post #1591 of 5676 Old 01-11-2009, 05:19 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGUSA View Post

So, now I wonder how many posters who complain of excessive bass could fix the issue by simply using a tripod during setup.

Sounds like it was money well spent. Good to know!

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 5676 Old 01-11-2009, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
According to the Auto Setup (manual page 25) in the first section under the first four points, it says to select next, then it measures 2nd position, then to calculate, then to move microphone to third position, measure, then calculate, then so on. I tried this way, but after calculating I couldn't go to next position. It prompted to check then store or cancel. So, I just went from each position to the next by selecting next and just did the the positions, then calculation and store at the end. Is this right? Do I need to do a calculation step after testing each position or just at the end like I did?

This thread is great...This manual blows.

By the way, I had a first go last night with this receiver and was blown away. Firsts are really great aren't they? First BlueRay on the Samsung LN55A950, and first time with the new HT. Replaced a $350 JVC theater in a box.
post #1593 of 5676 Old 01-11-2009, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz1 View Post

According to the Auto Setup (manual page 25) in the first section under the first four points, it says to select next, then it measures 2nd position, then to calculate, then to move microphone to third position, measure, then calculate, then so on. I tried this way, but after calculating I couldn't go to next position. It prompted to check then store or cancel. So, I just went from each position to the next by selecting next and just did the the positions, then calculation and store at the end. Is this right? Do I need to do a calculation step after testing each position or just at the end like I did?

Sounds like you got it right, it calculates all 8 positions at the end. It is confusing, though. It allows you to calculate with less than the full 8 positions but that stops the process, is suboptimal and is not recommended. The fact that it sounds good to your ears is a very good sign.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #1594 of 5676 Old 01-11-2009, 08:24 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz1 View Post

Is this right? Do I need to do a calculation step after testing each position or just at the end like I did?

Yes, but only if you want to stop measuring after that particular position (in this case the first). Ideally, you want to measure at least 6-8 positions before proceeding to Step 3 and doing the calculation.

In many instances the wording was actually improved going from the 2808 to 2809, however, in this particular case, although they actually added the procedure of how to go to the next measurement (selecting next and <--), they blew it by making it sound like a calculation was to be taken after each measurement, only to be followed by a note further down indicating that ideally a minimum of 6 positions should be taken. If that's the case, why include any procedure starting with less than 6 positions? (the Denon tech manual guy strikes again!).

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #1595 of 5676 Old 01-11-2009, 08:57 AM

I agree. The manual is misleading in this case. Thanks for the replies. I calculated 8 positions. I am very happy with this unit.

One more thing, last night I played a little bit of Warhawk on the PS3 with my son. It was increadible. You could hear where people and action were and could really "feel" the action. There were sounds from the different weapons and vehicles that I had never heard before. Let the fun continue...
post #1596 of 5676 Old 01-11-2009, 09:00 AM

FLASHING PWR/STANDBY BUTTON.
Have enjoyed my 2809 since Dec 08. Took me three weeks to set up> (It replaced a Denon 3300 of 10 years which took me only a day to set up) Yesterday after finishing a BR movie I pushed the quick select button for TV/Cable and put the amp into Standby mode so that I could watch tv via HDMI and TV sound. I have both the BR player and cablebox setup to go into the AVR via HDMI cables and a single HDMI to the TV. this gives me the option to use either the amp or the tv for sound. I spent hours rechecking everything including resetting the microprocessor. That's when I noticed that when going from Standby to Power on the red/green light flashes nine (9) time before it stays lit. In addition the qiuick select lites will not remain on when I go from Power on to standby.
Anyone have any ideas I searched all thru this forum and Batpigs guide and I ready to toos in the towel! Also where is the number to call Denon or do I have to go back to 6th AVE??
post #1597 of 5676 Old 01-11-2009, 09:04 AM

I have a Yamaha SW100 subwoofer that has L+R RCA-type inputs that go to a receiver or AVR. What outputs would I use on the Denon 989/2809 to control this subwoofer?

Thanks!
post #1598 of 5676 Old 01-11-2009, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpcross View Post

I have a Yamaha SW100 subwoofer that has L+R RCA-type inputs that go to a receiver or AVR. What outputs would I use on the Denon 989/2809 to control this subwoofer?
Thanks!

That's a powered sub, right? Then you want to use the SW RCA jack on the back of the Denon. Your SW100 user manual should indicate if that can be input to the L only on your sub, or you can use a simple Y RCA to split the signal into the sub's L&R. An unfiltered input jack is best.

post #1599 of 5676 Old 01-11-2009, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbehnke View Post

FLASHING PWR/STANDBY BUTTON.
Have enjoyed my 2809 since Dec 08. Took me three weeks to set up> (It replaced a Denon 3300 of 10 years which took me only a day to set up) Yesterday after finishing a BR movie I pushed the quick select button for TV/Cable and put the amp into Standby mode so that I could watch tv via HDMI and TV sound. I have both the BR player and cablebox setup to go into the AVR via HDMI cables and a single HDMI to the TV. this gives me the option to use either the amp or the tv for sound. I spent hours rechecking everything including resetting the microprocessor. That's when I noticed that when going from Standby to Power on the red/green light flashes nine (9) time before it stays lit. In addition the qiuick select lites will not remain on when I go from Power on to standby.
Anyone have any ideas I searched all thru this forum and Batpigs guide and I ready to toos in the towel! Also where is the number to call Denon or do I have to go back to 6th AVE??

Sorry Paul I don't understand what the problem is.

post #1600 of 5676 Old 01-11-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

That's a powered sub, right? Then you want to use the SW RCA jack on the back of the Denon. Your SW100 user manual should indicate if that can be input to the L only on your sub, or you can use a simple Y RCA to split the signal into the sub's L&R. An unfiltered input jack is best.

Yes, it is a powered 100W subwoofer from 1992--but it's great.
The manual talks about the REC OUT or PRE OUT of the receiver, but does not mention anything about using only the Left channel on the subwoofer inputs.

Is the SW out of the Denon a stereo 3.5 mini plug? I can't tell by the photo of the rear. I could use a Y 1-to-2 RCA adaptor to connect to the SW100, I suppose.

Grateful for any more clarifications.
post #1601 of 5676 Old 01-11-2009, 09:44 AM

I just bought a 2809CI last night from Magnolia, (Best Buy.) I was casually looking to replace my old H/K AVR310 over the last year but could never bring myself to pull a trigger on anything. I stumbled across the deal on the 2809CI and bit the bullet but have to wait for one to be shipped to me next week.

I've spent the better part of last night and today reading this thread and have a couple of questions.

1: My current setup has an old but still excellent Mitsu 65" HDTV that does not have DVI or HDMI. Currently, I'm using the component connections to a component switch to support my DVD, Dish HDTV PVR and Xbox 360. I understand the 2809 will only up-convert analog signals so here's my question. If I purchase a HDFury2 adapter and connect the HDMI out to that and the component end to my Mitsu I can expect to have 1080p signals from my Xbox 360, DVD and Dish HD-PVR?

2: I have a full Klipsch reference 5.1 setup currently that I will use on my 2809. My two mains have the subs built-in the cabinet and I connect one up as sub out on my H/K and connect LFE-out to the LFE-in of the other sub. I would do the same here or does the 2809 have two sub out connections?

I'm sure I'll have more questions when I get my receiver and start hooking everything up but these questions about will give me an indicator on what kind of cables to order from Monoprice. Up until now I've never had to worry about HDMI connections and the HDCP crap that goes along with it. I will probably replace my TV over the next year or so but it still outputs a sharp 1080i picture and frankly I can't justify replacing something that isn't broken. The HDFury2 would only be a stop-gap solution until I upgraded monitors but I'm interested in hear from anyone that has used the Fury and if it's really worth it.
post #1602 of 5676 Old 01-11-2009, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpcross View Post

Yes, it is a powered 100W subwoofer from 1992--but it's great.
The manual talks about the REC OUT or PRE OUT of the receiver, but does not mention anything about using only the Left channel on the subwoofer inputs.

Is the SW out of the Denon a stereo 3.5 mini plug? I can't tell by the photo of the rear. I could use a Y 1-to-2 RCA adaptor to connect to the SW100, I suppose.

Grateful for any more clarifications.

No, not a mini. "SW RCA jack on the back of the Denon...you can use a simple Y RCA "
Hope it sounds good, be sure to review SW setup instructions on the Audyssey Guide before running autosetup and feel free to post any further questions.

post #1603 of 5676 Old 01-11-2009, 10:06 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

In addition the qiuick select lites will not remain on when I go from Power on to standby.

This would make sense as the unit is in Standby. The only function that will operate is HDMI Control.

Quote:

Have you turned HDMI Control ON as the default is OFF (p. 30)? Also, make sure the TV connection is completed before actually putting it into standby.

"JD" –

post #1604 of 5676 Old 01-11-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:

No, not a mini. "SW RCA jack on the back of the Denon...you can use a simple Y RCA "
Hope it sounds good, be sure to review SW setup instructions on the Audyssey Guide before running autosetup and feel free to post any further questions.

SoundofMind, I should have read your first post a little more carefully. Everytning is now understood. Thanks again.
post #1605 of 5676 Old 01-11-2009, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLS4 View Post

I have a full Klipsch reference 5.1 setup currently that I will use on my 2809. My two mains have the subs built-in the cabinet and I connect one up as sub out on my H/K and connect LFE-out to the LFE-in of the other sub. I would do the same here or does the 2809 have two sub out connections?

Only one sub out on the Denon. Your suggested connection might work in getting the signal to the second "sub" but running multiple subs with Audyssey in the Denon may be a bit of a complex issue from what I'm picking up on the Audyssey thread (trying to do the very intense filtering on 2 subs, in different locations, on a system desiged for 1 sub); you could repost this part of your question there.

post #1606 of 5676 Old 01-11-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:

Sorry Paul I don't understand what the problem is.

I can no longer pass HDMI video and audio thru the 2809 to the TV while the Denon is in the standy Mode. The Standby button takes a full nine seconds of flashing to finally settle in the Power ON mode..that's not normal. I have had the QUICK SELECT FEATURE enabled for more than a month and now POOF it's gone. The quick select buttons should turn on the amp when its lit up in the standby mode.
Can't find a phone number anywhere in the manual for any Denon Tech help.
post #1607 of 5676 Old 01-11-2009, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, some of what you were describing seems nl so needed clarification. Was jd's response helpful? He is also fond of the "reset the microprocessor thingy, BTW.

Denon website- support- contact us:
Tech support Tel:
201-762-6665

post #1608 of 5676 Old 01-11-2009, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I thought this was interesting knowing we have this built into the AVR-2809:

Per GSR to a question regarding but can the Audyssey be used with an existing receiver?

"The only way to add it on is to get the Audyssey Sound Equalizer / MultEQ Pro which costs around $2500 plus the cost of having it calibrated or purchasing your own calibration kit (if it's the same kit used for Audyssey Pro, that's another $700). In most cases, it would be a lot more cost effective to just buy a new receiver."

Also take a look at the MultiEQ XT graphs.

Oppo Beta Group
post #1609 of 5676 Old 01-11-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:

Sorry, some of what you were describing seems nl so needed clarification. Was jd's response helpful? He is also fond of the "reset the microprocessor thingy, BTW.

Denon website- support- contact us:
Tech support Tel:
201-762-6665

thanks everyone...the HDMI control was OFF! I did that when I reset the micro. Think everything's OK now..I hope. Does every ones standby/pwr button flash nine times before "stayin in the green" Odd that I never noticed it before
post #1610 of 5676 Old 01-11-2009, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
Quote:

1: My current setup has an old but still excellent Mitsu 65" HDTV that does not have DVI or HDMI. Currently, I'm using the component connections to a component switch to support my DVD, Dish HDTV PVR and Xbox 360. I understand the 2809 will only up-convert analog signals so here's my question. If I purchase a HDFury2 adapter and connect the HDMI out to that and the component end to my Mitsu I can expect to have 1080p signals from my Xbox 360, DVD and Dish HD-PVR?

why go through the hassle of HDMI > component conversion requiring the purchase of a new device? just use the component video switching of the 2809, it has plenty of analog video bandwidth for 1080p component video switching. any non-component sources (composite/s-video) can still be upconverted to component video output as well. note that they won't be SCALED, but they will be converted at the same 480i resolution they came in, but that's OK because your TV will be scaling them all anyway to display at its native res.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1611 of 5676 Old 01-11-2009, 01:30 PM

Liked: 12
I've got a question on how to hook up the ASD11R Ipod docking station. I was looking at the manual online and it says to use the VCR connections. Is this a requirement or just a suggestion. If I have to use the VCR inputs can I assign another input to the VCR? I know there's a lot of reassignment the user can do.

I feel a little silly asking this since I haven't watched my VCR in over a year, but you never know.

Also, what kind of connectors are on the back of the 2809? By that I mean for the non HDMI connectors do they accept banana plugs, pin connectors, or spade connectors? I want to be prepared for what is required. I presume they also accept RCA type connections.

Is there is reason to go with another connection beside RCA at the back of the receiver. I should mention that I've got inquisitive cats and occasionally, as they are prowling around behind the entertainment unit, something gets dislodged. If there a connector that stays seated better, that's one for me.

I was looking on Monoprice for some cable organizers. The kind that look like ribbed flexible pipes and they have a slit down the length of them. Cables can be run through them for protection and to neaten up the joint. I forget what they are called, but I didn't see them at Monoprice.

Johnny

post #1612 of 5676 Old 01-11-2009, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell View Post

I've got a question on how to hook up the ASD11R Ipod docking station. I was looking at the manual online and it says to use the VCR connections. Is this a requirement or just a suggestion. If I have to use the VCR inputs can I assign another input to the VCR? I know there's a lot of reassignment the user can do.

I feel a little silly asking this since I haven't watched my VCR in over a year, but you never know.

Also, what kind of connectors are on the back of the 2809? By that I mean for the non HDMI connectors do they accept banana plugs, pin connectors, or spade connectors? I want to be prepared for what is required. I presume they also accept RCA type connections.

Is there is reason to go with another connection beside RCA at the back of the receiver. I should mention that I've got inquisitive cats and occasionally, as they are prowling around behind the entertainment unit, something gets dislodged. If there a connector that stays seated better, that's one for me.

I was looking on Monoprice for some cable organizers. The kind that look like ribbed flexible pipes and they have a slit down the length of them. Cables can be run through them for protection and to neaten up the joint. I forget what they are called, but I didn't see them at Monoprice.

The quick select position 3 is set to Ipod/VCR making it easy to switch from DVD to TV to iPod adapter. Yes you assign other inputs for the VCR usage.

You have optical, cable, s-video, RCA jacks, and speaker posts on the back of the AVR-2809.

You could tie cables together with cheap tiewraps to keep cats from pulling them loose.

Oppo Beta Group
post #1613 of 5676 Old 01-11-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

The quickset position 3 is set to Ipod/VCR making it easy to switch from DVD to TV to iPod adapter. Yes you assign other inputs for the VCR usage.

You have optical, cable, s-video, RCA jacks, and speaker posts on the back of the AVR-2809.

You could tie cables together with cheap tiewraps to keep cats from pulling them loose.

I'm sorry but I'm still not clear on this. I haven't head of the "quickset" position and what it is used for. I know the type of connectors on the back, but which ones accept banana plugs, if any? Do the DT speakers accept banana plugs?

Johnny

post #1614 of 5676 Old 01-11-2009, 03:20 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

I'm sorry but I'm still not clear on this. I haven't head of the "quickset" position and what it is used for. I know the type of connectors on the back, but which ones accept banana plugs, if any? Do the DT speakers accept banana plugs?

Check the first post in this thread for a picture of the back of the AVR and all the connections. Also, suggest you might want to download the Owner's manual from the Denon website and start looking at it.

"JD" –

post #1615 of 5676 Old 01-11-2009, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is a very nice set of pictures on the Denon website-check out rear panel view to see the variety of sexy connections.
oops jd is answering-jd, could you clarify that "quickset" thing?

post #1616 of 5676 Old 01-11-2009, 03:38 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

JohnAv is referring to the "Quick Select" feature, specifically the #3 button which defaults to the VCR (p. 60).

"JD" –

post #1617 of 5676 Old 01-11-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

JohnAv is referring to the "Quick Select" feature, specifically the #3 button which defaults to the VCR (p. 60).

these are the same three buttons that I am having problems with. Properly set up,the last one selected will remain lit (active) when the amp is is placed in the standby mode. I have not yet been able to return to that position where my amp will do that. Can some of you check how long it takes after you depress the standby
button till it turns green. Should be no more than a second or two. Mine cycles on and off nine times just as if the microprocessoris being reset.
post #1618 of 5676 Old 01-11-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:

There is a very nice set of pictures on the Denon website-check out rear panel view to see the variety of sexy connections.

Ok, I've found a mention where the speaker terminals can accept banana plugs. Is there a good reason to use banana plugs as opposed to simply stripping the wire and inserting the the bare wire?

Johnny

post #1619 of 5676 Old 01-11-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

why go through the hassle of HDMI > component conversion requiring the purchase of a new device? just use the component video switching of the 2809, it has plenty of analog video bandwidth for 1080p component video switching. any non-component sources (composite/s-video) can still be upconverted to component video output as well. note that they won't be SCALED, but they will be converted at the same 480i resolution they came in, but that's OK because your TV will be scaling them all anyway to display at its native res.

I was under the understanding that I could use the 2809 to up-convert my DVD, Xbox 360 and Dish HD box to 1080p to my Mitsu RPTV. According to the HDFury2 site the converter would allow me to view 1080p content from all my sources since the 2809 will up-convert analog sources. Am I missing something here? The main reason I haven't jumped into the Blu-Ray or thought about getting a new monitor is no real need for the 1080p.
post #1620 of 5676 Old 01-11-2009, 07:09 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

I was under the understanding that I could use the 2809 to up-convert my DVD, Xbox 360 and Dish HD box to 1080p to my Mitsu RPTV. According to the HDFury2 site the converter would allow me to view 1080p content from all my sources since the 2809 will up-convert analog sources. Am I missing something here? The main reason I haven't jumped into the Blu-Ray or thought about getting a new monitor is no real need for the 1080p.

On a scale of 1 - 10, if 1 = 480i SD picture quality and 10 = true 1080p HD quality (eg. Blu-ray), then upscaled 480i by most lower level chips (like the Denon) will get you at best maybe 4 or 5, but most certainly not a 10 in picture quality. A Blu-ray picture has all 2 million plus pixels filled in .... an upscaled 480i picture has roughly 75% of the pixels being "made up" ... "guessed at".

"JD" –

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page