"Official" Denon AVR 2809CI/989 Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 5676 Old 12-17-2008, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted the following question in the Audyssey thread yesterday and did not get any specific response. I'll try again here.

I just got a Denon 2809 and ran Audyssey setup last night. The front, center and surround speakers are small Energy Take 5.2. The surround backs are small polk speakers. All speakers are wall mounted except the center. The sub is a Energy 10.2 which I believe it will go up to 120Hz. The 'room' is a portion of the basement with front to back ~13'. Audyssey came up with the following crossover settings and all speakers are set to small:

Front 150Hz
Center 200Hz
Surround 200Hz
Surround back 60Hz
LFE 80Hz

My questions are:

1. When Audyssey performs the calibration, does it consider the performance of the sub?

2. Based on the above settings, does it mean that the front will play everything above 150Hz and send everything below to the sub which may only go up to 120Hz? Also since the LFE crossover is at 80Hz, do I miss 'something' between 80Hz and 150Hz from the front speakers. Similarly for the center and surround.

I have not done enough movie watching to see if I like the settings but I just like to understand a bit more what the system does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 5676 Old 12-17-2008, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
Munk, I think will find your answer in this discussion:

batpig posted: (copied onto 1909 thread by Soundof Mind from 2309 thread, #640http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=15183649#post15183649):

1. The whole point of Audyssey is to compensate for acoustics of your specific room, and due to those acoustics the calculated -3dB point (where Audyssey sets its crossover) could be above or below the manufacturer's specs. Audyssey is just reporting the results of its measurements.

Anyway, it is a known issue that Audyssey will sometimes set the crossovers too low, and it is in fact encouraged to raise up your crossovers a bit, and set speakers to SMALL, as few speakers are that effective below 80Hz.

As a starting point, I would probably raise your Monitor 5's to 60Hz and change them to SMALL, leave the center at 80Hz, and raise the surrounds to 80Hz. Tweak if necessary from there...

2. The subwoofer crossover is a low-pass filter for LFE signals, it doesn't have much to do with the bass management (it just "tops off" the LFE signals from multichannel soundtracks) so don't worry about it. Most people recommend raising it to 110 or 120Hz just to allow more room for LFE.

3. Even if a speaker is set to LARGE, it is assigned a crossover frequency because if you set your sub to LFE+MAIN the subwoofer will "double up" the bass on speakers set to LARGE. Again, you should probably just set them to SMALL manually.

Pretty much all of your questions are common Audyssey issues and you'd be well served to read through the first 20 pages and the most recent 10-20 pages of the official Audyssey thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=795421

Also read this step-by-step write-up on setting up Audyssey, compiled here at AVS... it covers the crossover issues very well:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895

And here is the Audyssey FAQ from Audyssey:
http://www.audyssey.com/faq/index.html

There's yet more at another batpig post:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post15018218:
Here's some info I thought was useful from the official Audyssey thread to help allay confusion about LFE vs. LFE+MAIN, and general bass management in Denons:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry523
Mains - Large
Sub - LFE
In this setup, the mains run full-range, no bass is redirected to the sub from the L/R channels. The sub only gets the LFE channel. The crossover setting in this setup is ignored.

Mains - Large
Sub - LFE+Mains
In this setup, the mains run full-range as before, the sub gets the LFE channel. However, in this arrangement the frequencies below the mains crossover setting are sent the mains AND the sub. This is the so-called "double bass."

Mains - Small
Sub - LFE or LFE+Mains doesn't matter
Here, the mains only play frequencies above whatever their crossover is set to. Anything below the crossover is redirected to the sub. The sub plays the LFE channel and the redirected bass from the mains regardless of what you set it to.
and this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aiken
Denon's Large/Small distinction is one between running the speaker full range or not.

The LFE/LFE+Main option only works for Large speakers. It does nothing for small speakers which always have their bass handled by the sub. With large speakers it simply offers the option of having the sub double the frequencies below the chosen crossover (LFE+Main) or having the sub not handle any bass for the speaker (LFE).
So what these settings really mean is:
Large/Small: This turns bass management on and off. Small speakers have their bass managed by the sub while large speakers do not.
LFE/LFE+Main: This is the "double bass" toggle for large speakers. LFE+Main turns double bass on for frequencies below the crossover you specify, and LFE turns it off. This option doesn't do anything with Small speakers. It only works for Large speakers.

The "Sub Crossover" is actually an LPF filter setting applying only to the content of the disc's LFE channel if it has one. It doesn't affect moving any part of the sound between the sub and the speakers. It simply controls the upper limit of LFE channel material being handled by the sub and the LFE channel is always handled by the sub if you have one.
So set the speakers to Small, choose a suitable crossover frequency, and set the "Sub Crossover" to 120 Hz and you should be hearing things as the mastering engineer intended.
hopefully that helps somebody who is confused about the sub settings and how the sub crossover is NOT the same as the general bass management settings! If I could add it to the FAQ I would...

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #1173 of 5676 Old 12-17-2008, 12:32 PM

SoundofMind, Thanks.

My problem is that Denon/Audyssey seems to set the crossover for the speakers to be too high and I am concerned with the sub not able to play nice between 120~200 Hz. Even if it does, it will be more localized.
post #1174 of 5676 Old 12-17-2008, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
If you live in Asia/ Australia and need a 220v version, KEC in Singapore will ship
SING$ 1500 with a free ASD 3N (current promotion) before shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeveraggi View Post

Hi guys! I need some help.
Can anyone point me to the best deal for the 2809, without using a coupon?
I know the 6ave $749 offer is great, but due to some restrictions I have living abroad I cannot take advantage of it.
I cannot seem to find anything below $999 from any other well known shop, and don't want to pay more than $850.
Thanks for your help, hope I'm not breaking any forum rules.

post #1175 of 5676 Old 12-17-2008, 05:37 PM

Thanks for your help SoundofMind and petetherock
I currently reside in Mexico City.
It's kind of a long, boring and irrational story , but to keep it short let's say I can:
-Buy from any respected store in the US (amazon, 6ave, CCity, BBuy, etc...) that accepts international credit cards issued outside the US.
-Buy from any respected store in the US (amazon, 6ave, CCity, BBuy, etc...) that only accepts US issued cards, as long as they don't require the use of a coupon.
I cannot take advantage of the 6ave offer because they only accept US issued cards, but require the use of a coupon.

Just trying to learn...
post #1176 of 5676 Old 12-17-2008, 05:52 PM

Hey guys I need help. Looking at some new speakers for this baby, and in the manual it says it needs 6-8 ohm... but audio guys at my local home theater store say 4ohms are fine too. Whats the deal? I don't know much about this stuff
post #1177 of 5676 Old 12-17-2008, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkeung View Post

SoundofMind, Thanks.

My problem is that Denon/Audyssey seems to set the crossover for the speakers to be too high and I am concerned with the sub not able to play nice between 120~200 Hz. Even if it does, it will be more localized.

OK, Munk. First I am no Audyssey expert. Second, I recommend that you spend some time listening to some varied material, preferably that you are familiar with, to see if it sounds like your speakers all "play nice" & if the bass is localized to the front or to the sub. Listen with Audyssey on & off, DynEQ on & off, skip AutoVol for now. In other words HOW IT SOUNDS is most important. If you followed the setup directions carefully you should get a good result in SQ.

I can offer the following in response to your questions:
1. Yes the sub & sub settings matter for Audyssey set up, hence the detailed instructions about sub placement and where to set volume, xover and phase on the sub prior to running autosetup. You should review those instructions and your settings to check for errors. Also pay attention to the levels autosetup assigned to each speaker & the sub, making sure none exceed +/- 11.
2. My understanding is that there is little in LFE over 120 to miss and it apparently doesn't matter for most setups.
Reread the material I posted, it answers the rest of your questions.

post #1178 of 5676 Old 12-17-2008, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexaNF View Post

Hey guys I need help. Looking at some new speakers for this baby, and in the manual it says it needs 6-8 ohm... but audio guys at my local home theater store say 4ohms are fine too. Whats the deal? I don't know much about this stuff

i would say its fine for 4ohms but at lower volume levels. If you blast it to much the amp will get VERY warm. It may also clip depending on how low the speakers impedence dips. Remember if you get 4ohm speakers thats just a nominal rating. They will go lower and higher. When they go lower your amp is at a much greater risk of clipping and that can potentially damage your speakers. Also separate amps tend to sound better than internal receiver amps. They will allow you to play your music/movies much louder without worries. Like i said low volumes is fine, but at 4ohms a receivers amps tends to choke the SQ of the speaker.

For a great amplifier solution check out the emotiva amps. www.emotiva.com for questions www.emotivalounge.com
Fantastic value and performance. I have owned several of their amps the the perfomance boost they gave to my 4ohm VA Mozart Grands was night and day.
post #1179 of 5676 Old 12-17-2008, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexaNF View Post

There's been considerable discussion on the Denon (1909, 2309,2809) threads on this issue, just search each thread for "4 ohm". Basically, the more speakersthat are 4 ohm, the less efficient they are, the bigger the room, the louder you like it, the less amp power and no powered sub would all be potential risk factors for potential problems. What speakers you lookin at? there's plenty to chose without going to 4 ohm and external power amps.

post #1180 of 5676 Old 12-17-2008, 07:22 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
DenonJeff has confirmed that Denon will not provide any firmware updates via their website for any models below the 3808. That said, I noticed on the IPOD compatibility chart on the Denon website, that there was to be a firmware update available in Oct to resolve a video display problem when using the IPOD docking station. If you are experiencing the following problem and are interested in receiving this update, please PM me with your email address (please do not provide a yahoo or gmail address), which must be capable of receiving a .zip attachment (consisting of an .exe file). If necessary, please create a free hotmail address and use that. You will need a DB9 serial/USB cable connected to the RS 232 jack on the 2809/989/2309 to install the update from a laptop. Please also read my 2808 firmware update post only to understand how the update will be applied.

THESE FIRMWARE UPDATES ARE FOR NORTH AMERICAN (USA/CANADA) MODELS ONLY
Ver 0070 (2309) and Ver 0071 (2809/989) correct the following:
Issue: With the latest iPods/iPhones, the iPods will not display video or charge the devices unless the control cable is removed from the ASD-11R dock.

Ver 0070 (2309)
Issue: There is a MULT EQ issue (boomy bass) that is resolved. The 2809/989 has MULTEQ XT and therefore does not experience this problem.

For 2809/989 Owner's
Once installed the Main Ver will read 00.65. Any Main Ver lower than that number will most likely have the above iPod Video. In order to check your Main Ver, turn the AVR all the way OFF (not in Standby). Then turn the power of the AVR-2809/989 on, while holding both [STATUS] button and [RETURN] button on the front panel simultaneously. After the unit powers on, each time the STATUS button is pressed, it will cycle through the various software version numbers including the MAIN VER.

For 2309 Owner's
Once installed the Main Ver will read 00.90. Any Main Ver lower than that number will most likely have these issues. In order to check your Main Ver, while the AVR is ON, turn the AVR all the way OFF (not in Standby). Then turn the power of the AVR-2309 on, while holding both [DYN VOL] button and [VIDEO SELECT] button on the front panel simultaneously. After the unit powers on, each time the STATUS button is pressed, it will cycle through the various software version numbers including the MAIN VER.

For 889 and 1909/789 Owner's
The information in the 2309 paragraph above applies to you as well; however, you'll have to ship your AVR to an Authorized Repair Center in order to have the firmware update installed.

Notes:
(1) These updates are what Denon calls "unofficial" updates, as although they are developed, tested, and being provided by Denon (via DenonJeff), they cannot be downloaded from their website (as "official" updates can be for the 3808 and higher models). If you aren't experiencing any of the problems noted in this post, there's no reason to install the update, however, there should be no harm in installing it to ensure you have the latest firmware either. You can also send the AVR in to an Authorized Repair Center for the update as well if you prefer. Either way, the same update would be installed ... by installing it yourself, you save the time and money of having to ship it out.

(2) The European (EU) model updates can be downloaded from this site. Ensure the update is the most current version noted above.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #1181 of 5676 Old 12-17-2008, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 72
jdsmoothie, is there a way to tell what firmware version the 2809 currently has?

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #1182 of 5676 Old 12-17-2008, 08:22 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post

jdsmoothie, is there a way to tell what firmware version the 2809 currently has?

The procedure should be the same as the 2808 which is:

1. Turn the 2809 completely OFF (not in standby) using the ON/OFF button.
2. Then while pressing the STATUS and RETURN buttons (open the front panel door to access these buttons), press the ON/OFF button and the 2809 will go into Standby mode. Release the STATUS AND RETURN buttons.
3. Press the ON/Standby button to turn the AVR ON
4. Each time the STATUS button is then pressed, you will cycle through the following: Serial Number, Main Ver #, Sub Ver #, DSP1 Ver#, and DSP2 Ver #. To exit this mode, turn the 2809completely OFF using the ON/OFF button and back on again.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #1183 of 5676 Old 12-18-2008, 05:39 AM

I see a bunch of new folks purchasing the Denon. 2809. I will give my current setup and first impression.
Denon 2809, Denon POA2400(About 17 yr old amp-Very clean Just using for the front left and right channels B&W 640 speakers-Pre out from the 2809)
Klipsch center, Klipsch surrounds and a Mirage 12" sub.

Add ons PS3, Progressive Pioneer DVD, and HD DVR comcast Cable.

I was very very stubborn about reading the manual......But I think everyone will have to.

I like how you can rename the inputs to Display.

DVD->Renamed PS3 -> hdmi 1
HDP->Renamed Cable TV -> hdmi 2
TV/CBL -> Renamed DVD ->Componet in/optical

So right now I have 3 total inputs.
I had to reread to setup the quick select. Hold the quick select for 3 seconds... so now I have these 3 items setup as my quick selects. Wife and kids can pick them easily.

I tested via the PS3 "Transformers". It was fantastic. ( I moved up from a Denon AVR 2700) Even the wife said it sounded great(better).

More equal across the front. Audessey did a great job on auto setup.

I did set the HDMI passthrough so during regular evening news etc. we just watch with the 2809 in the standby position and hear audio via the TV.

I did pickup up the Ipod docking station. Will work on setting that up this weekend.

Also have to find how to setup other listening ways. Example. While listening to a regular CD(music only) I had only 2 channel stereo with no sub. I was able to get 5 channel but did perfer 2 channel. Would like to get the sub to work with this setup.

All great so far.
Thanks for Johnavr and batpig for responding to my other posts. I hope I can help out more now also.

Question. Does the Audssey light supposed to turn green at times. Mine always has been red? I did not search about this at all yet

Dennis
post #1184 of 5676 Old 12-18-2008, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Bow,
Yes, I usually prefer Stereo (Direct/Stereo) button (manual p. 42)which utilizes the sub, but sometimes use 5 ch.
See manual p46 for DynEQ/Vol: Green=DynVol as you toggle thru.

post #1185 of 5676 Old 12-18-2008, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtye8 View Post

Question. Does the Audssey light supposed to turn green at times. Mine always has been red? I did not search about this at all yet

Dennis

Tap DYN on remote couple of times. It will cycle through modes. When listening to stereo sources with a 5.0 system try using Dolby Pro Logic IIx or DTS Neo:6 Surround, via tapping STD button on remote. You might be surprised how good these modes sound that take a stereo source and expands it to 5.1-channel audio.

Oppo Beta Group
post #1186 of 5676 Old 12-18-2008, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Bow,
Yes, I usually prefer Stereo (Direct/Stereo) button (manual p. 42)which utilizes the sub, but sometimes use 5 ch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

..When listening to stereo sources with a 5.0 system try using Dolby Pro Logic IIx or DTS Neo:6 Surround, via tapping STD button on remote. You might be surprised how good these modes sound that take a stereo source and expands it to 5.1-channel audio.

Good point, John, I was speaking of using the Stereo mode to listen to 2 ch music off of a CD, and using the sub (along with Audyssey Flat)-sounds great. I agree with your recommendations for his Comcast HD DVR sources. With my att uverse DVR sometimes I am amazed at howat the Denon can do synthesize 5.1 ch from a 2 ch soundtrack in the modes you suggested.

post #1187 of 5676 Old 12-18-2008, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGUSA View Post

While viewing the Denon website I came across the warning below. It is unbelievable that some sellers would do something like this, but if Denon is posting a warning it must be happening.

Copied in-part from the Denon website:

WARNING TO VALUED CONSUMERS:

The warranty on DENON Electronics products is NOT VALID if the products have been purchased from an unauthorized dealer/on-line E-tailer or if the original factory serial number has been removed, defaced or replaced in any way. Recently DENON Electronics has become aware of numerous instances in which such serial number tampering has occurred. Unauthorized dealers/on-line E-tailers and/or their suppliers frequently alter the serial numbers in an effort to prevent manufacturers from tracing the supplier source...

Buy it using Amex. You get a better coverage though them anyways.
post #1188 of 5676 Old 12-18-2008, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

While viewing the Denon website I came across the warning below. It is unbelievable that some sellers would do something like this, but if Denon is posting a warning it must be happening.

Copied in-part from the Denon website:

WARNING TO VALUED CONSUMERS:

The warranty on DENON Electronics products is NOT VALID if the products have been purchased from an unauthorized dealer/on-line E-tailer or if the original factory serial number has been removed, defaced or replaced in any way. Recently DENON Electronics has become aware of numerous instances in which such serial number tampering has occurred. Unauthorized dealers/on-line E-tailers and/or their suppliers frequently alter the serial numbers in an effort to prevent manufacturers from tracing the supplier source...

Maybe it's just their way of scaring people into buying from authorized dealers only.

Considering the lowest price from a authorized dealer was $749, you can't be too scared. But Denon has maintained this policy for years.

They are just trying to maintain some control over where their product is sold, the pricing, and verify that the dealer can suppport the product they sell. Too often a no name dealer sells a product and provides no servicing support, hence why a lot of them try to sell their own additional servicing plan coverage to make money.

Frequently the party that you buy a Denon from online is a Denon dealer for their location. Contact Denon to find out their correct status as the Denon website is not always up to date as far as dealers.

Oppo Beta Group
post #1189 of 5676 Old 12-18-2008, 09:11 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

Buy it using Amex. You get a better coverage though them anyways.

AMEX, VISA, and MC all offer an extended warranty (generally free of charge) which effectively doubles the mfr's warranty up to 1 year. However, most likely with all three of them but certainly with AMEX, the Extended Warranty program only begins after the original mfr warranty has ended, regardless of whether the mfr is honoring the warranty or not. So in this instance, you'd have to wait 2 years before AMEX would step in to assist with any issues with a Denon AVR.

post #1190 of 5676 Old 12-18-2008, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 894
Quote:

DVD->Renamed PS3 -> hdmi 1
HDP->Renamed Cable TV -> hdmi 2
TV/CBL -> Renamed DVD ->Componet in/optical

what's done is done, but why didn't you just leave the "DVD" as "DVD", the "TV" as "TV", and rename "HDP" to "PS3"? kinda playing musical chairs with the names, there!

Quote:

Also have to find how to setup other listening ways. Example. While listening to a regular CD(music only) I had only 2 channel stereo with no sub. I was able to get 5 channel but did perfer 2 channel. Would like to get the sub to work with this setup.

Dennis - there is a sub-menu in the MANUAL SETUP under AUDIO OPTIONS called "2 CH DIRECT/STEREO". Here you set up specifically how you want things to work when playing 2-channel as 2-channel stereo. Put it on "LFE+MAIN" there just in case, sometimes that helps the sub kick in if the source tricks the Denon (for example, the PS3 will sometimes send 2-channel music as 7.1 PCM with "blank" channels).

Note that when in "Direct" mode there will be NO bass management, so if you don't have speakers that can handle bass make sure to use "STEREO" mode for 2-channel listening.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #1191 of 5676 Old 12-18-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

what's done is done, but why didn't you just leave the "DVD" as "DVD", the "TV" as "TV", and rename "HDP" to "PS3"? kinda playing musical chairs with the names, there!

Yea I was thinking keeping it simple in order. Ps3 #1 cable tv #2....Its doent matter. So for all others out there....Like batpig said I could have left them. cause you can rename and pick how its inputted via HDMI,componet, S-video etc....

Dennis - there is a sub-menu in the MANUAL SETUP under AUDIO OPTIONS called "2 CH DIRECT/STEREO". Here you set up specifically how you want things to work when playing 2-channel as 2-channel stereo. Put it on "LFE+MAIN" there just in case, sometimes that helps the sub kick in if the source tricks the Denon (for example, the PS3 will sometimes send 2-channel music as 7.1 PCM with "blank" channels).

Note that when in "Direct" mode there will be NO bass management, so if you don't have speakers that can handle bass make sure to use "STEREO" mode for 2-channel listening.

Will scope this out this evening. Thanks. My speakers can handle pretty good but was looking for a tad extra punch. Well after watching transformers with the sub and then listening to a cd without the sub. I was able to hear the difference.
post #1192 of 5676 Old 12-18-2008, 12:57 PM

So what is the option to "Copy Base Curve" about in the Manual EQ settings? The manual is pretty much worthless and I don't feel like losing all of my custom crap I've done.....
post #1193 of 5676 Old 12-18-2008, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 894
It allows you to use the "FLAT" Audyssey EQ values as your baseline starting point for the Manual EQ, rather than starting from scratch.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #1194 of 5676 Old 12-18-2008, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Has anyone heard the Denon 2309 and 2809 head to head?
Which sounded better to your ears? Or was there any difference in sound quality??

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #1195 of 5676 Old 12-18-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post

Has anyone heard the Denon 2309 and 2809 head to head?
Which sounded better to your ears? Or was there any difference in sound quality??

I owned the 2309CI for a few weeks before upgrading to the 2809CI. To my ears there is a noticable difference, especially with music. I believe the better quality sound is caused by several of the upgrades that you get over the 2309CI.

1. AL24 processing
2. Burr-Brown DACs (PCM-1791), (DSD-1608)
3. Audyssey MultEQ XT versus the 2309's Audyssey MultEQ
4. 2-21366 x 1 and 21367 x 1 32-bit Floating Point Processors versus the 2309's 1 - 21367 32-bit Floating Point Processor ( I don't know if this actually helps the sound quality, but two has got to be better than one)

The 2809CI has 15-watts per channel more than the 2309CI, but I don't really believe it would make a difference in what you hear.

I believe numbers 1 and 2 would make the greatest difference in sound quality that you could hear over the 2309CI. What is the opinion from you other 2809CI owners?
post #1196 of 5676 Old 12-19-2008, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Mine has just arrived yesterday
During this weekend, I'll be setting it up and will be posting my initial impressions soon. BTW, my current AVR is a 3806... Let's see what's gonna happen, though.

regards, Chuck

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
post #1197 of 5676 Old 12-19-2008, 04:49 AM

so overall would everyone say they are very satisfied with the 2809? I am getting it this week and will be hooking it up to my klipsch RF-82, RC-62, RB-51, and rw-10d. IF anyone has a similar system....how do you like it
post #1198 of 5676 Old 12-19-2008, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avliner View Post

Mine has just arrived yesterday
During this weekend, I'll be setting it up and will be posting my initial impressions soon. BTW, my current AVR is a 3806... Let's see what's gonna happen, though.

regards, Chuck

I have the 3805.
I am guessing I will see a noticeable improvement if I go the route of 2809.

post #1199 of 5676 Old 12-19-2008, 05:06 AM

I went from a 3802 to a 2809 and completely satisfied.

post #1200 of 5676 Old 12-19-2008, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I owned the 2309CI for a few weeks before upgrading to the 2809CI. To my ears there is a very noticable difference, especially with music. I believe the better quality sound is caused by several of the upgrades that you get over the 2309CI.

1. AL24 processing
2. Burr-Brown DACs (PCM-1791), (DSD-1608)
3. Audyssey MultEQ XT versus the 2309's Audyssey MultEQ
4. 2-21366 x 1 and 21367 x 1 32-bit Floating Point Processors versus the 2309's 1 - 21367 32-bit Floating Point Processor ( I don't know if this actually helps the sound quality, but two has got to be better than one)

The 2809CI has 15-watts per channel more than the 2309CI, but I don't really believe it would make a difference in what you hear.

I believe numbers 1 and 2 would make the greatest difference in sound quality that you could hear over the 2309CI. What is the opinion from you other 2809CI owners?

Thanks MSGUSA.
I know there are a lot of variables to tonal qualities, but over all, would you say the sound was just cleaner, perhaps more detailed, or perhaps it had a warmer quality to it??

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page