problem with Lexicon MC-8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-11-2008, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

MC-8 was working fine within several years and on one day something happened and it started to occassionally 'reboot'. This looks like when you start to watch the movie/listen to audio, everything starts fine, but it takes 2-5 minutes and MC-8 'reboots' and runs diagnostic tests. When they are passed, they start over again, this process is similar like you power it on, then power off and power on again. I tried to turn it off from standby mode, let it get cooled and turn on again. It worked a bit longer but then started to do resetting all the time again. I changed the power cord, tried to plug it to another outlet, but it gave the same result.

The only difference that I was able to catch is that when I took it away from all the devices, disconnected all the wires and just plugged it into the outlet without any input/output and turned on, it worked fine during several hours so I started to think that something was wrong with the outlet. But when I returned it to the usual place, connected to DVD/amplifier, everything was the same, it started rebooting after the small amount of time.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this? Is there any way to return it to normal working condition?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2008, 07:32 PM

Is there a software/hardware option to clear all of your settings and start fresh?
Old 08-12-2008, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for reply!

I will certainly try to do a reset to factory defaults. But if that would not help either, are there any other ways to solve it out? May be there are some safety locks burned out, I just don't know where they are located in the processor body. I would appreciate any help.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:19 PM

There are a couple of lexicon experts on here so maybe they could chime in.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

That would be very helpful if they would try to look into it, but I do not know any of them. Please respond! Thanks!
Old 08-14-2008, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
When it goes through diagnostics do you get an error or does it just basically restart as if you had just flipped the switch in the back?

I haven't seen this on a MC-8 but on MC-1,DC1/2 they do something like what you are describing. When they start doing that is the power supply is getting weak. Last step of diagnostics is firing a bunch of relays and turning up the system. This causes too much of a voltage sag and the Lex. browns out and starts diagnostics again. Eventually it may make it though in which case they typically run fine until the next time it is hard powered. A new power supply fixes this right up. For a MC-1, DC1/2 the supply is about $65 from Lexicon and is easy to swap out. I don't know what supply the MC-8 uses.

Shawn
Old 08-14-2008, 03:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Rather than speculating and guessing, have you tried to contact support people at Lexicon? Have you looked at the "troubleshooting" section of the owner's manual?

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I briefly had a B-stock MC-4 that would lock up constantly when fed a digital signal from my Comcast HD DVR. Lexicon tech support said their processors only accepted 44 Khz digital signals and higher, and that cable/sat providers often dropped below that due to bandwidth issues. I returned the unit. Strangely, my JBL AV-1, which is a virtual clone of the MC-4, has no problems with the Comcast digital feed, so I suspect that MC-4 was defective. Several years ago I also had a MC-8 and it had no problems at all, although at that time I was not using a Comcast HD DVR. Lexicon makes great processors but like anyone else they can occasionally produce a defective unit. My advice is to swap that one out for another unit - there is no reason it should do what you describe.

"The truth is out there!"