"Official" Denon AVR 2809CI/989 Thread - Page 132 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3931 of 5676 Old 08-22-2009, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks..I have done some more trouble shooting, and it seems to only be doing this in the Direct, and Stereo modes thru the headphones. If I listen in the Dolby PLIIx mode it does not seem to do it. This is really strange...

I am also noticing if in the stereo mode, and I push the button for that mode again, the volume comes back to normal, until I push the volume up one click, and it drops dramatically. I wonder if this has something to do with the AL24 processing? Because that is "on" in Direct, and Stereo modes.

Does anyone else with this model have headphones that they can use to check and see if they are having this issue?

Edit: I just changed the sound output from pcm to bitstream to disable the AL24, and I still have the same issue.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3932 of 5676 Old 08-22-2009, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

Thanks..I have done some more trouble shooting, and it seems to only be doing this in the Direct, and Stereo modes thru the headphones. Does anyone else with this model have headphones that they can use to check and see if they are having this issue?

Checked with my 2809-headphones/ Vol knob work as fine. Glad for me, sad for you. I'd think somebody would've noticed a problem like this over this past year with thousands of units in operation, if this is a "bug".

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #3933 of 5676 Old 08-22-2009, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for checking that SOM. I wasn't sure because it seems alot of people don't use headphones these days. So in a nutshell, what is happening is when I have the 989 in "stereo", or "direct stereo" mode, with headphones connected, and when I click the volume up 1 notch, it decreases the volume by alot. In order for me to get it back to volume I have to hit the direct/stereo button again.

Also when I skip to the next song, it will also decrease the volume. So it seems whenever there is a lapse in the signal, it fouls it up also.

Oh well, I'll call Denon on Monday and see what they say. I have been so frustrated these last few weeks, 1st my ps3 goes, and now this....

post #3934 of 5676 Old 08-22-2009, 10:08 PM

Liked: 10
I have a denon avr-989 with all my compoenets runing thru' the denon and find the video output has a greenish tinge to it. Does any one know how to adjust the color output? I have tested the quality by connecting the cable box directly to the TV and the picture seems fine in that case.

My cable box and the TV are connected to the rcvr with component video cables for now.
post #3935 of 5676 Old 08-23-2009, 04:19 AM

Liked: 11
Going through the status button on the Denon it will say "DIAL. NORM OFFSET -4db". Does anyone know what that means? I looked through the manual and can't find any info. Thanks

Life is too short to drink cheap beer
post #3936 of 5676 Old 08-23-2009, 05:01 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
For you lurkors and new AVS members out there, once you become a FREE member of AVS Forum you will be able to login and then will have access to the Search This Thread button which will show up next to the Thread Tools button (located at upper right of the page). This will allow you to search the particular thread you're in for key words (eg. "dialog normalization") to read just those posts with those key words.

Also, try searching the other Denon AVR model threads (esp the 1909 thread as it is the largest Denon model thread) as the majority of questions in each thread apply across all Denon models.

Quote:

Pete -
It's described on p. 48 (lower right corner) of your Owner's Manual.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3937 of 5676 Old 08-23-2009, 06:00 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohri View Post

I have a denon avr-989 with all my compoenets runing thru' the denon and find the video output has a greenish tinge to it. Does any one know how to adjust the color output? I have tested the quality by connecting the cable box directly to the TV and the picture seems fine in that case.

My cable box and the TV are connected to the rcvr with component video cables for now.

Adjustments can only be done at the component level or TV itself. If you're just going component in and component out, the 989 isn't doing anything to the video so your best bet is just take the 989 out of the equation and go straight to the TV with the audio only to the 989. Some gaming machines have been known to cause a green tone, however, it is generally solved by changing the game box video setting from RGB to YCbCr.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #3938 of 5676 Old 08-23-2009, 11:22 AM

I tried that this morning and it didn't come up for me.Thanks for the info.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer
post #3939 of 5676 Old 08-23-2009, 02:21 PM

I recently chose the 5.1 (uncompressed) audio track via HDMI on Hellboy BD...the display ch'd on the 2809 to say "MULT-CHAN IN" but no audio is produced...I ch'g back to DD 5.1 and the audio was fine...When playing the LPCM track the "status" screen shows PCM as being received, so the BD player (Denon 2500 BTCI) seems to be sending the signal correctly...but no audio...Any Ideas?? I searched the thread, couldn't find anything that addresses this specifically...Thanks!!
post #3940 of 5676 Old 08-23-2009, 05:16 PM
585-645-1006

First off, there's a firmware update that was made available back in May for the 2500 BTCI. Have you downloaded it from the Denon USA website here. Next, according to your 2500 Owner's Manual, p. 11, you must have the HDMI Audio Out setting to either HDMI Multi (Normal) for DD 5.1 OR HDMI Multi (LPCM) for PCM. From your description you have it set to (Normal) rather than (LPCM). If that's the case, change it to (LPCM).

post #3941 of 5676 Old 08-23-2009, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

First off, there's a firmware update that was made available back in May for the 2500 BTCI. Have you downloaded it from the Denon USA website here. Next, according to your 2500 Owner's Manual, p. 11, you must have the HDMI Audio Out setting to either HDMI Multi (Normal) for DD 5.1 OR HDMI Multi (LPCM) for PCM. From your description you have it set to (Normal) rather than (LPCM). If that's the case, change it to (LPCM).

God bless you JD!..you should be paid man. You are so helpful in these Denon forums, and alot of people have "you" to thank for solving their issues. You're one hell of a member here. I for one, as well as others, hope you never leave!... You must love electronics, and helping people understand there workings. Wish I could buy you a beer...!

Quote:

Thanks for checking that SOM. I wasn't sure because it seems alot of people don't use headphones these days. So in a nutshell, what is happening is when I have the 989 in "stereo", or "direct stereo" mode, with headphones connected, and when I click the volume up 1 notch, it decreases the volume by alot. In order for me to get it back to volume I have to hit the direct/stereo button again.

Also when I skip to the next song, it will also decrease the volume. So it seems whenever there is a lapse in the signal, it fouls it up also.

Oh well, I'll call Denon on Monday and see what they say. I have been so frustrated these last few weeks, 1st my ps3 goes, and now this....

I have been doing some more troubleshooting, and this seems to be more of a intermittent problem today. I did 2 more micro resets, and it was doing it only on the "Stereo" mode. Now, it is not doing it at all, and I hope it stays that way. I have 30 days to decide whether to return this unit, and believe me, I'm going to need all of them!

post #3942 of 5676 Old 08-23-2009, 06:02 PM

I swore I checked that last night, and it didn't change anything...really. Now, i'm embarrassed..as it fixed the problem. So I need to change that whenever I have an lcpm (uncompressed) audio choice...(which isn't often)hmmm.. No Auto??

I tried that upgrade link to Denon you provided...it dosen't list the 2500 btci in the drop down window.; I found it on the Denon website and upgraded from 1.107 to 1.119.....

Thanks for your help!!
post #3943 of 5676 Old 08-24-2009, 06:13 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

God bless you JD!..you should be paid man. You are so helpful in these Denon forums, and alot of people have "you" to thank for solving their issues. You're one hell of a member here. I for one, as well as others, hope you never leave!... You must love electronics, and helping people understand there workings. Wish I could buy you a beer...!

Thanks Ting. By doing the research I learn more myself as well as passing it on to help solve poster's issues. By helping each other we all learn how to use our AVRs more effectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morg999 View Post

I swore I checked that last night, and it didn't change anything...really. Now, i'm embarrassed..as it fixed the problem. So I need to change that whenever I have an lcpm (uncompressed) audio choice...(which isn't often)hmmm.. No Auto??

I tried that upgrade link to Denon you provided...it dosen't list the 2500 btci in the drop down window.; I found it on the Denon website and upgraded from 1.107 to 1.119.....

Thanks for your help!!

No worries. I figured it was a 2500 setting issue; however, the firmware update mentioned solving problems with some BD's so installing that update will help as well.

post #3944 of 5676 Old 08-24-2009, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Have to say I love this avr for movies. Have the speakers configured with Audyssey. Love it. Most movies the the mix is perfect. The issue I have is I sometimes run across a movie where the center channel mix is a little soft compared to the surrounds. Normally have volume set from -15 to -22. I like aggressive surrounds and it is a dedicated room so I can set as loud as I want. Sometimes though the mix is off on the movie and turning it louder does not help as everything is is louder and still drowns out the center channel. Anyone have a slick way of quickly bumping up the center channel? If it is just me I can pop into menu and up the center channel but with guests I hate to pull everyone out of the movie to do this. Anyone have ideas on this?

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #3945 of 5676 Old 08-24-2009, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 894
do you have a Harmony remote? there are discrete IR codes for speaker volumes.

a simpler solution might be trying out Dynamic Volume on those badly mixed movies.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #3946 of 5676 Old 08-24-2009, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

do you have a Harmony remote? there are discrete IR codes for speaker volumes.

a simpler solution might be trying out Dynamic Volume on those badly mixed movies.

Thanks! I will try the dynamic volume. I have a Harmony 890 arriving the end of this week. Are you saying there could be a discreet code to just raise the center channel volume?

post #3947 of 5676 Old 08-24-2009, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

not just that there could be, that there IS. It's part of the code database for "AVR 3808CI" so just use that model number when you set up your Harmony profile, or just email Harmony tech support and ask them to copy over my Denon AVR device profile from my account "batpigworld".

see the link in my signature, I have listed and described the function of all the IR commands in the Harmony database for "AVR 3808CI" plus some extras. There are discrete volume commands for all 7.1 speaker channels.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3948 of 5676 Old 08-24-2009, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Thanks! I will try the dynamic volume. I have a Harmony 890 arriving the end of this week. Are you saying there could be a discreet code to just raise the center channel volume?

Meanwhile simply hit the big Ch select/Enter button on your remote (twice to get to CC) and use the R arrow cursor right next to it to crank it up. IIRC this will be remembered by surround mode only. To apply it to all modes go to menu-manual setup-speaker setup-channel level-CC and tweak it up.

post #3949 of 5676 Old 08-24-2009, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

You guys ROCK!

post #3950 of 5676 Old 08-24-2009, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I am currently watching my first Blu-Ray disc (Day of Thunder) using my Oppo 83 player thru the 989. The Days of Thunder disc has Dolby Tru HD selected for the audio output. I am using a 5.1 speaker setup. The 989 is displaying the sound as "DTS Surround", is this correct?

Thank you.
post #3951 of 5676 Old 08-24-2009, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't think anyone at Dolby or DTS would be very happy if you tried to play the Dolby track and your receiver said "DTS"!

No, that is not correct. Dolby Digital is not DTS. When you hit the "Status" button on the AVR, what does it report as the input signal? And how many channels are you getting (you can count the boxes lit up on the display, left side is input channels and right side is output speakers).

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3952 of 5676 Old 08-24-2009, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Picture View Post

I am currently watching my first Blu-Ray disc (Day of Thunder) using my Oppo 83 player thru the 989. The Days of Thunder disc has Dolby Tru HD selected for the audio output. I am using a 5.1 speaker setup. The 989 is displaying the sound as "DTS Surround", is this correct?

Thank you.

No!...there is something wrong in the Oppo settings. Change your sound output in the Oppo's settings. Bitstream..I think.

post #3953 of 5676 Old 08-24-2009, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

By helping each other we all learn how to use our AVRs more effectively.

+1

Another update on my issue. Yesterday when I was not experiencing the volume cut, I had only run Audyssey in one position after the micro resets.
Since I wasn't hearing the volume cut, I decided to run a full eight position sweep today since I was off from work. I don't really remember whether Audyssey was "on" yesterday while I was having no issues, but I suspect it was not.

So before I ran Audyssey, I checked again to make sure I wasn't having the volume cut with headphones..I was not...then I did a full Audyssey sweep. After it finished, Audyssey was "on", and I connected the headphones, put the AVR in stereo mode, and I notice that I have the volume cut now with the headphones..wth?

So now I'm thinking it has something to do with Audyssey "ON" conflicting with the headphone output. So I went into the menu, and turned off Audyssey manually. Normally, when you insert a headphone plug into the headphone jack, it automatically disables Audyssey, but I wanted to make sure that it was disabled before I plugged the headphones in.

Sure enough, I get no volume cut when I try the headphones after I manually disabled Audyssey. So I unplug the headphones, and turn Audyssey back on. Plug the headphones back in.."Audyssey automatically disables", and once again I get the cut in volume. So this is telling me that when I plug the headphones in while Audyssey is engaged, it screws up the volume somehow when raising or lowering it. If I manually turn off Audyssey before plugging in the headphones, everything is fine. Btw..it does have this issue whether I raise or lower the volume with one click, .5db.

I can duplicate this scenario every time so far. So, if I manually turn Audyssey off before inserting the headphones, I get "NO" volume cut if I raise or lower the volume by.5db, if I let the receiver disable Audyssey when I insert the headphones, I "Do Have" the volume cut. So I guess my unit has some kind of quirk/bug? SOM, I know you don't have the issue with your 2809, but maybe this is related to the 989 only?

Well at least I have a workaround for this problem as of now. Who knows though, it could change tomorrow.

post #3954 of 5676 Old 08-24-2009, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

have you called Denon tech support? What you describe is certainly not "normal" operation, and there should not be any functional difference between various Denon models in terms of something as basic as the headphone jack.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3955 of 5676 Old 08-24-2009, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, I changed an audio setting on the Oppo and now I'm getting "Dolby TruHd" on the 989 display.

Thanks Guys!!!
post #3956 of 5676 Old 08-24-2009, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+SOM, I know you don't have the issue with your 2809, but maybe this is related to the 989 only? Well at least I have a workaround for this problem as of now. Who knows though, it could change tomorrow.

I dunno, I would hope it's only related to your unit.

What batpig said. Best of luck.

post #3957 of 5676 Old 08-24-2009, 03:37 PM
585-645-1006

We actually just covered this with another Oppo model ..... although with the Oppo 83 when Secondary Audio is ON, then ANY audio track that is bitstreamed will come across as DTS. Therefore, as you learned, Secondary Audio must be set to OFF.

post #3958 of 5676 Old 08-24-2009, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

have you called Denon tech support? What you describe is certainly not "normal" operation, and there should not be any functional difference between various Denon models in terms of something as basic as the headphone jack.

Not yet bp, but I plan on calling them asap. I hope this is just my unit that does this. Maybe Denon will want it to run tests, and they'll swap it out for me...

I am either going to live with this, or it goes back to Amazon, and I'll wait for the next deal.

post #3959 of 5676 Old 08-24-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Have to say I love this avr for movies. Have the speakers configured with Audyssey. Love it. Most movies the the mix is perfect. The issue I have is I sometimes run across a movie where the center channel mix is a little soft compared to the surrounds.

I haven't had this problem, but with the 2809 and certain music videos the bass levels can be really out of whack. For instance, with Diana Krall Live in Paris in DTS, I have to cut the LFE back to -10 as suggested in the manual, and cut it back to -4 in Dolby Digital.

OTOH, some vids sound just fine without adjustment. Dunno why this is.

Overall tho, I'm just amazed at this unit and enjoying it every day.
post #3960 of 5676 Old 08-25-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:

Not yet bp, but I plan on calling them asap. I hope this is just my unit that does this. Maybe Denon will want it to run tests, and they'll swap it out for me...

I am either going to live with this, or it goes back to Amazon, and I'll wait for the next deal.

You can try to apply Denon 2809/989 iPod Video Fix first. It will update your firmwares (four of them) to the latest available ones where this issue could have been silently fixed. Can you check what firmware versions do you have now? Follow this thread if you don't remember how to do this:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post15325954
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page