*Official* Denon AVR 2309CI/889 Thread - Page 57 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-20-2009, 04:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1609
so you are trying to "stack" both the PS3 (with HDMI) and the 360 (component + optical) on the same input "name", correct? So they will both be accessible by selecting "DVD"?

1) make sure you actually REASSIGN the component input to the DVD name! You didn't have to physically unplug the cables, all you had to do was reassign them under INPUT SETUP > ASSIGN.

2) the PS3 has to be OFF for the 360 to come through. Otherwise the HDMI will take precedence. Also make sure Video Convert is turned on for the DVD input (INPUT SETUP > VIDEO)

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2009, 04:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

how long is the warranty on Denons?

all Denons have a 2-yr warranty when purchased from an authorized dealer.

there is a crap ton of information out there on Onkyo 806 and Denon 889, do some reading and research their specs/features. but there is a good chance the stock is already gone anyway.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 02-20-2009, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69gs400s View Post

Greetings - was at CC last nite and they had the 889 for $449 (new in sealed box).
Lets say my budget is $1000 or under - is this still a unit you would be considering ? If not what else ?

"video portion" is really not a factor -your new HDTV will handle that part better than any AVR in your price range. Unless they have a 989 proportionately cheap I'd snap that up!

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys!

I have a problem I can't seem to figure out. I currently have the 2309ci running great except for one thing. I have a blu ray movie on my computer and a HD4870 HD Card.. It has the HDMI output adpater running from it to my "vcr" (lol) HDMI input on the AVR. Also, I get a picture of my desktop and when I select the movie to play...it plays fine however i get no sound. I can't figure it out for the life of me..HELP!!!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 02-21-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Something is clearly wrong with the way the AUTO SETUP is being done, either mic placement, or perhaps with Audyssey itself. Your Paradigm Mini Monitors only go down to 70hz so there's no reason that the Denon would have set them to LARGE if it was receiving the correct information from the Audyssey software. When they are set to SMALL by the Denon after AUTO Setup, you'll know you're on the right track.

I tried turning off all the EQs, thinking that they may be interfering some how, but it didn't make a difference. The mic is setup in the center of the room on a tripod, pointing at the ceiling. The distances are connected directly, but they are still listed as Large. Not sure what else to try.

On a positive note, the audyssey setup only sets the trim at -6 as opposed to -9!
Old 02-21-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexsta View Post

Hi Guys!

I have a problem I can't seem to figure out. I currently have the 2309ci running great except for one thing. I have a blu ray movie on my computer and a HD4870 HD Card.. It has the HDMI output adpater running from it to my "vcr" (lol) HDMI input on the AVR. Also, I get a picture of my desktop and when I select the movie to play...it plays fine however i get no sound. I can't figure it out for the life of me..HELP!!!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Laptop or desktop? Do you have 2 monitors?

This is probably a setting in your video card drivers.. did you try specifying/changing the resolution?
Old 02-21-2009, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpete View Post

I tried turning off all the EQs, thinking that they may be interfering some how, but it didn't make a difference. The mic is setup in the center of the room on a tripod, pointing at the ceiling. The distances are connected directly, but they are still listed as Large. Not sure what else to try.On a positive note, the audyssey setup only sets the trim at -6 as opposed to -9!

pete, did you do a microprocessor reset yet? I don't know what "EQ's" you turned off, but all AVR settings are ignored while running autosetup. BTW there is really nothing "positive" (better) about -6 vs -9. -/+12 is what is bad.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:

Laptop or desktop? Do you have 2 monitors?

This is probably a setting in your video card drivers.. did you try specifying/changing the resolution?

Thanks for the help guys....Yeah I just downloaded the latest driver (ATI 8.5) for my card as it was addressed (HDMI to the AVR was recognized as DVI) and i get sound. Now, I'm dealing with just stereo sound? It's a blu ray rip....shouldn't it be 5.1? Anyone know why?
Old 02-22-2009, 03:53 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2120 Post(s)
Liked: 1775
Quote:

I tried turning off all the EQs, thinking that they may be interfering some how, but it didn't make a difference. The mic is setup in the center of the room on a tripod, pointing at the ceiling. The distances are connected directly, but they are still listed as Large. Not sure what else to try.

When you say "the center of the room" do you mean the center of the listening position (like the couch), or do you literally mean the center of the room with the couch being say 5-6' back of that position? If the latter, the mic positions should be taken from the main listening position (ie. the couch).

Paradigm lists the frequency response at 70hz-20khz (at +/-2db vice +/-3db) however, they also list a Low Frequency Extension of 43db which is apparently low enough and why the Denon is setting the mini monitors to LARGE (generally around 40db or lower). With a sub trim of -6 you should be good to go now. You can just manually set the mini monitors to SMALL with a crossover of 80db.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 02-22-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

When you say "the center of the room" do you mean the center of the listening position (like the couch), or do you literally mean the center of the room with the couch being say 5-6' back of that position? If the latter, the mic positions should be taken from the main listening position (ie. the couch).

Paradigm lists the frequency response at 70hz-20khz (at +/-2db vice +/-3db) however, they also list a Low Frequency Extension of 43db which is apparently low enough and why the Denon is setting the mini monitors to LARGE (generally around 40db or lower). With a sub trim of -6 you should be good to go now. You can just manually set the mini monitors to SMALL with a crossover of 80db.

ok! sounds good. Thanks for your help. I was initially using the main position on the couch to do the measurement, but after reading the FAQ on the Audyssey website, it says that the measurement should be in the center of the "room" as opposed to the couch. As per the Audyssey setup guide done by someone on this forum, they seem to contradict each other. Is the couch the recommended position in spite of Audyssey's recommendation?

Link: http://www.audyssey.com/faq/index.ht...endedpositions
Old 02-22-2009, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

no, the FAQ actually says "The first microphone position must always be in the center of the listening area." Not the "room" necessarily....

That being said, your best bet is to experiment. Try running Audyssey both ways.... see which one gives you results you like better.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 02-22-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexsta View Post

Thanks for the help guys....Yeah I just downloaded the latest driver (ATI 8.5) for my card as it was addressed (HDMI to the AVR was recognized as DVI) and i get sound. Now, I'm dealing with just stereo sound? It's a blu ray rip....shouldn't it be 5.1? Anyone know why?

anyone?
Old 02-22-2009, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

dexsta -- I wish I could help but I have zero experience with sound card output via HDMI. This is a new universe of connectivity and apparently HDMI sound cards have added a whole new layer of "handshake" compatibility fun to the wild world of getting HDMI devices to play nice together. In a way you are somewhat of a pioneer in mostly uncharted territory.

I can observe that the problems originate on the computer side almost universally. The receiver doesn't have many settings that could influence the situation; all it can do is decode what is given to it. Typically, it seems to be a combination of having the correct driver and audio output settings on the computer side.

Here is a thread where people are discussing getting HDMI audio to function with their ATI card outputting to a Denon 1909, but it should still be relevant or your situation with 2309.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1052385

Hopefully that thread will have legs and become a sort of central repository for people trying to get HDMI soundcards to function with HDMI receivers....

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 02-22-2009, 11:37 AM

thanks batpig!!! you are a great help...I read the thread and i have yet to install the latest realtek HDMI audio driver (2.13)...Maybe that'll help I'll report back.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

report back in both threads if you can, I think it's a good idea for that ATI/1909 thread to get bumped up so people see it, like I said it would be awesome if that thread becomes a real resource for other HTPC users using these new HDMI cards.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 02-22-2009, 06:00 PM

Reporting back...Installed the realtek HDMI driver and when I did that and went to my sounds control panel it showed the realtek driver but it also showed it to "device disconnected" and no other HDMI output was availible so I uninstalled and now i don't know what else to try or do..I guess i'll go back to the original HDMI output re-applyed itself on the uninstall. However, i'm wondering if there's something i can do in the BIOS to make sure the HDMI output is from the audio chip in the card (says it supports 7.1) and not from the MB. I'm lost...
Old 02-22-2009, 07:06 PM

Try to disable audio in the BIOS.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:07 PM

dexsta - if it's something you downloaded, it should be known most of the time those .mkv's are only 2-channel to cut down on the file sizes.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barfly711 View Post

dexsta - if it's something you downloaded, it should be known most of the time those .mkv's are only 2-channel to cut down on the file sizes.

Interesting....Here I thought a 4gb file would have the HD sound embedded....This then explains the two channel output. Thanks....then I guess i shouldn't be chasing my tail on this one. I should be happy with the sound coming out in this configuration.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmanderson View Post

I know some folks just love to see their AVR "light up" the HD audio indicator, ostensibly so they have a visual cue to show them they're getting what they paid for, but has anyone else been bothered by the *obnoxious* "cool blue" HD audio indicator in dark rooms?

Some BD players can't decode HD formats internally (except PCM which is required), and must bitstream the output, so is there any way in software to "lessen" the brightness, or disable it outright, when sending an HD audio signal such as Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA to the AVR-889?

I'm almost willing to crack open the receiver if it is simply a matter of unplugging an LED.

Not sure if the vents would give you a clear line of sigt to the LED, but if so you could dislodge it this way without opening the case (possibly with a small long knife, be sure to unplug : ). I don't have this prob. w/PS3.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhw58 View Post

How does the 889 compare to the Onkyo 805/806? If you buy from CC, how long is the warranty on Denons? Last weekend my CC had some Dennon 889's and Onkyo 806's.
Thanks, Mike

Hey, I had the 805 and when it died Fry's offered to trade me out with an 806 and I chose the lower priced 889 instead (they ALL looked at me like I was an idiot). The two receivers are pretty similar even though the Onkyo is spec'd much higher in power, THX, etc., it runs MUCH hotter, is ~2 inches deeper and weighs at least twice as much. The Denon is equalized with better Audyssey MultiEQ (the MultiEQ is a favorite as is Dyn Volume) and these easily make up the difference in sound quality. Though neither unit has very good video processing, I always had HDMI handshake probs with the Onkyo and it would shut down on large action sequences and this never happens on the Denon (though you have to make sure you have everything assigned correctly and its on the correct input mode for what you think it should be doing). On the Onkyo, I lost the rear surround channel amplifiers early on but I started using the other surround channels. Finally, the entire amplifier section stopped working completely, which is hard to ignore.

As many on AVS have stated, slightly more stated amplifier power and THX certification on the 805 is no substitute for a unit with newer, more meaningful technology that works well. For even money I'd go with Denon.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:02 AM

Picked up the 2309 a couple weeks ago and it works great. One thing that's kind of weird connectivity wise - I have an Apple TV and it the video doesn't work using HDMI through the receiver, just get wavy lines. But it works fine using component cables through the receiver. I thought it might be a problem with the Apple TV's HDMI input, but it works if I connect it straight to the TV. (My TV's almost four years old and has only one HDMI input, plus I want to do all my source switching through the receiver.) It's not a big deal because it works great with the components, but I just wondered if anybody else was having similar problems with an Apple TV.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I experienced HDMI handshake issues where I would get video dropouts running my AppleTV with HDMI through my older AVR 888. I don't think I ever saw wavy lines though, although it could just be your TV reacts differently than mine. I ended up switching it to component + optical instead.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 02-23-2009, 10:41 AM

So I had been looking to upgrade and like many people I chose the Denon over the Onkyo due to the "blue dots" issue. I got it connected this weekend and everything was working just fine. I connected a Wii to the VCR input using a standard AV cable and this is where I have issues. If i connect the AVR to the TV with a standard AV cable and let the TV handle the upconversion the picture is fine. If however I connect the AVR to the TV with an HDMI cable, which was part of the reason for upgrading, the picture looks like crap with artifacts everywhere regardless of weather I tell it to upconvert at any resolution or not at all. Am I missing something? I figured one of the advantages to this thing is only having to connect it to the TV with a single HDMI cable. Maybe I was just under the wrong impression.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtb147 View Post

So I had been looking to upgrade and like many people I chose the Denon over the Onkyo due to the "blue dots" issue. I got it connected this weekend and everything was working just fine. I connected a Wii to the VCR input using a standard AV cable and this is where I have issues. If i connect the AVR to the TV with a standard AV cable and let the TV handle the upconversion the picture is fine. If however I connect the AVR to the TV with an HDMI cable, which was part of the reason for upgrading, the picture looks like crap with artifacts everywhere regardless of weather I tell it to upconvert at any resolution or not at all. Am I missing something? I figured one of the advantages to this thing is only having to connect it to the TV with a single HDMI cable. Maybe I was just under the wrong impression.

Try to avoid using a composite cable with a completely digital display. Are you using the composite (single cable, usually yellow) or component (3 cables, usually red, green, and white)?

My experience with the Wii led me to decide that the single HDMI to the TV is the best option. The silly cable interface Nintendo insists you use means there's maybe 2-3 different makes for video/audio cabling, and all have an idiotically short distance from the 3 component and the 2 audio. Since I had to run patch cords for the video, I had a ton of noise.

Now, I run the component and audio to the 2309 with no patch cords, and run the HDMI from the 2309 to the TV. Works great, the picture quality is vastly improved.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:14 PM

So is your Wii connected to the VCR inputs? I get sound for the Wii but no picture.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I am a little disappointed in the input limitations of the Denon. That is, you can not choose the same video input for 2 different audio inputs if the video input is HDMI. I have a media extender connected via HDMI that I watch tv with but can also do slideshows that I want to watch while listening to music from another source/audio input but this is not possible with the Denon.

This is one of the things I miss from my HK 254. It has a set number of "sources" that you can set the video and audio inputs to be whatever combination you want of actual physical HDMI, digital, and analog audio and video inputs (with duplications if desired). The front panel display of the HK is also nice and readable from a distance. I often wish I could just combine the features and operation of 2 different receivers myself and create my own .
Old 02-24-2009, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

yes, the limitation on the Video Select feature not working with HDMI sources is a big bummer. So you are saying the HK 254/354 does allow this? It seems to be a common limitation on HDMI across brands so I am interested if that is true.

If you don't do it frequently, as a temporary work-around you can just go to INPUT SETUP > ASSIGN and temporarily reassign the audio input you want to use to the "name" your media extender is using.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 02-24-2009, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

So you are saying the HK 254/354 does allow this? It seems to be a common limitation on HDMI across brands so I am interested if that is true.

Yes, in fact I had 2 different "sources" set to both use the same HDMI video input to get around the HK's poor "Auto Select" surround mode feature (so I just selected the "TV" source to get PLIIx Movie and the "Media Server" source for PLIIx Music but both using the same inputs).
Old 02-24-2009, 02:26 PM

So here I am finally trying to set up my system. I have a full Axiom setup.
M-80's, VP-150, EP-500 and QS8 surrounds (not hooked up yet)

I started trying to calibrate while waitng to a return call. Up to the 3rd seating position (even though I have doubts I was doing it right) Axiom calls and tells me to set the mains to large, center to small, and to NOT use Audessey to set up and use the system.

Any thoughts?

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver