Forum Jump: 

post #1801 of 3192 Old 03-09-2009, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by generallee View Post

I don't know about the quality issue but it was a 200 speaker.

But I have another issue about set up. My AVR 2309 comestomorrow and my harmony remote the next day. I have a laser disk/CD player that I want to hook up. I assume that I would hook up the leads of the video, and RCA of the laserdisk to the vcr input and tell the Harmony when I want the amp, laser disk and tv to turn on all three. But then for CD only would I need to split the RCA inputs and run another RCA cable to the CD input and tell the Harmony to just turn on the AMP and Laser disk? Or is this unnecessary???

JUst setup 2 activities, one to turn on the amp, TV and laserdisk and the other to turn on the Amp and the laserdisk. You can keep the same input for both activites, just adjust what is turning on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 3192 Old 03-10-2009, 11:41 AM

Hey guys just joined this forum and had a question about the 2309. I'm setting it up on Friday (using the instructions from batpig) on my day off and was wondering the best route to take for the auto setup feature.

Right now I have a 5.1 setup and have NO immediate plans to get a blue ray player that will allow for the true 7.1 sound on some discs.

I'm wondering how much work it would be to setup 5.1 now and then setup full 7.1 setup later when I get a player (ill just use some old KLH for the rears)? Or should I just wire up the 7.1 right off the bat?
post #1803 of 3192 Old 03-10-2009, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 961
nah, the only thing you will have to is take 20 minutes to re-run Audyssey when you get your new speakers. Go ahead and set it up normally now as a 5.1, following the instructions on my website and the Audyssey Setup Guide.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #1804 of 3192 Old 03-10-2009, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven8795 View Post

I'm wondering how much work it would be to setup 5.1 now and then setup full 7.1 setup later when I get a player (ill just use some old KLH for the rears)? Or should I just wire up the 7.1 right off the bat?

You would just rerun autosetup after connecting the backsurrounds, no big deal. A small/med room may be just fine with 5.1, especially with good surrounds correctly placed. DynEQ/VOL makes a nice surround "bubble" on my 5.1 setup.
outdrawn again!

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #1805 of 3192 Old 03-10-2009, 11:55 AM

Sounds good. Ill just set it up with 5.1 now. My room is wide and deep so eventually 7.1 will work well in the room. I have a little off topic question. Where should I put the better speakers when I go to 7.1 on the sides or the rears?
post #1806 of 3192 Old 03-10-2009, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

sides probably, since most soundtracks are native 5.1 and the 7.1 is just "extra" ambiance the better speakers will likely stay with the sides.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1807 of 3192 Old 03-10-2009, 01:35 PM

I have a 2309 with an Opo 981, BD30 and Comcast DVR all HDMI in with 1 out to my Pany Plasma. I've noticed for the last couple of weeks video dropouts for 1 or 2 secs, once or twice a night. It only happens when watching TV for both live and DVR recorded programming. I don't know if it's the Comcast/Motorola box or a handshake issue with the Denon. It doesn't happen enough to make it annoying, but it does happen. Has anyone else experienced this? Any opinons? Thanks.

tmoss
post #1808 of 3192 Old 03-10-2009, 01:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

does it happen randomly or does something trigger it (i.e. changing channels, hitting fast forward / rewind)?

if it just occurs randomly, and it drops video for a sec or two and then comes right back, and only ever occurs with the cable box, it could be something as innocuous as the cable broadcast itself just getting "weak" now and then. It could also be a failing or loose HDMI cable; if you can't find a pattern in the occurrence of the dropouts maybe try swapping the HDMI cable.

Doesn't really sound like "handshake" problems if it's just a brief 1-2 sec dropout and then it comes right back. But who the heck knows with cable boxes and HDMI?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1809 of 3192 Old 03-10-2009, 04:42 PM

anyone wanna sell me their remote (rc-1099) and/or their setup mic (DM-A409)?
PM me...
post #1810 of 3192 Old 03-11-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

does it happen randomly or does something trigger it (i.e. changing channels, hitting fast forward / rewind)?

if it just occurs randomly, and it drops video for a sec or two and then comes right back, and only ever occurs with the cable box, it could be something as innocuous as the cable broadcast itself just getting "weak" now and then. It could also be a failing or loose HDMI cable; if you can't find a pattern in the occurrence of the dropouts maybe try swapping the HDMI cable.

Doesn't really sound like "handshake" problems if it's just a brief 1-2 sec dropout and then it comes right back. But who the heck knows with cable boxes and HDMI?

Last night it didn't happen at all. A weak signal is what I suspected, but wanted to see if anyone else experianced this problem. I'll try another HDMI cable.

tmoss
post #1811 of 3192 Old 03-11-2009, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Since I had assigned my optical input to tv/cbl I thought I would enter the preset codes to operate the TV which is a sony. What a pain. Did the setup worK? In a pig's eye.
Did I do it right? "
Probably not.
went to front of remote: Put switch 1 on vidio and switch 2 on tv
Turned remote over and opened trap door
Pushed main on and zone2 off at the same time
pushed 5 tv/cbl and entered a sony code as shown on table
then pushed 5 again to try to operate. Did not work....tried another code...nada
Since I am looking at the back of the remote I can not see the ir flash because it is not on the back of the remote. It is on the front. My Harmony is supposed to be here on the 17th and this is the 11th.
So I went and read post 771 by JR as follows

Originally Posted by shawnz28
Ok I have what is likely a silly question. I have tried programming the remote for my cable box but so far without luck. I set the slider to Sat/Cable and on the back side did 5 for TV/CBL and have tried all 3 codes.

Not sure what "on the back side did 5" means, however, if you follow the Presetting directions in the middle of p. 65,

Step 1 - Source control #1 - Video,
Step 2 - Source control #2 - TV/CBL
Step 3 - Press Zone 2 OFF and Main ON at the same time until the remote starts flashing
Step 4 - Ignore the part about pressing NUMBER as it should not be there, rather simply enter one of the (3) Scientific Atlanta codes (004,024,025) until you find the one that works.

This should allow your Denon remote to control the SA box.back

The manual list 5 sony codes. I followed JD's instructions and still nothing works
Oh well
post #1812 of 3192 Old 03-11-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmauceri View Post

Last night it didn't happen at all. A weak signal is what I suspected, but wanted to see if anyone else experianced this problem. I'll try another HDMI cable.

My friend has the same problem and he has his comcast box hooked directly to the TV. I noticed it the other day and was wondering if it was his TV but since you have the same problem I would guess its comcast. He has a sharp lcd.
post #1813 of 3192 Old 03-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Batpig,
I have read your general answer to the OSD displaying on the screen and blanking out the vidio while the OSD is displayed. This might be preferable to what I am having to do now. Now, since I have the 2309 hooked up to D* by an optical cable and one HDMI cable from D* to HDMI input 6 on my Sony TV and the monitor out on the 2309 to HDMI input input 7 on the Sony. This means in order to see the OSD menu I have to grab the TV remote and switch inputs. In this case, since I have a HDMI splitter, be OK to run D* also to the 2309? Since the Optical is set up under the TV/Cbl button I could then setup the HDMI input under the SAT/TV button. In that way the optical option would be the wife friendly and the HDMI button would solve my problem.???? or is there a easier way?
post #1814 of 3192 Old 03-11-2009, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There are workarounds, but the question is how often do you really need to see the OSD to engage in such stuff?

Since you already have a splitter, if you do want to create a workaround, here is what I suggest:

HDMI out from D* box > SPLITTER

SPLIT 1 goes straight into the TV as you have it now, this will be the "wife friendly" TV operation, no receiver required.

SPLIT 2 goes into the AVR, and then you assign that HDMI input to the TV/CBL input name. The optical cable can be put aside, because now the HDMI will take audio + video to the receiver for surround sound. When you want to use TV + surround sound, you fire up the Denon to TV/CBL input and then switch the HDMI input on the TV to the one that is connected to the Denon AVR Monitor OUT.

In this 2nd "mode" you will be running everything through the AVR, so you will have full access to OSD.

OPTION 2 is to simply run HDMI through the receiver (no splitter) and use the HDMI CONTROL feature and try out the "pass through" function of the receiver....

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1815 of 3192 Old 03-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks BP
post #1816 of 3192 Old 03-11-2009, 03:50 PM

So, err, I'm trying to solve this but wanted to post this quickly in case anyone has a solution while I'm researching. I have an Oppo 981 player and a Denon 889.

I've configured the Oppo properly as per a few guides I've found. The problem that my receiver (not necessarily the Oppo) is only outputting 2 channel audio.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but on the right hand side it shows all channels (fl, fr, srl, srr, sub, etc), but on the left hand side it only shows FL and FR.

I've tried manually changing the input mode on the Denon (ps, is there any way to do this using the remote without opening the panel on the back and manually selecting the limited modes available?), but that hasn't worked either.

I also ensured that multi-channel is the priority, that I have 5.1 setup and all speakers set, Digital Output is Raw (also tried pcm), but I`m not sure what I`m doing wrong as yet...

ps, I`m also new to SACDs, so, err, yeah.

edit.. I`m using HDMI out and playing Pink Floyd`s Dark side of the moon SACD. And the Oppo is detecting that it`s an SACD.
post #1817 of 3192 Old 03-11-2009, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Pete, First let's make sure we' re understanding you. The Left side of the AVR display shows input, so with a SACD you are getting the 2 Ch stereo coming in? The Right side of the AVR display shows output.

post #1818 of 3192 Old 03-11-2009, 04:18 PM

Really.. I thought it opposite... I apologize for my lack of question marks as my KB switched to french somehow.
LL
post #1819 of 3192 Old 03-11-2009, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpete View Post

I apologize for my lack of question marks as my KB switched to french somehow.

That may explain why the French are so misunderstood; no interrogatives, just declaratives, tre bien!

post #1820 of 3192 Old 03-11-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

That may explain why the French are so misunderstood; no interrogatives, just declaratives, tre bien!

I attached le image! (just to be clear)

they do have question marks.. they're just virtually hidden on my english keyboard! Sacre bleu. :P

? Oh wait!! english is back. Thank god.

ps, ignore that it says "laptop", that's just what I renamed my HPD input.. but right now it's plugged in to the oppo, and I do hear it playing...
post #1821 of 3192 Old 03-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Pete, First let's make sure we' re understanding you. The Left side of the AVR display shows input, so with a SACD you are getting the 2 Ch stereo coming in? The Right side of the AVR display shows output.

Thanks for telling me what was displayed. It is so small I could not make it out even with my binoculars. The only thing I could make out was Dolby ProII Cinima Thanks
post #1822 of 3192 Old 03-11-2009, 04:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

pete - it's the SOURCE. the Denon is only receiving a 2 CH PCM input. you can confirm by pressing the "STATUS" button on the Denon to see what the input signal is.

If you have properly configured the Oppo for MPCM output from SACD, make sure you have actually selected the 5.1 audio on the SACD (some have 2 CH and 5.1 CH audio on the same disc)

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1823 of 3192 Old 03-11-2009, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpete View Post

I attached le image! , and I do hear it playing...

Yes you should be hearing it out of all 5 speakers and the sub, as you are in Surround Mode DTS NEO:6 which matrixes your 2 Ch in to 5.1 out. I am not all that familiar with your remote, but you would use Select/Enter or the Std button to switch modes, right? (Described in the Manual under "Surround Modes"-Std Playback somewhere around p44 I think. Bon?

Tre tre bien, bp is on the case!

post #1824 of 3192 Old 03-11-2009, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for telling me what was displayed. It is so small I could not make it out even with my binoculars. The only thing I could make out was Dolby ProII Cinima Thanks

General, I believe the proper instrument would be a Rommel-like monocle. Swagger stick is optional.

post #1825 of 3192 Old 03-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

General, I believe the proper instrument would be a Rommel-like monocle. Swagger stick is optional.

OK smarty pants now tell me
OPERATING PRESET COMPONENTS
1. SET da da da
2. Set la la la
3. Operate the component

3. (HOW?) (HOW ?) Push what?
post #1826 of 3192 Old 03-11-2009, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK smarty pants now tell me :

Hey I wasn't tryin'to be a smarty pants, I have lain on the floor squinting at those damned little icons myself. <-there's my monocle.
As to your question(s)?, perhaps bp has that level of intuition and expertise, but not I.

post #1827 of 3192 Old 03-11-2009, 05:51 PM

C'est bon. Le issue was le HDMI was set to le 480p. Not enough to carry all five channels.. after fix, eet work.

(pressed the HDMI button on the remote until a higher resolution was selected)

Thanks for everyone's help! (Well, yours and BPs).
post #1828 of 3192 Old 03-11-2009, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Merci pour le rapport sur votre succès. C'est très bon effectivement. Bonne nuit, justpete. Bonne nuit, bp.
<- c'est moi, sans beret.

post #1829 of 3192 Old 03-11-2009, 06:49 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 1339
Quote:

You can refer to the picture on p. 5 of your Owner's Manual which identifies each of the various lights on the Denon display. Also, keep in mind that these INPUT lights will only light up when fed a "digital" audio signal.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #1830 of 3192 Old 03-11-2009, 07:15 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 1339
Quote:

pushed 5 tv/cbl and entered a sony code as shown on table
then pushed 5 again to try to operate. Did not work....tried another code...nada

Reread my instructions. Do you see anything at all about pressing "5". Nope.

Step 1 - Source control #1 - Video,
Step 2 - Source control #2 - TV/CBL
Step 3 - Press Zone 2 OFF and Main ON at the same time until the remote starts flashing
Step 4 - Ignore the part about pressing NUMBER as it should not be there, rather simply enter one of the (3) Scientific Atlanta codes (004,024,025) until you find the one that works

(replacing the SA codes with the 5 Sony codes of course).

Quote:

Since I am looking at the back of the remote I can not see the ir flash because it is not on the back of the remote. It is on the front.

For any one else "Generally", I would just and say "You can't be serious????" ..... however, considering your difficulty with trying to plug in the optical cable, I actually believe you.

Quote:

I followed JD's instructions and still nothing works ....

Uh .. no you did not ... give it another try and you'll have better luck.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page