Forum Jump: 

post #5221 of 5676 Old 09-10-2011, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Unless you want to wait for 6Ave to get it back in stock, give Electronics Expo a call as they've got it in stock now and at a great price.

Not familiar with them, but I've seem them mentioned a few times here on the site so I'm assuming they're reputable. Thanks for the tip. I'll give them a shout and see what they can offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5222 of 5676 Old 09-10-2011, 09:48 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
^^
Very reputable ... in fact, they've likely been an authorized Denon reseller longer than 6Ave.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5223 of 5676 Old 09-18-2011, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Anyone having issues with audio dropouts with StarWars: The Complete Saga BluRay?

Esp in Episode II, one of the most notable ones happens at timestamp 31:26 and 31:32....upgraded firmware in BDP, and no improvement, exchanged for new set of discs and no improvement.

Any chance a firmware upgrade to the AVR could fix this?

JSS
post #5224 of 5676 Old 09-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post

Anyone having issues with audio dropouts with StarWars: The Complete Saga BluRay?

Esp in Episode II, one of the most notable ones happens at timestamp 31:26 and 31:32....upgraded firmware in BDP, and no improvement, exchanged for new set of discs and no improvement.

JSS

At least the drop-outs aren't on the original series. Phantom Menace would've been no big loss!

What Blu player are you using?
Any telltale lights changing or flicking on & off on the Denon's front display?
Are you bitstreaming audio or decoding in the player? Trying switching that over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5225 of 5676 Old 09-19-2011, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Haggis,

I am using a Sony BDP-BX2, no lights flicker on the Denon front display, and as far as I know, the receiver is decoding the audio, sent via HDMI from the player to the receiver, with no multichannel decoding done by the player. The player is a very 'bare bones' model, and may be my problem. The main reason I checked here was that another Denon owner (2311) playing back thru PS3 had the same thing happen.

Unfortunately, I get dropouts throughout Episode IV as well...

Thanks for your help!

On another AVS forum, there is a report of another person using a 2809 that runs through PS3, and his audio is fine, so it may be the BDP that is the culprit, or a bad batch of pressings.

JSS
post #5226 of 5676 Old 09-19-2011, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, I'm having the same issue with EP 2 and 4. My receiver is a Denon AVR-890, Blu ray is Panasonic DMP-BD35. I also tried with my neighbor's PS3 and the same thing happens, the audio cuts off when the BD players output bitstream but is fine when they output PCM.
From this thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-r...roblems-3.html people are suspecting a problem with the new security encoding. It looks like it is more particular to Denon and in this case I'm out of luck as my receiver can't be updated unless by a Denon service technician . I really hope it's a Fox issue and that they will do a replacement program.
post #5227 of 5676 Old 09-19-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:

JSS

Yes, Only fix .. I replaced the Denon with a New Yamaha V571 and it plays like a champ. I still cant figure out what was wrong with my 2309. It played everything else I put through it but the Saga ..no can do. ESB and ROTS played fine but all the rest of them..audio drop outs and static at the beginning.

May the Force be with you.
post #5228 of 5676 Old 09-19-2011, 11:50 AM

Another "fix" is to get the BD player to output PCM instead of bitstream.
post #5229 of 5676 Old 09-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Haggis,

I am using a Sony BDP-BX2, no lights flicker on the Denon front display, and as far as I know, the receiver is decoding the audio, sent via HDMI from the player to the receiver, with no multichannel decoding done by the player. The player is a very 'bare bones' model, and may be my problem. The main reason I checked here was that another Denon owner (2311) playing back thru PS3 had the same thing happen.

Unfortunately, I get dropouts throughout Episode IV as well...

Thanks for your help!

On another AVS forum, there is a report of another person using a 2809 that runs through PS3, and his audio is fine, so it may be the BDP that is the culprit, or a bad batch of pressings.

JSS

Look up how to switch the player to bitstream output so the Denon decodes.
Your player should be able to do it, and there's a good chance this will solve the problem.

(I have it set this way anyway, as the midrange is slightly warmer if the Denon decodes.)

If it still happens, try different soundtracks (Dolby Digital +, foreign language, etc) to see how they're affected.

For the record, I can recommend the PS3 (with bluetooth remote) as a phenomenal player, media server and more. Cheap now, too.

post #5230 of 5676 Old 09-19-2011, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

When the player is bitstreaming, I get audio dropouts. When the player is outputting LPCM, no dropouts, but I am no longer playing HiDef audio per my BDP's documentation, only the lossy cores.

The other lossy soundtracks on the disc (French, Spanish, Portugese, and descriptive audio), have no dropouts.

With people starting to report different players but still dropouts, it sounds like the Denon may be the culprit. I have an e-mail in at Fox, to see if anyone else has reported this issue.

Is your Denon handling the Saga well, Haggis? If so, what BDP are you using?

JSS
post #5231 of 5676 Old 09-19-2011, 03:16 PM

I thought that when outputting PCM that it was still High Def resolution. It is just that the player does the decoding instead of the AVR.
post #5232 of 5676 Old 09-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

I'm using a PS3, which as I mentioned, is unbeatable.

I haven't bought or tried the saga (I'll get around to renting them eventually )

With the PS3, and indeed most modern Blu players, you can set uncompressed PCM output so that hi-def audio track is decoded in the player and output as uncompressed with the hi-def audio left intact. You shouldn't be getting the lossy core tracks.

Outputting PCM is actually what many people prefer, as all the menu/button sound effects, etc are mixed in as well.

(As I mentioned, I only use bitstream because I slightly prefer the sound when the Denon decodes. But that's me.)

post #5233 of 5676 Old 09-19-2011, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

My receiver and player never had any problems playing DTS-MA or DolbyTHD until this release. I don't think this is my receiver or player, unless it is a firmware issue.

Lots of the same problems in the UK:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-r...roblems-7.html

It may be a firmware issue, but how do we update firmware on the 2809ci?

JSS

Anyway, until this gets sorted out, I'm returning the discs. I'll let Fox know this, as they have not responded to the question that I sent to them several days ago.
post #5234 of 5676 Old 09-19-2011, 06:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunofagundes View Post

I thought that when outputting PCM that it was still High Def resolution. It is just that the player does the decoding instead of the AVR.

it is...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #5235 of 5676 Old 09-19-2011, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Not for my player. It downmixes to 5.1 in LPCM mode, and only sends the cores, IIRC.

I hope that this is simply a firmware update issue like the folks over in the UK think it is.....so I'll wait for things to sort out before I buy new equipment.

My receiver has played many DTS-HDMA discs before without a hitch. No reason it shouldn't play these....and specifically, have two discs give more errors than the rest....]

Discs have been returned, hopefully Sony will put out a firmware upgrade for my BDP or Denon will do similarly for the 2809ci...

JSS
post #5236 of 5676 Old 09-19-2011, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:

Not for my player. It downmixes to 5.1 in LPCM mode, and only sends the cores, IIRC.

Hi maxmercy, curious what are your BD player audio settings? Check if the player BD Audio is set to MIX (it should be DIRECT).
post #5237 of 5676 Old 09-20-2011, 01:23 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunofagundes View Post

Correct. Uncompressing an HD lossless file to PCM is no different then unzipping a PC file .. doesn't matter which device does it .. it's the same HD lossless file regardless.

"JD" –

post #5238 of 5676 Old 09-20-2011, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi maxmercy, curious what are your BD player audio settings? Check if the player BD Audio is set to MIX (it should be DIRECT).

When audio is set to Direct, I only bitstream, as far as I can tell. No LPCM option is available to the best of my knowledge. Sony BDP-BX2.

Thanks,

JSS
post #5239 of 5676 Old 09-20-2011, 08:32 AM

As I said I have a SONY BDP 370 and it most differently is the Denon. I switch the Sony out with a LG player with the same result. Its something in the Denon that is having trouble with the encoding of the DTS MASTER track. My new Yamaha V571 plays all the Saga disk perfectly. And for ..Just changing the Sony's Audio out to PCM..um no I didnt want to switch it back and fourth every time I wanted to go from the Saga to any other movie. Plus I am real anal about seeing that pretty little light saying DTS MASTER . I hate the ugly Muit Channel input effect on the front display.

May the Force be with you.
post #5240 of 5676 Old 09-20-2011, 11:47 AM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Although there should be no difference between decoding in the player and decoding in the receiver the capabilities of some players are unclear when decoding internally, particularly when secondary audio is present.

In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen a player other than the PS3 where it was confirmed that it can internally decode lossless audio while mixing in secondary audio. You wouldn't think this is a problem as who cares about the quality of secondary audio but in the case of discs such as those by Universal, whether you turn on ther UControl feature or not most players if set to be able to mix secondary audio will decode the lossy track.
post #5241 of 5676 Old 09-20-2011, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

the player has to decode internally to mix in secondary audio...

now, some players may be forced to use the lossy encode in order to do so (i don't know), but you can't mix secondary audio into a packed codec... it must be unpacked first...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #5242 of 5676 Old 09-20-2011, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

also anyone having this issue should see the bluray software subforum... this isn't unique to denon equipment...

- chris

post #5243 of 5676 Old 09-23-2011, 08:18 AM
585-645-1006

Denon has resolved the Star Wars: The Complete Saga BD audio dropout issue with a firmware update. Although the firmware update will be made available at authorized repair facilities for all models as an "in warranty" repair, regardless of whether actually beyond the 2 year warranty period, for those 2809CI/989 owners that feel comfortable doing their own installation I have the update which will require a PC laptop and USB to RS-232 cable. Note that this update is being provided as a courtesy and as such is not supported by Denon should you have any problems with the installation (ie. you cannot call Denon for assistance). If you don't feel comfortable with doing the installation on your own, simply submit it to an authorized repair facility that is able to do the update for you, or the work around is to simply set the Blu Ray player to LPCM, or otherwise "not" bitstream. Please PM me with your model # and non-gmail email address to receive the firmware update and instructions to install the update. For more information on firmware installation (in general), refer to post #2013 in the 2310CI thread.

Please note that this update applies to the USA and CA models only.

"JD" –

post #5244 of 5676 Old 09-23-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

My 989 has a RS 232 jack...

Mike

post #5245 of 5676 Old 09-23-2011, 10:00 AM
585-645-1006

Oops .. my mistake .. good catch ... haven't worked with this model in quite some time. The update will apply to both the 2809 and 989.

"JD" –

post #5246 of 5676 Old 09-26-2011, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Denon has resolved the Star Wars: The Complete Saga BD audio dropout issue with a firmware update. Although the firmware update will be made available at authorized repair facilities for all models as an "in warranty" repair, regardless of whether actually beyond the 2 year warranty period, DenonJeff will be providing the update to me in the next day or so for those 2809/989 owners that feel comfortable doing their own installation which will require a PC laptop and USB to RS-232 cable. Note that this update is being provided as a courtesy and as such is not supported by Denon should you have any problems with the installation (ie. you cannot call Denon for assistance). If you don't feel comfortable with doing the installation on your own, simply submit it to an authorized repair facility that is able to do the update for you, or the work around is to simply set the Blu Ray player to LPCM, or otherwise "not" bitstream. Please PM me with your model # and email address to receive the firmware update and instructions to install the update. For more information on firmware installation (in general), refer to post #2013 in the 2310CI thread.

Please note that this update applies to the USA and CA models only.

Just checked the EU site of Denon, and the latest update is from 30.04.2010.. with this change log...

Quote:

changelog of AVR2809
Main: 00.65
Crackling noise on surround back speakers during playback of DTS-HD-MSTR 6.1 disc (BD "The Descent")

V0071
When A/V amplifier is connected with ""ASD-11R"", ""iPhone 3G"" cannot output Video signal by "Remote mode".
The sound of Center is not emitted when assuming, ""Center None"" with Speaker Configuration when ""DTS-HD 192kHz 3/0/.1"" signal is input."
The noise like the metronome occurs from a central channel when ""DTS
EXPRESS Band Limitted 3/2/.1"" stream signal is reproduced.

does this mean there is no Star Wars fix for the EU Denon receivers yet... ?
post #5247 of 5676 Old 09-26-2011, 11:30 AM
585-645-1006

Apparently not ... give them a little time though. At least now you know where to go when there is one and luckily there is a very easy work around (ie. setting the BDP to PCM).

"JD" –

post #5248 of 5676 Old 09-27-2011, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailergod View Post

Just checked the EU site of Denon, and the latest update is from 30.04.2010.. with this change log...

does this mean there is no Star Wars fix for the EU Denon receivers yet... ?

Has anybody tried the european FW from 2010, does this help with the SW issue or not?
And if not, can i put the us firmware on a european machine?
post #5249 of 5676 Old 09-27-2011, 02:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by private Angus View Post

Has anybody tried the european FW from 2010, does this help with the SW issue or not?
And if not, can i put the us firmware on a european machine?

found this info from the other thread...

I will update my Denon 2809 with the April 2010 firmware and will give a feedback...

Quote:

Denon has resolved the Star Wars: The Complete Saga BD audio dropout issue with a firmware update. Although the firmware update will be made available at authorized repair facilities for all models as an "in warranty" repair, regardless of whether actually beyond the 2 year warranty period, . Please PM me with your model number and email address to receive the firmware update and instructions to install the update. For more information on firmware installation, refer to post #2013 .

An owner of a European 2310 has noted that with the 3rd update (from 2/10) there is no audio dropout issue. Can a US 2310 owner with that update comment whether they are experiencing the issue? Thanks.

post #5250 of 5676 Old 09-27-2011, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailergod View Post

found this info from the other thread...

I will update my Denon 2809 with the April 2010 firmware and will give a feedback...

Cool... please keep us posted !!!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page