post #3091 of 17105 Old 12-08-2008, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgould1669 View Post

I have my speakers front and center set to large,rears set to small crossovers set at 50mgz and sub set to plus.At this set it sounds alot better for the front.I have b&w 683s for the front and b&w61 for the center.pics of speakers.I have pioneer a sc05.

Awesome Home theater, rgould1669!
Looks like you have a lot of fun in there!
Thank you for sharing.

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 17105 Old 12-08-2008, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgeorge78 View Post

Finally Picked mine up today (Traded up a VSX03) to pair with my Elite 151HD.

The ICE amps are quite nice. Much more of a punch than my old 84 or 03.

Anyways, other than the auto power and such is there any benefit in using HDMI control?

I currently have a
Elite DVD46
Direct TV HD10 (component)
360 Elite
PS3
Cable DVR

When I enable HDMI control on both the TV and the receiver, nothing really happens. I would like to see onscreen volume level as my receiver is hidden. Is this possible??

Thanks

Welcome to the ICE Club, kgeorge78
On your plasma display, you want to go into "HOME MENU" "OPTIONS" "HDMI CONTROL SETTINGS" and select the input settings... you should be able to test them in this menu as well..
Hope that works for you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3093 of 17105 Old 12-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

Gov....I'm finding that it depends on the BD I'm playing. For example, Transformers seems to take 4 or 5 more clicks on the vol setting to get it where I want it. The Hulk, on the other hand, would "blow down my walls" at the same setting (I've actually had to put felt under my pictures on the walls to keep them from rattling with my HSU).

I usually settle in at between -18 and -12, depending on what's playing. Then again, my seating area is about 12' away from my display. And, my room is open in the back.

I agree with your post. Actually, when I am alone and what to listen loud, I have been known to go to -5MV With something like The Hulk on BD, -12ish

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #3094 of 17105 Old 12-08-2008, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloDenny View Post

Hi folks,

Will be getting my unit today and couldn't find answers in search.

For my iPod Touch, I currently have the Apple dock and component cables in my current set up. I was thinking of just connecting the component cables to the SC-05 and the audio cables as well. Will that work OK? Am I missing some technical benefits or other features doing it this way? I like to watch my music videos from the Touch to my monitor, and was hoping the SC-05 would be upscaling the component connections with my SC-05 connected to my monitor via HDMI.

For Sirius, I likewise have a receiver and antenna with home kit that has the 2 audio plugs. Can I just connect this up one of the audio connections on the back of the SC-05 and have it work? I have seen pictures of the Sirius connector on the SC-05 and have no idea what kind of cable is intended for that input.

Thanks.

Congratulations, BuffaloDenny
Sorry, can't answer those questions for you. I can only find this regarding Sirius receiver connections.. looks like a 8pin din connector that comes with the Sirius home tuner. According to the manual, they call it a "Din Cable to Sirius -Ready Receiver"
and it comes with the Sirius Home Tuner:http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/serv...6&oldParentID=
Now that you have your SC-05. How did your iPod and Sirius connect? Did you have any problems?

post #3095 of 17105 Old 12-08-2008, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dang Gov
Reminds me of a signature someone here uses:
"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't bleeding yet"

post #3096 of 17105 Old 12-08-2008, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalpo View Post

Worked!! Thanks, my dog is freaking out with all of the surrounds and bass...........so you know its good!

Way cool, bigalpo!
Your dog may not agree though
Please let us know your impressions when you've had time enjoy your new system.

post #3097 of 17105 Old 12-08-2008, 12:03 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by info_dan View Post

One quick note to watch out for... I set the audio parameter "LFE" to OFF, usually when listening to direct stereo... Then later, when listening to multi-channel, I'd wonder why the bass didn't seem that great, realize the sub is not getting any signal, and try to figure out why... Then after some time (shorter the second time, at least...), go DUH!

All that to say that if you're not getting action from the sub, make sure to check the LFE audio parameter setting. Normal value is 0 db...

Also, about your question on watching video from one input and audio from another one, after going through the manual this weekend, I don't think it's possible, haven't seen it mentionned anywhere. I had that on my old Marantz SR7200, and I'm missing it already on occasions...

Dan.

Thanks - I did a quick check, and unfortunately my LFE was On at 0 db. I thought the BIC's were good subs, but I can't seem to get good response while listening to music sources. Strange to me, because when I hooked it up to my very old Onkyo I could hear some good sub action.

On the second note, it's a bummer you can't do that. I used to like to listen to my favorites team's local NFL broadcast on Sirius while watching it on my HD DVR. Oh well....
post #3098 of 17105 Old 12-08-2008, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
when I am alone and what to listen loud, I have been known to go to -5MV

You are a brave man, indeed.....!!!!!!!

I no longer have a spouse. My son lives with me, but he's a 22 year old college student. So, extreme volume is something he relishes in.

As such, I no longer have to listen to "can you PLEASE turn that DOWN!!!!!!!", anymore.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #3099 of 17105 Old 12-08-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

Congratulations, BuffaloDenny

Now that you have your SC-05. How did your iPod and Sirius connect? Did you have any problems?

I connected the Touch via the apple dock and their component cables to the video 1 component input, and the audio cables to video 1. It upscales the videos to 720p when watching on the Video 1 mode.

As for Sirius, I already have a receiver and antenna, and the home kit just has the 2 audio RCA jacks. I plugged them into the CD input and can listen in that mode. Still playing with the listening modes to see what I like best.

Unfortunately, what I cannot do is just listen to either one of them while watching a different source, since my DVR is on HDMI 1 and everything is connected from the SC-05 to the TV via HDMI. The only way around that I can think of is to connect the DVR via component to my TV - not gonna happen. Oh well....
post #3100 of 17105 Old 12-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Thanks - I did a quick check, and unfortunately my LFE was On at 0 db. I thought the BIC's were good subs, but I can't seem to get good response while listening to music sources. Strange to me, because when I hooked it up to my very old Onkyo I could hear some good sub action.........................

Again, if you want to hear your subwoofer when listening to material that doesn't have an LFE channel, you must go to the speaker setup and set the sub to "Plus". This will cause bass sent to the mains to also be sent to the sub.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider

normal on a two month old set..
post #3101 of 17105 Old 12-08-2008, 02:54 PM

Thanks. SOMETHING is wierd at that Magnolia with -20 Db being just normal listening level on the 05. I wonder what? Are those Klipches unusually inefficient? Oh well, who cares, as long as you report that -20 Db is plenty lound.

At Magnolia, -10 Db was just getting irritatingly loud. I looked at my Tandberg 2075 stereo receiver just now. The volume knob goes from zero to nine. I was liistening to the new Elvis CD last night and had it set at 1/6 of the way from zero up to "1". That's right, far closer to zero than to 1. At "1" my Allison One speakers would be blown, and they go for $5,300 per pair now. I have the hearing of a German sheapard, so that was not the problem at Magnolia. I'm playing that CD on a Panny S-97 DVD player and running it into a tape input on the Tandberg. When I play an LP, which is properly playing through a phono input, around "3" on the volume knob is plenty loud. The Tandberg is 75 watts per channel.

The great news is "print out an on-line offer and bring it in and a manager will work with you" at Magnolia. That IS music to my ears.

At least at Magnolia, any thought that the salespeople are knowledgeable is now totally gone. They know that we educate ourselves at sites like this, and they just write up the orders. Before the internet, in the 70's, e.g., you found people in electronics stores who knew world's about the equipment.

Out in the main room they had another 05 playing the audio from a BR concert of The Police. Big $6,500 Elite plasma for the picture. Sitting about 7 feet from that is a LOT like being there. No scan lines visible and crystal clear. Too much for $ for me. A Vanns catalog that just came says 3-D TV is about to break upon us. A football game will be broadcast in 3-D in the next few weeks in the U.S. It will be a 2-D Samsung LN52A650 for me probably as soon as they fall under 2.

And how about those articulating mounts for the big-screens. One for $599- list- at Mag. can be pulled out 26" from the wall and rotates and pans and tilts so you can aim your TV anywhere in the room. And mounting it on that frees up the top shelf of a rack such as my Bello rack. They had this mount bolted to the wall and a big clear piece of plastic where the TV would be, so you can see exactly how the mount works. So cool I'll buy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

My SC-05 gets plently loud around -20db on my dial MCACC calibrated. Normal levels around -35db. At -10db I am getting blown out of the room! My speakers are 8ohm 92db 1 watt/1 meter

post #3102 of 17105 Old 12-08-2008, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresno1232001 View Post

Thanks. SOMETHING is wierd at that Magnolia with -20 Db being just normal listening level on the 05. I wonder what? Are those Klipches unusually inefficient? Oh well, who cares, as long as you report that -20 Db is plenty lound.

At Magnolia, -10 Db was just getting irritatingly loud. I looked at my Tandberg 2075 stereo receiver just now. The volume knob goes from zero to nine.

These AV receivers are different. After the levels are set up properly, 0dB is supposed to be the reference level, i.e. how loud the mixer intended for a movie to be listened to. Most people find that a bit loud and listen at less than 0dB but some are gluttons for punishment and listen louder than 0dB. Music doesn't have any such standards for level but -20 doesn't sound unreasonable.

That said, it sounds like the receiver wasn't set up properly at that store (a common problem) so I wouldn't pay too much attention to how it sounded there. Buy it, run MCACC to set things and be happy.

Dennis H
post #3103 of 17105 Old 12-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:

Dang Gov
Reminds me of a signature someone here uses:
"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't bleeding yet"

Believe me, I don't do that often. And sometimes, I wind up turning it down a bit

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #3104 of 17105 Old 12-08-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Again, if you want to hear your subwoofer when listening to material that doesn't have an LFE channel, you must go to the speaker setup and set the sub to "Plus". This will cause bass sent to the mains to also be sent to the sub.

OK, I wasn't going to do it because someone else recommended I not do it because my sub isn't THX certified. But, your insistence caused me to rethink it, and so far I like it I'll have to see if I need to switch Plus off or not when playing BD movies, but so far I like it. Thanks for the tip.
post #3105 of 17105 Old 12-08-2008, 11:55 PM

I know there's some others interested in this out there, so after some additional thought, please bear with me. I have my D* HD DVR connected to HDMI 1, and my sirius RCA audio jacks connected to CD in. IF, and that's a big if, my D* receiver can send out signals with both an HDMI connected to it and component cables, it might work. Since the SC-05 is connected to my TV via HDMI, when I press the CD input source button, it doesn't send a video signal from my DVR, since it's an audio only jack. Therefore, with components also hooked from my DVR to the TV component jacks, I could just turn on the TV and DVR to control channel surfing by selecting the component input on my TV, presuming the DVR is able send that input signal for the TV to receive. I don't see why not since the HDMI is not in use. I could set up an activity for my Harmony to handle this pretty easily. Might just give it a try. Same would go for my iPod, since I also have audio only cables connected to the CD-R/Tape input on the SC-05.

It's just a once in ahwile situation for me where I like to listen to my iPod or Sirius while surfing TV channels and maybe just watching a sporting event I'm not too interested in, so I don't mind just seeing the action, so I could live with that jerryrigged solution. It'll give me a chance to compare their HD over HDMI vs. component as well. Just trying to get creative to come up with a solution for those of us that are interested in this type of scenario. We'll see how it goes.

Quote:

I connected the Touch via the apple dock and their component cables to the video 1 component input, and the audio cables to video 1. It upscales the videos to 720p when watching on the Video 1 mode.

As for Sirius, I already have a receiver and antenna, and the home kit just has the 2 audio RCA jacks. I plugged them into the CD input and can listen in that mode. Still playing with the listening modes to see what I like best.

Unfortunately, what I cannot do is just listen to either one of them while watching a different source, since my DVR is on HDMI 1 and everything is connected from the SC-05 to the TV via HDMI. The only way around that I can think of is to connect the DVR via component to my TV - not gonna happen. Oh well....

post #3106 of 17105 Old 12-09-2008, 04:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It's done! And by done I mean, it took me almost a week to read through all 104 pages and 3,106 postings on the 05/07. I said it before, but this thread is great support.

Greg

post #3107 of 17105 Old 12-09-2008, 07:37 AM

Does anyone know why the SC-07 does not support Dolby® Digital 5.1 or DTS® 5.1 but the SC-05 does?

Thanks,
Basheer
post #3108 of 17105 Old 12-09-2008, 07:50 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basheer View Post

Does anyone know why the SC-07 does not support Dolby® Digital 5.1 or DTS® 5.1 but the SC-05 does?

Thanks,
Basheer

Ummmm................... My SC-07 does support these.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider

normal on a two month old set..
post #3109 of 17105 Old 12-09-2008, 07:52 AM

Hi all,

Has anyone successfully used the RS-232c control cable to interface with a PC and Pioneer's Advanced MCACC software?

I was thinking of using this adaptor since my laptop does not have a serial port....

http://www.hvwtech.com/products_view...&ProductID=252

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Basheer
post #3110 of 17105 Old 12-09-2008, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks,
Basheer

It does, the Pio website is just does not list them for some reason.

Juan

post #3111 of 17105 Old 12-09-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post

It does, the Pio website is just does not list them for some reason.

Cool, thanks!
post #3112 of 17105 Old 12-09-2008, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Basheer, If you really want to know the technical specs, you should download the manual. all the information and specifications are there.
http://www.pioneer-america.com/PUSA/...G+INSTRUCTIONS
The "compare" on the website just list what they decided to include, so it's not a very accurate tool for side by side comparison. The Brochures are fairly accurate as well. (links on front page)

post #3113 of 17105 Old 12-09-2008, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi all,

Has anyone successfully used the RS-232c control cable to interface with a PC and Pioneer's Advanced MCACC software?

I was thinking of using this adaptor since my laptop does not have a serial port....

http://www.hvwtech.com/products_view...&ProductID=252

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Basheer

I use this cable:
http://microcenter.com/single_produc...uct_id=0201663 and it works fine, another null cable I used did not work.

The USB to serial adaptor will just give you a straight connection.. you will still need a null cable (as above link) as well.

a few of the folks on the SC-09 thread successfully used a belkin USB to serial adaptor.. you may want to check them out to make sure you get one that works.

post #3114 of 17105 Old 12-09-2008, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Im thinking about adding the BDP-51FD(want to pair it up with the SC07) to my theater setup and moving my Panasonic BD30 to my bedroom. My concern is how fast are the load times with the Pioneer over the Panasonic BD players. Also what are the differences between the 51fd and the 05fd? Thanks.

Click the link to see pics of my home theater

post #3115 of 17105 Old 12-09-2008, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just another observation about different vol levels vs the BD being played, plugged in the Golden Compass last night. This is one I had to "back off" to about -20 on the vol scale. Now, I've played this disk at least 10 times before with my "other" AV gear. This time, I heard things I've never heard before (bears chomping their teeth at each other during the big fight scene, as just one example).

Front L/C/R threw out one big soundstage coming from the entire front of my HT (not individual speakers). I could not ascertain speaker position, at all, the soundstage was so big.

My HSU SW has never been so active. I couldn't tell where LFE was located (crossover set at 80 Hz with front speakers set to large), but I certainly "FELT" the bass.

Thinking I may go back to setting my HSU to THX certified and invoking BGC.

Anyway, I heard this disk in a new (and more involving) way than I had before.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #3116 of 17105 Old 12-09-2008, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Main differences between the 05 and 51 are video over component is better on the 05, capacitance buttons, and when using HDMI video, separate audio switching is allowed.
a great source is Ruined faq/bug thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...97&postcount=7, Sherardp.
If load times are critical for you, then the Panasonic is faster (but PS3 is still the champ). If you like being able to tweek and PQ or SQ is important, them the 05/51 is hard to beat for under a grand.... loading times are improving with each firmware (it's about 19 to 30 seconds from turning on to accessing the menus). SD-DVD is fantastic on the 05/51, it integrates wonderfully with the SC-05 and SC-07, the PQLS performs with that combination. It also allows source direct.

post #3117 of 17105 Old 12-09-2008, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

Just another observation about different vol levels vs the BD being played, plugged in the Golden Compass last night. This is one I had to "back off" to about -20 on the vol scale. Now, I've played this disk at least 10 times before with my "other" AV gear. This time, I heard things I've never heard before (bears chomping their teeth at each other during the big fight scene, as just one example).

Front L/C/R threw out one big soundstage coming from the entire front of my HT (not individual speakers). I could not ascertain speaker position, at all, the soundstage was so big.

My HSU SW has never been so active. I couldn't tell where LFE was located (crossover set at 80 Hz with front speakers set to large), but I certainly "FELT" the bass.

Thinking I may go back to setting my HSU to THX certified and invoking BGC.

Anyway, I heard this disk in a new (and more involving) way than I had before.

Cool, graphicguy!

Thanks for sharing. Really appreciate your comparisions with your previous equipment.

Glad you don't seem bored with your beast yet

Seems there's always something more to try or experiment with it.

post #3118 of 17105 Old 12-09-2008, 12:01 PM

I can put you in touch with an authorized GOLD ELITE dealer that will offer it to you under $1500.

They are located in Richmond Hill...only a 30 minute drive from downtown Toronto.

PM me.

Basheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tergon View Post

I want to buy the Pioneer SC-05 in Canada. Having trouble finding and online dealer in Canadian Dollars, or a store that will give me a deal on this receiver. Every store that I have been into will only quote full retail, of about $1899.99. There should be a place or online that I can get a deal on this receiver, and ideas would help thanks in advance.

post #3119 of 17105 Old 12-09-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:

Basheer, If you really want to know the technical specs, you should download the manual. all the information and specifications are there.
http://www.pioneer-america.com/PUSA/...G+INSTRUCTIONS
The "compare" on the website just list what they decided to include, so it's not a very accurate tool for side by side comparison. The Brochures are fairly accurate as well. (links on front page)

I did refer to the manual before I posted...but the only reference to supported formats was on page 123....but it didn't specifically say whether or not those formats were supported by either the SC-05 or SC-07.

Page 35-37 which talked about surround modes did not reference them either.

Basheer
post #3120 of 17105 Old 12-09-2008, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did refer to the manual before I posted...but the only reference to supported formats was on page 123....but it didn't specifically say whether or not those formats were supported by either the SC-05 or SC-07.

Page 35-37 which talked about surround modes did not reference them either.

Basheer

Everything in the manual is referenced to BOTH the SC-05 and SC-07. Any thing that does not refer to both is delineated as such, whether specific to the 05 or the 07.

05-1.3H BJC-3808-1.3H BJC-5080
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page