AVS Forum banner

"Official" Denon AVR 2809CI/989 Thread

773K views 6K replies 622 participants last post by  R Harkness 
#1 ·
Please use this thread for all discussion on the Denon AVR-2809CI or Denon AVR-989.

Reviews & Awards:

Electronic House - Products of the Year Awards 2008 - AVR-2809CI

AVR-989 is "Certified and Recommended" in January 2009 issue of "SOUND & VISION" magazine now online .

Test Bench results for Denon’s AVR-989 were uniformly excellent. Power was impressive, with the receiver easily surpassing all of Denon’s 115-watt specifications for single channels or pairs. Even with all seven channels driven simultaneously, it delivered 100 watts or better per channel, and also supplied generous current increases into 4-ohm loads. Noise and distortion were equally impressive, approaching or matching theoretical minimums throughout. The Denon appears to roll off ultrasonic frequencies at about 3 dB/octave beyond 50 kHz or so on both analog and digital inputs. This is sonically unimportant (and probably even beneficial), and may well have been a deliberate design decision. In short, the AVR-989 delivered very nearly faultless performance. — D.K.

Lab power measurements for the 989 receiver (same as 2809).

TEST: Denon AV Receiver AVR-2809 (areadvd.de) October 24, 2008

Great review of the AVR-2809 with many images (OSD, internal, and external shots)

Useful Links/FAQ's

AVR-2809CI $1199.00 (USA), $1,319.00 (Canada), 1099 EUR (Deutschland)

Rear View

Remotes

Front Panel

For a truly stunning surround sound experience, the AVR-2809CI is packed with the latest audio and video technologies, for the ultimate performance with next-generation formats such as Blu-ray. The advanced surround sound processing section is powered by two 32 bit floating point DSP chips, and features the highest resolution surround decoding, including Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio, along with a full suite of additional surround decoding functions. The powerful seven channel amplifier section features 115 watts of power per channel, and provides the choice of driving a 5.1 channel system in the main room, with another stereo speaker pair in another room with independent source selection. The advanced video section features four v1.3a HDMI inputs, along with four additional wideband component video inputs, with Faroudja DCDi video processing and up-conversion that allows a single component or HDMI cable run to the HDTV. The AVR-2809CI is one of the first to feature Audyssey Dynamic Volume, which automatically eliminates irritating jumps in volume between TV shows and commercials, as well as Audyssey Dynamic EQ to ensure rich bass and smooth tonal balance, even at low volume levels. For optimum audio fidelity, the Audyssey MultEQ in-room acoustic correction system measures the overall room response at up to eight measurement points and tailors the sound for the most natural tonal balance everywhere in the listening space.

Product Details

* 115 watts per channel x 7 channels 8 Ohm, 20Hz-20kHz, 0.08%

* Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital Surround EX, Dolby Pro Logic IIx decoding

* DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS ES 6.1 Discrete, DTS ES 6.1 Matrix, DTS Neo:6 decoding

* HDMI v1.3a processing and switching (4 inputs, 1 output), supports 1080p, Deep Color, xvYCC, CEC functions

* Faroudja DCDi video processing and up-conversion up to 1080p

* Audyssey MultEQ XT in-room acoustic correction system

* Audyssey Dynamic Volume automatic volume-leveling system

* Audyssey Dynamic EQ automatic tonal balance adjustment system

* Enhanced On Screen Display with icon-menu system and screen saver

AVR-2809 Data Sheet

AVR-2809 Owners Manual - English

AVR-989 $1199.00 (USA), $1,279.00 (Canada)

The versatile AVR-989 provides unparalleled audio and video signal processing and switching flexibility, and is fully equipped to handle even the most sophisticated home theater setups. The video section features four latest specification v1.3a HDMI inputs, with up to 1080p resolution as well as handling high definition multi-channel LPCM, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks. For standard definition sources such as DVD, the on-board Faroudja DCDi video processing and upconversion system provides near-HD picture quality. Denon’s advanced surround sound decoding section is powered by dual high precision 32 bit floating point DSP processors, a feature previously found only on our top-end models, and provides breathtaking surround sound quality from virtually any source. Audyssey Dynamic Volume automatically eliminates jarring volume jumps between TV shows and commercials, and Audyssey Dynamic EQ ensures rich bass and smooth tonal balance, even at low volume levels. Audyssey’s MultEQ in-room acoustic optimization system provides up to eight measurement points, smoothing the overall balance for the most natural tonal quality everywhere in the listening space. Setup and operation are a snap, aided by Denon’s enhanced icon-based on screen display that also features a screen saver. Featuring both speaker level and pre-amp level second zone stereo outputs, the AVR-989 is the ideal centerpiece for a superb whole-home entertainment system.

Product Details

* 115 watts per channel x 7 channels

* Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital Surround EX, Dolby Pro Logic IIx decoding

* DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS ES 6.1 Discrete, DTS ES 6.1 Matrix, DTS Neo:6 decoding

* HDMI v1.3a processing and switching (4 inputs, 1 output), supports 1080p, Deep Color, xvYCC, CEC functions

* Faroudja DCDi video processing and up-conversion up to 1080p

* Audyssey MultEQ XT in-room acoustic correction system

* Audyssey Dynamic Volume automatic volume-leveling system

* Audyssey Dynamic EQ automatic tonal balance adjustment system

* Enhanced On Screen Display with icon-menu system and screen saver

AVR-989 Data Sheet

AVR-989 Owner's Manual - English

See less See more
#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV /forum/post/14466352

Yes, the menu is mostly text. Lots of nestled options and settings.

Ehh... my HK has a beautiful graphical interface... if I will return it - short on a fw fix to turn off video processing - I can't see any matching solution (SQ, GUI, etc), I hoped it's comparable...

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k /forum/post/14466381

Ehh... my HK has a beautiful graphical interface... if I will return it - short on a fw fix to turn off video processing - I can't see any matching solution (SQ, GUI, etc), I hoped it's comparable...

No problems with HDMI video/audio, watching Transformers is very impressive using the 2809. The sound quality I would say is on par with the 3808.

#8 ·
I'm very interested in this unit.

Any idea regarding comparison to the Pioneer 1018?

I'm trying to decide between maybe these 2 receivers.

I've been waiting forever to get an hdmi 1.3 receiver.

All the one's I have been interested in all seem to have significant issues--clipping, DTS-bomb, etc, etc.

It has really been frustrating.

I just want to make a good decision, but I can't wait any longer.

I'm ready for HD sound.

I know there is a substantial price differential, so maybe help me understand the main minuses and plusses of each. Not sure I can spend the extra for the Denon, but am having a hard time figuring which Denon is most comparable to the Pioneer.

Thanks so much for any help anyone can offer.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanlim /forum/post/14469473

I'm struggling between the 3808 and this model. I believe the 3808 displays the volume control over HDMI. Does the 2809? If so, is it capable of displaying it irregardless of the incoming signal (analog, hdmi, 24p) etc.? Thanks.

Only the 3808 and up can display volume over HDMI, also the only ones with the new GUI setup.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16x9enhanced /forum/post/14468488

I'm very interested in this unit.

Any idea regarding comparison to the Pioneer 1018?

I'm trying to decide between maybe these 2 receivers.

I've been waiting forever to get an hdmi 1.3 receiver.

All the one's I have been interested in all seem to have significant issues--clipping, DTS-bomb, etc, etc.

It has really been frustrating.

I just want to make a good decision, but I can't wait any longer.

I'm ready for HD sound.

I know there is a substantial price differential, so maybe help me understand the main minuses and plusses of each. Not sure I can spend the extra for the Denon, but am having a hard time figuring which Denon is most comparable to the Pioneer.

Thanks so much for any help anyone can offer.

The very popular Denon 1909 is comparable to the Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K, but even the 1909 has a two year warranty, which the non-elite 1018 model only has one year warranty.

Power wise the 1018 is a weak performer with all channels driven. Pioneer specs this receiver at only 110 watts with 2 channels driven per data sheet (bottom of sheet) The Denon 1909 is rated at 90 watts X 7 channels would perform better. I start looking at the PIo VSX-01TXH model instead, if you really like Pioneer's. But IMHO Denon's sound better.

The receivers sound better as you go up in price, because of better power supply's and amp's used in more expensive receivers. On the older Denon line I listened to you could hear a less dynamic sound environment as you went downward from the 2808 to the 2308 to the 1908. There's not much difference between the 2808 and the 3808. Now the 2809 has been bumped up to 115 watts from 110 watts that the 2808 provided.

You could find a 2808 or 988 model on sale right now if you don't mind only 2 HDMI inputs, and no Sirius ready or Audyssey Dynamic Volume + EQ features.

#16 ·
well I know the watts per channel numbers can be less that accurate, but I thought the Pioneer was 130 x 7.

Now I know this is rarely accurate, but I thought it would certainly higher than 90 watts per channel in reality.

what would be my best bet Denonwise if I wanted to spend around $800 to $850?

btw: don't all of the Denon's have the Audessey?

Is the "dynamic volume" something new?

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16x9enhanced /forum/post/14471888

well I know the watts per channel numbers can be less that accurate, but I thought the Pioneer was 130 x 7.

Now I know this is rarely accurate, but I thought it would certainly higher than 90 watts per channel in reality.

what would be my best bet Denonwise if I wanted to spend around $800 to $850?

btw: don't all of the Denon's have the Audessey?

Is the "dynamic volume" something new?

Its a marketing ploy, do you really think the $599 Pioneer 1018 receiver is capable of 130 watts RMS x 7 channels driven compared to the $649 Denon AVR-1909 and $599 Onkyo TX-SR606 both that are rated 90 RMS watts x7.

The closest Denon model to that price range is the $849 Denon AVR-2309CI (normal discount drops it to $749) which offers 4 HDMI inputs, and 100 watts x 7. The cheaper AVR-1909 has been discounted pretty deeply too as observed in the 1909/789 thread.

All the new xx09 models support Audyssey Dynamic Voice and Dynamic EQ.

See this Denon Receiver URL for information of their new xx09 receiver line.

#18 ·
I've been considering the Pioneer 1018 and Denon 1909 as well, but I'm starting to get more interested in higher power amps.

So far as the 130 W/ch goes, I was under the impression the 1018 used Direct Energy (class-D?) amps, which should be more efficient and produce more audio power for the same electrical power (i.e., more boom, less heat) at lower cost.

I will be following the 2809 line with great interest though.

#19 ·
I would make a bet that these 100W/ch numbers will be just as powerful or even less than my HK 354's 75W/ch in reality - careful with these numbers, folks, these are almost always inflated numbers, they rarely show what the unit is capable to output @ 7x 6-8Ω

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k /forum/post/14472570

I would make a bet that these 100W/ch numbers will be just as powerful or even less than my HK 354's 75W/ch in reality - careful with these numbers, folks, these are almost always inflated numbers, they rarely show what the unit is capable to output @ 7x 6-8Ω

If the 2809 is anything like the 2808 in regards to amp section, and I'm sure it is, these will be very similar in actual five channel power to the 75/channel the 354 does. But these won't clip btb or wtw, and they will play nice with all those PS3's out there....oh and they'll decode a DSD stream. None of which the HK's are capable of.

#21 ·

Quote:

I doesnt really matter because 3 dB increase per watt goes like this 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128.it does not matter if the AVR does 64 or 128W per channel.....it WILL NOT sound louder to any of us.

SO......even if the Denon is 90W, 80W or even 60W its not an audible difference...when are we going to get past this??

BTW, this is why I believe 250W/ch is a must in our Home Theaters....128W does not cut it in my books.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2JSTS /forum/post/14472737

If the 2809 is anything like the 2808 in regards to amp section, and I'm sure it is, these will be very similar in actual five channel power to the 75/channel the 354 does.

Err that's 7x75W and HK is well-known for quoting lower-than-actual numbers. Never heard of anything like that from Denon...

Quote:
But these won't clip btb or wtw, and they will play nice with all those PS3's out there....oh and they'll decode a DSD stream. None of which the HK's are capable of.

Oh pleahhhse... as of yet, right - because they released it too early - and in return you're stuck with a craptastic old scaler which will never be "upgraded", right. :p

BTW HK already said it shouldn't clip at all and Garman doesn't have problems with his 254 so it's obvious they will fix it - the question is when...

#23 ·

Quote:
Err that's 7x75W and HK is well-known for quoting lower-than-actual numbers. Never heard of anything like that from Denon...

Dude, the Watt difference is meaningless...see above.

Why are you ripping on Denon in DENON threads? You are peddling your HK stuff over and over in all threads its seems and honestly, you alone have made me never WANT TO BUY another HK....HK should be proud to have customers like you!!

Go listen to your HK, no one cares at all about what you think because everything you post is HK this, HK that....boring!!

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k /forum/post/14473022

Oh pleahhhse... as of yet, right - because they released it too early - and in return you're stuck with a craptastic old scaler which will never be "upgraded", right. :p

BTW HK already said it shouldn't clip at all and Garman doesn't have problems with his 254 so it's obvious they will fix it - the question is when...

Different tools for different tasks....You are always bashing Denon for their lack of updated scalers. While it's true they reserve the HQV stuff for the 5803 and I agree they could include something better than a FL2130. I also acknowlege that many, and I myself, could not care less about this feature in an AVR. Many have other solutions that are better anyway and frankly I don't want my best scaler located in my AVR....I want it in my set or a seperate scaler, just makes more sense to me. Also, keep in mind many that buy Denon boxes already have good scalers in their higher end Denon DVD players and BR players...Why keep buying the same chip over and over?

On topic....Has anyone done any DSD streaming with the new 2809, any impressions?

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/14473214

Dude, the Watt difference is meaningless...see above.

I did. Nothing relevant there to see.

Quote:
Why are you ripping on Denon in DENON threads?

I simply said careful with the numbers and brought up the example I know.

Quote:
You are peddling your HK stuff over and over in all threads its seems and honestly, you alone have made me never WANT TO BUY another HK....HK should be proud to have customers like you!!

Go listen to your HK, no one cares at all about what you think because everything you post is HK this, HK that....boring!!

Listen, we went through this already - if you have nothing to say, please, get lost. I have zero intention to get down to your level of bungling, where you trash everyone who has an opinion (perhaps because you lack one?)...

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2JSTS /forum/post/14473574

Different tools for different tasks....You are always bashing Denon for their lack of updated scalers. While it's true they reserve the HQV stuff for the 5803 and I agree they could include something better than a FL2130. I also acknowlege that many, and I myself, could not care less about this feature in an AVR. Many have other solutions that are better anyway and frankly I don't want my best scaler located in my AVR....I want it in my set or a seperate scaler, just makes more sense to me. Also, keep in mind many that buy Denon boxes already have good scalers in their higher end Denon DVD players and BR players...Why keep buying the same chip over and over?

Of course, there's a whole world beyond AVR scalers, I agree.
However buying the 'same chip' makes little sense - since when your DVD scaler will help with you cable PQ?

Anyway, I just wanted to point out Denon's grass isn't greener at all, it's just different, as of now, at least.

PS: in fact, as I already posted few times, I am looking at something comparable-sounding alternative to my 354 due to its dealbreaker bugs - of course, it will complement a dedicated scaler so I could very well end up with a 2309/889 (assuming I can make them sounding similar to my HK)...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.