would make this (I think) impossible to detect.

So what’s your take on that?
Hi 170watt!
It's been a year ago since you ran into the above problem, and I'm really curious if you found any solution? I have a AVR 355 (sold in Europe, Sweden) with the exact same failure symptoms. And the voltage on pins 4 and 5 on the hdmi-board (Torino) is showing .5 to .8 V, when it should be 1.8V. I also had the heating problem where I could shut down the reviewer and start it again and then get video and audio back again.
But, now, it's come to the point where even that doesn't work. Now, no matter for how long I let the unit cool down, I still get nothing out from the hdmi monitor connector. Strange thing is that I don't get anything out from Composit video or Component video either. And those outputs are not on the hdmi board (Torino) but of course the video/audio signals to Composite and Component could be derived from the hdmi circuits as an explanation for that.

What where your conclusions? Did you ever find a solution to your unit?

Best regards,

/BJ
Old 11-24-2015, 04:04 AM

Hi there techfolk! I've got an old AVR 255 which has worked fine up till a week ago. I was watching a movie from my HTPC when the screen suddenly went black. The HDMI switch seems to be not functioning, but that's not the biggest issue.

Since then I haven't been able to access any settings or information, neither with the remote control or the AVR buttons. The only things that work is volume up/down and the preset sources on the remote (DVD, Game etc.). I want to change the preset source for DVD from HDMI 1 to optical, but I can't. I have no problem living without the HDMI switch, but I gotta be able to change the settings (?!). According to my local Harman Kardon tech support, there might be a problem with the power supply, a missing voltage. As I understand it, the reciever should function properly even if the HDMI card is busted.

The internal fans works fine and the problem is still there when the unit cools down, so I don't think it's an overheating issue.

Thanks for your time!
Old 12-07-2015, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz17 View Post
Hi 170watt!
It's been a year ago since you ran into the above problem, and I'm really curious if you found any solution? I have a AVR 355 (sold in Europe, Sweden) with the exact same failure symptoms. And the voltage on pins 4 and 5 on the hdmi-board (Torino) is showing .5 to .8 V, when it should be 1.8V. I also had the heating problem where I could shut down the reviewer and start it again and then get video and audio back again.
But, now, it's come to the point where even that doesn't work. Now, no matter for how long I let the unit cool down, I still get nothing out from the hdmi monitor connector. Strange thing is that I don't get anything out from Composit video or Component video either. And those outputs are not on the hdmi board (Torino) but of course the video/audio signals to Composite and Component could be derived from the hdmi circuits as an explanation for that.

What where your conclusions? Did you ever find a solution to your unit?

Best regards,

/BJ

Sorry for the late answer, I don’t check often this account. Unfortunately I wasn’t able tofind any solution for this. I remember I replaced the 1.8 V voltage regulator, but to no avail. I sold the unit, in the end, to someone who only needed stereo audio.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:43 AM

The firmware version and date information as well as the download link below is now incorrect in the original thread posting. If jayhawk11 could edit it to update it;

Current version is
AVR 354 - Software Version V0.98.3.1 - Released Jan 2010

Available here:
https://www.harmankardon.com/on/dema...x54Upgrade.zip

which is linked here:
https://www.harmankardon.com/software.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk11 View Post
Hey guys,

Since the Owner's Thread is getting swamped with problems regarding the AVR 254 and 354 , I decided to open a new thread dedicated specifically to the problems and the possible solutions. If anyone can find other issues, PM or post in here and I'll try keep the first post updated. This is my first time doing a thread like this, but I'll do my best to stay on top of things in here.

Have a more general question? Post it in here:

Official Harman/Kardon AVR 254 and 354 Owner's Thread

Before reporting a Playstation 3 issue in this thread, make sure your Playstation 3 is up to date. Sony regularly updates the console's firmware. You can find the most current version here:

Playstation 3 System Update

OR go to your PS3's XMB and selecting "Settings", then "System Update".

CURRENT AVR FIRMWARE: Version 95.1.1

KNOWN ISSUES

1) PCM Lock Issue: The AVR 254 and 354's lock on a PCM stream times out extremely quickly. That is, if there is no PCM signal coming through the HDMI cable, the AVR's processor unlocks and starts searching. The easiest example of this is when the PS3 is idling on the XMB, or a game is paused, the AVR 254/354 seems to lose its lock on the PCM audio information the PS3 is sending it. This results in the "clicks" of the XMB scrolling not being heard, and certain games (notably Metal Gear Solid 4 and GTA IV) losing audio at first when the pause menu is closed. Also, the Playstation 3 startup sound appears to get cut off.Solution:Fixed in 06-10-08 (That's October 6th, not June 10th) Firmware Update. PCM lock will still time out, but takes significantly longer to do so.2) Audio dropout on Blu-Ray movies:
A) "There Will Be Blood": Chapter 3 between the 35:00 and 36:23 minute mark.
B) "The Lookout": Chapter 9 between 51:12 and 52:28.
C) "Shine A Light": Multiple dropouts in first ten minutes.
Solution: Appears to be fixed in 06-10-2008 firmware update.3) Audio dropout on PS3 Games:
A) Metal Gear Solid 4
1) Absent dialogue and very muted background noise during cut scene. Cycling through surround modes does seem to fix this issue temporarily.
2) When getting a call, center channel (dialogue) is inaudible. Surround effects/background noise remains audible, though.

B) Grand Theft Auto IV
1) Receiver appears to default to Logic 7 surround mode. Should read out as MPCM
2) While in a vehicle, all audio from cell phone conversations is inaudible. When outside the car, only the Niko (the main character) can be heard.
C) NCAA Football 09
1) Voice from Play by Play analysts is missing. Cycling through surround modes appears to fix issue.
D)Lego Indiana Jones, Madden 09, Top Spin 3
1) Various audio dropouts, when/if audio does return it can sound "hollow"...almost like in a cave.
Solutions: All issues appear to be fixed in 06-10-2008 Firmware Update.4) HDMI Syncing issues: The AVR 254 and 354 have trouble syncing to a new HDMI device when switching between sources. E.g.- when switching between a PS3 and cable box, or Xbox 360. Screen tends to flash green and/or pink.
Solutions: Significantly corrected in new firmware. Remaining problems appear to be combination of AVR and source fault.5) "Processor: Off" functionality: When selecting "Processor: Off", the AVR 254/354 does not actually stop processing the signal. It continues de-interlacing and working on the signal. Users are completely unable to bypass the processor. Also directly affects BTB/WTW (Blacker Than Black/Whiter Than White) pass through.
Solutions: Fixed in 06-10-2008 Firmware Update.
6) 1080p/24: The AVR 254 and 354 appears to blocking the transfer of 1080p/24 material in certain cases. The option remains grayed out and unselectable. The receiver indicates getting a 1080p/24 signal from the source (Blu Ray) but then passes the signal along as 1080p/60 to the display.
Solutions: Fixed in 06-10-2008 Firmware Update7) The Bridge II:
A) Navigation through iPod menus can be laggy and at times completely unresponsive.
B) Disabling Bridge charging does not actually disable charging...the iPod still charges in the dock.
C) There appears to be a glitch related to The Bridge II and the standby light color on the AVR.
Solutions: Navigation speed has been improved, though still laggy with new firmware. iPod still charges even when charging is disabled. Standby light glitch still remains.
8) PCM LFE signal: When receiving a PCM signal, the LFE track is much higher than a standard Dolby Digital or DTS signal, to the point of drowning out dialogue when left unadjusted. This results in users having to tweak settings back and forth between different sources.
Solutions: None
9) HDMI to DVI Connections: Some users have reported issues hooking up their AVR 254/354 to a display using HDMI to DVI connections. Harman/Kardon has acknowledged these problems and is working on another firmware update.
Solutions: Possibly fixed in Firmware version 95.1.1
10) Motorola Cable Boxes: Users with Motorola Cable Boxes (eg-Cox Cable users) are having severe issues with HDMI syncing when switching between HD and SD programming. Picture flashes green and/or pink, and immediately becomes scrambled.
Solutions: None. Has been present since firmware 46.3.1, has gotten more severe since 93.1.1 updateIf anybody knows of other issues (my brain is fried right now, so these are all I can think of) let me know and I'll update the first post.

****UPDATE****

With the new firmware (apparently) approaching quickly, I thought it would be a good idea to post the AVR-254/354 firmware check sequence.

Firmware Check Sequence

From HK's Support page:

"With the AVR turned on, push the "AVR" button at the bottom of the remote, press the 1, 2, 3 and 4 buttons on the remote in that order; then press the OK button.
After a short pause, the software version number will appear on the AVR's front-panel display."

If that doesn't work, try pushing "1, 2, 3, 0" then "OK".

Here's a picture of the AVR's screen when displaying firmware:

***MAJOR UPDATE***

New firmware has been posted on Harman/Kardon's website. Link here: Harman/Kardon AVR 254 & AVR 354 Firmware Update

This update addressed the issue with DVI to HDMI connections. Let's see what's fixed and what (hopefully isn't) now broken.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:46 PM

HDMI board and front panel/settings not working

Just wanted to mention that i solved the problem with HDMI board and front panel/settings not working with replacing two encapsulated fuses and the jump cable. I also upgraded the firmware but it failed on the video stage even after fixing the HDMI).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3780.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1200090   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3633.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	525.6 KB
ID:	1200138   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3634.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	1200146   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3635.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	1200154  
Old 01-30-2016, 12:51 PM

Hello everyone! I was hoping someone here might help with my firmware update. I downloaded the firmware files from the HK website and went to install them, but I get an error. When I run the HK_Upgrader application, I get an error code as soon as I press the continue. My code says "Restricted user, error code -2147352567 (800200009). Could someone be able to help? Thanks, Tyler
Old 01-30-2016, 01:18 PM

Nevermind, I should have searched a little better. Got it working.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:31 AM

Hi all,

I have a Harman Kardon AVR 255 receiver and ater 3 years now i'm starting to get problems.

I really hope some on can help me because Harman Kardon give's me the finger.

First problem:

When i'm listing (verry loud) music -10db the right channel colllapse.. You dont here much then @ the right channel. (also surround speaker and the back speaker right is gone.) (7.2 speaker set)
When the music is getting louder left collapse also. But the strange thing is, its like verry smooth gone so not a relay thats activated.
When i go to -20 db the channels come verry smooth back and everything is oke then.
But when i go to higher then -10 db the channels going away again (left also) . and i hear only the subwoofer then.

Second problem is:

I'm getting messages o my TV screen that my TV gets a input he doesn't reqonize . When i shutdown the AVR255 and back on i have image back.
This occurs sometimes but not always.

Most of the time when i look netflix thru my PS4.

Anyone who can help me with this?

Is there some schema that i can use and test my unit with the voltages / bad cap's? or something like that?

I really hope you can help me.

Regards,

tim
Old 06-27-2016, 11:25 AM

Hi all,

I'm more posting this for google people like me..
Thats the reason why i came here because google show me this thread .

I got a solution for HDMI failures but not as common in this thread.
I opened my cover and i seen the bypass wire to the resistance. And i have 2 x 3.15AMP 250V fuses.
So i think harman kardon done this bypass in factory because my avr 255 is never send to a company.

My problem was the capacitors 2200UF 6.3V 85C there are not flat but bolt (that means there are leak).
I sold them of and put 2200UF 16V 115C on it. Problem solved! hdmi works like candy again

Only problem i dint find is when i play high volume about -10 DB the channels collapse (sort of smooth mute ) when i put volume to 15 DB they come verrry smooth back.
Its not that i play every day loud music but some times i do and yes -15DB is loud also i know but i like to put it sometimes on -10db.

If anyone knows about this problem i like to hear it

regards,

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 354 7x75w 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Harman Kardon Avr 254 7x50w 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 3a Repeater