*Official* Denon AVR 2309CI/889 Thread - Page 89 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2641 of 3197 Old 12-25-2009, 08:33 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1991 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
The 2309 cannot do any video processing on HDMI video so running it straight to your TV does not change the picture quality. Audio wise, the best the DVR can do (and that's only if it's an "HD" DVR) is DD 5.1 which can be sent over either optical or coax as well as HDMI. This configuration also gains you an extra HDMI jack on the 2309 for another component that really benefits from it's use (which the cable box does not).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2642 of 3197 Old 12-28-2009, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok I am totally new to this forum. i have the 2309 and have a PS3, Xbox 360, a Denon DVD-1740 and the new DCX-3400 cable box all hooked up to it via HDMI and then HDMI out to my Samsung DLP model HLT5076SX/XXA. The PS3 is hooked uo to the VCR/Ipod location, the Xbox 360 goes to the V. AUX, the Cable box goes to HDP location and the DVD goes to DVD. my problem right now is that the PS3 displays on my 2309 Multi CH in but when i go to the configuration in the PS3 the multi channel is off. Why is it doing this? when i try to turn on the Audyssey the light on the 2309 stays orange/red instead of green. can someone tell me what i have done wrong?? Plus, depending on what I am doing that directly reflects what Dolby mode i can go to. i thought i would be able to select any mode to make sound quality better. What do i need to change and where do i start? i play games through PS3 and alot through th X360. i watch DVD's through DVD player and Blu Ray's through PS3. i watch a ton of TV throught the DCX-3400 (99% of which is on HD channels only). i want this thing to blow my socks off with audio and video. what ever you can do to help would be greatly appreciated.
post #2643 of 3197 Old 12-28-2009, 02:22 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by afish70 View Post

... but when i go to the configuration in the PS3 the multi channel is off. Why is it doing this? when i try to turn on the Audyssey the light on the 2309 stays orange/red instead of green. can someone tell me what i have done wrong?? Plus, depending on what I am doing that directly reflects what Dolby mode i can go to. i thought i would be able to select any mode to make sound quality better. What do i need to change and where do i start?

If the Denon display is reading MULT CH IN it means the PS3 is decoding the HD audio (which unless you have the PS3 Slim is the only option you can get). The Audyssey light turns "red" when Dyn VOL is OFF. When you turn it ON, the light will turn "green." You have two Dolby modes, either DD or DD PLII for stereo sources.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #2644 of 3197 Old 12-30-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

You've got a couple ways to accomplish what you're after .... the easiest being simply to connect the HDMI cable from the DVR to the TV along with an optical/coax cable from the DVR to the 2309 for when you want to use the surround speakers. That way the wife can turn on the TV without having to turn on the 2309 at all.

The other way, is using HDMI Control set to ON as you are doing now in order to pass the TV through while the 2309 is in Standby. In order for this to work the TV source must always be the last source selected before the 2309 is placed into Standby. So just program the steps into the Harmony to select the TV source prior to placing it in Standby and you should be good to go.

I went with HDMI from box to TV and optical from box to 2309.

Thanks again!

Harmony will still turn on the 2309 when watch TV is selected if the last activity was going through the 2309/PS3. Is this just something I have to live with?
post #2645 of 3197 Old 12-30-2009, 06:14 PM
585-645-1006

Certainly not. Turn HDMI Control on the 2309 to OFF and that may resolve the 2309 from coming ON, otherwise you may have to just reprogram the Harmony to have it do what you want.

post #2646 of 3197 Old 12-31-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:

Certainly not. Turn HDMI Control on the 2309 to OFF and that may resolve the 2309 from coming ON, otherwise you may have to just reprogram the Harmony to have it do what you want.

I did turn the HDMI off for the TV....I think I need to adjust the harmony....which leads me to another question.

Anyone with a PS3 having this issue:
-Sometimes when I select to watch a blu, it turns the 2309 to just 2 channel stero instead of multi channel in. Could this be a result of the order I have them turning on or the speed in between commands?

For example, if I increased the time between the PS3 turning on and the 2309, or the order of the TV, PS3 and 2309, would that solve the issue?
post #2647 of 3197 Old 12-31-2009, 08:07 AM
585-645-1006

Most likely not. A BD will have multiple audio formats on it and although the movie itself will generally be DD/DTS 5.1 or a DD/DTS HD format, the other features (previews, director interviews, deleted scenes, etc.) are usually in 2.0. Apparently you have the Denon set up to play 2.0 audio in STEREO mode, so when the PS3 sends a 2.0 signal that's what you'll get. When it sends PCM 5.1 you'll get MULT CH IN.

Looking back at your older posts, looks like you were having a similar problem last May. Have you reset the PS3 while connected to the 2309 or did you just move the connection from the TV to the 2309? If the latter, then reset the PS3. Hold down the Power On button on the PS3 itself a few seconds longer and let it sync with the 2309.

post #2648 of 3197 Old 12-31-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:

Most likely not. A BD will have multiple audio formats on it and although the movie itself will generally be DD/DTS 5.1 or a DD/DTS HD format, the other features (previews, director interviews, deleted scenes, etc.) are usually in 2.0. Apparently you have the Denon set up to play 2.0 audio in STEREO mode, so when the PS3 sends a 2.0 signal that's what you'll get. When it sends PCM 5.1 you'll get MULT CH IN.

Looking back at your older posts, looks like you were having a similar problem last May. Have you reset the PS3 while connected to the 2309 or did you just move the connection from the TV to the 2309? If the latter, then reset the PS3. Hold down the Power On button on the PS3 itself a few seconds longer and let it sync with the 2309.

I have noticed in the past that on the menu screen it will be 2 Ch and then switch to multi....last night it didn't switch when the movie started and I had to turn off and then back on to make it change to multi.

I did not reset the PS3 after moving connections, I will do that now. Should the 2309 be on during the reset, or is standby ok?
post #2649 of 3197 Old 12-31-2009, 09:37 AM
585-645-1006

On.

post #2650 of 3197 Old 12-31-2009, 10:40 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

as long as you aren't using HDMI it should work just fine, I use this feature all the time.

1. select the AUDIO source FIRST
2. hit the Video Select button repeatedly until the display indicates you are on the desired video source (i.e. TV/CBL)

That's pretty much all there is to it! If that's not working then there is something simple that's going wrong....

Try also manually assigning the "TV/CBL" (or whatever you are using) video source to the "Tuner" input in the input setup menu. Go to INPUT SETUP > VIDEO (make sure to select "Tuner" at the top) and set the Video Select to whatever you want. This may "force" it to work.

Thanks for the advice and for the great site batpig. I am having this exact problem, and I have followed all of your advice.

To confirm:

I have my Tivo attached with Component and Optical audio. Assigned to the "Tv/Cable" input.

I go to "Tuner" and press video select and get no picture. I do see the volume and freq. display just no video.

I have also gone into the video setup for the tuner input and made sure that it was set to "TV/Cable".

Any other ideas?
post #2651 of 3197 Old 12-31-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:

On.

Thanks again JD, I've reset the PS3. I thought in the past it was the order I was turning them on to make it not recognize the multi ch as it has not been happeing since the summer.

While looking at the 2309 settings I do see where it's set to Analog-2CH.
post #2652 of 3197 Old 01-04-2010, 03:06 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

You've got a couple ways to accomplish what you're after .... the easiest being simply to connect the HDMI cable from the DVR to the TV along with an optical/coax cable from the DVR to the 2309 for when you want to use the surround speakers. That way the wife can turn on the TV without having to turn on the 2309 at all.

The other way, is using HDMI Control set to ON as you are doing now in order to pass the TV through while the 2309 is in Standby. In order for this to work the TV source must always be the last source selected before the 2309 is placed into Standby. So just program the steps into the Harmony to select the TV source prior to placing it in Standby and you should be good to go.

So - how do you program the steps in the harmony remote prior to placing it in Standby? I have a Harmony One and the Off button turns all devices off that were put on from the Activity.
post #2653 of 3197 Old 01-04-2010, 03:17 PM
585-645-1006

I would imagine (as I don't own a Harmony) you could create a separate activity button that first changed to the DVR and then as the last step activated the OFF button to turn off all components (this is what I do with my universal remote). This would then become your new defacto OFF button.

post #2654 of 3197 Old 01-05-2010, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Hi all,
I've had this receiver exactly one year. Its always had problems talking to my TV via HDMI (using TWC HD DVR and PS3 in through AVR to TV-Sony 50XBR1). My TV flicks like its trying to receive the signal and my AVR flashes the speaker setup off and on as the TV flashes, sometimes I get intermittent audio. When I disconnect the HDMI and go straight to the TV, sometimes it sees it sometimes it doesn't (I can always unhook the TV and when I turn it back on it acquires the signal if hooked directly to the source but usually not from the AVR). I recently reviewed an Onkyo HTiB and the Onkyo receiver sync'd up perfectly every time to the TV, the problems only returned when I reintroduced the Denon. I hate to say it but its definitely the receiver (and maybe partially my TV needs a stronger HDMI signal?). I'm ordering a small signal booster from Monoprice, anyone have any other ideas? I'm also using a 90-degree adaptor on both ends of the HDMI cable, is this a possibility for signal strength loss?

Pls. PM me if you've had this exact prob. and how you fixed it.

Thanks,
Cory
post #2655 of 3197 Old 01-05-2010, 09:14 AM
585-645-1006

This procedure has been mentioned before; however, bears repeating when HDMI handshake issues seem to be the cause of your frustration (keeping in mind that it doesn't always work, but certainly worth trying):

1. While all HDMI devices are on, disconnect HDMI cable from TV
2. Turn off power to all devices (not in standby)
3. Disconnect all HDMI feeds at both ends [NOTE where they go back]
4. Wait 2 minutes
5. Reconnect all HDMI cables
6. Apply power to TV, then AVR, then HDMI video source

If that doesn't work, try swapping out or replacing the HDMI to the TV as it may be bad.

post #2656 of 3197 Old 01-05-2010, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 1593
Quote:
Originally Posted by razthetaz View Post

So - how do you program the steps in the harmony remote prior to placing it in Standby? I have a Harmony One and the Off button turns all devices off that were put on from the Activity.

the easiest way to accomplish what you are trying to do is to add an "Input XXX" command to the end of each Activity.

In the setup for any Activity there is a screen where you can select "add more options for control of devices" or something like that. Then, you see a detailed list of commands that take place at the beginning and end of the Activity.

You can add whatever command you want to the exit sequence of the Activity, so if (for example) your cable box is on the SAT/CBL input you can add an "Input SAT/CBL" command to the end of every Activity, so you know when you power off from any Activity the final step before the receiver shuts down is to have the receiver set to Input SAT/CBL.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #2657 of 3197 Old 01-06-2010, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This procedure has been mentioned before; however, bears repeating when HDMI handshake issues seem to be the cause of your frustration (keeping in mind that it doesn't always work, but certainly worth trying):

4. Wait 2 minutes

This sounds like vudoo...should I add some batwing while I do it? I'm thinking about hooking my jumper cables up to it and seeing if that fixes anything (except my frustration). How can an "inferior" receiver like a low level Onkyo not have problems and this one does?
post #2658 of 3197 Old 01-06-2010, 08:03 AM
585-645-1006

HDCP is a tricky spec ... not all components sync up with each other as well as we would like them too (Sony XBRs are known to have issues with Denon AVRs). Luckily there are usually work arounds for many handshake issues including yours which is simply to connect the HDMI from the DVR to the TV with optical from the DVR to the AVR as well. Unless you're running an HDMI cable out to the XBR at a great length (>25'), most likely a booster isn't going to solve your problem.

post #2659 of 3197 Old 01-06-2010, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

This sounds like vudoo...should I add some batwing while I do it?...

No, that will never work. Now batpigwing might do it...

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #2660 of 3197 Old 01-08-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razthetaz View Post

Mine was fixed by JD's suggestion with the optical cable instead of HDMI straight to the 2309 from the DVR.

My small issue now is still if I watch a DVD, shut everything down and then power on TV (TV and DVR only), it also powers on the 2309. Not a big deal, however, since the 2309 is not in the sequence it has to be powered down manually.

The Harmony One also has trouble learning to switch from HDMI 1 to 2 on my TV after I update something on the remote....but I guess that's what the help button is for!
post #2661 of 3197 Old 01-08-2010, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 137
tdog4871
Quote:

My small issue now is still if I watch a DVD, shut everything down and then power on TV (TV and DVR only), it also powers on the 2309. Not a big deal, however, since the 2309 is not in the sequence it has to be powered down manually.

Go into your Tv setting and turn HDMI-CEC to "OFF" (Sony is BRAVIA Theatre Sync, Panasonic is Viera Link, Samsung is Anynet+, Pioneer is KURO Link)
post #2662 of 3197 Old 01-09-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

tdog4871

Go into your Tv setting and turn HDMI-CEC to "OFF" (Sony is BRAVIA Theatre Sync, Panasonic is Viera Link, Samsung is Anynet+, Pioneer is KURO Link)

Thank you, that seems to have done the trick.
post #2663 of 3197 Old 01-11-2010, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

4. Wait 2 minutes

I'm lazy so I ordered several $3 HDMI cables from Monoprice (1.3a with the filter on each end) and it has seemed to solve my problems...if I can blame something on a faulty cable, I usually will.
post #2664 of 3197 Old 01-11-2010, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14

Why are there crossover parameters in two places, one in auto-setup and one in manual setup?

And why does the auto read 40 Hz and the manual read 90 Hz?

And how do I know which one is in effect?

And how do I get the one in effect I want to be active?

Joe -----

The harder it is to tell the difference, the less difference it makes.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude." -- Thomas Jefferson, translated from Latin

Also translated as "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" 

post #2665 of 3197 Old 01-12-2010, 07:13 AM
585-645-1006

The settings you see listed in the AUTO section are those settings that the Denon has set after running AUTO SETUP. If you decide to change those settings (eg. increase the crossover from 40 to 90), then that change would be made in the Manual section and would then take precedence over the AUTO setting for that same parameter.

post #2666 of 3197 Old 01-12-2010, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHouse View Post

...why does the auto read 40 Hz and the manual read 90 Hz?...

And to add to jd, why indeed, if you did not reset the xovers after autosetup. Was this an open box? And why 90? 80 is usually as high as you want to raise it manually.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #2667 of 3197 Old 01-12-2010, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The settings you see listed in the AUTO section are those settings that the Denon has set after running AUTO SETUP. If you decide to change those settings (eg. increase the crossover from 40 to 90), then that change would be made in the Manual section and would then take precedence over the AUTO setting for that same parameter.

Great answer. I hope that's the way it works.

And to respond to the next question, I had this receiver set up with a different set of speakers before, using Audyssey. But that was a year ago. I don't remember changing the crossovers manually then. When I got the new speakers I ran Audyssey again (twice in fact) and I don't remember changing the crossovers in the manual section then either, and that's only been a couple of weeks (although its possible). I guess I need a diary.

Joe -----

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude." -- Thomas Jefferson, translated from Latin

post #2668 of 3197 Old 01-12-2010, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 1593
Quote:

Great answer. I hope that's the way it works.

I can confirm that it does work that way

The stuff you see in the "Parameter Check" section of the Auto Setup menu is just a "report card" of the results of the Audyssey configuration / measurements. That is letting you know what Audyssey measured as the approximate "low end" bass response of the speakers in your room.

If you ever want to reset your settings to this default configuration, hit the "Restore" button at the bottom of that Parameter Check menu.

Once you "restore" you should then see the exact same crossovers in the Manual Setup menu. As JD noted, anything you change in Manual Setup will then automatically take precedence over what was done in Auto Setup. The "report card" in the Auto Setup menu will still report the same numbers because, again, this is just a listing of the results. The "active" settings will always be found in the Manual Setup area.

Note that fiddling with crossovers will NOT impact Audyssey detrimentally, and in fact it is recommended to raise crossovers to 80Hz if they have been set lower. The Audyssey EQ filters are 100% independent of the basic speaker configuration.

For more info, I suggest you read through the Audyssey section of my FAQ:
http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#audyssey

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #2669 of 3197 Old 01-12-2010, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks a million. I had looked through your faq, but maybe too quickly, but this answer is crystal clear. So, Wow, my little sats needed to be cut down 3db at 40Hz. I never would have expected that. I guess I am totally safe in setting the crossover to 80 Hz now. And BLAST away. Great. I can't thank you enough.

Joe -----

post #2670 of 3197 Old 01-12-2010, 01:34 PM
585-645-1006

Wow ... you really do have those speakers on the floor which is likely why you got the crossover setting you did even though the speakers are only rated down to about 70hz and actually start rolling off just under 90hz. Are they laying flat or are they tilted up towards the listener?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2309ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page