Forum Jump: 

post #2521 of 3190 Old 09-05-2009, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

yes, what sources are you using? how are they connected?

when you press the STATUS button on the unit, what does the display tell you the input signal format is?

The only sources I have connected is my 52" Sharp flatscreen connected via HDMI monitor out and my HD Cable box also hooked up into HDP via HDMI .

The following is everything when you press the status button:

Status - pressing
1 - Sig.: PCM FS 48khz
2 - Format: 2/0/.0
3 - HDMI moni info. 480i/p1080i720p
4 - HDMI moni info. 1080p
5 - zone 2 source zone 2 power off
6 - multEQ audyssey
7 - dynamic EQ on
8 - dynamic vol on setting:midnight
9 - restorer: off
10 - *tone tonecontrol off
11-15 are speaker db
16 - *surr. parameter mode pl
17 - * surr. parameter cinema eq off

Had to take out colons due to emoticons.

Murphy's New Law --
"If it doesn't fit, force it.
If it breaks it was meant to"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 3190 Old 09-05-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

A bit more info would help. Direct mode is doing what it's supposed to providing SW is OFF. Are you getting all 5 speakers with a DD 5.1 signal?

I hate to sound like a freaking idiot (I have had 2 other Denons - 3300 and currently using the 5800 in my HT and have had NO issues) but this has got me stumped.

5.1 signal? I assume I am getting a 5.1 signal as it is showing up on the Denon display as all 5 speakers plus the sub lit up. I am not getting it to the speakers though.

Murphy's New Law --
post #2523 of 3190 Old 09-05-2009, 06:47 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
Based on what you posted for the Status ... you're receiving a PCM 2.0 signal and the surround mode is DD PLII which should be displaying only 2 speaker icons on the left (input) and 6 speaker icons on the right side (output). You should set your HD Cable box to turn Dolby Digital ON or on "Pass Through" depending on the type box you are using to get the better audio from the HD channels. Try doing the Reset the Microprocessor procedure if you haven't already and see if that solves the problem.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #2524 of 3190 Old 09-06-2009, 02:27 PM

Smoothie -- you are SMOOTH!!!

Went into the menu and you were correct. The box was setup incorrectly!!! Changed it to DD and everything is GREAT!!!

Many thanks for your time and patience!!!

Murphy's New Law --
post #2525 of 3190 Old 09-06-2009, 02:34 PM
585-645-1006

Hmm .. that solves the box problem, but if I understood you correctly ... not the AVR problem. Even when playing a PCM 2.0 signal from the box, if you have the AVR in DD/DD PLII mode, it should still play audio via all 5.1 speakers. Change the box to a SD channel and what is the result?

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #2526 of 3190 Old 09-06-2009, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 921
Quote:

Even when playing a PCM 2.0 signal from the box, if you have the AVR in DD/DD PLII mode, it should still play audio via all 5.1 speakers.

the one exception would be if the "Stereo" content was actually dual mono -- this happens sometimes when I listen to, say, NPR from the digital radio channels on the cable box. Both channels are identical (mono) and so a "Cinema" matrix process like PLII -- which extracts correlated info form the L/R channels -- collapses 100% of the content to the center channel. I switch it to PLII Music mode when this happens, as Music mode doesn't subtract the extracted center channel info from the L/R channels, so it just "spreads" over the front three channels.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #2527 of 3190 Old 09-06-2009, 05:38 PM

My family is currently watching The Sound of Music on SD (ABC Family). The left display has has 2 channel, however it is being displaced to all 5 speakers.

Is this correct? Or do I need to make some changes?

Thanks!

Murphy's New Law --
post #2528 of 3190 Old 09-06-2009, 05:42 PM
585-645-1006

It's correct. It means that DD PLII is simulating the surround channels correctly. You're good to go! Enjoy!

post #2529 of 3190 Old 09-06-2009, 06:06 PM

I really appreciate your help!

Murphy's New Law --
post #2530 of 3190 Old 09-14-2009, 12:00 PM

I'm having an issue with my tv losing it's signal...I'm not sure if its the tv, cable company or the reciever ? Wondering if there is a known issue with the reciever dropping the signal ? I was told it was probally a weak signal from the cable company.....

thx Tim
post #2531 of 3190 Old 09-14-2009, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00hawk#140 View Post

I'm having an issue with my tv losing it's signal...I'm not sure if its the tv, cable company or the reciever ? Wondering if there is a known issue with the reciever dropping the signal ? I was told it was probally a weak signal from the cable company.....
thx Tim

How are you connected from cable box to AVR to TV? Have you tried connecting directly to the TV? Called the cable co?

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #2532 of 3190 Old 09-15-2009, 09:00 AM

I run a hdmi from cable box to AVR then hdmi to tv...... I haven't called the cable company yet....... I haven't been on the forum for awhile and just wondered if there was a new "issue" with the denon I've never read about. Thought maybe the Denon might be weakening the signal or losing it once in awhile ??

thx Tim
post #2533 of 3190 Old 09-15-2009, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00hawk#140 View Post

I run a hdmi from cable box to AVR then hdmi to tv...... I haven't called the cable company yet....... I haven't been on the forum for awhile and just wondered if there was a new "issue" with the denon I've never read about. Thought maybe the Denon might be weakening the signal or losing it once in awhile ?? thx Tim

No, no new "issues" and the Denon does not "weaken" the signal, but like all AVR's, HDMI switchers, etc., it can contribute to HDMI handshake issues when in a chain of HDMI connections. Was it working properly before? If so, what did you change? Describe in more detail exactly what is seen & heard. It is likely HDMI handshake & is easily remedied.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #2534 of 3190 Old 09-15-2009, 08:35 PM

Hello,

Have had the Denon 2309ci for a year now and love it. Just got a Panasonic Plasma tc-p50s1.

Do I need to change my Video Settings on each Source and/or HDMI settings?

Video:
Convert - on
i/p Scale - A-H
Resolution - 1080p Changed from Auto
Progressive Mode - Auto
Aspect - Full

HDMI:
Color Space - YCbCr
RGB Range - Normal
Auto Lipsync - On
HDMI Audio Out - AMP
HDMI Conrol - Off
Power Off Control - On

Thanks
post #2535 of 3190 Old 09-15-2009, 10:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

the second list (HDMI settings) are global and can basically be left at the default values unless you have problems or want to accomplish something specific. no reason to touch that.

the first list (Video settings) are INPUT SPECIFIC and can be adjusted as needed for each source. I describe their function in my setup guide:
http://batpigworld.com/setup.html#hdmi_setup

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #2536 of 3190 Old 09-18-2009, 10:43 PM

I have a Harmony 550. I don't think it's the problem. However it supposed to know the discreet codes for input. My problem is, when I switch on the AVR-889 from the remote, it always jumps to TV/SAT input from whatever task I choose.

On my inputs I have:

HDR = DirecTV (HDMI)
TV/SAT = Sony DVD (Analog)
V.AUX = Win7 MCE (HDMI)
DVD = Philips Upscale DVD (HDMI)
VCR = Wii (Analog)

When everything is off, I use the remote and activate the task of Watch DirecTV: it turns on the Denon, TV, Sat - switches to DirecTV, then switches to Sony DVD. The Sony DVD player isn't on so I get a blank screen. If I press the help button, the remote fixes the issue.

Later, when everything is off, I use the remote to go to Watch MCE, it turns on the Denon, TV then switches to Win MCE, then switches back to Sony DVD.

If everything is on and I go from MCE to DirecTV or vis versa, it all works okay without this auto switching to Sony DVD. The problem shows up only form the off/standby situation.

I have even programed an additional 2 second delay at the end of the sequence and then an additional discreet switch to the desired input, which seems to have no effect.

Anyone have and clues or ideas what's going on?

The Kids, Wife, Grandparents are confused. I can manage with the help button.

Dan
post #2537 of 3190 Old 09-19-2009, 12:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

turn off HDMI-CEC in your TV, the "mysteriously magical input switching to the TV/CBL input" is caused by the TV's HDMI Control features.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #2538 of 3190 Old 09-19-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:

turn off HDMI-CEC in your TV, the "mysteriously magical input switching to the TV/CBL input" is caused by the TV's HDMI Control features.

That darn HDMI-CEC turned it's self on again. I had to put the TV in the corner for a time out.

Yeah that seems to be the solution.

So this little thing that is supposed to make life easier seems to have made life more complicated. What will they invent next? Self destruction for depressed home electronics?
post #2539 of 3190 Old 09-22-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:

1. yes, time for a new sub!! you CAN hook up a passive sub using speaker wire but Audyssey will not function properly; modern receivers are designed for a mono RCA connection to a powered sub.

until i purchase new speakers, how does one go about setting this up?
post #2540 of 3190 Old 09-22-2009, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

the only way AFAIK to hook up a passive subwoofer is with speaker wire.

option 1 -- if the SW has speaker wire inputs and outputs, you would run speaker wire from FRONT L/R to the subwoofer's inputs, and then connect the actual front L/R speakers to the outputs. (e.g. "daisy chaining" the sub/speakers with the sub in-line)

option 2 -- if the SW has inputs but NO outputs, you would run two sets of wires from FRONT L/R; one pair of wires would run to your front speakers, the other pair would run to the subwoofer. It can make wiring easier if you use A+B front speakers (e.g. hook the speakers to FRONT A and the subwoofer to FRONT B and then run the receiver in "A+B" mode).

In both of these situations, the AVR will not "know" you have a subwoofer, it will "see" the subwoofer+speakers as a combined unit and thus you will end up with LARGE front speakers and NO subwoofer in the setup menu. You will want to play around beforehand with the crossover knob and gain knob (if available) on the subwoofer to try and get a good blend of freq. response before you re-run Audyssey.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #2541 of 3190 Old 09-22-2009, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the only way AFAIK to hook up a passive subwoofer is with speaker wire.

The OP could also use a secondary AVR or amplifier. I realize his old one died, but if money is an issue, an inexpensive secondary AVR or amp may be an interim step until a new sub can be purchased. Just a thought.
post #2542 of 3190 Old 10-01-2009, 04:14 AM
585-645-1006

In the 1909 thread, Dr_Larry_Pepper identified an issue with MULT EQ which you can read about in his dedicated thread on the issue here.

This issue impacts all 2009 models 2309 and below although only impacts the early mfr units prior to roughly Nov 2008. For those of you with a 2309 (not 889), if your serial number is xxxxx15241 or lower (check by either looking at the plate on the back of the AVR or doing the procedure below). If your 2309 serial number is in the affected group, click on the link in my sig and provide me with a non gmail email address and I will provide the update for you to install directly. I also provide additional information on how the install is completed if you follow the links in that post to another post in the 2808 thread.

How to find the Serial Number or Main Firmware Version number:
a. Place the 2309 into Standby.
b. Press the small ON/OFF button and turn the 2309 all the way OFF
c. While pressing the DYN VOL and VIDEO SELECT buttons on the front panel, press the smaller power ON/OFF button to place the 2309 in Standby
d. Release the DYN VOL and VIDEO SELECT buttons
e. Press the large On/Standby button and power up the 2309
f. Let the 2309 fully power up
g. Each time the STATUS button is pressed it will cycle through first the serial number, then the Main Firmware version number followed by the sub firmware version numbers.
h. To get out of this mode, simply turn the AVR completely OFF (not in Standby).

NOTE: If you have an 889 and believe this issue impacts your unit, contact the Denon Help desk directly for authorization to ship it to a Denon Authorized repair center nearest you to have the update installed (as you do not have a RS-232 jack to install the fix yourself).

post #2543 of 3190 Old 10-01-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:

In the 1909 thread, Dr_Larry_Pepper identified an issue with MULT EQ which you can read about in his dedicated thread on the issue here.

This issue impacts all 2009 models 2309 and below although only impacts the early mfr units prior to roughly Nov 2008. For those of you with a 2309 (not 889), if your serial number is xxxxx15241 or lower (check by either looking at the plate on the back of the AVR or by turning the 2309 ON, then all the way OFF, not in Standby , then while pressing the STATUS and RETURN keys on the front panel, turn on the 2309, then each time the STATUS button is pressed it will cycle through the serial number along with the various firmware version numbers, to get out of this mode simply turn the AVR completely OFF again). If your 2309 serial number is in the affected group, click on the link in my sig and I will provide the update for you to install directly.

If you have an 889 and believe this issue impacts your unit, contact Denon directly for authorization to ship it to a Denon Authorized repair center nearest you to have the update installed.

I am sure I have the Muli Eq problem explained in the dedicated thread, but I can't get the SN to display for verification. I tried running through the sequence, power on, status, return buttons, many times with no luck. I bought the 2309 on line from a nonauthorized dealer so it has a non Denon SN. I bought it just before Xmas so it fits the time line. Am I doing something wrong when trying to display the SN?

tmoss
post #2544 of 3190 Old 10-01-2009, 08:42 PM
585-645-1006

I edited my post #2542 to be more clear about the procedure. Give it another try.

post #2545 of 3190 Old 10-02-2009, 03:34 AM

Quote:

I edited my post #2542 to be more clear about the procedure. Give it another try.

I press the small power button when the receiver is in standby to power off. I then hold down the return and status and press the small power button. The standby red light around the big button comes on. While still holding the return and status I press the large button again and nothing happens. It stays in standby. If I powerdown with the small button when recever is on and follow the same sequence as above. The receiver just turns on in the normal mode.

tmoss
post #2546 of 3190 Old 10-02-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmauceri View Post

I press the small power button when the receiver is in standby to power off. I then hold down the return and status and press the small power button. The standby red light around the big button comes on. While still holding the return and status I press the large button again and nothing happens. It stays in standby. If I powerdown with the small button when recever is on and follow the same sequence as above. The receiver just turns on in the normal mode.

I have found you need to hold down "Dyn Vol and Video Select (RDS)" and not "Return and Status". For the 2309 anyway.

tmoss
post #2547 of 3190 Old 10-02-2009, 04:07 PM
585-645-1006

Thanks for clarification. Apparently it's only the upper level models that use the STATUS and RETURN keys. I updated my post again.

post #2548 of 3190 Old 10-02-2009, 05:08 PM

Are the lower models able to display the firmware version(s) like this also? Or is it only those with an RS-232 port?

BTW, can you update your instructions post over in the dedicated thread too?
post #2549 of 3190 Old 10-02-2009, 07:52 PM
585-645-1006

Done. Not really sure regarding whether the same buttons are pressed on other models. Give it a try on your 1909 when it's returned to you and let me know. Thanks.

post #2550 of 3190 Old 10-03-2009, 10:36 AM

I loaded the IPOD/Mult-Eq Fix for my 2309 this morning. The firmware fix provided by jdSmoothie ran flawlessly. The installation deleted my Audyssey settings, or I think they did. There was no Audio with Audyssey on, only with it off, even though my Audyssey settings were still displayed on the OSD. I reran Audyssey, I was going to do it anyway, And all is well. Audyssey Values nearly Identical to the previous set. I did a few measurements before and after the installation and here are the results.

S/N 8101512796

Before, After

Main Ver 00.87, Ver 00.90
Dsp1 Ver 45.41, Ver 45.43

Using the Avia Disk DD 5.1 I did some measurements with An SPL meter on a tripod, ear height, at my center seat location. I did measurements with Audyssey on with Dyn Eq on, Audyssey on with Dyn Eq off and Audyssey off. For Bitsream and LPCM from My Oppo BD-83. I used the SW test tone that alternates with the center channel. AVR volume -7.5. I averaged the analog SPL readings by eye. I would say they are good to (+ or -) 0.5 dB

Before Firmware fix

Audy On Dyn EQ on
SW (dB), Center (dB)
Bitstream +5, -4
LPCM 0, -4

Audy On Dyn EQ Off
SW (dB), Center (dB)
Bitstream +3, -4
LPCM -2, -4

Audy Off
SW (dB) Center (dB)
Bitstream -4, -4
LPCM -4, -4

After Firmware fix

Audy On Dyn EQ on

SW (dB), Center (dB)
Bitstream 0, -4
LPCM 0, -4

Audy On Dyn EQ Off
SW (dB), Center (dB)
Bitstream -2, -4
LPCM -2, -4

Audy Off
SW (dB), Center (dB)
Bitstream -4, -4
LPCM -4, -4

End result Booming overblown bass is gone.

tmoss
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page