AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaccool View Post

Hello all,

What in gods name do I need to press to get the receiver to display multi channel so I can get HD audio out of my receiver?? I really appreciate the input, later.

John M.

The green button to the right of the TurboEncabulator.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3190 Old 10-11-2008, 12:22 AM
GDP

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Under the HDMI settings, there is a choice between YCbCr and RGB (which also has Standard and Enhanced options). Which is better? I can't really find any literature that compares the two, and which offers what. Of course, the Denon instruction manual is useless in this regard, but what else is new?

I'm running an Xbox 360, and an HD cable box through HDMI, plus an old upconvert DVD player (upscaling to 1080i) through component, then upscaled to 1080p through HDMI again (sounds weird, I know...) and going into a Panasonic TH-50PZ800U through HDMI.
post #543 of 3190 Old 10-11-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDP View Post

Under the HDMI settings, there is a choice between YCbCr and RGB (which also has Standard and Enhanced options). Which is better? I can't really find any literature that compares the two, and which offers what. Of course, the Denon instruction manual is useless in this regard, but what else is new?

Leave it at YCbCr. TV's tend to like YCbCr formatted signals. You use RGB for certain projectors and other display devices that are more computer display then TV. And the Standard vs Enhanced setting for RGB normally pretains to the black values in the signal. Standard uses normal computer definition of black, but video can have an alternate set of black values. I think it's meant to avoid "black crush" effect on some displays.
post #544 of 3190 Old 10-12-2008, 05:15 AM

I've had somewhat of a chance to demo the unit....but one of my front speakers is humming, even when I unplug my sub and receiver and there's no power to the speakers at all. What could be causing this; is it my electric line run near speakerwire? My electric in my house is real old. Why would it just be ONE speaker buzzing? The second I connect the speaker wire? Anyone?
post #545 of 3190 Old 10-12-2008, 06:00 AM

after much debate i picked up the 2309. i got it home late last night so only had time to get it hooked up and do a little bit of testing.

This morning my wife wanted to listen to one of the cable music channels, only no sound would play. I tried other music channels and nothing their either. Regular cable channels worked fine, but mtv, vh1 and the radio channels wouldn't produce a sound.

I have my cable box hooked to the receiver with a component cable until i get a svideo patch cable. The receiver goes to the tv via hdmi.
post #546 of 3190 Old 10-12-2008, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtown_pete View Post

after much debate i picked up the 2309. i got it home late last night so only had time to get it hooked up and do a little bit of testing.

This morning my wife wanted to listen to one of the cable music channels, only no sound would play. I tried other music channels and nothing their either. Regular cable channels worked fine, but mtv, vh1 and the radio channels wouldn't produce a sound.

I have my cable box hooked to the receiver with a component cable until i get a svideo patch cable. The receiver goes to the tv via hdmi.

I had the same issue....only sound I could get was through the front access with a stereo to 3.5 audio plug to my iphone. The sound I did get was great ,but at best this demo of this unit has been frustrating as hell. Coupled with the new buzzing in one of my speakers : EVEN when There's NO POWER to the speaker...is Ridiculous (Although , I'm pretty sure the buzz is because of an Ethernet cable near the speaker wire..... UTP "Unshielded Twisted Pair" It's just weird because I don't have buzz in my center or my other front left speaker and they're all run near the ethernet>>> Sometimes this stuff really sucks AVS PEOPLE HOW DO YOU DO IT!?!?!
post #547 of 3190 Old 10-12-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkenned70 View Post

I had the same issue....only sound I could get was through the front access with a stereo to 3.5 audio plug to my iphone. The sound I did get was great ,but at best this demo of this unit has been frustrating as hell. Coupled with the new buzzing in one of my speakers : EVEN when There's NO POWER to the speaker...is Ridiculous (Although , I'm pretty sure the buzz is because of an Ethernet cable near the speaker wire..... UTP "Unshielded Twisted Pair" It's just weird because I don't have buzz in my center or my other front left speaker and they're all run near the ethernet>>> Sometimes this stuff really sucks AVS PEOPLE HOW DO YOU DO IT!?!?!

Wow that is real weird. I don't have no buzz. And everything works amazingly except for certain cable channels.

I just watched a John Mayer concert on blu ray that the sales rep gave me and let me say I am never going to see a live show again. I don't even like John Mayer. Between the sound quality, video presentation, cheap refreshements, and easy access to restrooms I can't think of a reason to leave the house.

Anyhow my cable sound problem is strange. The sound will come on for a second and then it will disappear when the picutre tunes in on the TV.
post #548 of 3190 Old 10-12-2008, 10:28 AM

Other than purchasing a Denon ipod dock, what would be other options to hooking my iPhone up to the Denon for a low cost?
post #549 of 3190 Old 10-12-2008, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi everyone,

I am having a bit of trouble setting this receiver up.

I have a SPL Meter and have always used that and Avia to change the speaker levels and distances manually so this Audyssey MultEQ setup is new to me.

I ran it for all 6 positions, but there are a few things I don't understand.

1) What sound level do you have the receiver on when running the automatic setup? Does it even matter?

Audyssey caibrated all speaks at a - db. Ranging anywhere from -3db to -6.5 DB.
This doesn't make much sense to me unless it is calibrating at a specific volume level, which it doesn't display. Any ideas about this?

2) I then manually ran the test tones and used my SPL meter. While in test tone mode, you can set the receiver volume. I set it to 0db and then calibrated all channels to 80db. (This was done with the input my HDMI HD cable box is running into being the active one)
So after I did this I can hit the "ch select/enter" button the remote and cycle through the sound levels of each speaker. They all show the new manual levels, not the automatic ones. All seems fine.
I then go to my bluray input (PS3) and start a movie... I click the "ch select/enter" button and it shows the MultEQ automatic channel levels again, not the manual ones. I then go back to the manual test tone thinking this must be done for each input, but they all show my manual settings from before. So now it seems I have no way of making this input use my manual sound levels?

Any ideas or explanations?

Go Broncos!
post #550 of 3190 Old 10-12-2008, 07:39 PM

Liked: 11
anyone need discrete code in Hex for denon 2309/889, let me know.
post #551 of 3190 Old 10-12-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaccool View Post

Hello all,

What in gods name do I need to press to get the receiver to display multi channel so I can get HD audio out of my receiver?? I really appreciate the input, later.

John M.

All you have to do is set the PS3 audio output to HDMI, and set the BD/DVD audio output as Linear PCM. From then on, all audio streams will be decoded by the PS3 and output as PCM to your receiver. I just got the 889 and it displays MULTI CH IN with no problems.
post #552 of 3190 Old 10-12-2008, 10:02 PM

anyone able to connect to the HDP port (HDMI port#2) ? Tried 3 sources with no success. (satellite box,HD DVD player, and HTPC)

also unable to get the Dolby TrueHD indicator to light up from Matrix HD Dvd although the HD Audio Blue light do comes on. Will try again for TrueHD with Batman Begins HD Dvd later this week.
post #553 of 3190 Old 10-12-2008, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyhole View Post

Other than purchasing a Denon ipod dock, what would be other options to hooking my iPhone up to the Denon for a low cost?

There are AV cables from Apple and "China" that convert audio (red/white) and video from the dock connector. Or, just a headphone mini to red/white audio cable, Radio Shack. Make sure you put the phone into airplane mode to play music or you'll get some real bad GSM buzzzzzz.

post #554 of 3190 Old 10-13-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigspur1984 View Post

Will the 2309 handle 4ohm speakers?

Has there been a consensus on this? I read the manual, but I only saw that it says it will handle down to 6ohms. I'm sure the amps can handle 4ohms, but up to what output level? I plan to drive four 4ohm surround speakers, the rest of the channels are 8ohms. See any problem with this?
post #555 of 3190 Old 10-13-2008, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedavis76 View Post

Has there been a consensus on this? I read the manual, but I only saw that it says it will handle down to 6ohms. I'm sure the amps can handle 4ohms, but up to what output level? I plan to drive four 4ohm surround speakers, the rest of the channels are 8ohms. See any problem with this?

I'm running 4Ohm speakers across my front and they play loud and clear.
Louder than I dare for a sustained time if I don't want the police to come in and watch the movie too??

post #556 of 3190 Old 10-13-2008, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by igoeasy View Post

anyone able to connect to the HDP port (HDMI port#2) ? Tried 3 sources with no success. (satellite box,HD DVD player, and HTPC)

also unable to get the Dolby TrueHD indicator to light up from Matrix HD Dvd although the HD Audio Blue light do comes on. Will try again for TrueHD with Batman Begins HD Dvd later this week.

You need to go in and change one of the inputs to HDMI. The only one that seems to be set up for default HDMI (if I remember correctly) is the DVD/HDP input. For TV/CBL you need to go into the setup menu.
post #557 of 3190 Old 10-13-2008, 12:06 PM

wow ; after having some time to Iron out my issues and get this bad boy up and runnin'. I'm most pleased. The sound is far cleaner and the room fills with highs and mids quickly. This is a kick-arse unit , which seems to be most limited by it's documentation and ease of use. Other than those setbacks ; this is a fantastic piece of equipment and I feel as though I have made steal at $499 + Tax. Thank you shircuit shiitay
post #558 of 3190 Old 10-13-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igoeasy View Post

I connect my Toshiba A35 HD DVD player to the HDP port (HDMI 2) and able to play TrueHD with no problems. You have to make sure to turn on Digital Direct in the Toshiba Audio setup.
post #559 of 3190 Old 10-14-2008, 08:12 AM

How does everyone feel about how fast this receiver locks to new digital streams (i.e. switches decode algorithms)? My current receiver seems to take several seconds to lock and decode and I end up missing a few words. Is everyone happy with this behavior on this receiver?
post #560 of 3190 Old 10-14-2008, 01:11 PM

OMG. I just bought this receiver and I guess i'm too old now cause its so confusing lol. I have it all hooked up i think. The sound is good so far. But How do I know if im getting "true hd" sound? The receiver just says dolby digital. I guesss I have a lot of reading to do
post #561 of 3190 Old 10-14-2008, 01:16 PM

Questions for the owners of the 2309/989 AVR's:

What feature if any do you find you wish you had on the receiver you own?

Do you wish you had upped your purchase to the 2809?
post #562 of 3190 Old 10-14-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedavis76 View Post

How does everyone feel about how fast this receiver locks to new digital streams (i.e. switches decode algorithms)? My current receiver seems to take several seconds to lock and decode and I end up missing a few words. Is everyone happy with this behavior on this receiver?

It is a little noticeable. It didn't take but one channel change for me to pick up on the delay. I guess you take some bad with the good. ?

It was easy to overlook , when even my wife thought the sound was amazing.
post #563 of 3190 Old 10-14-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn jack View Post

Questions for the owners of the 2309/989 AVR's:

What feature if any do you find you wish you had on the receiver you own?

Do you wish you had upped your purchase to the 2809?

Honestly none. I think feature-wise, it's pretty complete. Now quality-wise, the 2809/989 probably has better amplifier and DACs than the 2309/889.
post #564 of 3190 Old 10-14-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobonsai View Post

But How do I know if im getting "true hd" sound? The receiver just says dolby digital. I guesss I have a lot of reading to do

Make sure you switch to the TrueHD audio track on player then a bright blue light will be luminated then also look for TrueHD indicator on the front display.

amazing sound from the receiver in all its glory.
post #565 of 3190 Old 10-14-2008, 11:35 PM

I'm looking to pick up one of these new receivers. i was just wondering if it's considered an "upgrade" going from a denon avr 889. This is going to be 150-200 dollar upgrade (returning the denon). I know i'll be missing out on audyssey and have to deal with ypao, but im willing to live with that, IF, the amp is as good as the denon. I know it says its 130watt driven, but is that all channels? I saw the sound & vision test on the v1800 and it dipped down to 50 watts per channel when it was 7.1. 100 watts when it was 5 channels. The denon is listed at 100watts all channels driven. I was able to find the powersupply amperage on the denon, which is 5.5. The only thing i was able to find on the yamaha was that it was 1100 watt max consumption. The yamaha has 10-13 pounds on the avr 889. Should i upgrade??? I've been contemplating the whole day. Thanks.
post #566 of 3190 Old 10-15-2008, 06:24 AM

Just hook up the AVR-889 last night. I got everything working properly but there is one concern.
My TV is Panasonic Plasma EDTV TH-42PD50U bought in 2005. It got one hdmi but I don't think it is 1.3 HDMI.
Also I used a hdmi cable come with my PC monitor, not sure if it is hdmi 1.3.

I set "HDMI AUDIO" to "TV" but I don't hear any sound from the TV. Does this "HDMI AUDIO" require HDMI 1.3 to work?
post #567 of 3190 Old 10-15-2008, 10:05 AM

Does anyone know how the denon power ratings do on bench tests? I noticed that a yamaha v1800 only gets about 55 watts when 7 channels are driven, although its rated at 130 watts. Is yamaha known for inflating their ratings? Does denon do the same? I think the yamaha weighs about 10 pounds more then the 889, so is it safe to say the v1900 would outdo the 889 even though the real world #'s on the v1800 is so poor?
post #568 of 3190 Old 10-15-2008, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Denon's power ratings and real world performance are much more accurate and closer to spec...

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.
post #569 of 3190 Old 10-15-2008, 01:41 PM

I was wondering if anyone has found a way to work this out:
I have 3 sources...a bluray player and 2 HD HVR's. When i watch a movie, i want the saound through the amp. when i watch TV, i want the sound through the TV. As far as i have been able to figure it out, i cannot do this easily. I have tried to program the quick select buttons but they do not seem to effect the HDMI settings....
its pretty frustrating.
post #570 of 3190 Old 10-15-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxnews View Post

Just hook up the AVR-889 last night. I got everything working properly but there is one concern.
My TV is Panasonic Plasma EDTV TH-42PD50U bought in 2005. It got one hdmi but I don't think it is 1.3 HDMI.
Also I used a hdmi cable come with my PC monitor, not sure if it is hdmi 1.3.

I set "HDMI AUDIO" to "TV" but I don't hear any sound from the TV. Does this "HDMI AUDIO" require HDMI 1.3 to work?

anyone experience this? This feature is useful when watching regular TV.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page