post #181 of 5676 Old 08-28-2008, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordredKLB View Post

Anyone with a 2809 hooked up to a XBR4 care to comment if they're having the audio dropout issues that are plauging the 3808. I was ready to pull the trigger on a 3808 until I found out about this issue.

FYI: There are some 3808 and Sony display users experiencing HDMI issues not all. There are also other receiver owners having HDMI problems with their Sony display's. The HDMI issues encountered with Sony displays is not at all certain to be a Denon 3808 problem.

Like 80's rock? Add Pirate Radio KQLZ (updated 8/21/11): http://174.127.65.10:80 to your http://www.radiodenon.com

Firmware update? http://denon-firmware-tracking.wetpaint.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 5676 Old 08-28-2008, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by captavs View Post

FYI: There are some 3808 and Sony display users experiencing HDMI issues not all. There are also other receiver owners having HDMI problems with their Sony display's. The HDMI issues encountered with Sony displays is not at all certain to be a Denon 3808 problem.

It sounds like if you've upgraded the 3808 firmware then you are almost guaranteed to have the audio/video dropout with most Sony displays, at least from reading the threads here. I'm not willing to take the chance on a >$1k receiver

You are correct that nobody knows if it's a problem with the HDMI spec in the display, or the HDMI spec in the receiver. Frankly though, I don't care. I just want it to work.
post #183 of 5676 Old 08-28-2008, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordredKLB View Post

It sounds like if you've upgraded the 3808 firmware then you are almost guaranteed to have the audio/video dropout with most Sony displays, at least from reading the threads here. I'm not willing to take the chance on a >$1k receiver

You are correct that nobody knows if it's a problem with the HDMI spec in the display, or the HDMI spec in the receiver. Frankly though, I don't care. I just want it to work.

With HDMI there are many things that can cause problems. I hear you though wanting it to just work

I doubt the HDMI spec in a 2809 is any different then a 3808/4308. Other then CEC already having been added to the 2809.

The 2809 is a nice receiver Had the 2809 been out when I purchased my 3808 I would have considered. I probably would have still gone with the 3808 though being an old time Denon 3600 owner.

Like 80's rock? Add Pirate Radio KQLZ (updated 8/21/11): http://174.127.65.10:80 to your http://www.radiodenon.com

post #184 of 5676 Old 08-28-2008, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by captavs View Post

I doubt the HDMI spec in a 2809 is any different then a 3808/4308. Other then CEC already having been added to the 2809.

Since we don't know the actual HDMI repeater design, we can't say it hasn't been improved by Denon engineers a year later. (July 2007 versus July 2008) The previous 2808 was only a two inputs/one output HDMI repeater versus the 2809 which is now four inputs/one output HDMI repeater.

So far no HDMI handshake failures, or video/audio dropouts observed on the AVR-2809 I have.

Oppo Beta Group
post #185 of 5676 Old 08-28-2008, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Since we don't know the actual HDMI repeater design, we can't say it hasn't been improved by Denon engineers a year later. (July 2007 versus July 2008) The previous 2808 was only a two inputs/one output HDMI repeater versus the 2809 which is now four inputs/one output HDMI repeater.

So far no HDMI handshake failures, or video/audio dropouts observed on the AVR-2809 I have.

Good your not experiencing any HDMI problems It's one of those problems that would tend to drive one crazy There are 2808 and 3808 owners with Sony XBR displays that are not having HDMI problems either.

post #186 of 5676 Old 08-29-2008, 10:07 AM
GDP

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classico View Post

Technically, you should be able, in the set-up mode to change which component video input is associated with optical 1 without an issue. I am confused as to WHY you don't just buy a 2nd optical cable?

Denon's are designed to associate ONE audio input to ONE device. ONE video input to ONE device. In this way Denon allows you to set various parameters associated with that device and then REMEMBER those settings when you switch to that device.

I'm also assuming you are using OPTICAL because you have NO devices that use HDMI or SPDIF (cable). HDMI would solve a multitude of problems--if you can use it--and give you FAR BETTER SQ/PQ with your new 2809.

Good luck,

Classico

My TV only supports component for HD (very old CRT, even before DVI was on a lot of TVs), and only has two component inputs. I have an Xbox360, Zenith DVB-318 DVD player (hacked to upscale over component), and my HD cable box. The only device I have that will use coax audio is the DVD player. The receiver has only two optical inputs on the back, one being used by my CD changer, so that only leaves me with one optical input for both the Xbox (HDP input) and cable box (TV/CBL input). I have an optical splitter going 2-into-1 that works great, except now with the component video switching, I need to assign Optical 1 to both HDP and TV/CBL component inputs.

I COULD run the Xbox into the other component in on the TV and use the splitter on the TV/CBL input, but if the 2809 will let me, I'd rather just switch all the video through the AVR.

That's all until I can get my TH-50PZ800U, then it won't even be an issue because I'll be running HDMI.
post #187 of 5676 Old 08-29-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDP View Post

My TV only supports component for HD (very old CRT, even before DVI was on a lot of TVs), and only has two component inputs. I have an Xbox360, Zenith DVB-318 DVD player (hacked to upscale over component), and my HD cable box. The only device I have that will use coax audio is the DVD player. The receiver has only two optical inputs on the back, one being used by my CD changer, so that only leaves me with one optical input for both the Xbox (HDP input) and cable box (TV/CBL input). I have an optical splitter going 2-into-1 that works great, except now with the component video switching, I need to assign Optical 1 to both HDP and TV/CBL component inputs.

I COULD run the Xbox into the other component in on the TV and use the splitter on the TV/CBL input, but if the 2809 will let me, I'd rather just switch all the video through the AVR.

That's all until I can get my TH-50PZ800U, then it won't even be an issue because I'll be running HDMI.

If your DVD player can use COAX then you can assign that DVD player's coax audio OUT to the Denon coax audio IN (there are 3) and the video to one of the component IN on the Denon. You can then take the component OUT to your TV. That then leaves you 2 optical inputs for your Xbox and cable box.
If you need to send the DVD DIRECTLY to the TV you can STILL get the audio ONLY to go thru the Denon coax.

I have ALL of my units going to the Denon where it switches all component inputs to a single OUTPUT to my HDTV. Works like a charm.

Classico
post #188 of 5676 Old 08-29-2008, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Just learned that the 2809 won't be available in Scandinavia until October... But the 1909/2309 will be here next week. Just my luck...

NilsP

Life is better in HD.
post #189 of 5676 Old 08-29-2008, 02:58 PM

Just pulled the trigger on a 2809 this afternoon. I now have something to do for the evening.
post #190 of 5676 Old 08-29-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:

GDP

This is my first post but I felt I needed to comment. Page 38 of the 2809 Owner's Manual indicates that "Optical 3" may be assigned as an input (I know it indicates Out on the receiver). I also noticed that there are in fact three assignable Optical Inputs on the Input Assignment Menu.

As an alternative, do any of your input devices have HDMI out? I am using componant out on my DMP-BD30 at 1080i to feed video my old Mitusbishi RPTV while using HDMI to enable me to Bitstream Dolby True HD to the 2809.
post #191 of 5676 Old 08-29-2008, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haffee View Post

Just pulled the trigger on a 2809 this afternoon. I now have something to do for the evening.

I've done the same myself. I am quite happy with it so far. It's my 2808 with more HDMI inputs now. The dynamic volume works well too. I've already seen it come in handy with commercials on Directv. You should be pleased with it.
post #192 of 5676 Old 08-29-2008, 05:32 PM
GDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classico View Post

If your DVD player can use COAX then you can assign that DVD player's coax audio OUT to the Denon coax audio IN (there are 3) and the video to one of the component IN on the Denon. You can then take the component OUT to your TV. That then leaves you 2 optical inputs for your Xbox and cable box.
If you need to send the DVD DIRECTLY to the TV you can STILL get the audio ONLY to go thru the Denon coax.

I have ALL of my units going to the Denon where it switches all component inputs to a single OUTPUT to my HDTV. Works like a charm.

Classico

That's how I have it connected. my CD changer is utilizing the other optical in, so it only leaves me with one optical input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckwiz View Post

GDP

This is my first post but I felt I needed to comment. Page 38 of the 2809 Owner's Manual indicates that "Optical 3" may be assigned as an input (I know it indicates Out on the receiver). I also noticed that there are in fact three assignable Optical Inputs on the Input Assignment Menu.

As an alternative, do any of your input devices have HDMI out? I am using componant out on my DMP-BD30 at 1080i to feed video my old Mitusbishi RPTV while using HDMI to enable me to Bitstream Dolby True HD to the 2809.

The Optical 3 is on the front of the receiver, behind the door. I would use Optical 3, but it would look stupid to have that connected all the time with the door down. On the back, the third optical is labeled as 2 Out (DVR).

I know how to connect devices, I'm just not totally Denon-literate yet, and thought there might be some way to do this that I'm not really finding in the instructions. I'm gonna go ahead and guess "no" at this point. It's not a total loss, I just have to change the input on my TV to the other component in for games, no big deal, and I can still use the Optical splitter on the TV/CBL input.
post #193 of 5676 Old 08-29-2008, 09:33 PM

Is there a way to change the dynamic volume mode other than from the menu? It seems odd to me that this is a setting per input and not something that you can set globally. Like if you go from watching TV in midnight mode, when you go to watch a DVD you have to change the setup for the DVD input to midnight (and then remember to change it back later). I'm hoping I'm just missing something...

It's only been one night, but I have to say so far I'm pretty happy. A nice step up from my 1603. I used to keep turning the volume up as the night went on...now I find my self turning it down.
post #194 of 5676 Old 08-29-2008, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs2 View Post

Is there a way to change the dynamic volume mode other than from the menu? It seems odd to me that this is a setting per input and not something that you can set globally. Like if you go from watching TV in midnight mode, when you go to watch a DVD you have to change the setup for the DVD input to midnight (and then remember to change it back later). I'm hoping I'm just missing something...

It's only been one night, but I have to say so far I'm pretty happy. A nice step up from my 1603. I used to keep turning the volume up as the night went on...now I find my self turning it down.

Not that I have found. See page 46. The Dynamic Volume setting (Midnight - Night - Day) can only be adjusted from the menu under surround parameters. They provided buttons on receiver and remote for Dynamic Volume/EQ and MultiEQ XT, but oddly not for flipping through Dynamic Volume settings.

Oppo Beta Group
post #195 of 5676 Old 08-30-2008, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Note: AVR-2809 now on Denon Deutschland site for 1099 EUR.

Oppo Beta Group
post #196 of 5676 Old 08-30-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:

So, if I have this right: you have 3 optical and 1 coaxial, but the 2809 only accepts 2 optical and 2 coaxial in the back. Why not get a small unit to convert one of your optical to a coaxial? Monoprice dot com sells such a unit for 12 dollars.

Since this is my first post, I don't think I can post a link, but the item is titled "Optical Toslink to Coaxial (RCA) Digital Audio Converter."
post #197 of 5676 Old 08-30-2008, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_voyager View Post

So, if I have this right: you have 3 optical and 1 coaxial, but the 2809 only accepts 2 optical and 2 coaxial in the back. Why not get a small unit to convert one of your optical to a coaxial? Monoprice dot com sells such a unit for 12 dollars.

Since this is my first post, I don't think I can post a link, but the item is titled "Optical Toslink to Coaxial (RCA) Digital Audio Converter."

The 2809 actually has three coaxial ports on the back. Using a inexpensive optical to coaxial adapter is good idea.

Oppo Beta Group
post #198 of 5676 Old 08-30-2008, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Orignially posted by JohnAV:
Note: AVR-2809 now on Denon Deutschland site for 1099 EUR.

Ouch, that's $1665.15. I noticed electronics overhere basically go for the same retail dollar price as they do in the U.S. That's keeping me from buying anything while I am here.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #199 of 5676 Old 08-30-2008, 09:28 PM
GDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_voyager View Post

Sweet! I don't know why that never occurred to me. Thanks! Item ordered, problem solved.
post #200 of 5676 Old 08-30-2008, 09:36 PM
T2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Not that I have found. See page 46. The Dynamic Volume setting (Midnight - Night - Day) can only be adjusted from the menu under surround parameters. They provided buttons on receiver and remote for Dynamic Volume/EQ and MultiEQ XT, but oddly not for flipping through Dynamic Volume settings.

Yeah, I was wondering about the same thing... you suppose to mangle with the stupid **** menu crap 2-3x a day???
post #201 of 5676 Old 08-31-2008, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k View Post

Yeah, I was wondering about the same thing... you suppose to mangle with the stupid **** menu crap 2-3x a day???

Some people just enable the night volume setting only (medium setting) as their default when using Dynamic Volume. I still use only day mode (low setting) only. There is also Night Mode mentioned on page 47 of user manual that you can use instead of Dynamic Volume and EQ.

Oppo Beta Group
post #202 of 5676 Old 08-31-2008, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

September 2008 issue of Electronic House magazine shows the Denon AVR-2809 as one of its Electronic House Products of the Year for 2008. Also mentioned is the Onkyo TX-SR606, Marantz 8003, Harmon Karmon AVR 354, and Integra DHC-9.9.

Oppo Beta Group
post #203 of 5676 Old 08-31-2008, 08:35 PM

This thing is definitely more advanced and complicated to setup than my old Yamaha RX-V596. So far I've only done some minor calibration for my current system (size settings, distance, speaker levels) and I'm loving the sound. Nice to be able to use 5.1 Uncompressed PCM and Dolby True HD now. Blade Runner BD was certainly a treat.

Once I get my new A2-300, I'll run Audyssey and see how that changes everything.
post #204 of 5676 Old 09-01-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haffee View Post

This thing is definitely more advanced and complicated to setup than my old Yamaha RX-V596.

I know what you mean. I'm just trying to figure out the best setting for my 2 speaker setup. The manual, unfortunately, is not all that helpful.

Anyone else using a 2 speaker setup? Any advice?

Thanks
post #205 of 5676 Old 09-01-2008, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 1101
You should still be able to calibrate using Audyssey for a 2-speaker setup. There isn't any special setting for that, as long as you set it up properly in the speaker setup the Denon will "know" that you only have 2 speakers and downmix everything to stereo. If you look on the display, on the left it will show you what channels are being received, and on the right it will show you what is being output, so you can see the downmix.

I run 3.1, used to run 2.1. I would just leave it on "Standard" for whatever surround sound input you are listening to. i.e. if you are watching a 5.1 DD tv broadcast, just hit "Standard" and put it in standard Dolby Digital mode, and it will automatically downmix. If you are listening to a blu ray from PS3, just hit "Standard" and it should say "MULTI CH IN" and then downmix to 2 channels. You can also set up your devices to just output 2-channel PCM, but I'd rather let a sophisticated $1000+ AV receiver do the downmixing than a cable box.

If you are listening to 2-channel native content (CD's/music/standard cable), just put it in Direct or Stereo mode.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #206 of 5676 Old 09-01-2008, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 320
I just bought the 2809. I'll be using it in place of my ailing old Pioneer 49TX in our plasma-based 4.0 surround set up. But for now I'll be playing with it to experiment in my front room which I'm turning into a projection-based HT. See how well the Audyssee
tames room problems and how much acoustic panelling I might have to employ or not.

The dynamic volume/dynamic eq are what I was particularly interested in. I haven't set up the Audysee yet and hence haven't heard the dynamic volume/eq (I understand you can only employ those once you've set up the Audysee calibration).

Reading the manual it's a bit annoying that some features are unavailable when employing the Audysee, and the dynamic volume/eq. I'd really like to be able to do quick tone, simple bass/treble control adjustments which are often all I need to quickly tame some issues in our plasma set up. Unfortunately they are apparently unavailable when using the dynamic volume/eq.

What I am still unsure about, even after (quickly) reading the manual, is what type of
manual control I can have over the sound when the Audysee/dynamic volume/eq are deployed. Will I still be able to tailor some eq to fine tune to my taste with the Audysee engaged? Or am I stuck with whatever Audysee has decided for me?

I certainly hope it's not the latter.

Thanks,
post #207 of 5676 Old 09-01-2008, 09:55 AM

Thanks batpig. That was just what I was looking for
post #208 of 5676 Old 09-01-2008, 10:53 AM

Ordered my 2809 on 8/27 from http://www.home-technology-store.com...AVR2808CI.aspx

Lowest price I've seen.
post #209 of 5676 Old 09-01-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboygolf View Post

Ordered my 2809 on 8/27 from http://www.home-technology-store.com...AVR2808CI.aspx

Lowest price I've seen.

Unless I am missing something that doesn't look like an authorized dealer. You'd be better off paying the $50 extra and being covered under warranty. Seems pretty risky to buy from an non-authorized source to me.
post #210 of 5676 Old 09-01-2008, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_G View Post

Unless I am missing something that doesn't look like an authorized dealer. You'd be better off paying the $50 extra and being covered under warranty. Seems pretty risky to buy from an non-authorized source to me.

Home Technology Store is a authorize Denon dealer in Rochester, MN per Denon dealer look up.

If you want true risk then consider something being sold via eBay where I did a search and noticed some AVR-2809's being sold very cheap online by an unauthorized dealer.

Always better to go with a authorized dealer for returns/exchanges or warranty servicing.

Oppo Beta Group
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page