post #1981 of 3190 Old 03-24-2009, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 891
There are two separate issues here:

1. the fact that the tweeter of the center channel is not at ear height

2. reflections and other acoustic issues from having the center sitting flat on a wooden shelf and jammed up against the TV

Mounting it above the TV would cure #2 but not #1. It is a great solution though if you can angle it down slightly, then you will have made progress towards both 1 and 2.

Obviously we all have compromises and unless you have a dedicated HT room with an acoustically transparent screen, you will NOT have your center channel in an ideal position. Very few of us do.... you just have to find the best compromise.

Unfortunately, the most common position (sitting on top of an entertainment center jammed up against a TV) is one of the worst acoustically.

If you have enough room to raise it slightly without blocking the TV screen that would help a lot. Maybe get some rubber bumpers of two different sizes, put the big ones in front and the little ones in back, that will lift the center slightly away from the reflective surface of the ent. center and also angle the tweeter up towards ear level. And then scoot it forward a bit to give it some physical clearance from the TV sitting behind it.

Then re-run Audyssey and let us know how it goes.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 3190 Old 03-24-2009, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HI, Guys

I have the following HTS settings:

Sony BDP-S350 player -> Denon 889 -> Sharp Aquos LC37D62U, using HDMI cable to connect to each other

I'm using DVE(HD BASICS) to calibrate my TV, but I can't make the below black bar appear on the TV screen, until I changed the Sony BD Player's Video setting: YCbCr/RGB (HDMI) setting from Auto to RGB(16-235), (YCbCr4:4:4 and YCbCr4:2:2 don't work either, must be RBG(16-235) only), then I was able to see the below black bar, so I'm just wondering:

1)Denon 889 doesn't pass through BTB/WTW?
2)My HDMI cable is not v1.3 compatible?
3)My Sharp TV doesn't support BTB/WTW?

any help?

Thanks

William
post #1983 of 3190 Old 03-24-2009, 06:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

if you were able to see the "below black" bar when you changed a setting on the BDP, isn't it fairly obvious that it was the BDP (or maybe the TV) that was clipping?

HDMI 1.3 is irrelevant.

And how could the receiver be at fault? When you changed the setting it correctly passed through, right?

Just make sure all of your devices match up -- it's possible that your TV is set on some "black level extension" setting or something like that which is causing the clipping.

Check that the Denon is on YCbCr, make sure that there aren't any "black level" or "black extension" type controls enabled on the set.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1984 of 3190 Old 03-24-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

if you were able to see the "below black" bar when you changed a setting on the BDP, isn't it fairly obvious that it was the BDP (or maybe the TV) that was clipping?

HDMI 1.3 is irrelevant.

And how could the receiver be at fault? When you changed the setting it correctly passed through, right?

Just make sure all of your devices match up -- it's possible that your TV is set on some "black level extension" setting or something like that which is causing the clipping.

Check that the Denon is on YCbCr, make sure that there aren't any "black level" or "black extension" type controls enabled on the set.

I have double-checked, my Denon is on YCbCr, and someone claimed that S350 does pass through BTB/WTW when its YCbCr/RGB setting is Auto. My TV has an "Black Level expansion settings", which is turned on, but as I remember, I did turn it off once, but still didn't see the below black bar, I will try it again and will report back.

Thanks.

William
post #1985 of 3190 Old 03-24-2009, 07:38 PM

I have turned "black expansion settings" off, and still get same issue, my BDP-S350 video setting (YCrCb/RGB (HDMI): Set color space conversion for video signal from HDMI) has to be set RGB(16-235) in order to make the below black bar appear (BTB/WTW), I'm going to test it by directly connect BDP-S350 BD player to TV to see.

Could be possible that Denon 889 is doing something like "color depth upscaling" for the video signal other than RGB(16-235)?

Thanks

William
post #1986 of 3190 Old 03-24-2009, 11:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

these Denons don't even have the ability to touch HDMI video, it just passes through. I and others have confirmed with test patterns that the Denon AVR passes full-range HDMI through with no degradation or clipping.

In other words, I can assure you it is NOT the Denon. It is some combination of settings between BDP and TV.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1987 of 3190 Old 03-25-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:

these Denons don't even have the ability to touch HDMI video, it just passes through. I and others have confirmed with test patterns that the Denon AVR passes full-range HDMI through with no degradation or clipping.

In other words, I can assure you it is NOT the Denon. It is some combination of settings between BDP and TV.

Thanks much. I will test it again by connecting BDP to TV set directly, and will report back.

William
post #1988 of 3190 Old 03-25-2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:

If you are going to use the Quick Select buttons to turn it on, you need to RE MEMORIZE your Quick Selects once you have everything set up how you want it. Otherwise it will always revert back to the default settings every time you press those buttons. The Quick Selects are like a "snapshot" of your receiver's settings at a point in time, if you never re-memorize them every time you press the button it will just revert to the original "snapshot", so you need to take a new one.

See your manual for instructions on how to use and memorize the Quick Selects. If you want more info, do a search in the 1909/789 thread for "Quick Select" and use Advanced Search to look for posts by me.

If you use one of the other buttons (not the three quick selects at the top) to turn on the receiver and/or change inputs, it will remember your settings just fine.

10-4 Thanks
post #1989 of 3190 Old 03-25-2009, 09:18 AM

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

I plugged my hdmi cable from my verizon fios box to the HDP hdmi input. After about 15 seconds the lcd screen turns completely green, but I still hear the audio. I cannot do or see anything on the screen until I turn to another source and turn back. When I plug the cable box into the V.AUX hdmi input it works fine. Does anyone know what is wrong with my HDP input? Should I not be using that input for my cable box? If there is something wrong with my Denon AVR-2309CI receiver, I need to return it. I would prefer to have all four hdmi inputs working properly.

Thanks!
post #1990 of 3190 Old 03-25-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:

Yes. You are right, still get the same issue when the BDP-S350 directly connect to my TV set. It looked like that my TV set has the issue (its an old model, LC37D62U), clipping all the video signal except the RGB(16-235) one.

Thanks for the help

William
post #1991 of 3190 Old 03-25-2009, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdion View Post

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

I plugged my hdmi cable from my verizon fios box to the HDP hdmi input. After about 15 seconds the lcd screen turns completely green, but I still hear the audio. I cannot do or see anything on the screen until I turn to another source and turn back. When I plug the cable box into the V.AUX hdmi input it works fine. Does anyone know what is wrong with my HDP input? Should I not be using that input for my cable box? If there is something wrong with my Denon AVR-2309CI receiver, I need to return it. I would prefer to have all four hdmi inputs working properly.

Thanks!

Look under the secret panel behind a door on the back of the remote (DVD/HDP button)
post #1992 of 3190 Old 03-30-2009, 09:08 AM

I've had my Quintet III and sub hooked up for over a week and been listening to strereo music and CD's plus playing 360 in surround. All I can say is for the money and the setup along with the design of my living area which doubles as a theatre, I can't be more happier. This receiver is awesome and I really getting into all the features.
The only thing that I don't like is that Zone 2 cannot play on a different tuner channel. I'm guessing that only a different source can be played in the 2 different areas at the same time. It's not that big of a problem, cause I plan to be adding a XM home dock soon for my Roady XT.

Altough it's not professionally calibrated, It truely sounds awesome with the Klipsch 5.1 system.
post #1993 of 3190 Old 03-30-2009, 04:11 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaskiller73 View Post

The only thing that I don't like is that Zone 2 cannot play on a different tuner channel. I'm guessing that only a different source can be played in the 2 different areas at the same time. It's not that big of a problem, cause I plan to be adding a XM home dock soon for my Roady XT.

Correct. Zone 2 can play either the "same" source that is playing on the main zone or an independent source.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #1994 of 3190 Old 03-30-2009, 07:13 PM

quick question to anyone that can help.

i have a Wii connected to the 889 with component cables and the 889 connected to the TV with HDMI and component. how do i get the 889 to output through the component and not the HDMI when using the Wii?
480p looks worse than 480i when using HDMI. and not as good when i just connect the Wii directly to the tv with components.

thanks for any help.
post #1995 of 3190 Old 03-30-2009, 07:29 PM
585-645-1006

AFAIK both the HDMI and component output jacks are both ON, however, you make the actual input selection at your TV so all you have to do is select the Component Input from your TV menu. However, try setting the HDMI i/p scaler setting to OFF and see if that works if you want to use the HDMI out.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #1996 of 3190 Old 03-30-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

AFAIK both the HDMI and component output jacks are both ON, however, you make the actual input selection at your TV so all you have to do is select the Component Input from your TV menu. However, try setting the HDMI i/p scaler setting to OFF and see if that works if you want to use the HDMI out.

i tried just selecting the component input on the tv (Sharp 52d64u) and i don't get any video. will try the i/p scaler off.

thanks jd.
post #1997 of 3190 Old 03-30-2009, 07:49 PM

just tried it with the i/p scaler off and it made it worse.
haha. the wife is telling me right now that she has to do some Wii fit... well she can wait until i figure this out. i'm putting my foot down...well until she tells me otherwise.
post #1998 of 3190 Old 03-30-2009, 07:59 PM
585-645-1006

I believe that 480p through component should work fine, however, 480i must be output to the TV via either S-video or composite rather than component. Also, unplug the HDMI cable to ensure it's not causing any conflicts while you are trying to get the alternate to work.

post #1999 of 3190 Old 03-30-2009, 08:58 PM

it wasn't showing on the component input on the tv, just the HDMI so i turned the tv off before i was about to smash my head on the wall, but decided to try again and sure enough i finally got video through component! WOO HOo! but the PQ was still blah.

well i just adjusted the TV pic setting and now everything is good. i lost 3 damn hours! o' well.

thanks jd for the help.
post #2000 of 3190 Old 03-30-2009, 11:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

the video outputs are always active so the problem must lie elsewhere.

I have both an HDMI and a component connection to my TV (both with my current 789 and the older 888). I can take a component 480i input -- say from a cable box -- and flip my TV between the component input and the HDMI input and both will show no problem. I have done this specifically, for example when testing the Denon scaling vs. the TV scaling, and it works without a hitch. So something else was going on.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #2001 of 3190 Old 03-31-2009, 08:14 PM

Quick question! How exactly do you switch between the different Dynamic volume modes? Can you do it on the fly? I'm watching a movie and the sound is awesome, but the base is way too loud for my apartment, compared to the dialogue. I set up the system using Batpig's instructions a couple months ago, but haven't watched many Blu-Ray's yet. I saw a post saying to go to the "Parameter" menu, but I'm not sure how to get there... please help.
post #2002 of 3190 Old 03-31-2009, 08:24 PM

n/m - I figured it out.
post #2003 of 3190 Old 04-03-2009, 09:02 AM

Hey guys did a search but didn't find to much about it. I have two questions.

1. I figured there would be a connector in the box for an ipod but of course there isn't. So to control the ipod from the reciever do I need to purchase an ipod dock?

2. I want to use the 2nd zone for the ipod so I can put speakers in my garage when I do work out there. And I want to just keep the second remote out there. Is tehre something I need to buy to extend an IR piece out there so I can just keep the speakers and remote there and no other equipment?
post #2004 of 3190 Old 04-03-2009, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

FYI - sometimes searching the 1909 thread will get you more results, as there is way more activity over there.

to answer:

1) to control the ipod from the receiver you need a Denon-branded ipod dock, yes. There are many other options for getting music from the ipod to your stereo, however, from super cheap (a 3.5mm>stereoRCA cable) and on up.

2) yes, you will need some sort of hard-wired IR solution. but if you will be running speaker wire out there anyway a wired solution isn't a big inconvenience. Denon sells their own room-to-room IR extender, but there are certainly cheaper 3rd-party options that will take the IR signal to the Denon (you don't even need to use a "blaster" AFAIK, you can plug directly into the remote IN jack on the Denon) . Search the 1909 thread as this has come up a few times.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #2005 of 3190 Old 04-03-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:

FYI - sometimes searching the 1909 thread will get you more results, as there is way more activity over there.

to answer:

1) to control the ipod from the receiver you need a Denon-branded ipod dock, yes. There are many other options for getting music from the ipod to your stereo, however, from super cheap (a 3.5mm>stereoRCA cable) and on up.

2) yes, you will need some sort of hard-wired IR solution. but if you will be running speaker wire out there anyway a wired solution isn't a big inconvenience. Denon sells their own room-to-room IR extender, but there are certainly cheaper 3rd-party options that will take the IR signal to the Denon (you don't even need to use a "blaster" AFAIK, you can plug directly into the remote IN jack on the Denon) . Search the 1909 thread as this has come up a few times.

Ah didn't realize there were other threads.

I want to use the dock so that I can use the remote when I'm in the garage to change the song on my ipod. I'm assuming that having the dock connected to the receiver will allow me to change the song from the garage.

And yea thats what I was thinking would be to get the extender and plug it into the remote-in jack.
post #2006 of 3190 Old 04-04-2009, 04:52 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven8795 View Post

Ah didn't realize there were other threads.

Generallee - this is why I suggested you post a summary on this thread of the questions/answer you have asked on the 1909 thread, as many 2309 owners don't realize many more questions are asked on the 1909 thread that also apply to the 2309 as well.

For you 2309 owners/lurkers - virtually EVERY question asked in the 1909 thread applies to the 2309. The 1909 is the most popular AVR of the Denon 2009 series so searching both threads will generally get your answer.

post #2007 of 3190 Old 04-04-2009, 01:39 PM

hi guys. quick question - might be pretty silly. in VCR/IPOD mode, if i use the selector knob, i can select different sound settings such as Jazz, 5 CH stereo, video game, etc. I am trying this using the < and > on the remote, but it does not work. The manual doesn't help much. The buttons do work when i am changing the channel volume, so it can't be non functional buttons. Any hints?
post #2008 of 3190 Old 04-04-2009, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
Mokura, p44 of manual-secret door on back of remote simu button

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #2009 of 3190 Old 04-04-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Mokura, p44 of manual-secret door on back of remote simu button

got it! thanks buddy!
post #2010 of 3190 Old 04-04-2009, 05:17 PM

Hi guys,

I have the following two issues:
1) Zone 1 & Zone 2 seem to be out of synch. For example, putting tuner on both channels seems to have a very small delay.. not really THAT noticeable, but still would like to know if I can fix that
2) I cannot get my HTPC to play on Zone 2!! I get it to play in 5.1 in the main zone, but nothing gets outputted in Zone 2. I am wondering if this has anything to do with using an HDMI cable as input for this source. Is there a certain setting that I need to set?

Any advice would be great

Thanks!!!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page