Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3192 Old 11-19-2008, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

also, to get audio out of the optical out you need to set the REC OUT SOURCE by pushing the button on left of the unit, below the input knob, and then selecting the source you want to output using that knob. as far as I know only digital inputs will come out of that digital output, but you should test and see.

as to "direct" vs anything else, you just have to experiment and choose what sounds best to you.

Thank you so much beaker and batpig. From your explanations I understand it much better now, and about using the rec out button (before your explanations it confused me with it also being the zone 2 output). The only output I've been able to get so far from VCR 2 optical out, is from the VCR 2 optical in, but that's a great start (and the sound from the phones is amazing!). I'll report back if I get any further.

One more question; for the non digital components, is there any advantage in outputting from the Denon's VCR2 red/whites analog output into the Pioneer, or is going out of the headphone jack with analog adaptor exactly the same sound quality?

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3192 Old 11-20-2008, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

I can't talk about the quality (I'd guess they'd be the same) but by using the headphone jack you'll be auto-muting your speakers (amps) [possibly a menu option to toggle that off]. If you use the red/white RCA audio out you'll have both headphone and speakers outputing sound and I'd guess muting the AVR would mute all audio outputs (I haven't verified this yet as I could see why you'd mute the AVR to not hear it in the room but want the REC out still "hearing" the sound for output/recording.)

I have setero audio out going to a PC TV tuner card (and an S-Video output) and like the setup. I hadn't thought to test a AVR muting and see if the PC TV card still gets the audio or not.
post #723 of 3192 Old 11-20-2008, 09:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by imacdonald View Post

I just got a 2309 and I am waiting on the speaker wire coming in so currently I don't have any speakers connected.

My issue is that I don't get any sound from the tuner or the mac mini, is there something I need flip to get analogue audio to go to the TV via HDMI? I get sound via headphones on the receiver so I know it is getting that far.

This receiver will not transcode other audio sources (analog, optical/coax) and output over the HDMI monitor output. The only audio that will go out to the TV over the HDMI monitor output is HDMI audio. The setting basically is setting whether you want the receiver to strip the HDMI audio or just pass it along to the TV, but it won't pull in other types of audio.

You'll probably just have to wait until you get speakers, or if you want to verify right now you can run an analog L/R output from the VCR or TAPE outs to the TV. (but you may have to set the REC OUT source to get sound this way).

Also, remember for the Mac mini, whatever input you plugged it into make sure to go into INPUT SETUP and set the input mode to "Analog" otherwise the Denon will probably be looking for audio from the HDMI input.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #724 of 3192 Old 11-20-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:

AL24 processing is applied only to digital PCM signals. so, yes, it will help CD audio if the CD player is connected via a digital audio cable (2-channel PCM) and it will also help with multichannel soundtracks, like decoded SACD or hi-res audio from a Blu Ray.

2309/889 doesn't have AL24 however.

Thanks batpig. I posted my question on the wrong thread. I do have 2808 which has al24.

So AVR-2808 + Denon BD ray player (2500-BTCI) + CD Audio = al24?

Thanks
post #725 of 3192 Old 11-20-2008, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

correct, any digital PCM input, 2-channel or multichannel, will have AL24 processing applied to it.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #726 of 3192 Old 11-20-2008, 01:29 PM

I did it! I read throught this whole thread! Even all the endless CC deal posts!

Anyway had the unit (2309CI) about a month and I am very happy. Still tweaking it a little. I have a pair of DT BP7004's for Mains and a Yamaha sub. Any recommendations on settings (using LFE+Main now)? Anyone try running the LFE output to the BP7004's? Thanks in advance
post #727 of 3192 Old 11-20-2008, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

don't pat yourself on the back too hard, the 1909/789 thread is almost four times as long!!

if you read the whole thread, surely you read this post:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post15018166

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #728 of 3192 Old 11-20-2008, 04:46 PM

I did, and your explanation really cleared up the whole double bass thing. I think that was causing some of my displeasure with too much bass in certain programs( i'll no more tonight).
I was mostly curious about peoples thoughts because of the built in powered subs in the def techs and the option to give them the LFE signal direct.

I may try to get through the DEF Tech thread but...
post #729 of 3192 Old 11-20-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:

This receiver will not transcode other audio sources (analog, optical/coax) and output over the HDMI monitor output. The only audio that will go out to the TV over the HDMI monitor output is HDMI audio. The setting basically is setting whether you want the receiver to strip the HDMI audio or just pass it along to the TV, but it won't pull in other types of audio.

Thanks, that was what I was guessing but wanted to confirm since the manual wasn't very forthcoming on the topic.
post #730 of 3192 Old 11-20-2008, 07:46 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPR1556 View Post

I did, and your explanation really cleared up the whole double bass thing. I think that was causing some of my displeasure with too much bass in certain programs( i'll no more tonight).
I was mostly curious about peoples thoughts because of the built in powered subs in the def techs and the option to give them the LFE signal direct.

I may try to get through the DEF Tech thread but...

I have my DT BP7006 speakers both connected with the LFE input using LFE+MAIN and have no issues with too much bass, although I don't have an additional dedicated sub.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #731 of 3192 Old 11-21-2008, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have had my 2309 for several weeks now and am awed by how much better I am enjoying it compared to the AVR-3300 it replaced. This is the third Denon AVR I have owned and I continue to be impressed with the product's sound quality and input flexibility. Thanks to the tips and setup guidance from Batpig and some other posters it only took me a couple of hours to configure my system once I turned it on. Loved the auto speaker setup, and then muddled through seting the inputs\\outputs. Only one hdmi cable going to the plasma, all the video switching is now done by the 2309, many fewer cables, and it handled all my stuff, HP Windows Media Extender, 6412 Cable box, HD/BRAY Combo Player, DVD changer, CD Player, Dual Deck VCR, Cassette Player, and Turntable! No more switching various inputs on the TV and Receiver, the 2309 handles the video signals and upconverts when necessary from them all, and of course the sound from them all. Great video quality on the upconverts and the audio is still impressing me more each day, especially the level volume and auto decoding of the different input formats. The only thing that will make me upgrade again is running out of hdmi inputs in another 10 years and then it will be another Denon. Thanks again to Batpig and the gang for making this stuff so much easier and fun!

David Ferebee
post #732 of 3192 Old 11-21-2008, 12:15 PM

Hi there,

Apologies if this is a repeat. I'm considering getting a new Blue Ray player and thought I'd ask the 2309 thread opinions. Is there a reason to go to say the Sony 550 over the 350 when the 2309 will do most of the work for you? Which player have most of you "married" with the 2309? Looking to spend under $500.

Set-up:
Wii
XBOX360
AVR-2309
Panasonic PT-AX200U (720P) - HDMI
5.1 Surround
post #733 of 3192 Old 11-21-2008, 12:41 PM

Well your price range will get you a PS3 and BD looks great in my opinion.
post #734 of 3192 Old 11-21-2008, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caser View Post

Hi there,

Apologies if this is a repeat. I'm considering getting a new Blue Ray player and thought I'd ask the 2309 thread opinions. Is there a reason to go to say the Sony 550 over the 350 when the 2309 will do most of the work for you? Which player have most of you "married" with the 2309? Looking to spend under $500.

Set-up:
Wii
XBOX360
AVR-2309
Panasonic PT-AX200U (720P) - HDMI
5.1 Surround

Sony S350 --> AVR-2309 --> Panasonic PT-AE900U

Excellent trio. I'm still impressed with my 'older' generation Panasonic projector, watched WALL-E Blu-ray last night and even at 720p the picture was stunning. If you are interested in frame by frame and slo-mo (which the S350 doesn't do) you will want to consider the Panasonic BD 35/55 players.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #735 of 3192 Old 11-22-2008, 10:16 AM

Hi everyone, I am new to this so please be kind, I am looking at a sytem using the 2309, and had a question, this thread is long so I haven't seen it addressed. Will the 2309 with hdmi upscalling improve the picture quality of 480 p signals comming from a direct tv hd box showing old non hd programs? also in the showroom there seemed to be a delay in changing channels, it was hard to tell where it was comming from, this might be annoying for a channel surfer. For someone hho was looking at a Bose v20 system this forum has helped me see the light.
post #736 of 3192 Old 11-22-2008, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by billspec1 View Post

Hi everyone, I am new to this so please be kind, I am looking at a sytem using the 2309, and had a question, this thread is long so I haven't seen it addressed. Will the 2309 with hdmi upscalling improve the picture quality of 480 p signals comming from a direct tv hd box showing old non hd programs? also in the showroom there seemed to be a delay in changing channels, it was hard to tell where it was comming from, this might be annoying for a channel surfer. For someone hho was looking at a Bose v20 system this forum has helped me see the light.

I believe the 2309 will not do any processing to HDMI video. The only thing it will do is pass the video through. It does good deinterlacing 480i material but it was not meant to be a true 1080p scaler.
post #737 of 3192 Old 11-22-2008, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

In the showroom were they actually switching channels or sources? I have noticed a slight delay when watching cable and switching between digital HD, digital, or analog channels, there is no delay when surfing within the three categories. There is also a delay when switching viewing sources like from cable to DVD while the Denon adjusts to the new audio and video signals being processed. I would much rather put up with these slight delays and have the Denon doing all the scaling/processing and source switching. The 2309 is my 3rd Denon and the best yet!

David Ferebee
post #738 of 3192 Old 11-22-2008, 02:44 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Hi everyone, I am new to this so please be kind, I am looking at a sytem using the 2309, and had a question, this thread is long so I haven't seen it addressed. Will the 2309 with hdmi upscalling improve the picture quality of 480 p signals comming from a direct tv hd box showing old non hd programs? also in the showroom there seemed to be a delay in changing channels, it was hard to tell where it was comming from, this might be annoying for a channel surfer.

The DirecTV HD STB will actually do just as good (if not better) a job of upscaling the 480p signal so there's no need to use the 2309 for video upscaling at all. Just run an HDMI cable from the DirecTV HD box directly to your HDTV and an optical cable from the DirecTV HD Box to the 2309. By letting the DirecTV HD box do the upscaling to 1080i (set NATIVE to OFF in the DirecTV HD Display settings, and check 1080i box), and bypassing the 2309 for video, you will also prevent the "delay" you saw when changing channels.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #739 of 3192 Old 11-23-2008, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

FYI - I can confirm now that the 2309 does have the same HDMI issue with Sony XBR TVs as the xx08 models. I have a Sony XBR4 52 KDL TV and the Denon 2309 and in the last day I've had 2 one to two second complete black/blank video and no audio. I can rewind the cable HD DVR and re watch over that same segment without having the A/V dropout at all. It seems to be exactly like the issue the xx08 models had with Sony TVs. Going to give Denon a call tomorrow about warranty and hope for some news.

EDIT: PS - Please note I have the 2309 on the very top (no side walls or shelf above) of a AV shelving unit. This AVR has no air restrictions at all and the room is about 67F. I sincerely believe this is not a symptom of over heating.
post #740 of 3192 Old 11-23-2008, 05:51 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker1024 View Post

FYI - I can confirm now that the 2309 does have the same HDMI issue with Sony XBR TVs as the xx08 models. It seems to be exactly like the issue the xx08 models had with Sony TVs. Going to give Denon a call tomorrow about warranty and hope for some news.

By xx08, you're referring to models other than the 2308? I've been on the 2808 thread for the past year, and although we've only had a few Sony XBR4 posters, I don't recall any of them making comments about the issue you are having with video/audio dropouts. Are you certain it's not your cable HD DVR? There have been many posts regarding issues with faulty Scientific Atlanta STBs. Which HD DVR do you have?

post #741 of 3192 Old 11-24-2008, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

By xx08, you're referring to models other than the 2308? I've been on the 2808 thread for the past year, and although we've only had a few Sony XBR4 posters, I don't recall any of them making comments about the issue you are having with video/audio dropouts. Are you certain it's not your cable HD DVR? There have been many posts regarding issues with faulty Scientific Atlanta STBs. Which HD DVR do you have?

I do have a sa8300HD but I thought that if I can rewind and play the same segment of video over again without the 2sec A/V blackout it most likely wasn't the DVR.

BTW It was the 3808 that I read alot of Sony XBR TV issues with the 2sec blackout and it was source independent. I haven't had it happen on anything but the HD DVR but's that's over 90% of the viewing time choice as input. Maybe the 2309 HDMI components are more like the 3808 (the handshake, etc...)

Also note that I have had the same DVR box for 3 years and it never did this when playing straight to the TV (was with the XBR4 TV for 1 year straight DVR straight to TV without this happening).
post #742 of 3192 Old 11-24-2008, 04:36 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker1024 View Post

I do have a sa8300HD but I thought that if I can rewind and play the same segment of video over again without the 2sec A/V blackout it most likely wasn't the DVR.

Just a guess, but feeding a "live" signal and a "saved to hard drive" signal are probably coming from two different sources, therefore it could still be the DVR. Your call to Denon might prove otherwise.

post #743 of 3192 Old 11-24-2008, 09:23 PM

I have dropouts as well. My DTC3416I cable box feeds the 889 via HDMI and the 889 feeds a KDL30W3000 Sony TV also via HDMI. There are no dropouts when when I switch to TV mode where the cable goes directly to the TV.

My other problem is with my HTPC. My computer has a HD3850 dual channel video card. One output feeds the 889 via DVI-I to HDMI and the other feeds a HP LP2475w monitor via DVI-I. Turning on HDMI control in the 889 drives the HD3850 crazy when I change something on the 889. For example, switching from TV to computer and back can cause the control screen to switch from the monitor to the TV. Sometimes the control screen is kept and the data switches between the monitors. Try recovering when that happens.

And finally, I don't get audio over the HDMI. I am using the HD3850 dongle which should supply audio, and does when connected directly to the TV. Other than that, all is well.

Howard
post #744 of 3192 Old 11-25-2008, 05:43 AM

Im looking to buy the 2309 soon and have read a lot of reviews and all the threads on this receiver on this site. Maybe someone here can tell me what im looking to hear! Does it sound good! is it going to blow my old yamy away Is it going to knock the snow off my roof? Am i going to piss off my neighbors? I could care less about scalers,pre outs 12v triggers,etc! I don't care if sponge bob square paints is going to look good in 480i vs 480p! I've read alot of talk on 1080p pass through which is good because to me it looks great and don't what my receiver to mess with the picture but nothing on 1080i and 720p which i watch the most. As long as it doesn't mess with the picture and sounds good with tv, blueray movies and music im happy. Im just looking to upgrade my receiver to work with the new audio,hdmi,and hopefully get alittle more midrange that ive been lacking from my yamaha 5650. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S im not trying to rag on you guys some people are in to all that kind of stuff and I've learned alot from these forums. Just looking to hear its worth the money?
post #745 of 3192 Old 11-25-2008, 08:47 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintbrush1 View Post

Im looking to buy the 2309 soon and have read a lot of reviews and all the threads on this receiver on this site. Maybe someone here can tell me what im looking to hear! Does it sound good! is it going to blow my old yamy away Is it going to knock the snow off my roof? Am i going to piss off my neighbors?

The Denon and Yammy produce two different sounds, although other threads go into much more detail with comparisons between the two which is why the best suggestion is to try them side by side. As far as "knocking the snow off your roof" you most likely won't see any difference in sound volume with a mere 20 watt increase from your Yammy. Most folks barely get above 10 watts usage on average.

post #746 of 3192 Old 11-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSNEWMAN View Post

I have dropouts as well. My DTC3416I cable box feeds the 889 via HDMI and the 889 feeds a KDL30W3000 Sony TV also via HDMI. There are no dropouts when when I switch to TV mode where the cable goes directly to the TV.

My other problem is with my HTPC. My computer has a HD3850 dual channel video card. One output feeds the 889 via DVI-I to HDMI and the other feeds a HP LP2475w monitor via DVI-I. Turning on HDMI control in the 889 drives the HD3850 crazy when I change something on the 889. For example, switching from TV to computer and back can cause the control screen to switch from the monitor to the TV. Sometimes the control screen is kept and the data switches between the monitors. Try recovering when that happens.

And finally, I don't get audio over the HDMI. I am using the HD3850 dongle which should supply audio, and does when connected directly to the TV. Other than that, all is well.

Have you put in a call yet to Denon about the dropouts? I have been too busy to call as of yet.
post #747 of 3192 Old 11-25-2008, 02:05 PM

I agree there two differant sounding receivers my yamaha has been a great receiver thats produce rich quality sound at any volume but lacking something. I'm looking at the denon over the yamaha because of the better features the denon has to upgrade to the new audio and hdmi hook ups etc, The audessy EQ on the denon sounds like a nice feature over the yamaha 863. I know onkyo has a comparable receiver but IMHO the sound seems like someones talking through a tin can with poor video quality. Just wanted to know what people think of the sound quality of the denon over the yamaha I like rich sound of music and looking for movies to sound alittle better than what I have now (Don't get me wrong it sounds awsome) but i'd like action movies and it seems like im missing that bang like the sound of a sword coming out of a sheath i want to hear shinnnnnnng not shing if that makes sense.
post #748 of 3192 Old 11-25-2008, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think you will be very pleased, not so much about Denon vs. Yamaha (I think they both sound great) but the Auyssey Room EQ will bring your speakers to life.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #749 of 3192 Old 11-25-2008, 03:48 PM

Is this reciever still $499 at CC in store?

Was trying to read the thread but I don't have time to get through it all :P

Sony KDS-50A3000
Onkyo 7.1 w/ Velodyne sub
80GB PS3
Xbox 360 Elite + HDDVD drive
Wii
post #750 of 3192 Old 11-25-2008, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

no that was a mistake price, some people got the 889 at the discount price of the outgoing 888 model

Setup Guide and FAQ

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page