Official Pioneer SC-05 and SC-07 Owners Thread - Page 105 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3121 of 17097 Old 12-09-2008, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anybody know if these receivers can have video output from one input and audio output from a different input?

I'm actually wondering about this for my 94TXH but that thread is dead and that receiver is very similar to these two. Basically what I want to do is be able to output video from my HDMI 3 (cable box) and audio from my CD input (whole home audio). I share the speakers for my home theater with my whole home audio.

If I can do this I can essentially listen to the home audio while watching TV (perfect for parties with a game on in the background). Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3122 of 17097 Old 12-09-2008, 03:13 PM

Liked: 10
Anyone have any ideas where I can get a good deal on a Pioneer SC-05 in the Toronto/Newmarket area Canada. A real deal blow retail not $1900.

Pioneer Elite rules the house!!!, but the little one is a close second!!
post #3123 of 17097 Old 12-09-2008, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks-man View Post

Does anybody know if these receivers can have video output from one input and audio output from a different input?

I'm actually wondering about this for my 94TXH but that thread is dead and that receiver is very similar to these two. Basically what I want to do is be able to output video from my HDMI 3 (cable box) and audio from my CD input (whole home audio). I share the speakers for my home theater with my whole home audio.

If I can do this I can essentially listen to the home audio while watching TV (perfect for parties with a game on in the background). Thanks.

No, and that is why I don't run my STB or regular DVD video thru my SC-05.

Juan

My HT
post #3124 of 17097 Old 12-09-2008, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Sound and Vision review of the SC-07 by Daniel Kumin is available in pdf format from Pioneer's website now.
http://www.pioneer-america.com/ephox...c07_eprint.pdf

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
post #3125 of 17097 Old 12-09-2008, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tergon View Post

Anyone have any ideas where I can get a good deal on a Pioneer SC-05 in the Toronto/Newmarket area Canada. A real deal blow retail not $1900.

basheer says he knows a dealer 30 minutes from Toronto, Tergon
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post15255747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basheer View Post

I can put you in touch with an authorized GOLD ELITE dealer that will offer it to you under $1500.

They are located in Richmond Hill...only a 30 minute drive from downtown Toronto.

PM me.

Basheer

post #3126 of 17097 Old 12-09-2008, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Haven't tried this but thinking...

Does your cd player support digital out? If so, and your cable box outputs component simultaneously like the directv one does, why not connect your cable to one of the component inputs as well?
Then run your cd input to another audio input...

Hear me out... say cable into video 2 and audio into opt 2... then in the setup menu have video2 output and opt 2 assigned to another device on your remote like like DVR...
So normal tv viewing would be HDMI 3, just select DVR and video would be from the tv and audio from the cd...

I know.. logic is wonderful, but doesn't beat real life....

post #3127 of 17097 Old 12-09-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

Haven't tried this but thinking...

Does your cd player support digital out? If so, and your cable box outputs component simultaneously like the directv one does, why not connect your cable to one of the component inputs as well?
Then run your cd input to another audio input...

Hear me out... say cable into video 2 and audio into opt 2... then in the setup menu have video2 output and opt 2 assigned to another device on your remote like like DVR...
So normal tv viewing would be HDMI 3, just select DVR and video would be from the tv and audio from the cd...

I know.. logic is wonderful, but doesn't beat real life....

That is the other question that I'm checking on the cable box thread. If the box can output HDMI and Component simultaneously than I can just have the Component video and the whole home audio on the same input and get what I'm looking for. I have the DCH 3416 for Comcast Cable and for some reason I don't believe that it outputs both HDMI and Component at the same time but I'm trying to get confirmation of this.
post #3128 of 17097 Old 12-09-2008, 05:05 PM

Greetings.

I had ordered the 05 and hopefully receive it before the weekend. I am lucky to audition the 05 at home before making the purchase. What a wonderful receiver and the power it delivers is amazing. If only Pioneer can make a detachable power cord....that would be the perfect world

Have a question regarding the MCACC. What is purpose of outputting the file to a PC? Is it to provide a nicer 3D graphics look? Are you able to tweak the settings/curves from the PC and sending it back to the receiver?

This thread is extremely helpful and thank you all for your great posts.
post #3129 of 17097 Old 12-09-2008, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

according to this you can:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/2175803/DC...ide-537529001c and this
http://www.hdtvbestprices.com/archiv.../2/8/news.aspx
But should be easy to find out... just connect via component as well to your AVR, and a/b it from the remote...
I use component to utilitize the "TV" switch with HDMI control on with the HR21.. but I also have it connected to HDMI IN.. no difference in quality

post #3130 of 17097 Old 12-09-2008, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3390659 View Post

Greetings.

I had ordered the 05 and hopefully receive it before the weekend. I am lucky to audition the 05 at home before making the purchase. What a wonderful receiver and the power it delivers is amazing. If only Pioneer can make a detachable power cord....that would be the perfect world

Have a question regarding the MCACC. What is purpose of outputting the file to a PC? Is it to provide a nicer 3D graphics look? Are you able to tweak the settings/curves from the PC and sending it back to the receiver?

This thread is extremely helpful and thank you all for your great posts.

j3390659,
Congratulations! Welcome to the forums!

It's mostly for show.. it allows you look at all the settings graphically.
Not true, you can also save your settings as well..
The newest manuals and software for it are linked on the first page.
You can also export the data into a spreadsheet.
But all your changes have to be made on your SC-05 the PC won't control it..

Hope to hear (read) your impressions when you get your new baby in!

PS: ss9001 did a cool one here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post14034602
comparing his last AVR with the SC-09

post #3131 of 17097 Old 12-09-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:

according to this you can:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/2175803/DC...ide-537529001c and this
http://www.hdtvbestprices.com/archiv.../2/8/news.aspx
But should be easy to find out... just connect via component as well to your AVR, and a/b it from the remote...
I use component to utilitize the "TV" switch with HDMI control on with the HR21.. but I also have it connected to HDMI IN.. no difference in quality

What page on the user guide did you see it? I took a look through it but might have missed it. Somebody on another thread did say it was possible. Your second link only says it supports multiple streams simultaneously which I think is talking about the fact that there are two tuners (I may be wrong about interpreting this).

My AVR is inside of my rack and difficult to get access to so I wanted to research the answer first before going through the effort of setting it up. Thanks for your help on it.
post #3132 of 17097 Old 12-09-2008, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

On the right side is an index, if you search for HDMI and component it shows up

post #3133 of 17097 Old 12-09-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:

On the right side is an index, if you search for HDMI and component it shows up

That is an index to a question (I believe mine from google) that leads to the document of the user guide (last searches that lead to this guide). It is a question but not an answer and I couldn't find an answer from the user guide.

It sounds like somebody may be doing something similar on a different thread and i'm waiting for confirmation that it works.

Thanks again.
post #3134 of 17097 Old 12-09-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:

j3390659,
Congratulations! Welcome to the forums!

It's mostly for show.. it allows you look at all the settings graphically.
Not true, you can also save your settings as well..
The newest manuals and software for it are linked on the first page.
You can also export the data into a spreadsheet.
But all your changes have to be made on your SC-05 the PC won't control it..

Hope to hear (read) your impressions when you get your new baby in!

PS: ss9001 did a cool one here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post14034602
comparing his last AVR with the SC-09

With my brief 2 days audition of the SC-05, I am impressed with its power and the MCACC feature. I didn't have the chance to use a sound level meter to check how accurate the level balance goes (too happy on watching many movies). The sound quality is really good from a receiver (replacing pre/proc with the 05). Transparent, dynamic and not harsh on the top end.

One thing I got to try is to biamp the speakers to see if it can drive my 88db front speakers.

Is this the place to talk about HDMI cables? Do you guys have any preference?
post #3135 of 17097 Old 12-09-2008, 08:10 PM

Monoprice for cables.
post #3136 of 17097 Old 12-09-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:

I was essentially able to get this accomplished, in a roundabout way. See post 3106 for details, but basically my DirecTV DVR runs through my SC-05 via HDMI, and I connected the same DVR directly to the TV via component. Set it all up with respect to inputs in my harmony so that with the push of one button I can listen to my Sirius receiver while watching and controlling TV, and can also do the same with listening to my iPod while watching and controlling the TV.
post #3137 of 17097 Old 12-10-2008, 04:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloDenny View Post

I was essentially able to get this accomplished, in a roundabout way. See post 3106 for details, but basically my DirecTV DVR runs through my SC-05 via HDMI, and I connected the same DVR directly to the TV via component. Set it all up with respect to inputs in my harmony so that with the push of one button I can listen to my Sirius receiver while watching and controlling TV, and can also do the same with listening to my iPod while watching and controlling the TV.

For those who have the SC-07, you could set it up in an even more flexible way if you're not currently using zone 2: Connect the component, S-Video or composite (as well as the HDMI, of course) from your sources to the SC-07, and run your Zone 2 component out to the TV. You can then watch any video input you want on Zone 2 (except HDMI sources, of course) and get any audio you want from the main zone.

Just an additional idea...

Dan.
post #3138 of 17097 Old 12-10-2008, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloDenny View Post

Thank you BuffaloDenny!
Great idea/solution. I'll add post 3106 to the front page as a link.
I didn't realize you were actually using that method. I had read it as something you were still going to try, sorry.
Thank you for sharing!

infoDan,
Thank you, will add your solution as well.

Too bad they don't give this kind of documented options.. the older Pioneers and Marantz used to.. (don't know if the newer Marantz's still do)..
But nice to know these monsters are still flexible enough to allow 'creative field engineering'

post #3139 of 17097 Old 12-10-2008, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3390659 View Post

With my brief 2 days audition of the SC-05, I am impressed with its power and the MCACC feature. I didn't have the chance to use a sound level meter to check how accurate the level balance goes (too happy on watching many movies). The sound quality is really good from a receiver (replacing pre/proc with the 05). Transparent, dynamic and not harsh on the top end.

One thing I got to try is to biamp the speakers to see if it can drive my 88db front speakers.

Is this the place to talk about HDMI cables? Do you guys have any preference?

I would like to know what you think when you bi-amp them, j3390659.
What kind of speakers?
I bi-amped my 704s, maybe a little difference, but nothing to convince me it was worth it (statement qualifier: YET).. but it may be mine are still breaking in..

rw88 is right, monoprice is a great place to start looking for HDMI cables. Blue Jeans Cables is another..
both offer good prices and excellent quality, best of all, they are AVS sponsors as well

post #3140 of 17097 Old 12-10-2008, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Charles....thanks for posting the S&V review. Just some observations when comparing it to what David wrote about in the Ultimate AV tests.

While the SC 05 hits almost identical power ratings compared to the SC 07, it does so driving 7 channels vs the SC 07's 5 channels (138 W). Also, while the SC 05s power goes up when testing 7 channels vs 5 channels, the SC 07s power rating goes down when comparing 2 channels vs 5 channels. It'd be interesting to see what they found at 5 channels driven between both.

At 5 channels driven, the SC 05 gives up about 20 Watts to the SC 07. But gains those 20 watts back with 7 channels driven.

Also be interesting to see what S&V found at different THD levels, too.

I still believe the ICE power amps of the SC 05 and the SC 07 are the same.

Interesting anomalies, nonetheless!

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #3141 of 17097 Old 12-10-2008, 09:47 AM

Please forgive what must be a silly question given the 100+ pages in this thread....

But if the ICE power amps are the same, why is the SC-07 advertised as 140 Watts per channel vs the 130 of the SC-05...?

Do you think it's just a marketing gimmick?

Thanks,
Basheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

Charles....thanks for posting the S&V review. Just some observations when comparing it to what David wrote about in the Ultimate AV tests.

While the SC 05 hits almost identical power ratings compared to the SC 07, it does so driving 7 channels vs the SC 07's 5 channels (138 W). Also, while the SC 05s power goes up when testing 7 channels vs 5 channels, the SC 07s power rating goes down when comparing 2 channels vs 5 channels. It'd be interesting to see what they found at 5 channels driven between both.

At 5 channels driven, the SC 05 gives up about 20 Watts to the SC 07. But gains those 20 watts back with 7 channels driven.

post #3142 of 17097 Old 12-10-2008, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Please forgive what must be a silly question given the 100+ pages in this thread....

But if the ICE power amps are the same, why is the SC-07 advertised as 140 Watts per channel vs the 130 of the SC-05...?

Thanks,
Basheer

Yup, pretty much.

Juan

My HT
post #3143 of 17097 Old 12-10-2008, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks,
Basheer

It's an ongoing discussion, Basheer..
In reality, what does 10 Watts per channel actually add or take away (like ultra 2 plus vs select2 plus certification).... from the fact that either receiver is great.
It won't be definitively be resolved until it's actually taken to a lab and tested..
But, hey, at least it gives us something to worry about!

post #3144 of 17097 Old 12-10-2008, 10:04 AM

Apologies if this has been answered already, but can anyone confirm whether (or not) the input HDMI signals are still output when the receiver is in standby. I know the higher end Yamaha's have this "HDMI pass-thru in standby" feature. Is this or similar also available on the SC-05/07 ?
post #3145 of 17097 Old 12-10-2008, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't believe so..
One member says it's an HDMI control issue. Both devices in the chain have to support it. (cable/sat box as well)
Might want to check this discussion.. it's about 6 posts long.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post15163862

post #3146 of 17097 Old 12-10-2008, 11:40 AM

Thanks - that's a first for me - I hope it helps others You were right when you read 3106, at the time it was just a thought. But I couldn't wait and last night I tested it all out and updated my Harmony, and it works perfect for my application.

I'm glad I can take full advantage of this receivers audio along with having the flexibility to view some nice HD content of my choosing while doing so. This had been the one thing lacking since I joined the SC-05/07 club, but now all is well and I'm a very happy camper! The other idea from infoDan sounds promising as well for the 07 folks.

Quote:

Thank you BuffaloDenny!
Great idea/solution. I'll add post 3106 to the front page as a link.
I didn't realize you were actually using that method. I had read it as something you were still going to try, sorry.
Thank you for sharing!

infoDan,
Thank you, will add your solution as well.

Too bad they don't give this kind of documented options.. the older Pioneers and Marantz used to.. (don't know if the newer Marantz's still do)..
But nice to know these monsters are still flexible enough to allow 'creative field engineering'

post #3147 of 17097 Old 12-10-2008, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

An anomaly is any occurrence or object that is strange, unusual, or unique

I thnk that pretty much sums up our experiences
What other receiver gives you more power with more load?
Quote:

At 5 channels driven, the SC 05 gives up about 20 Watts to the SC 07. But gains those 20 watts back with 7 channels driven

Good choice of words, graphicguy.

post #3148 of 17097 Old 12-10-2008, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

...But if the ICE power amps are the same, why is the SC-07 advertised as 140 Watts per channel vs the 130 of the SC-05...?

Yes, and it's a pretty universal one with receiver manufacturers, not just Pioneer. Whenever two or or more receivers in the same line have the essentially the same chassis (verifiable by their dimensions and weight) and the advertised wattage difference is nominal (e.g. 10 watts), there probably is no real difference in actual output.

Quote:

... In reality, what does 10 Watts per channel actually add or take away...

Virtually nothing. Less than 0.1dB of maximum output. There is probably more unit to unit manufacturing tolerance than that.
Quote:

It won't be definitively be resolved until it's actually taken to a lab and tested...

The same lab, testing both in exactly the same way. Even then, you'd probably need multiple samples of each to be certain.
post #3149 of 17097 Old 12-10-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:

I would like to know what you think when you bi-amp them, j3390659.
What kind of speakers?
I bi-amped my 704s, maybe a little difference, but nothing to convince me it was worth it (statement qualifier: YET).. but it may be mine are still breaking in..

rw88 is right, monoprice is a great place to start looking for HDMI cables. Blue Jeans Cables is another..
both offer good prices and excellent quality, best of all, they are AVS sponsors as well

The SC-05 will be driving my Hales Concept Two. I am using mono blocks (450watts) for the front 3 channels.

Thank you for the recommendation on the HDMI cables. I will take a look at both sites.
post #3150 of 17097 Old 12-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

I still don't quite understand this, it makes no sense to me

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page