Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 5697 Old 09-02-2008, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Not that I have found. See page 46. The Dynamic Volume setting (Midnight - Night - Day) can only be adjusted from the menu under surround parameters. They provided buttons on receiver and remote for Dynamic Volume/EQ and MultiEQ XT, but oddly not for flipping through Dynamic Volume settings.

It's possible I don't understand what you are trying to do. With the Main Remote in the "Amp" mode, there is a soft key marked "NGT". It enables you to toggle thru the various Night settings Low-Med-High-Off. I found it quite by accident,which is about as likely as finding it in the Owner's Manual. If I recall corrrectly, there is also a "DYN" button.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 5697 Old 09-02-2008, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckwiz View Post

It's possible I don't understand what you are trying to do. With the Main Remote in the "Amp" mode, there is a soft key marked "NGT". It enables you to toggle thru the various Night settings Low-Med-High-Off. I found it quite by accident,which is about as likely as finding it in the Owner's Manual. If I recall corrrectly, there is also a "DYN" button.

Night-Mode (NGT) is basically a dynamic range compressor that reduces the peak output of audio sources, so that explosions and other effects are rendered at a similar level to speech and music. It is not as good as Dynamic Volume and EQ and the two cannot be active at the same time. Also Night-Mode doesn't work with HD Audio (Dolby True HD, DTS-HD). Dynamic Volume and EQ enables the full frequency response of the source at its original level to be reproduced at any listening level, even at very low volume levels.

Oppo Beta Group
post #213 of 5697 Old 09-02-2008, 06:53 PM

Just picked up the new Denon over the weekend (my Yamaha RX-V2700 wouldn't pass 1080p24 correctly). It sounds great and it passes my bluray player output correctly to my television (also decodes some soundtracks I couldn't handle before). The automatic audyssey setup has been the only source of trouble. The procedure takes longer for one pass than the yamaha does and the 2309 suggests 6 to 8 different mic positions. Its sometimes difficult to keep the house quiet for that long. I ended up running the procedure about 4 times. Twice it hung during the save phase and after 10 minutes, I was forced to power cycle. The other two times it saved in less than 30 seconds. I needed to do another pass because I wanted to try a different speaker location to improve the bass. The second pass took three tries. Anyone else experience a lockup like this? Anyone think this is a defective unit?

It made some interesting crossover choices (150 hz for my mains, Def Tech Mythos 4, and 60 hz for my center, Def Tech Mythos 8, and 110 hz for my surrounds, Mirage Omnistats). I adjusted the crossovers more to my liking and turned down the subwoofer gain and everything sounds great now.
post #214 of 5697 Old 09-02-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creilly11 View Post

Just picked up the new Denon over the weekend (my Yamaha RX-V2700 wouldn't pass 1080p24 correctly). It sounds great and it passes my bluray player output correctly to my television (also decodes some soundtracks I couldn't handle before). The automatic audyssey setup has been the only source of trouble. The procedure takes longer for one pass than the yamaha does and the 2309 suggests 6 to 8 different mic positions. Its sometimes difficult to keep the house quiet for that long. I ended up running the procedure about 4 times. Twice it hung during the save phase and after 10 minutes, I was forced to power cycle. The other two times it saved in less than 30 seconds. I needed to do another pass because I wanted to try a different speaker location to improve the bass. The second pass took three tries. Anyone else experience a lockup like this? Anyone think this is a defective unit?

It made some interesting crossover choices (150 hz for my mains, Def Tech Mythos 4, and 60 hz for my center, Def Tech Mythos 8, and 110 hz for my surrounds, Mirage Omnistats). I adjusted the crossovers more to my liking and turned down the subwoofer gain and everything sounds great now.

So are you saying the 2809 allows you to set a crossover independently for each set of speakers? I didn't think it had this feature? The Denon website lists variable crossover points but nothing about being independent for each.
post #215 of 5697 Old 09-02-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:

Home Technology Store is a authorize Denon dealer in Rochester, MN per Denon dealer look up.

Ahh, I went to Online Authorized Dealers and looked there. I didn't see them as an online authorized dealer and never thought to look anywhere else. Seems kind of pointless to have a seperate section for online authorized dealers if any authorized dealer can sell online.
post #216 of 5697 Old 09-02-2008, 09:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1213 Post(s)
Liked: 1617
Quote:
Originally Posted by JREwing View Post

So are you saying the 2809 allows you to set a crossover independently for each set of speakers? I didn't think it had this feature?

I think all Audyssey equipped Denons have this feature.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #217 of 5697 Old 09-02-2008, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Probably not defective, but something occurring with calculation after measurement. The room has to be dead quiet to get valid measurements. I would pose this question also in the Audyssey thread.

Oppo Beta Group
post #218 of 5697 Old 09-02-2008, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So are you saying the 2809 allows you to set a crossover independently for each set of speakers? I didn't think it had this feature? The Denon website lists variable crossover points but nothing about being independent for each.

Auto setup check is page 26 user manual. Manual changes effecting crossover for different speakers on page 29.

Oppo Beta Group
post #219 of 5697 Old 09-03-2008, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question for those that own the 2809. What is the averge volume you are listening at. I understand reference level is 0db but in my experience I have needed to turn the AVR to the lower 20db range just to be able to hear everything without straining my ears. Any less then that seems too quiet. I have gone through the audyseey setup a few times and not changed anything once done. Everything is in my living room which is fairly open but I would think the Audyseey setup would have accounted for that. From my experience most people have considered the 20-30db range to be very loud. My 5yr old yamaha I replaced never got below 38db and that was very loud to me. Excuse my inexperience with Denon's and proper audio setup but would like to know if this is right or if I should go back and tinker with the settings. One thing to note is that there is a red light on the AVR which if I remember means dynamic volume is turned off.

A second observation I have made is whenever I stream a video through Tversity to my Xbox 360 the AVR defaults to Stereo only sound. My 360 is set to output as Dolby Digital and I know some of the audio tracks have been 5.1 audio. If Tversity is downmixing the audio to stereo I thought that the AVR would convert the stereo sound to Dolby PrologicII as it does with my cablebox whenever a TV station with stereo only sound is passed. I don't undestand what I could be doing wrong here.

Xbox Live- DragonsLee

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." - Bruce Lee
post #220 of 5697 Old 09-03-2008, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmstyle View Post

Question for those that own the 2809. What is the averge volume you are listening at. I understand reference level is 0db but in my experience I have needed to turn the AVR to the lower 20db range just to be able to hear everything without straining my ears. Any less then that seems too quiet. I have gone through the audyseey setup a few times and not changed anything once done. Everything is in my living room which is fairly open but I would think the Audyseey setup would have accounted for that. From my experience most people have considered the 20-30db range to be very loud. My 5yr old yamaha I replaced never got below 38db and that was very loud to me. Excuse my inexperience with Denon's and proper audio setup but would like to know if this is right or if I should go back and tinker with the settings. One thing to note is that there is a red light on the AVR which if I remember means dynamic volume is turned off.

It varies with the source, but if running with just Dynamic EQ then you would probably notice that you have turn your volume up slightly more then if you were running Dynamic Volume (green light) also. I use the day setting in Dynamic Volume and find that DVD's run normal volume about -15 to -20. I can still listen to the content at -25 to -30 easily with louder TV broadcasts still using Dynamic Volume Day mode.

Oppo Beta Group
post #221 of 5697 Old 09-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the input hopefully others are in this volume range as well. Just seems odd when you read and hear a lot of comments from people stating that listening in the upper -20db to lower -30db is very loud and to me it doesn't seem even close to being loud enough to hear everything clearly without straining to hear the dialog. Maybe its time for some different speakers as well.

Note: as far as source material most of watch I watched has been Blu-ray (losseless audio tracks), Time warner HD channels and playing some xbox 360. All have been needed to be within the -15db to -22db range to seem a comfortable level to me.

Xbox Live- DragonsLee

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." - Bruce Lee
post #222 of 5697 Old 09-03-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:

Note: as far as source material most of watch I watched has been Blu-ray (losseless audio tracks), Time warner HD channels and playing some xbox 360. All have been needed to be within the -15db to -22db range to seem a comfortable level to me.

I've been using the -25db to -15db range without the Dynamic sound processing for a Samsung BDP1500 and an Xbox 360. It's fairly loud without it being ear splitting loud. I'll stick within the -30db area if my family is home on the floor above me.

I tried watching Blade Runner at 0 db. It became way too loud after 30 seconds.
post #223 of 5697 Old 09-03-2008, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1213 Post(s)
Liked: 1617
Volume will depend a lot on the efficiency of your speakers and the acoustics of your room. It's not really accurate to say 0dB is "reference volume", I think it's more accurately reference level signal from the amp (i.e. totally unattenuated). The actual volume/SPL that comes out of your setup totally depends on the speakers/room acoustics. On some people's setups/rooms I'm sure 0dB is way louder than "reference". (although someone who actually knows what they are talking about should verify/correct my statements)

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #224 of 5697 Old 09-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Volume will depend a lot on the efficiency of your speakers and the acoustics of your room. It's not really accurate to say 0dB is "reference volume", I think it's more accurately reference level signal from the amp (i.e. totally unattenuated). The actual volume/SPL that comes out of your setup totally depends on the speakers/room acoustics. On some people's setups/rooms I'm sure 0dB is way louder than "reference". (although someone who actually knows what they are talking about should verify/correct my statements)

Yes thats my understanding as well. I just look at this $1,000 AVR I bought and am wondering if it is truly optimized to the best it can be. I feel my speakers are in dire need of being upgraded in order to begin to use the true capabilities of the Denon. At 0db the speakers aren't ear shattering loud but you can clearly tell they sound very "hollow" and "flat" I guess would be the term.

Was thinking of buying the Polk Audio RTi A7 line, with a Polk Audio CSI A6 center and two pairs of Polk Audio FXi A6 surrounds.

Xbox Live- DragonsLee

post #225 of 5697 Old 09-03-2008, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Agreed. The speakers you are using could vary in efficiency of 86db/1 meter to 98db/1 meter based on physical speaker sizes and whether it is a 2-way, 3-way or 4-way system. My own speakers are rated at 89db/1 meter to 91db/1 meter which are typical of a lot of brands. Kilipsch two way designs are extremely efficient at 98db/1 meter and hardly require any amplifier power. As you say a larger room will need more volume to achieve equal loudness as in a smaller room.

Oppo Beta Group
post #226 of 5697 Old 09-03-2008, 12:47 PM

Any word if BB is still going to get the 2809 tomorrow? I would really like to listen to it before I pull the trigger. Thanks
post #227 of 5697 Old 09-03-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:

Was thinking of buying the Polk Audio RTi A7 line, with a Polk Audio CSI A6 center and two pairs of Polk Audio FXi A6 surrounds.

I'm currently running RTiA5 fronts, CSiA4 center and RTi4 surrounds. My room is about 12'x22'x8' and I'm sitting around 13' from the television. This system fills the room quite well.
post #228 of 5697 Old 09-04-2008, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For any one in the Baltimore/Wash D.C. area Audio Video Solutions in Laurel Md has both the 2809 and the 2309 in stock.
post #229 of 5697 Old 09-04-2008, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGoodwin View Post

For any one in the Baltimore/Wash D.C. area Audio Video Solutions in Laurel Md has both the 2809 and the 2309 in stock.

Tim, if you cought the price can you PM me?
post #230 of 5697 Old 09-04-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1677 View Post

Tim, if you cought the price can you PM me?

Anyone in the Midwest/Chicagoland area also feel free to PM me for the name/number of a authorized place with imo a killer deal. I must say Im now the proud owner of a 2809 as of Tuesday.....(bye bye Pio Elite 03, still a great unit) Hello Dynamic Volume!
post #231 of 5697 Old 09-04-2008, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Note: Checking with San Jose BB (with Magnolia Home Theater) they just received the AVR-2809.

Oppo Beta Group
post #232 of 5697 Old 09-04-2008, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Available in Norway too, now. $1400

NilsP

Life is better in HD.
post #233 of 5697 Old 09-04-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboygolf View Post

Ordered my 2809 on 8/27 from http://www.home-technology-store.com...AVR2808CI.aspx

Lowest price I've seen.

Me TOO... I ordered from them yesterday. J&R wouldn't match their price, eventhough they met all of their "price match" criteria...

Thanks for the heads-up billyboygolf!! You saved me $$$.
post #234 of 5697 Old 09-04-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:

after you run the automatic setup, it lets you adjust the crossover for each type of speaker (front, center, surround, surround back and sub) if the speaker size is set to small. You can't adjust until the auto setup has been run once.
post #235 of 5697 Old 09-04-2008, 08:33 PM

Liked: 14
I hope you realize that you just saved yourself out of the warranty.

http://www.usa.denon.com/OnlineETailers.asp

Be sure to click the "Warning Notice for Unauthorized & Internet Resellers" graphic on the left hand side.

If you're OK with not having a warranty, then more power to ya.

-- jaydillyo

post #236 of 5697 Old 09-04-2008, 08:34 PM
T2k

Liked: 11
Quote:

after you run the automatic setup, it lets you adjust the crossover for each type of speaker (front, center, surround, surround back and sub) if the speaker size is set to small. You can't adjust until the auto setup has been run once.

I think he's asking for freewheeling by 1Hz increments which is not possible IIRC, you can only choose from preset XO values - am I right?
post #237 of 5697 Old 09-04-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydillyo View Post

Be sure to click the "Warning Notice for Unauthorized & Internet Resellers" graphic on the left hand side.

-- jaydillyo

So this is a LIE?

http://www.home-technology-store.com...zed-dealer.htm
post #238 of 5697 Old 09-04-2008, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydillyo View Post

-- jaydillyo

HOME TECHNOLOGY STORE is a authorized dealer. See this Denon dealer link. Remember there are both Denon authorized dealers and authorized online retailers.

Oppo Beta Group
post #239 of 5697 Old 09-05-2008, 07:07 AM

Quote:

HOME TECHNOLOGY STORE is a authorized dealer. See this Denon dealer link. Remember there are both Denon authorized dealers and authorized online retailers.

Exactly what does that mean to the consumer.

Authorized Denon Dealer and Authorized E-Tailer.

Some businesses such as ABT, Sixth Ave, Modia etc. are not only Bricks and Motar Denon dealers they are also Authorized Online Dealers. Does this mean all the other "Denon Dealers" who dabble with internet sales but have not been "authorized" by Denon to sell their products outside their immediate geographical area are doing so at a risk to their customers. That risk being that Denon may or may not choose to honor the warrenty? I don't believe this to be true.

My best logical guess would be that if you are buying from a Denon Dealer either on site or via phone/internet that Denon will honor the warrenty in full. That the purpose of having dedicated authorized E-Tailers is to provide those "high volume" internet sellers a way to set themselves apart from the Joe Fly by Night Internet only business. Not to disqualify those approved Bricks and Motar Denon Dealers that just happen to do some sales via the phone or internet.
post #240 of 5697 Old 09-05-2008, 11:26 AM

Just ordered mine from HOME TECHNOLOGY STORE the price has changed, but if you call they will still offer the introductory price they were offering. My guess is that not all authorized dealers had websites when Denon makes the list.
Now I will wait in anticipation for my new receiver to show up. Hopefully I will find a tv this weekend to pair it up with.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page