Interesting article comparing audio codecs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-30-2008, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just read an interesting article comparing audio codecs in Home Entertainment magazine. It sounds like about as good of blind listening test as you can get. After reading it, as a by far video first guy, I'm not going to be in any hurry to upgrade my Yamaha RX-V2400 for the RX-V1800. The article can be found on www.hedmag.com. Just click on "other features" and scroll down to the second article titled signal to noise. I apologize if this info has already been posted on this forum.

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-30-2008, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 109
It's been posted, but not everyone has probably seen it. I wish Dolby and DTS would publish these WAV files using the exact same source

* Uncompressed music segment with lots of high frequency info especially cymbals
* encoded to 448kbs Dolby Digital, then undecoded to a WAV file
* encoded from 768 kbs DTS, then decoded
* encoed to 1.5 Mbs DTS, then decoded
* encoded to Dolby Digital+ at a typical bitrate, then decoded
* encoded to DTS HD High Resolution audio at a typical bitrate, then decoded

There's no need to have samples of undecoded lossless audio, as it's identical to the uncompressed sample.

With these files, individuals could decide for themselves.

In the meantime, if your player can decode TrueHD as 1.5 Mbs, you are in great shape. The player should be able to send the very high quality 1.5 Mbs DTS-HD Master Audio core even though it can't decode the lextension.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 10 Old 07-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Keep in mind that DTS-HD Master Audio is capable of lossless audio with variable data rates up to 24.5 Mbps. If there will be such sources there is likely to be a big improvement over the 1.5 Mbps core. TrueHD has somewhat lower capabilities.
post #4 of 10 Old 07-30-2008, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 1316
I found this somewhat amusing about the DTS labs reference 7.1 setup:

Quote:

In lieu of a stack of power amplifiers, this system was instead easily powered by a Denon AVR-2808CI audio/video receiver

the blasphemy!! a lowly RECEIVER powering the DTS reference setup!?! and not even a flagship model?!?! don't they know that if they're not using separates they are committing audio heresy!?!??

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-30-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

I found this somewhat amusing about the DTS labs reference 7.1 setup:

the blasphemy!! a lowly RECEIVER powering the DTS reference setup!?! and not even a flagship model?!?! don't they know that if they're not using separates they are committing audio heresy!?!??

They failed to mention that those KRK's are active studio monitors, which means they have built-in poweramps - bi-amped with 160 watts for the LF driver and 120 watts for the HF. The poweramps are designed and optimized specifically for each driver, and the active crossover is before the power amps.

Pro audio studio stuff is a little different than HT...
post #6 of 10 Old 07-30-2008, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 1316
I figured they were active monitors.... like I said, just thought it was an amusing little passage in the article.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #7 of 10 Old 07-31-2008, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
This article confirms what I have suspected - that the considerable extra cost of adding lossless DolbyHD and DTS-HD is hard to justify for all but the well-heeled. The fact that even these well-seasoned audiophiles, in optimum conditions, could detect only the very slightest difference between the original PCM track and plain old DD tells me that my money is better spent on the video rewards of BD than the audio. Thanks to Home Entertainment for this article - it will help me a lot of other people save a lot of money on my HT system.

"The truth is out there!"
post #8 of 10 Old 08-17-2008, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Here's a more direct link to the article comparing lossless DolbyHD and DTS-HD to existing codecs, but I'm sure it will fall upon deaf ears for most around here. Resulting pun purely coincidental, but apt, nevertheless.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-18-2008, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
That important article should be linked by the mods in a sticky, both here and in the BD player forum, but I doubt they will bite the hand that feeds them.

"The truth is out there!"
post #10 of 10 Old 08-18-2008, 11:41 AM

Well seasoned audiophiles!!! LOL.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page