I'm not sure if this is the best thread to post this question in, but I thought I would start here to see if anyone had any ideas or could point me to a better place to post.
I am trying to connect my Dell Studio laptop to my 2809 receiver using an HDMI cable and am having no luck in getting audio to the receiver.
Dell Studio 1735
Processor: Core 2 Duo T9300 @ 2.5GHz
OS: Vista Ultimate 32-bit
Graphics card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
Audio: Microsoft High Definition Audio
Chipset: Mobile Intel GM965
Here are the troubleshooting steps I have tried so far:
- Confirmed that the system playback device in Vista is set to the "Digital Output Device (HDMI)" device and that this device is set as the default. Also confirmed that the volume setting is at the maximum and is not muted.
- Connected the laptop using an HDMI cable directly to my 60" Sony XBR1 and Bravia HDTVs. With this connection, audio is output on both of the TVs with no problem. This confirms that audio at least works on the laptop with two different HDMI devices.
- Connected the laptop using the same HDMI cable normally connected to my Roku Netflix player, which is in turn connected to the receiver using input HDMI 2 - HDP. No sound using this connection. This rules out a systemic problem with the HDMI cable I am using to test the laptop with.
- Connected the laptop to an open HDMI input on the receiver (HDMI 3 - SAT) and confirmed that in the receiver menu that the Assign settings for the SAT input had HDMI set to HDMI3, Digital In set to None, Input Mode set to Auto and Decode Mode set to Auto. No sound using this connection.
- Connected the Roku player to the same SAT input (HDMI 3) and confirmed that video and audio were working as expected from the Roku. This rules out errors in the setup of the SAT input in the receiver's menu.
All of my HDMI cables are high-quality cables from bluejeanscable.com and have all been tested previously using multiple devices, so I am certain that the cables can be ruled as known-good. The laptop outputs audio to two different TVs using HDMI, so this confirms that audio works from the laptop's HDMI port. The receiver's HDMI ports are confirmed as working by connecting other devices such as the Roku Player and also my TiVo Series 3.
In all cases, the video over the HDMI port worked perfectly and at multiple different resolutions (I mainly used 1280x720p). It's just the no audio that's got me completely stumped.
Can anyone offer any suggestions on what I might try next to make this work? I can post up screenshots of Windows settings or whatever might be needed.
Thank you in advance.