post #5401 of 5687 Old 01-20-2012, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Not sure why it's not working for you ... on my 2808CI, my Sennheiser 140's work fine when connected to either VCR Out or Zone 2 preouts.

I have Sennheiser 120's, so the behavior should be the same.

Here is my current situation: I have all 6 inputs connected. All 6 have analog audio connected. For video, I have 2 s-video, 2 component, and 2 HDMI.

Normal playback, I have picture and sound on all 6 inputs.

With headphones connected to VCR out, I get sound on all inputs EXCEPT VCR. With headphones connected to DVR out, I get sound on all inputs EXCEPT DVR. I THINK this is normal behavior. If I actually had a VCR connected to the VCR jacks, or a DVR connected to the DVR jacks, the VCR/DVR out from the Denon is connected to the input of the respective machines. This is done so you can record a different source onto the VCR/DVR. You wouldn't want to record from the VCR/DVR itself. That would be a nonsense loop. Please correct me if you think I'm wrong. I believe my old Kenwood acted the same way.

With Zone 2 preout, I get no sound from any input, whether Zone 2 is set to source or if I scroll through the sources. Here is where I believe I have my problem. Must be a defective amp. I don't know if it has been bad from day 1, or recently developed. It's a moot point - it just doesn't work. The only thing I can think of is maybe there is some setting somewhere that isn't set right. Any ideas on that one??

My other question is - do you think it might help if I reset the microprocessor? (Got the idea from your signature ) I sorta don't want to, since it would be a lot of work to first copy down all my settings, then have to put them all back in. But if it would fix the problem, I would do it. I have a couple of workarounds for the problem, so it's not critical that I get it fixed.

At least this has been a learning experience for me. Thanks a lot for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 5687 Old 01-20-2012, 07:57 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2260 Post(s)
Liked: 1827
^^
Make sure to turn Zone 2 to ON. If still no joy, then the micro reset might work, as it's unlikely the Zone 2 preouts just stopped working.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5403 of 5687 Old 01-20-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:

^^
Make sure to turn Zone 2 to ON. If still no joy, then the micro reset might work, as it's unlikely the Zone 2 preouts just stopped working.

Zone 2 was off (what a dummy I am), but even with it on, still no joy. Maybe this weekend I will try the reset, out of curiosity if nothing else.
post #5404 of 5687 Old 01-23-2012, 12:58 PM

Well, I have good news and bad news.

The good news - my problem is fixed. I now have headphone sound out of Zone 2 preouts.

The bad news is - I'm not exactly sure what fixed it.

I went ahead and reset the microprocessor. After I was back up and running, I tried the preouts. It didn't seem like I was getting sound, but when I listened very carefully, there was the tiniest bit of sound coming out. After a couple of minutes, though, the green light went out on the Sennheiser base, so it wasn't hearing a sound either. On a hunch, I figured there might be a problem with the volume on Zone 2. I couldn't find any way to adjust the volume, but I finally set the power-on volume at -15db. I seem to recall the default was -40 db. That fixed the problem. I now have sound on all 6 inputs going out the Zone 2 preouts.

What I don't know is did I have this tiny bit of sound before I reset the microprocessor, or did the reset fix it?? I'll never know. But at least I have sound now, so I'm happy.

I still have no clue how to adjust the volume on Zone 2, if there is a way. But I can do that from my headphones.
post #5405 of 5687 Old 01-23-2012, 01:06 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Glad to hear the issue is resolved.

You can adjust Zone 2 volume one of two ways, either via the front panel or via the remote .... both described on p. 69 in your Owner's manual.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #5406 of 5687 Old 01-23-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:

^^
Glad to hear the issue is resolved.

You can adjust Zone 2 volume one of two ways, either via the front panel or via the remote .... both described on p. 69 in your Owner's manual.

O.K., thanks, I see that now. I never use the remote because I have everything I need set up on a universal remote. Besides, I find the remote (and the manual) very confusing. Call me old.

Thanks again for your help. I've learned a lot about my receiver.
post #5407 of 5687 Old 01-29-2012, 10:29 AM

I bought an AVR 2809 second hand and after a few weeks of "playing" with i would like to perform a factory reset so i can start from scratch with adjusting the system to my preferred settings.
Problem: I can not get the avr 2809 te perform its reset.
When i press the power, standard and dsp simulation buttons all together nothing happends? To be sure (got the tip from this topic) i disconnected all the HDMI cables so there is no input or output signal, what am i doing wrong

(excuse my poor english, i am from the netherlands)
post #5408 of 5687 Old 01-29-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosy View Post

Problem: I can not get the avr 2809 te perform its reset.
When i press the power, standard and dsp simulation buttons all together nothing happends? To be sure (got the tip from this topic) i disconnected all the HDMI cables so there is no input or output signal, what am i doing wrong

(excuse my poor english, i am from the netherlands)

Hi bosy, may sure to turn power off by pressing the ON/OFF power button (small button) and not the ON/STANDBY button (larger button).
post #5409 of 5687 Old 01-29-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi bosy, may sure to turn power off by pressing the ON/OFF power button (small button) and not the ON/STANDBY button (larger button).

YES. I had the same problem until I figured out I was pressing the wrong button. I didn't even know there were 2 buttons related to power.
post #5410 of 5687 Old 01-30-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

OMG
I feel kinda stupid

Thanks now i can start from scrath!
post #5411 of 5687 Old 02-12-2012, 06:18 AM

After the tips earlier given i performed the factory reset, thanks.

I have only one problem left. Whatever i am trying, i cannot get the "zone 3" to work.
I have 2 speakers build in at the ceiling of my kitchen.
At "Amp Assign" i made the choice for zone 3. With the little remote control i turn on zone 3 but it keeps very (too!!! ) silent in the kitchen.

When i look at menu -> status it just says that zone 3 is on and at the right source
(wires that you see are for testing, offcourse al the other wires are in the wall)

Please give me that winning tip
post #5412 of 5687 Old 02-12-2012, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosy View Post

After the tips earlier given i performed the factory reset, thanks.

I have only one problem left. Whatever i am trying, i cannot get the "zone 3" to work.
I have 2 speakers build in at the ceiling of my kitchen.
At "Amp Assign" i made the choice for zone 3. With the little remote control i turn on zone 3 but it keeps very (too!!! ) silent in the kitchen.

When i look at menu -> status it just says that zone 3 is on and at the right source
(wires that you see are for testing, offcourse al the other wires are in the wall)

Please give me that winning tip

Have you renamed a source input "media/pc" If so you need to press the button on the remote that corresponds to that source input. Make sure that the remote is pointing at the receiver - hope that helps.

post #5413 of 5687 Old 02-12-2012, 11:36 AM

Probably found the answer @ http://batpigworld.com/
(many, many info there!!)

Quote:

Zone 2 Questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q. How do I hook up a pair of Zone 2 speakers?

A. There are two ways to hook up Zone 2 speakers to your Denon AVR:

1. If you are only running 5.1 in your main zone, you can reassign your SURROUND BACK amplifiers to power the Zone 2 speakers. To do this, go to AMP ASSIGN and set the assignment to "Zone 2". With this setup, you will hook up your two surround speakers with normal speaker wire and connect them to the SURR.BACK LEFT/RIGHT speaker posts on the back of the receiver. The receiver will power the speakers, and you will also be able to control the volume for Zone 2 in the receiver.

2. The second option (and your only option if you are running 7.1 in the main zone) is to connect an external amplifier to the "ZONE 2 OUT" pre-outs on the back of your AVR. You will use standard RCA cables (red/white analog) to connect from the Zone 2 pre-outs to the inputs of your external amplifier. In this setup, the external amp will provide the power and volume control for the Zone 2 speakers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q. Okay, I hooked it up just like you said, turned on Zone 2, selected a source... but no sound! Whay am I doing wrong?

A. For all Denon receivers below the 28xx/9xx level, Zone 2 is ANALOG ONLY!!.
This means your cable box hooked up with optical audio, your PS3 hooked up with HDMI, etc. will NOT be output to Zone 2!

All is not lost, however. All you need to do is, for any source which you would like to output to Zone 2, just "double up" your connection by running a second set of analog RCA cables (red/white) from the analog outs of your source to the corresponding input on the back of the Denon.

For example, let's say you want to set it up so you can hear the football game on the deck using your patio speakers. Your cable box is hooked up to the "TV/CBL" input with HDMI. To get the Zone 2 speakers to work, you just have to run a pair of stereo RCA cables from the red/white output on the back of the cable box to the corresponding inputs labeled "TV/CBL" on the back of the Denon.

Now, when you select "TV/CBL" as the Zone 2 source, the Denon will be able to take the audio as it will automatically grab the audio from the analog inputs.

If you happen to have a 9xx, 28xx, 33xx or higher level model, then you can output digital audio to Zone 2 as long as it is 2.0 PCM via an S/PDIF connection (optical toslink or digital coax). So, practically, this will only really help with something like a CD player or MP3 player that is outputting two-channel digital PCM. It still won't do much for your cable box outputting Dolby Digital. And it still won't work with HDMI, only optical/coax. So, the analog cable solution described above is probably still your best bet.

Thanks for helping!
post #5414 of 5687 Old 02-13-2012, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I searched but I can't figure out from where to download firmware updates for my E3 2809ci. Thanks for any info.
post #5415 of 5687 Old 02-13-2012, 06:16 PM
585-645-1006

^^
If you use the "Search This Thread" button with the keyword "firmware update" one of the posts you would find would be the one linked below which explains the process ...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post20989213

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #5416 of 5687 Old 03-22-2012, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I want a nice pair of headphones to listen to tivo/popbox late at night. I have 989 amp. I spent some time on head-fi.org and saw both Dennon D5000 & D2000 well received. I placed an order at J&r for D2000 for just $225. Had to call them to get the price. But while they were on back order, Amazon stocked the D5000 for $380 via E-expo open box which is supposed to be considered new so I got that instead. My order is processing. Hopefully I made a good choice. My question-
Will I be plugging my headphones into phono plug jack of 989 or pre-out, some other output on 989 or am I better served hooking directly into source tivo/popbox? Since most of my content is surround sound, was there a headphone I should have bought that supports surround sound? Also important is that my headphones provide some level of isolation for car noise outside my apartment.
post #5417 of 5687 Old 03-23-2012, 03:00 AM
585-645-1006

^^
As the D5000 are "wired" and non-amplified headphones you would need to plug them into the headphone jack to add amplification. To plug them into either the Zone 2 preout or analog out, you would need a separate headphone amp. Another option would be "wireless" headphones which would have a built in amp that could be plugged into either the Zone 2 preout or analog out jacks. There are also surround sound headphones available as well. Really depends on whether your focus is pure audio music listening or gaming.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #5418 of 5687 Old 03-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

focus will be tv/movies mostly allot of which will be digital DT and DTS surround audio. Is the D5000 a poor choice do you think? Apparently how good the D5000 headphone will sound is largely dependent on amp driving it. Anyone know if phono jack out of 989 will provide good listening experience? The 989 amp has allot of power which is important right? People at headfi.org were reccomending buying portable amps to go with these headphones but I think they meant when the alternative was an mp3 player not a receiver like 989. It was also advised on headfi.org I sell off 989 and replace with Yamaha receiver that comes with Silent Cinema which is surround sound for headphones. An extreme solution that obviously doesn't appeal to me. I have pretty beefy speakers I use some of the time with my Dennon and am happy with the sound. Has anyone here listened to headphones with surround sound? Can they say it improves listening experience markedly? Also proposed at headfi.org was to use optical out of receiver into a Astro mix-amp. Anyone know much about such a device?
post #5419 of 5687 Old 03-28-2012, 08:30 PM

Denon has the option in Manual speaker setup to go with a single back surround but when running audyssey the auto setup only detects a single back Surround and throws a warning. The only options from there are retry or cancel. Is there any way to get around this?
post #5420 of 5687 Old 03-29-2012, 05:11 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Set the "Surround Back Speaker" setting to "1 spkr" (p. 27) and connect the speaker wire to the "L" Surr Back/Amp Assign speaker posts.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #5421 of 5687 Old 03-29-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:

^^
Set the "Surround Back Speaker" setting to "1 spkr" (p. 27) and connect the speaker wire to the "L" Surr Back/Amp Assign speaker posts.

Thanks for the reply. I finally figured it out last night myself. I had the speaker setting set to 1 but dammed if I could find anything in the manual or in the forums that mentioned using the left surround. I was using the right.
post #5422 of 5687 Old 03-29-2012, 08:36 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Yup ... second note on p. 10 under Speaker Connections.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #5423 of 5687 Old 03-29-2012, 07:34 PM

My HDP input on my 2809 has a white noise or power bleed static noise no matter what source is selected for it. I have trouble shot it by disconnecting all hdmi's and unplugging all electronics from the receiver and power except the 2809 and the amp with no change. All other inputs or channels no matter what hdmi source i select do not produce this noise. This was the input I used for Sagetv, my music and movie server. I have switched sage over to a new input source to get around the problem but I'm worried the receiver is some how damaged. Also if sagetv was the source that damaged it I'm worried I could damage another input. Any thoughts on what might be causing this?
post #5424 of 5687 Old 03-29-2012, 08:24 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Try resetting the microprocessor (p. 60) to see if that resolves the issue, otherwise it may be a bad HDMI input. It's possible that a power surge from the sage to the AVR could have caused the issue as the HDMI inputs are fairly sensitive to voltage spikes.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #5425 of 5687 Old 03-29-2012, 08:41 PM

Will this wipe out my Audyssey EQ's
post #5426 of 5687 Old 03-29-2012, 08:48 PM

well regardless that seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks for the help!
post #5427 of 5687 Old 03-29-2012, 08:57 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Yes .. it returns the AVR to factory default settings to include wiping out the Audyssey settings.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #5428 of 5687 Old 03-30-2012, 08:02 PM

Question I have the rear channel set up now but when listening to DTS-hd Master sound in Standard I'm not hearing any ambient sound from the rear. When 7 channel stereo is selected the speaker is producing sound. Also the display is showing the rear channel as on. Previously when I used the rear surround button the display would toggle between showing the rear surround and not showing the icon now it does not change. Also yesterday I could cycle through DTS neo matrix and Dolby pl2 Matrix when using the Standard button. Now it does not change from DTS-HD Master. Does this sound right. I have tried a micro chip reset with no change.
Thanks for the help.

Update
Very weird the standard surround modes are available with a Dolby true hd source but not with Dts hd master 5.1 I have checked the input signal chart at the back of the manual and they should be available. Looks like its the source other movies seem to be working fine weird.
post #5429 of 5687 Old 03-31-2012, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Got my Denon D5000 headphones. Sound good to me out of 989 headphone jack. I was wondering though. Is there a way I can switch between speakers/headphones from remote button instead of plugging unplugging phono plug?
post #5430 of 5687 Old 03-31-2012, 09:07 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Nope. Connecting to the headphone jack disables the main zone speakers. An alternative is to connect the headphones to a headphone preamp and connect that to the Zone 2 preouts. You can then turn Zone 2 ON/OFF with the remote.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page