Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 07-28-2008, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 279
I know that Classé SSP-800 is supposed to be the best pre/pro ever delivered if you listen to all the marketing and Classé followers. Don't get me wrong I like Classé and own several pieces, but I am not a worshiper, I want good value for my money.

So here are two high end products, Classé SSP-800 and Moon CP-8 both made in Canada with great looks and similar prices if there are dealer that have both I would love to hear from you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-28-2008, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Classe and SimAudio are not usual names that leap to my mind in the "good value for my money" category... in the same way that Porsche and Ferrari are not top of mind in "best value for money" cars. Comparing Porsche and Ferrari can be interesting, but one does not usually directly consider price, since it is implicitly no object once you get into this space...

Just wondering what got you there in your thought process? What constitutes good value for your money in your mind?
post #3 of 30 Old 07-28-2008, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Carroll View Post

Just wondering what got you there in your thought process? What constitutes good value for your money in your mind?

I am willing to pay a premium for high quality, outstanding design, reliability customer service and be one of the best if not the best
post #4 of 30 Old 07-28-2008, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I am willing to pay a premium for high quality, outstanding design, reliability customer service and be one of the best if not the best

I think you should sell your classe and buy moon.

seriously... does other peoples opinion matter? you're asking people to compare 2 products that can't be compared at this point. they are going to be about as subjective as your opinion is...

ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country can do for you.
post #5 of 30 Old 07-28-2008, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikoniko View Post

you're asking people to compare 2 products that can't be compared at this point. they are going to be about as subjective as your opinion is...

Not subjective; imaginary.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #6 of 30 Old 07-28-2008, 06:36 PM

Why bother, with "high end" processors you are paying for the name.
post #7 of 30 Old 07-28-2008, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikoniko View Post

I think you should sell your classe and buy moon. seriously... does other peoples opinion matter? you're asking people to compare 2 products that can't be compared at this point. they are going to be about as subjective as your opinion is...

KM...
post #8 of 30 Old 07-28-2008, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougWinsor View Post

I agrre that highend charge a lot more because of the name, it is like luxury brands, Tiffany, Louis Vitton, Hermes, Poltrona Frau..... Also I don't think Denon, Onkyo, Integra, Yamaha, Pioneer, Sony even come close to the quality of audio you find in the Classe or Sim or Mark Levison. I owned all these brands at one point in time and they all had shortcomings in quality.

An other analogy would you buy a Lexus or a Chevy? For me I would rather buy a Lexus, the reason is called QUALITY
post #9 of 30 Old 07-29-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:

Also I don't think Denon, Onkyo, Integra, Yamaha, Pioneer, Sony even come close to the quality of audio you find in the Classe or Sim or Mark Levison.

What are you basing this on? Classe, sim, and levison can not even produce a HDMI product and/or are years late to the market so why would you think they would have good sound quality, besides the name and placebo.

Quote:

the reason is called QUALITY

Car talk aside why would the high end have better quality?
post #10 of 30 Old 07-29-2008, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What are you basing this on? Classe, sim, and levison can not even produce a HDMI product and/or are years late to the market so why would you think they would have good sound quality, besides the name and placebo. Car talk aside why would the high end have better quality?

The way they are designed, components used, attention to details just listen and you will see
post #11 of 30 Old 07-29-2008, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I know that Classé SSP-800 is supposed to be the best pre/pro ever delivered if you listen to all the marketing and Classé followers. Don't get me wrong I like Classé and own several pieces, but I am not a worshiper, I want good value for my money.

So here are two high end products, Classé SSP-800 and Moon CP-8 both made in Canada with great looks and similar prices if there are dealer that have both I would love to hear from you.

I agree with eric at $8000 for the classe and $15,000 for the cp8 neither are value for money. if wanting value for money the nad t175 comes to mind at a fraction of the price and is no worse in decoding capability as the classe the marantz 8003 would probably be better "value for money" than the moon CP8 with similar capability and again at fraction of the cost.

would come down to jsut what engineering your dollar is buying wiht eihter of these or is it just a lot of empty space inside the box ? have you got pics of the internals of either ? would give some idea of what your money is buying.

a lot of people jsut buy on brand names. and there would be no question with some of these you are "paying" for the brand. thats not to say either make crap stuff, moon certainly make some sensational 2ch gear.

neither are released, till they are you'll jsut get peoples opinion and even after that unless you compare the two for yourself you will jsut be going on what people say and marketting fluff.

perhaps to work out the real "value for money" nature of these it would be worth also comparing to some other contenders. will give some perspective and a real feel of how these actually stand up.

as far as the "classe worshippers" seriously ofcourse theyre going to tell you its gods gift to man or something

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #12 of 30 Old 07-29-2008, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Plain old Dolby Digital has been around for a decade and lots of high end companies still don't get it right (IMO), mostly selling their brand based on (supposedly) superior analog sections. What makes you think they will do HDM over HDMI any better? When Lexicon and Meridian (and maybe Bryston) come out with a product with this capability I will be more interested.

"The truth is out there!"
post #13 of 30 Old 07-30-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:

The way they are designed, components used, attention to details just listen and you will see

So you just assume and have no evidence to support your claim? If it sounds better to you with Mr placebo at you side so be it but some people think that lifting their speaker cables off of the ground gives better sound quality.

Quote:

would come down to jsut what engineering your dollar is buying wiht eihter of these or is it just a lot of empty space inside the box ? have you got pics of the internals of either ? would give some idea of what your money is buying.

I assume the picture posted is that of the SSP 800 and it is once again "air" inside a box.

Quote:

a lot of people jsut buy on brand names. and there would be no question with some of these you are "paying" for the brand.

Exactly, its kind of the snob factor becuase the owners would not like it if their friends saw a denon product in their audio rack.
post #14 of 30 Old 07-30-2008, 11:19 AM

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...2&postcount=36

Someone posted the SSP 800 picture in the 20k+ section.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=28891

Or go right to the source and see what it uses for DAC's and what not.
post #15 of 30 Old 07-30-2008, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So you just assume and have no evidence to support your claim? If it sounds better to you with Mr placebo at you side so be it but some people think that lifting their speaker cables off of the ground gives better sound quality.

I assume the picture posted is that of the SSP 800 and it is once again "air" inside a box.

Exactly, its kind of the snob factor because the owners would not like it if their friends saw a denon product in their audio rack.

I never cared about impressing anyone but myself.
post #16 of 30 Old 07-30-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:

I never cared about impressing anyone but myself.

If it sounds better to YOU all the more power to you, why or how is irrelevant since it is your opinion.
post #17 of 30 Old 07-30-2008, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If it sounds better to YOU all the more power to you, why or how is irrelevant since it is your opinion.

I don't know yet I have never heard it, which is why I didn't preorder and pay $8K for something I have never seen or heard in real unlike about supposedly over 200 Classé believers.

I am curious to hear it and see if it is that much better, also I am looking at the Integra DTC 9.9 coming out at Cedia!
post #18 of 30 Old 07-30-2008, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't know yet I have never heard it, which is why I didn't preorder and pay $8K for something I have never seen or heard in real unlike about supposedly over 200 Classé believers.

I am curious to hear it and see if it is that much better, also I am looking at the Integra DTC 9.9 coming out at Cedia!

have you ever bought a (insert your favorite automotive manufacturer here) and blindly bought another one when you decided to trade it in based on your previous experience?

Oh, and subtract one from your count, because I have heard the SSP-800 well before I end up taking delivery of it.

It would seem that this product is the one everyone loves to hate. Kind of like king of the hill? Everyone has to push him off?

post #19 of 30 Old 07-30-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:

In some cases, not all.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
post #20 of 30 Old 07-30-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:

What are you basing this on? Classe, sim, and levison can not even produce a HDMI product and/or are years late to the market so why would you think they would have good sound quality, besides the name and placebo.

For the record, Classe' uses HDMI 1.3b certified hardware in their new SSP-800 and its release is imminent. The company's reputation for building high quality sounding products didn't happen overnight. The fruits of their labors were built on proven engineering principles and a desire to make the best of the hardware available at the time.

Unfortunately, most people will accept less than the best and that is what other companies cater to. For those that top quality matters to, companies like Classe' are there to answer the call. They aren't competing on price but on performance, no corners have to be cut. Two different business models yields two different results.

Quote:

Car talk aside why would the high end have better quality?

Better parts, better circuit topologies, better engineering. Some companies engineer products to last others don't. Again, the differences between product development parallel the differences between business practices.

post #21 of 30 Old 07-30-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

I agree with eric at $8000 for the classe and $15,000 for the cp8 neither are value for money.:

You don't know that. Are you familiar with the phrase "pay me now or pay me later"? My Honda wasn't cheap and I didn't buy it for it's good looks either. I buy Honda because it is built to last and they have earned a well respected reputation for it. It's no different in the area of audio. How many times have you replaced your equipment in the past five years? The SSP-800 is built to last and that's why it comes with a five year transferrable warranty. Can you say that about your Denon??? I think not. That, my friend, is value.

post #22 of 30 Old 07-30-2008, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What constitutes good value for your money in your mind?

I get it now.

In this thread value is performance, so good value for money means maximum performance for lowest cost (maintainability, upgradability, service, and of course audio performance). In other words if Classe and Simaudio have the same performance, Classe is better value for money since it is cheaper.

In other people's minds (Hi Doug!) performance is the same for all SSPs so the only differentiator is features. Thus best value for money is max features for lowest cost - the current winner being Onkyo.
post #23 of 30 Old 07-30-2008, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I get it now.

In this thread value is performance, so good value for money means maximum performance for lowest cost (maintainability, upgradability, service, and of course audio performance). In other words if Classe and Simaudio have the same performance, Classe is better value for money since it is cheaper.

In other people's minds (Hi Doug!) performance is the same for all SSPs so the only differentiator is features. Thus best value for money is max features for lowest cost - the current winner being Onkyo.

value as determined/perceived by the customer. some prefer form over function and value a half inch plate for a front panel, others how it looks and put value behind the brands name. To others how it actually performs and what it actually does is more valuable.

value for money is always a balancing act. the more an item costs the harder for it to be value for money unless it provides something of real value to the customer that nothing cheaper provides.

for the context of this thread youd need to ask the original poster WSE as to what it is exactly he values. If it is on pure performance terms, given the subjective nature of audio, its not something he'd be able to answer in respect to the two items in question till they are actually released compared vs each other and other items providing the same or similar performance at various price points.

The japanese manufacturing companies particualrly Toyota are masters of producing items of "value" they always ask the simple question

“Would someone pay for this?” If the answer is no, then it's waste."*

To decide if something is of value to you you need to ask yourself the same question. Items providing the same value to you for less money will obviously be greater value for money....

* refer TPS for a simple definition

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #24 of 30 Old 07-31-2008, 12:49 AM

Quote:

I don't know yet I have never heard it,

Why does everyone continue to believe that these units have sound? Its all about features and processing, pretty simple, speakers have sound.

“Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.”
post #25 of 30 Old 07-31-2008, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandphan View Post

Why does everyone continue to believe that these units have sound? Its all about features and processing, pretty simple, speakers have sound.

if that was the case, then a $100 HTIB would sound the same as any other receiver / pre-pro, such as the Denon or Classe.

post #26 of 30 Old 07-31-2008, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandphan View Post

Yep, that's one perspective. Know of any DBT results that confirm this? Just curious.
post #27 of 30 Old 07-31-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
In some cases, not all.

And that is what I am trying to find out but so far no processor out there does it.

Quote:
For the record, Classe' uses HDMI 1.3b certified hardware in their new SSP-800 and its release is imminent.

And look how late they are to the market, so much for superior engineering.

Quote:
Unfortunately, most people will accept less than the best and that is what other companies cater to. For those that top quality matters to, companies like Classe' are there to answer the call. They aren't competing on price but on performance, no corners have to be cut. Two different business models yields two different results.

Again you just assume that the classe will have "better" quality.

Quote:
Better parts, better circuit topologies, better engineering. Some companies engineer products to last others don't.

How are the parts better, or better circuit topologies, and the engineering is not better since they hade to use a DSP setup from another company and could not develope their own. The DAC's are no better as well.

Quote:
It's no different in the area of audio. How many times have you replaced your equipment in the past five years? The SSP-800 is built to last and that's why it comes with a five year transferrable warranty. Can you say that about your Denon??? I think not. That, my friend, is value.

Ok, so you pay more for a better warranty and customer support but don't think your money bus something "better" or better sounding just because it does cost more money or has a different name on the front.
post #28 of 30 Old 07-31-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:

And that is what I am trying to find out but so far no processor out there does it.

I think you lost me.

Quote:

And look how late they are to the market, so much for superior engineering.

The SSP-800 is a complex and sophisticated device. It takes time to stamp out all the issues and even then when you think you've got them all something at the last minute surfaces and then a judgment call has to be made. That's the nature of engineering and no one is immune to the process. I'm sure recent AVP-A1HD adopters have a clear understanding of this by now given the firmware issues they've had lately. Not sure what your point is.

Quote:

Again you just assume that the classe will have "better" quality.

I've made no assumptions. You asked why would the high-end have better quality. I believe my explanation was clear.

Quote:

How are the parts better, or better circuit topologies, and the engineering is not better since they hade to use a DSP setup from another company and could not develope their own. The DAC's are no better as well.

I'm not sure you are fully aware of what is involved in parts selection, circuit design, PCB manufacturing and the role that business objectives play in the development of the product. Therefore, I don't think I can explain it in a meaningful way that you would be open to understand. I will say that parts selection is only half of it, the other half is in the implementation. Better parts does not necessarily imply better performance but it does imply better potential for obtaining better performance in competently skilled hands.

Quote:

Ok, so you pay more for a better warranty and customer support but don't think your money bus something "better" or better sounding just because it does cost more money or has a different name on the front.

I don't think that but I do think that it serves as a useful barometer of overall quality and the company's intentions to stand behind their product.

post #29 of 30 Old 03-08-2014, 09:41 PM

I would say the Oppo 105D is very good. You can run three ARC stereo preamplifiers, if you are content with the Oppo’s DACs? You have the subwoofer connected to the Oppo, then you have very high-end theatre, with whatever big power amplifiers you desire. Then you have 6.1, are there many Blu-Ray 7.1 disks out there?

The high priced processors are not worth it to me, and most of them are behind the curve. Some, I see sold cheap now, but no audio HDMI. Would I get the high dollar processor, not unless I had the newest HDMI 1.4 and maybe not even then.

I think you get a bargain buying an older Denon (model 4802) and using the 7.1 inputs from an Oppo to the analogue intputs to output a large two channel power amp, then you do have all the new audio formats, usually DTS HD Master, as the Oppo will do that with the analogue outputs.

I use this for my bedroom and it uses the amplifiers in the Denon for the centre, surround and rear speakers.
I have am ARC stereo with a Cary SS amplifier and a Classe SSP 25 for SACD and for movies in the lower 5.1 with the older coaxial digital, and it works for me when watching movies.

One system is just a single room, high-end stereo, which plays movies to my satisfaction the other is an HT system. If I have to have the higher audio movie sound, I use the Denon set-up; it works for me.
post #30 of 30 Old 03-09-2014, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityBob View Post

I would say the Oppo 105D is very good. You can run three ARC stereo preamplifiers, if you are content with the Oppo’s DACs? You have the subwoofer connected to the Oppo, then you have very high-end theatre, with whatever big power amplifiers you desire. Then you have 6.1, are there many Blu-Ray 7.1 disks out there?

The high priced processors are not worth it to me, and most of them are behind the curve. Some, I see sold cheap now, but no audio HDMI. Would I get the high dollar processor, not unless I had the newest HDMI 1.4 and maybe not even then.

I think you get a bargain buying an older Denon (model 4802) and using the 7.1 inputs from an Oppo to the analogue intputs to output a large two channel power amp, then you do have all the new audio formats, usually DTS HD Master, as the Oppo will do that with the analogue outputs.

I use this for my bedroom and it uses the amplifiers in the Denon for the centre, surround and rear speakers.
I have am ARC stereo with a Cary SS amplifier and a Classe SSP 25 for SACD and for movies in the lower 5.1 with the older coaxial digital, and it works for me when watching movies.

One system is just a single room, high-end stereo, which plays movies to my satisfaction the other is an HT system. If I have to have the higher audio movie sound, I use the Denon set-up; it works for me.

I had a revelation plugging in the OPPO BDP-105 directly into my amps is unbelievable the sound is as good as throughout the Classe for 1/9th the price!

Yes the SSP-800 has a lot more features and multiple ways to have different configurations but I only watch Blu Ray movies and listen to music.

I need only one I put for the APPLE TV I don't watch cable. Also just plugging in my Mac Mini through the USB port works great
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page