AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofer View Post

Hey guys,

FYI, I did get the SC-05 from BB Magnolia last week. I was planning on ordering the VSX-94 when I was told that they have the new Elites in stock. I just used one of the discount coupons. I'm sure better deals could be had from some of the site sponsors.

I was waiting for other members to post their observations on these AVRs but I guess most of you are still waiting or are just receiving your orders. I am hesitant to post any technical review as I don't have the level of sophistication that some of you have. In addition, I am upgrading from an old Yamaha 1400 so most of the features in the SC-05 are new to me.

As I am upgrading my HT system , it took me a while to connect the new components. Anyway, I can tell you at least that it breathed new life into my old ACI speakers. I own a few Eva Cassidy CDs and they never sounded as good until now. Her remarkable voice never sounded better. The same thing happened with CDs from Nora Jones and John Meyer. I have yet to play audiophile quality CDs, SACDs and DVD-Audios.

I expect to receive my Salk SongTowers in the next few weeks. I can't wait to hook them up with this AVR. I expect to hear amazing sounds.

I will eagerly await the feedbacks from other members.

Jofer

Congratulatins on your SC-05, Jofer! I didn't realize the SC-05 have been realeased already... Very cool! Please give us more of your impressions. Any problems or surprises?

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 17109 Old 08-31-2008, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1159 Post(s)
Liked: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by myz350 View Post

First of all, don't have your kind of money to spend on a Realta DVD player, if I did, I would have bought the Denon 5308 and would not be here chatting with you. Secondly, I don't care if Audyssey is cumbersome, since you only have to adjust this one. So it's a matter of which one sounds better after the calibration that I care about. I wouldn't say the Onkyo looks cheap, as it looks the same as most other receivers out there, it's just the Pioneer Elites look better, I do have the 72TXH now. And the ICE chip is what's making me debating between the 2. Do I want better sound or better Video. Since I already planned the budget of a new Sony 55XBR8, the Video will be better than what I have now. But I have a set of Energy Encore speakers, and either receiver will make these speakers sound great, and to do better I'll have to upgrade the speakers, which I don't have the money now.....

I for one have components that output either 1080i or 1080p. For those that output 1080p, I let my display do the deinterlacing. The Kuros deinterlace perfectly. So for me video processing in my receiver is a zero, I have no need for it.

So it all boils down to reliability, compatibility, sound and looks. I'm also not enamored with the Onkyo's history on new receivers and their many audio issues with advanced audio codecs. Clicking, popping, heat etc. have made me wary of Onkyos. I'm sure they're great sounding units, but I know the Pioneers have been better out-of-the-box.
post #273 of 17109 Old 08-31-2008, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1159 Post(s)
Liked: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ok2me View Post

Then buy the Onkyo, sounds like the better AVR for you.

Yeah, sometimes people come here with rhetorical questions when you know their mind is made up already.
post #274 of 17109 Old 08-31-2008, 12:04 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

Congratulatins on your SC-05, Jofer! I didn't realize the SC-05 have been realeased already... Very cool! Please give us more of your impressions. Any problems or surprises?

No problems so far. Except that I had to adjust the shelves in my TV stand to fit it. Doesn't appear to get too warm. No buzz issue. Works well with my Oppo and PS3 players.

I watched the 'Sunshine' blu-ray last night. The movie is set in space and is about a group of astronauts heading for the sun. The HT sound came through so well even at a low volume that I was worried my next door neighbors would be knocking on my door at anytime . And I thought my old speakers have given up on me.

It's a clear winner as far as I am concerned. No regrets here folks...

Jofer
post #275 of 17109 Old 08-31-2008, 12:11 PM

Any of you getting ready to purchase or have purchased the SC07 look at the SR8002 as well?

I am to the point of needing to make a final decision (basement almost finished) and having problems making the final decision between the two. I am hoping maybe a couple of you could share your thoughts. Maybe theres something I have missed that would help me decide. Audio and video are probably of equal importance to me and both of these recievers fit my price point. I have pretty much elimated every other AVR at this price point but really stuck here.

Thanks

....ZB
post #276 of 17109 Old 08-31-2008, 04:42 PM

Oh... the inhumanity! I don't know where to begin. I'm looking to buy a new reciever for my dedicated theater at the end of September with a budget of 1000 to 2000 dollars, with the hope of staying close to 1000 as possible. Right now I have a Pioneer Elite
82TX which I will move to the living to replace an old H/K 325, I don't know what I'm gonna do with that.

Anyway I like what I get from my 82 but I am interested in mainly the new codecs but there are a few other features that I want. Right now I have three HDMI inputs but I would like four, not a deal breaker unless it's less than three. I'm also interested in networking and music streaming features, but not a must. I would like to have upscaling features but mostly for flexibility. I remember once that I use to have a Projection Tv that only was only able display 1080i or 480i/p which meant that on some PS3 games I was forced to deal with 480i/p when playing 720p games. The chance of being that limited a almost moot but ya never know. I need two HDMI outs, while I do not have to have a receiver that has that option it would be nice. My other concerns are firmware issues. I'm a person that struggles with patience in certain situations so the Idea of sending my unit in for an upgrade is not appealing in any manner.

So far my choices are:

Denon-3808CI- Denon has a good representation and has the ability to upgraded via ethernet, very appealing. I also like the upscaling features and HDMI inputs and the networking feature. One thing with these networking features, I am not sure how they work. Whenever doing this there's always some hit or miss with them, especially since all my music is in the wma lossless format. I am not sure what is out there that will play them. My 360 streams and plays them decently, so does my rokou soundbrige. However, at first my PS3 wouldn't stream them, it only said unsupported format. Now it does, I think it as something to do with WHS and windows media connect. Now my list of music says pcm next to the file names. So, I can't get my hopes up on this feature.

Pioneer-

VSX-1018AH/Emotiva UPA-7 combo: Reviews seem to be decent and it has the main features that I want. Only three HDMI inputs its not four but it's not horrible. I can't remember what the scaling features are like and so far I haven't heard of any issues. So this is my fall back choice if I can't figure anything out.

SC05-07: Now in a perfect world, not worrying about budget or firmware issues I would get one of these two. The features I want are there, including the two HDMI outputs on the 07. There is the matter of firmware issues, as I mentioned before I don't know if I have the patience to deal with sending the unit in for an issue fix, my best hope would be that be everythings works out from the beginning. Then there is the price..at least for the SC-07 I would be strecthing to get it and that would only if I could get for 2000 including tax and shipping. It wouldn't be so bad there weren't so many other things that I am trying to get. Some times during the thinking process, I just say I should go for it and get the 07. As for the 05 I keep thinking if I'm going to get the 07 then I might as well go for one of the more econimal solutions.

VSX-94: I wanted this last year before the most recent Elites came out. I am not aware of any issues but as with the other Pioneers I am weery of sending in the unit.

Onkyo: 706-906, I am considering these and I usually like them however, this past year there seemed to always be something to fix. I'm not sure how the upgrade is done but I don't think one has to send it in.

Marantz 8002- I just began considering this receiver, mostly due to refurbished ones being offered at a good price. I don't much about them yet so I have more research to do.

Because I'm most iterested in the SC07/05 I am for now putting them at the top of the list. I got a few weeks I guess anyway.

"Man, you're like school on a Saturday.......No Class", Fat Abert-80's Saturday moring cartoon.
post #277 of 17109 Old 08-31-2008, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Can we stay on topic, please? This is a thread about what the 05/07 can do, not a what should I buy or an xxxxx is better thread.

Dennis H
post #278 of 17109 Old 08-31-2008, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by catapult View Post

Can we stay on topic, please? This is a thread about what the 05/07 can do, not a what should I buy or an xxxxx is better thread.

Where did it say that on the topic???
This is a forum, and any AV receiver that compares to the SC07 or any Speaker that hooks up to the SC07 or any other devices can and should be discussed here as the owners would have hands on experience on the machine and knows the correct answer. When you see a post on this thread that doesn't interest you, you can simply scroll down to the next one. No one is telling you what to do, so don't tell others what to do. People are here to share and learn from the experienced, and if you are not willing to share, then don't! And please don't write back any stupid remark, as no one cares, and you will definitely be getting off topic!
post #279 of 17109 Old 08-31-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catapult View Post

Actually this is a owners thread...AND... I for one cant think of a better place to ask the question I did than to go to other owners and ask them what they used to base their purchase decisions on!!

...ZB
post #280 of 17109 Old 09-01-2008, 06:57 AM

I agree This is the best place to ask a question about one or the other.

post #281 of 17109 Old 09-01-2008, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

If you wanted a comparison about the video capabilities, you should've made that clear.

Based on my experience with the SC09 and 905, I can safely say the audio quality of the SC07 will be a step above the 905...

The SC09 and SC07 share a great deal in the audio department, and the great price differential isn't representative of a huge audible leap, but more in the area of functionality, flexibility and media streaming features.

And you are incorrect.. the SC07 and SC09 do not share the same video solution (the SC09 uses the Marvell QDEO chip.)

You asked a question and I answered it based on my experience. And I am sure that my answer was useful for others.. the differences in video processing (when using the same solutions) are minimal... most are concerned about the sound differences in an audio receiver and there is more than enough information on these boards about what each video solution offers, regardless of what product it ends up in.

That being said, I've had the Denon 5308 (Realta), 4308 (Farojda DCDi same as the SC07), SC09 (QDEO), Onkyo 905 (Reon) and Anthem D2 (Gennum VXP) in my system in the last 12 months....

The 4308 vs. the 905 de-interlacing 1080i? No big difference.

The SC07 does not up-convert HDMI inputs. However, in my experience, satellite and cable sources have always shown improvements when using component connections, so this was a non issue for me with the SC09. I also use my Xbox with component, and the PS3 does just fine on it's own.

BTW, I don't "need" to tell you anything else.

As I am debating the 905/906 vs the SC-07 how would you rate the sound between them you indicate the 4308 and the 905 video are the same.

Would you rate the audio the same ( I just find the denons sound bland)
no dynamics i guess. thanks
post #282 of 17109 Old 09-01-2008, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxker View Post

Oh... the inhumanity! I don't know where to begin. I'm looking to buy a new reciever for my dedicated theater at the end of September with a budget of 1000 to 2000 dollars, with the hope of staying close to 1000 as possible. ....

Pioneer-...SC05-07: Now in a perfect world, not worrying about budget or firmware issues I would get one of these two. The features I want are there, including the two HDMI outputs on the 07. There is the matter of firmware issues, as I mentioned before I don't know if I have the patience to deal with sending the unit in for an issue fix, my best hope would be that be everythings works out from the beginning. Then there is the price..at least for the SC-07 I would be strecthing to get it and that would only if I could get for 2000 including tax and shipping. It wouldn't be so bad there weren't so many other things that I am trying to get. Some times during the thinking process, I just say I should go for it and get the 07. As for the 05 I keep thinking if I'm going to get the 07 then I might as well go for one of the more econimal solutions.

....Because I'm most iterested in the SC07/05 I am for now putting them at the top of the list. I got a few weeks I guess anyway.

Go for it, be happy in this perfect world and get the SC-07, just check with john marty at axxis audio, axxisdurango.com they are an avs forum sponsor, check the text links at the bottom of the avs forum pages. He can get you a SC-07 well under your budget or if you want to save more a SC-05 for a great price as well.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #283 of 17109 Old 09-01-2008, 08:13 AM

So I haven't had nearly as much time to spend with the 07 as I had hoped, but so far my first impression has been very favorable. My old setup was an Outlaw 950 paired with a pile of Crown XLS amps. I had fully intended to continue to utlize the Crowns and only take advantage of the processor section of the 07, but since my rack is totally ripped apart right now I'm using the internal amps on the 07. I need to spend way more time with them before making a decision, but I'm not sure I'll end up using the Crowns. They were overkill in the first place, but I got 'em cheap and they sounded great. But since the ICE amp section of the 07 seems to be holding it's own that means I can dump the amps, gain some rack space, and put the loot towards more gear. It's a very tempting move.

I can't really comment on the video side of things yet as the only source hooked up that is being upconverted is a Wii, and let's face it, nothing is really going to make the Wii look amazing. Upconverting gives the Wii's picture quality a hug, but it's still a Wii. My PS3 and 360 are both hooked up via HDMI so there's nothing being done to the signal.

Hopefully the rest of the week opens up for me and I can really dig in. I haven't run MCACC yet or messed around with any of the Home Media Gallery stuff, both of which were important features for me. I'll post some more updates as I have them.

post #284 of 17109 Old 09-01-2008, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugme1 View Post

As I am debating the 905/906 vs the SC-07 how would you rate the sound between them you indicate the 4308 and the 905 video are the same.

Would you rate the audio the same ( I just find the denons sound bland)
no dynamics i guess. thanks

I've heard that the SC07 and SC09 are close in certain audio performance areas... based on my experience with the SC09, I would take the SC07 any day over the 905/906 in regards to audio quality.
post #285 of 17109 Old 09-01-2008, 02:34 PM

Would one of you SC-07 owners tell me this: What is the distance between the FRONT of the FRONT feet of the 07 and the farthest point forward on the front of the unit? I assume that would be the front of the big two dials.

We know that the SC-07 is 18.09" deep. I assume that means from the very front of it- the front edge of the two big dials, to the back of the rearmost connector on the back.

If I know the distance I have asked for above, I will know how much room I will have at the back. If, say, the distance I have requested is 2", then 18.09" minus 2"= 16.09" from the FRONT EDGE of the two front feet to the very rear of the unit.

My shelf is 17" deep. It is actually more, but it is a three-shelf Bello rack, a three-legged affair. Two legs in front and a pier in the CENTER in the back. The bottom glass shelf slides into a slit in that pier, and so one loses about an inch of depth on that shelf.

I'm hoping that by putting the SC-07 right out at the leading edge of that bottom shelf that the unit then takes up ~16" going back from there.

That center pier has an oval, vertical hole in it for cables, so if one positioned the 07 just right, left to right, one could have cables going INTO that hole, something I think I'll probably have to do to use this rack. The pier is about 4" in diameter, and that hole is centered in the middle of it and about 2" wide, so one could get into stressing cables to run them AROUND the pier, or even stressing them to get them bent inward to go INTO it if the back of the receiver is sitting really close to the pier. To avoid stressing cables using either route, one might position the 07 left to right on the shelf so as to find the optimal position, in terms of what connectors are where, left to right on the back of the 07. The shelf, BTW, is 35" wide between the inside edges of the two front legs, so I have some options as to where to place the 07 left to right.

There is nothing else on the back of the rack, just the pier in the center, so cables can run back into and through the pier and there are no obstructions of any kind on either side of it. The only cable-stressing issue would involve bending cables inward to go into the hole in the pier, or bending them outward to go around the pier.

Receivers used to be wide and not so deep. Looking down on them one saw a rectangle, and the long axis was left to right. Then in the 80s somebody got the brilliant idea of making them narrow and very deep, so that now the long axis is front to back. The SC-07 is 16.54" wide and 18.09" deep. Surely making them good and deep wouldn't produce any problems in terms of shelves to hold them, right?

I'm glad the 07 only weighs 40 lbs 3 oz. because that tempered glass shelf is rated for 50 lbs. Some receivers get a lot closer to 50 lbs.

Now, please, the distance from the front edge of the front feet to the very front of the receiver- and I assume that is the front surface of the two big knobs. What I am saying is, if you put the front two feet as far forward as possible on the shelf, how much room does the rest of the 07 take up going back from the front edge of the shelf?

Many thanks for this measurement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

I've heard that the SC07 and SC09 are close in certain audio performance areas... based on my experience with the SC09, I would take the SC07 any day over the 905/906 in regards to audio quality.

post #286 of 17109 Old 09-02-2008, 08:27 AM

A wait of a couple of months has been a bit of a challenge, but I've just received a call from my local independent dealer that my 07 is in and ready to be picked up. Not that I'm anxious or anything.

Oddly, the 51fd order has yet to ship, although the delay offers some hope of escaping frustrating bugs faced by those with demonstration and 1.0 firmware.

I'll be hooking it up, but only to legacy equipment that cannot reveal its potential.
post #287 of 17109 Old 09-02-2008, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-mill View Post

So I haven't had nearly as much time to spend with the 07 as I had hoped, but so far my first impression has been very favorable. My old setup was an Outlaw 950 paired with a pile of Crown XLS amps. I had fully intended to continue to utlize the Crowns and only take advantage of the processor section of the 07, but since my rack is totally ripped apart right now I'm using the internal amps on the 07. I need to spend way more time with them before making a decision, but I'm not sure I'll end up using the Crowns. They were overkill in the first place, but I got 'em cheap and they sounded great. But since the ICE amp section of the 07 seems to be holding it's own that means I can dump the amps, gain some rack space, and put the loot towards more gear. It's a very tempting move.

I can't really comment on the video side of things yet as the only source hooked up that is being upconverted is a Wii, and let's face it, nothing is really going to make the Wii look amazing. Upconverting gives the Wii's picture quality a hug, but it's still a Wii. My PS3 and 360 are both hooked up via HDMI so there's nothing being done to the signal.

Hopefully the rest of the week opens up for me and I can really dig in. I haven't run MCACC yet or messed around with any of the Home Media Gallery stuff, both of which were important features for me. I'll post some more updates as I have them.

b-mill, How does the sound compare to your older setup? (before and after MCACC) I know you mentioned you are a systems integrater, so your opinions/impressions would be appreciated.

post #288 of 17109 Old 09-02-2008, 10:40 AM

I just talked to Robert at VE and my SC-07 and 05fd will be shipping today! Hopefully I will receive these in the next couple of days. I also hope it meets my expectations.
post #289 of 17109 Old 09-02-2008, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgilm View Post

I just talked to Robert at VE and my SC-07 and 05fd will be shipping today! Hopefully I will receive these in the next couple of days. I also hope it meets my expectations.

Way cool, patgilm! I can't see how it wouldn't exceed your expectations The SC-07 with the BDP-05/51FD is one awesome combo.

post #290 of 17109 Old 09-02-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Chip, I would find that unacceptable. I can't imagine they didn't envision the user wanting HDMI as the default turn on mode when that's become the de facto standard. Are you sure there isn't something you're overlooking?

If it were me, and there was no way around it, I'd sooner forget the HDMI control and use a universal remote. I want everything via HDMI as I currently use. There is no reason you should have to switch from HDMI to component and eliminate the one wire convenience (to say nothing of the other benefits of HDMI).

It sounds like your turning on the reciever with the TV remote. I would suggest using the Reciever remote to turn on the tv as that is your central AV hub of control. CEC is really meant for more basic things like Play pause and stop on a DVD from your TV or STB remote which is commanded from the TV to the appropriate link. I dont know if I would trust input switching and more advanced AV features, even if you have all pioneer products.
post #291 of 17109 Old 09-02-2008, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresno1232001 View Post

Now, please, the distance from the front edge of the front feet to the very front of the receiver- and I assume that is the front surface of the two big knobs. What I am saying is, if you put the front two feet as far forward as possible on the shelf, how much room does the rest of the 07 take up going back from the front edge of the shelf?

Many thanks for this measurement.

I won't be able to measure until tonight, hopefully someone else will answer before then, but if not, I will try to remember.

post #292 of 17109 Old 09-02-2008, 03:56 PM

I talked to my local dealer about the SC-05 I ordered about a month ago, they said supposedly it will be in on Thursday. Hopefully I'll be playing with it soon, I mean "auditioning" it soon.
post #293 of 17109 Old 09-02-2008, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresno1232001 View Post

Would one of you SC-07 owners tell me this: What is the distance between the FRONT of the FRONT feet of the 07 and the farthest point forward on the front of the unit? I assume that would be the front of the big two dials.

From the Front edge of the foot, it is 1 and one quarter inch to the front edge of the SC-07

From the EDGE of the rear of the SC-07 (does not include rear connectors) to the front of the edge of the SC-07 it is just shy of 16 and a half inches

Add 5/8 of an inch for the knob

Hope that helps.

post #294 of 17109 Old 09-03-2008, 08:53 AM

I can now confirm that my SC-07 was shipped yesterday from VE and is expected today (NYC). It'll probably take a few days before I can make any useful comments but perhaps I'll post something after tonights' unboxing ceremony.
post #295 of 17109 Old 09-03-2008, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's great news, jjavs! Yes, please share your initial impressions with us.

post #296 of 17109 Old 09-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavs View Post

I can now confirm that my SC-07 was shipped yesterday from VE and is expected today (NYC). It'll probably take a few days before I can make any useful comments but perhaps I'll post something after tonights' unboxing ceremony.

How did you get to purchase in NYC? VE told me once that they could not sell Elite equipment to anyone more then 200mi away.
post #297 of 17109 Old 09-03-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post

How did you get to purchase in NYC? VE told me once that they could not sell Elite equipment to anyone more then 200mi away.

VE is in Scarsdale, 20mi from UWS, Manhattan.
post #298 of 17109 Old 09-03-2008, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavs View Post

I got mine coming from SoundPros, which is very good he sent it 3 day select and didn't charge me for shipping so I am a happy camper as I will have it before the weekend... The questions is do I wait for the new Pioneer Elite Blu-Ray Player 09 or just keep the 51 I still have boxed up, there is a huge price difference, just not sure if it will make a huge difference on the video or audio side if I go with the new Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD. This is all dependent of course on how this thing preforms verses price and what the actual street price will be...

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/22/p...yer-leaks-out/
post #299 of 17109 Old 09-03-2008, 11:16 AM

I think that I am leaning towards the SC05, however, I think what push me would need to purchase a HDMI splitter. Can anyone reccomend one or point me in the direction to find one?

"Man, you're like school on a Saturday.......No Class", Fat Abert-80's Saturday moring cartoon.
post #300 of 17109 Old 09-03-2008, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Is there a release date for the 09FD, Garman? I'm very happy with how the SC-07 integrates with the 51FD right now. BTW, congrats on the delivery time!

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page