Fixed! -- Denon AVR-1708 problems: Setup, Surround, Sub - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-14-2008, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a new-to-me Denon AVR-1708, and am having many problems with it. I'm pretty sure it is broken, but thought I would see if anyone else has had these issues and if there is a fix. Here is what doesn't work:

Auto Setup:
- I plug in the factory mic and the screen says "Auto Set
- Then I press the "<" button on the remote but nothing happens.
- For that matter, nothing happens after pressing any of the Arrow or Enter buttons on either side of the remote, or rotating or pressing the <> knob on the 1708.
- The "<" button on the remote works fine in manual setup.

Manual Setup:
- If Front speakers are set to "Small", they give no sound at all. They work fine if set to "Large".
- Surround speakers give no sound on Small or Large settings, for any Surround mode.
- Subwoofer Pre-Out doesn't work on any setting or surround mode, even if all other speakers are set to "Small", and Sub is set to "Yes", for any SW Mode or Crossover Hz, or "2ch Direct/Stereo Custom" setting. (It does emit an extremely faint signal from the input source but it doesn't scale with volume--measures less than 2 mVac. Also, the Sub Pre-Out jack works fine if a signal is piped directly into the Ext-In SW jack.)
- No test tones are emitted for either the "Auto" or "Manual" methods. This might be related to the Auto Setup problem above, since test tones would have followed "<".

Surround modes:
- None of the Surround speakers work in any mode.
- Front Speakers only work if in the "Stereo" and "Direct" modes.

A&B Speaker Buttons/Lights:
Work erratically/inconsistently.

Microprocessor Reset procedure:
Done numerous times but no affect on any of the above problems. It does reset the settings to factory defaults, and Speakers to A.

I've independently checked the surround speakers and subwoofer and they work fine.

So it basically functions only as a 2.0 stereo receiver. Internally, it seems like the problem is in the interface between the microprocessor and output circuits.

Questions:
- Has anyone experienced similar problems/solution?
- Is there a "deeper" reset procedure, perhaps by opening up the unit? (Um, short of replacing all the boards, or throwing off a nearby cliff )

Thanks, David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-15-2008, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Update:

I'm virtually certain now the problem is in the DSP, as all the symptoms relate directly to that.

The power amps for all the Surround channels are fine: I piped a source to the Ext-In Surround jacks and that gives normal output to all surround speakers.

The A&B Speaker buttons are working fine... I may have not understood the delays and autoswitching before.

I took off the top and see there is a motherboard on the back-right with 3 daughter cards (top to bottom): HDMI board, Video board, and an analog input board. The HDMI board has a monster chip, ADSP-21367, which according to Analog Devices' website is a

High-Performance 32-bit Floating-Point SHARC Processor for Home Theater...
offers industry standard audio decoder & post-processing algorithms such as:
* PCM
* Dolby Digital*
* Dolby Digital EX2*
* Dolby Pro Logic IIx*
* DTS 5.1*
* DTS ES*
* DTS Neo:6*
* DTS 96/24*
* WMAPRO 7.1*
* AAC (LC)

All the other chips in the 1708 appear to be rather pedestrian, so they are using the HDMI board to do audio DSP work.

Anyone have a 1708 that is otherwise not working, for parts?
Or, can consumers buy these boards directly?

This is kinda fun, esp if I can actually fix it.

Thanks, David
post #3 of 11 Old 08-15-2008, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

If only it was always this easy.

All I did was blow some dust off the HDMI board, then checked/resecured all the connections (to the motherboard, various plugs).

Power up. Voila! Surround modes work! Subwoofer works! Auto-setup is running as I write!

The problem very well might come back, but for now life is great.

David
post #4 of 11 Old 09-26-2008, 08:03 AM

Is the receiver still working after the HDMI board dust-off?
I´m having the same problem and will do the same.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-27-2008, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, still working perfectly. I'm not sure if it was the dust-off or resetting all the connections that fixed it (both done at same time). Good luck!
post #6 of 11 Old 10-19-2008, 08:01 PM

I have had my Denon AVR 1708 serviced 3 times by Denon. The HDMI board has been replaced twice! Is there anything I can do? I bought the unit a year ago tomorrow. I need to call Denon yet again. I do not remember how to perform a factory reset. Now the unit is not even outputting the test tone.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-09-2011, 06:10 AM

I tried David82282's advice after experiencing the same problems. I cant quite believe it, but it worked. I tried loads of other fixes incl reseting microprocesor. Alas none worked. The one thing i did notice when following David82282's step by step process, was that one of the connectors had a very slight milky dust on the pins when i pulled out the connector. I gave it a little rub down with an electrical screwdriver and reconnected it. Other that that, i just blew the dust off and unpluged and repluged all the HDMI board connectors.

I had the amp in storage, so i now figure that humidity lead to some form of tiny corosion to some connectors. However, this is an assumption only.

Thanks David82282! Awesome.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-09-2011, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

engstrom.nz, great to hear it worked for you! Good catch on the dust/oxidation.

Mine is still working fine, 3 years later.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-17-2011, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I just cleaned my HDMI input board for the second time. I haven't tested it yet but I assume it's going to work. (It did last time.)

Hope it stays un-dusty for at least a year.

=Brian

Edit- Worked beautifully but only for about 90 minutes and the back to trouble. I have to use Analog till I get replace it.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-11-2013, 08:23 AM

Hello there,

Sorry to use this old thread but after 2 years of no use,
I decided to grab my amp from my storage and to set it up.

When booting I successfully "Auto Setup" with mic and start plugging my PS3 HDMI Cable for video and optical cable for sound.
Unfortunatly there was no sound at all.

I switched the PS3 with another device on the same setup (hdmi for video and optical for sound), same negative result.
At first, I though the problem was coming from the optical cable, maybe it was faulty.
After buying a new one, the same issue occured !

So I decided to reconfigure the Auto Setup and the big problem arrived ! mad.gif
I got exactly the symptoms mentioned by david82282 concerning Auto Setup !
Just after connecting microphone, impossible to use remote controller or enter button on front to launch Auto Setup procedure :-(
I really dont know why Auto Setup is no more working now...... only one night, some plugs in all hdmi ports between theses two attempts..

After googling I found this post and follow fixed procedure by david82282 .
I did reset factoring and open the case, remove some dust but it is still not working ....
I completely removed the hdmi motherboard for cleaning, no help.

I'm just posting this message for help if anyone still interested or more information on the subject

Thank you all
post #11 of 11 Old 01-11-2013, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry to hear it didn't work for yours.

Update on my 1708 -- the hdmi board is still working fine. But about 6 months ago, the receiver started making very loud pops through the speakers, blinking red power light, protection mode, etc. A little reading on avsforum indicated dust can cause that, too. So I used compressed air, especially on the main amp board, reseated connectors... fixed again! Maybe I'm getting lucky... I know dust isn't the cause of all problems, but apparently more than a few.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page