"Official" Denon AVR 2809CI/989 Thread - Page 194 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #5791 of 5816 Old 02-24-2017, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3685 Post(s)
Liked: 3528
Johnny - The "Input Mode" command is not the same thing as "Input Select" where you pick a specific input name (like DVD, HDP, SAT etc).

Think of it like plumbing -- understand the distinction between the pipes coming in (inputs on the back) and the different "faucets" that come out (logical input names). When you assign inputs you are re-routing the plumbing.

Because of the multiple inputs and flexible input assignment options, you can have multiple input types associated with a specific name. For example you can have HDMI and optical and analog RCA input sources all connected to the "HDP" input. When you select that HDP input on your receiver, it's going to default to the "highest priority" input which is HDMI. The "Input Mode" setting you quoted above allows you to re-prioritize and force the optical or analog inputs to override the HDMI input. Following the plumbing analogy, you've got three pipes coming in (HDMI, optical, analog) and one faucet (the "HDP" input name) for output, but there's a valve that controls which of the three input pipes is actually connected to the faucet. The "Input Mode" command allows you to close the valve on the HDMI input and open it on the optical or analog input pipe.

That's totally separate from selecting a different faucet (i.e. switching from the "HDP" input source name to the "SAT" or "DVD" input).

So, back to your situation -- the optical feed back from your TV's smart apps should be thought of as a separate SOURCE that has it's own "faucet" (i.e. the "TV/CBL" input name). So you do NOT need any of those fancy Harmony commands to access it, you can simply switch your receiver to the "TV/CBL" input and it's now going to expect that optical input audio source.

I circled the TV/CBL input in yellow on this back panel image:

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5792 of 5816 Old 02-25-2017, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Johnny - The "Input Mode" command is not the same thing as "Input Select" where you pick a specific input name (like DVD, HDP, SAT etc).

Think of it like plumbing -- understand the distinction between the pipes coming in (inputs on the back) and the different "faucets" that come out (logical input names). When you assign inputs you are re-routing the plumbing.

Because of the multiple inputs and flexible input assignment options, you can have multiple input types associated with a specific name. For example you can have HDMI and optical and analog RCA input sources all connected to the "HDP" input. When you select that HDP input on your receiver, it's going to default to the "highest priority" input which is HDMI. The "Input Mode" setting you quoted above allows you to re-prioritize and force the optical or analog inputs to override the HDMI input. Following the plumbing analogy, you've got three pipes coming in (HDMI, optical, analog) and one faucet (the "HDP" input name) for output, but there's a valve that controls which of the three input pipes is actually connected to the faucet. The "Input Mode" command allows you to close the valve on the HDMI input and open it on the optical or analog input pipe.

That's totally separate from selecting a different faucet (i.e. switching from the "HDP" input source name to the "SAT" or "DVD" input).

So, back to your situation -- the optical feed back from your TV's smart apps should be thought of as a separate SOURCE that has it's own "faucet" (i.e. the "TV/CBL" input name). So you do NOT need any of those fancy Harmony commands to access it, you can simply switch your receiver to the "TV/CBL" input and it's now going to expect that optical input audio source.

I circled the TV/CBL input in yellow on this back panel image:

I think that some of my confusion has been thinking that to watch and listen to the TV apps while optical sound is going to the receiver, that I would have to have the HDMI input of my DTV HR34 (which is HDMI 3 Sat) selected. But to watch the TV apps I don't need the HR34 at all. So hook up the TV optical out of TV/CBL and add a new named source for that to the receiver. When selected the TV apps video will not be sent to the receiver, but who cares. The audio will be sent via optical.

Do I have that right?
post #5793 of 5816 Old 02-26-2017, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by robusto400 View Post
Great information guys (better than from Denon). I agree the HDMI is overriding the optical signal. As JD suggested I switched Input mode to "Digital" under TV/CBL source and I did get the TV app audio through the optical connection BUT when I switched back to normal DTV connection the sound disappeared even though the HDMI connection was still there. I then switched Input mode back to AUTO, turned off the DTV box and powered up the TV and played the apps and the audio came through fine via the optical connection. So what I take away from this is what you both suggested, I will need to set up a separate SOURCE and set the assignment as HDMI IN as NONE and DIGITAL IN as OPT 1. I will then need to set up separate activity on my Harmony One to turn on TV and AVR only. Do you agree? Although somewhat inconvenient for switching back and forth from TV apps to DTV it will buy we some time to see what I want with ARC and other upgrades. Thanks so much.
My problem with using the Optical Out of the TV to replace the ARC which the 2809CI doesn't support was my thick skull. I'd read the above and kept wondering where the picture would come from. Then Batpig's last post finally penetrated the dark, deep recesses of my brain. When watching the Apps on a smart TV, the TV is supplying not only the sound but the picture. So I cabled up the optical and followed the above instructions and it works.

BTW, what level of sound is the optical cable capable of passing?

post #5794 of 5816 Old 02-26-2017, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14343 Post(s)
Liked: 6769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell View Post
My problem with using the Optical Out of the TV to replace the ARC which the 2809CI doesn't support was my thick skull. I'd read the above and kept wondering where the picture would come from. Then Batpig's last post finally penetrated the dark, deep recesses of my brain. When watching the Apps on a smart TV, the TV is supplying not only the sound but the picture. So I cabled up the optical and followed the above instructions and it works.

BTW, what level of sound is the optical cable capable of passing?
Capable of PCM 2.0 or DD 5.1 but what it actually can pass will depend on your TV.
post #5795 of 5816 Old 02-27-2017, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 3685 Post(s)
Liked: 3528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell View Post
I think that some of my confusion has been thinking that to watch and listen to the TV apps while optical sound is going to the receiver, that I would have to have the HDMI input of my DTV HR34 (which is HDMI 3 Sat) selected. But to watch the TV apps I don't need the HR34 at all. So hook up the TV optical out of TV/CBL and add a new named source for that to the receiver. When selected the TV apps video will not be sent to the receiver, but who cares. The audio will be sent via optical.

Do I have that right?
Correct, as far as the receiver is concerned the "TV Audio" is just another named source, no different than a DVD player or a PS3. Just another input, nothing to do with the DTV box.
Johnny Angell likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #5796 of 5816 Old 07-11-2017, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello. I'm new here and only found this forum because of Google. I have a Denon AVR-2809cl. I have owned it for a few years but have never had the time to hook it up (it was a gift). So anyway, I have an old 53" Hitachi rear projection HD TV that I use in my rec room normally to watch Cable tv and streaming from Kodi via a computer I have dedicated just for watching TV. This TV is about 15 years old but still has a great picture. Best connection it has is component so I hooked up everything else with component except the PC which is S-Video and L+R Audio.

Today I decided to hook up the Denon. I followed set-up directions and have a combination of Technics front speakers and an old set of Kenwood surround speakers with sub. I also connected an old Technics CD player and a cassette player along with a stand alone DVD player and connections from the PC plus my digital HD cable box. I ran the speaker set-up with the provided mic and everything is good to go.

Cable is working fine but seems to be in Stereo mode. No picture from DVD or PC connection. CD is working ok. Haven't tried cassette yet (just connected it because it was there.)

I don't seem to have the remote set up properly. Keeps flashing "AMP" in upper left corner of remote and can't seem to OK it with remote.

In over my head a bit here (Old school) but would love to get this system set up properly.

Is there a simple step by step to get this done?

Thank you for any assistance ... Glenn
post #5797 of 5816 Old 07-11-2017, 12:21 PM

Sorry... but what is the smaller remote used for?
post #5798 of 5816 Old 07-11-2017, 12:31 PM

An AVR cannot convert an HDMI signal from a source (ie. cable box) to component video (TV), rather you either need to purchase a 3rd party device that can do this or connect component video cables from the source to the AVR and then connect component video cables from the AVR to the TV.

The smaller remote is used for Zones 2/3 operation.
post #5799 of 5816 Old 07-11-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
An AVR cannot convert an HDMI signal from a source (ie. cable box) to component video (TV), rather you either need to purchase a 3rd party device that can do this or connect component video cables from the source to the AVR and then connect component video cables from the AVR to the TV.

The smaller remote is used for Zones 2/3 operation.
My cable box has different output connectors. I have connected the component to the AVR and component from the AVR to the TV. This is working ok. The problem is with the component from the DVD (sound but no picture) and the S-Video and L-R audio from the PC.

Thanks for your time... Glenn
post #5800 of 5816 Old 07-11-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackstar57 View Post
My cable box has different output connectors. I have connected the component to the AVR and component from the AVR to the TV. This is working ok. The problem is with the component from the DVD (sound but no picture) and the S-Video and L-R audio from the PC.

Thanks for your time... Glenn
If you are using component video cables, then you must also be using analog audio cables which can only pass stereo 2.0 audio (ie. you must use either HDMI or optical/coax digital to pass multi channel audio). Try the other component video inputs for the DVD no picture issue.
post #5801 of 5816 Old 07-11-2017, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked: 923
Quote:
Cable is working fine but seems to be in Stereo mode. No picture from DVD or PC connection. CD is working ok. Haven't tried cassette yet (just connected it because it was there.)
How is cable connected to Denon for sound?

Afro GT
post #5802 of 5816 Old 07-11-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
If you are using component video cables, then you must also be using analog audio cables which can only pass stereo 2.0 audio (ie. you must use either HDMI or optical/coax digital to pass multi channel audio). Try the other component video inputs for the DVD no picture issue.
Ok. I see the stereo issue. I can hook up HDMI from the cable box to the AVR but it quoted in the owner's manual that it cannot down grade from HDMI to a lesser input... only upgrade. So I figured it wouldn't work.
post #5803 of 5816 Old 07-11-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
How is cable connected to Denon for sound?
Cable, DVD, PC and CD are all connected with component for video and left/right analog cables for audio. I don't have any other cables right now. I just can't figure out why the cable box works with component plus audio but the DVD only has sound while the PC with S-Video and analog audio has nothing...
post #5804 of 5816 Old 07-11-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Ok. I see the stereo issue. I can hook up HDMI from the cable box to the AVR but it quoted in the owner's manual that it cannot down grade from HDMI to a lesser input... only upgrade. So I figured it wouldn't work.
Correct. It wouldn't; however, you can connect an optical or coax digital cable from the sources (eg. cable box) and pass DD/DTS 5.1 audio that way.
post #5805 of 5816 Old 07-11-2017, 01:22 PM

It's possible the component inputs are not assigned correctly.

what happens if you plug the DVD player into the cable input. Does it work there?

Afro GT
post #5806 of 5816 Old 07-11-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Correct. It wouldn't; however, you can connect an optical or coax digital cable from the sources (eg. cable box) and pass DD/DTS 5.1 audio that way.
I'll see if I can find a digital cable... Thanks
post #5807 of 5816 Old 07-11-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
It's possible the component inputs are not assigned correctly.

what happens if you plug the DVD player into the cable input. Does it work there?
I will try that. Thanks
post #5808 of 5816 Old 07-12-2017, 07:29 AM

I'm back. I figured out the problem with the DVD player. It was something in the player's settings. PC input had a loose S_Video cable at the PC. Picture and sound but got some wavy red lines throughout the picture, probably an old or worn out cable. Tried adding an HDMI cable from Cable box to AVR just to see what would happen. Warning came up telling me I couldn't do that. Didn't make any diff to sound that I could tell.

The one curious thing is that in Cable box mode it lists stereo underneath but in DVD mode, which is using the same type of component cables as the Cable box lists the complete 7.1 surround system is available???

Still having trouble understanding these 2 different remotes... why di I need 2? I still can't figure how to change the input from the remote, have to switch manually from the front AVR panel..

Thanks for your patience ... Glenn
post #5809 of 5816 Old 07-12-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I'm back. I figured out the problem with the DVD player. It was something in the player's settings. PC input had a loose S_Video cable at the PC. Picture and sound but got some wavy red lines throughout the picture, probably an old or worn out cable. Tried adding an HDMI cable from Cable box to AVR just to see what would happen. Warning came up telling me I couldn't do that. Didn't make any diff to sound that I could tell.

The one curious thing is that in Cable box mode it lists stereo underneath but in DVD mode, which is using the same type of component cables as the Cable box lists the complete 7.1 surround system is available???

Still having trouble understanding these 2 different remotes... why di I need 2? I still can't figure how to change the input from the remote, have to switch manually from the front AVR panel..

Thanks for your patience ... Glenn
As I said previously ... the smaller remote is used when you have Zone 2 and/or Zone 3 speakers connected and you want to use a dedicated report just for those setups.
post #5810 of 5816 Old 07-12-2017, 11:18 AM

the main remote is the same one I have for my 3808CI. You'll probably never use the 2nd remote.

to change inputs you use the buttons on the bottom the the remote labeled 1-9. It tells you on each button what input it is. the buttons are circled in blue

To change from Stereo to another sound mode press the Home button on the remote then one of the sound modes at the botton part of the LCD screen. The STD button should give you Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic or DTS:neo and use all connected speakers. If you press the SIMU button it will cycle thru several DSP and sound modes. You may want to select 7 channel stereo, the rest of those modes I don't use.

Afro GT
post #5811 of 5816 Old 07-12-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
As I said previously ... the smaller remote is used when you have Zone 2 and/or Zone 3 speakers connected and you want to use a dedicated report just for those setups.
Ok, thank you. I have just the 7 plus sub so I won't need the second remote.
post #5812 of 5816 Old 07-12-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
the main remote is the same one I have for my 3808CI. You'll probably never use the 2nd remote.

to change inputs you use the buttons on the bottom the the remote labeled 1-9. It tells you on each button what input it is. the buttons are circled in blue

To change from Stereo to another sound mode press the Home button on the remote then one of the sound modes at the botton part of the LCD screen. The STD button should give you Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic or DTS:neo and use all connected speakers. If you press the SIMU button it will cycle thru several DSP and sound modes. You may want to select 7 channel stereo, the rest of those modes I don't use.
When I press the home button all I see are the options at the top of the LCD and in a box in the lower half there are 2 buttons... on or off. Neither do anything.
post #5813 of 5816 Old 07-13-2017, 12:21 AM

Then press the AMP button at the top of the LCD. What happens next?

Afro GT
post #5814 of 5816 Old 07-13-2017, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Then press the AMP button at the top of the LCD. What happens next?
Getting somewhere now. When I pressed the Amp button it lit up the 3 quick choice options (which I assume are the same as the 3 on the front panel). Then when I clicked the home button it gave me 12 new buttons to configure the speakers. I pressed the 7CH button and my surround speakers came online.

Thank you afrogt. I'm going to play around some more today and see what I come up with...
post #5815 of 5816 Old 07-13-2017, 12:18 PM

Glad it worked. All this stuff is in the owners manual by the way.

If you don't have one you can download it here.
https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im...033AV2809C.PDF

Afro GT
post #5816 of 5816 Old 07-13-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Glad it worked. All this stuff is in the owners manual by the way.

If you don't have one you can download it here.
https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im...033AV2809C.PDF
Thanks again. I realize it's all in the manual but I started getting confused right at the beginning when running the initial set-up and I couldn't get the remote to work properly and then the loose S-vid cable along with the DVD player settings ... I just figured there would be a higher seniority trouble shooter in the crowd to get me back on the right track... and you did. Thanks Man...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page