Forum Jump: 

post #3301 of 17097 Old 12-15-2008, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahameh View Post

Thanks Graphic Guy, I have read the threads on a number of forums and there are only a few brands which don't get lots of complaints and Pioneer is one of them. I think I'll go ahead with the 05 (LX71). I don't yet have Blue ray and I don't have to upgrade yet, but one cable into the TV and better surround sound, particularly at lower listening levels is very attractive. I also like the idea of internet streaming radio wihtout having to put on the computer which makes a noise in the TV room and takes time to start up.
Just as an aside, is it possible to have folder of favourite stations for quick access?

Yes there is a favorites folder for internet radio stations. Actually multiple folders organized as you wish. You can manage that the Pioneer vTuner web site.

I like the internet radio feature. It allows me to listen to my favorite radio stations stations both locally and in other places I used to live. Also I am 60 miles from them and get poor reception without a good antenna so that is also a benefit.

There is alot of interesting stuff out there. I've found a station that provides podcasts of NPR broadcasts and features so I can listen to those at my leisure. Just another great feature of an awesome AVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 17097 Old 12-15-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

If you want your subwoofer to output with CD's or other source material that lacks an LFE channel, go to the speaker setup and set your sub to "Plus". This will cause any bass directed to the mains to also be directed to the subwoofer.

will this "Plus" sertting effect other playback on media with an LFE channel? In other words am I going to have to change this setting all the time? Thanks for the info. BTW, this did fix my problem!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3303 of 17097 Old 12-15-2008, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahameh View Post

Just as an aside, is it possible to have folder of favourite stations for quick access?

Grahameh;

To add to anleva's statement, you might want to go here as well,

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14777865

It works great, I prefer CDs or FLAC, but it's fun to play with, and the THX nueral radio is pretty good. Internet radio on the other hand, has so many choices it gives me a headache... the favorites folder really makes it convenient for storing your favorite stations and podcasts.

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
post #3304 of 17097 Old 12-15-2008, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
after being disappointed with little if any improvement in overall SQ - from my 45TX of

Yamaha 3800 and
SC-05

I'm going to source and buy a 2nd hand 59TX and be done with for a few years till the amps I would like that can support HD sound are within my price range

I still hold the opinion that even for HD material, old high end amp sounds a lot better than new mid-range amp that does support HD material

afterall some websites have done blind tests 640kbps D.Digital and TruHD/Lossless - with VERY high end equipment and there was little if no difference.
post #3305 of 17097 Old 12-15-2008, 08:54 AM

Hi all,

I'm new to the whole Home Theater Audio/Video systems and I purchased an sc-05 and some new speakers. Although many of my new speakers haven't arrived yet, I do have some old bose and polk bookshelfs I'm using as a center, left and right and back surround. My Outlaw LFM-1 EX subwoofer came in and I hooked that up. What I don't know is which format should I be listening to when watching bluray, verizon fiostv, and cds? I did do the mcacc setup and watch a couple of movies and getting good results from my subwoofer, but I'm not sure if I'm watching/listening in the right formats. Sometimes I see the sc-05 shows PCM and other times it shows DPLIIx something like that. I've looked at the manual and there is so many options.

Thanks,
s-one
post #3306 of 17097 Old 12-15-2008, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

Charles....quick question, you've got the 51FD BD player, right? Visiting some friends who live one state over from me. They've got a Magnolia near their home, so I decided to check them out.

The set up in the store was with an Elite Kuro, hooked up with an Elite BD (don't remember the model number, but let's assume it's current).

Understand that I've got the "regular KURO 6020". But, they happened to have Ironman playing on the set up in the showroom. PQ was outstanding.....best I've ever seen....on any set up. Colors really popped. Detail was very good. I'm going to make a leap of faith here in believing the 51 FD is going to be very similar to the Elite BD.

Got home this a.m. Looked on ebay and found a place selling refurbs of the 51FD for a very nice price ($360...even less with MS cash back).

Given that I'm looking to upgrade from my PS3, are my above assumptions correct? More specifically, the 51FD, with the latest FW is pretty much "glitch free"?

Graphicguy,
Yes, I have the BDP-51FD.. and I really love it. FW 1.17b took care of a lot of performance issues. Only difference with the BDp-05FD is slightly better COMPONENT video, and looks. Everything else video and audio wise, is identical, it even shares the same firmware.
Best place to start researching is here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post14420797
Ruined put a really good FAQ together there.

That said, I have never had a problem with anything I've played. Others have. YMMV.. I would buy it again. If you like tweeking, it's the only sub 1000 unit to have.

I would be concerned about a refurb on EBay, unless you know the people selling and know it's truely refurbished from Pioneer. But you know the creveats regarding that, so I won't go into it...
The good thing is since it's a non-elite, they can be sold freely on the internet by authorized dealers... Robert or another sponsor may give you a good price.

post #3307 of 17097 Old 12-15-2008, 09:14 AM

I thought I would let any prospective buyers know that Magnolia has the 05 and the 07 on sale right now and through the end of the year at a good discount. It is possible to get an even better price than what they are offering if you play your cards right.
post #3308 of 17097 Old 12-15-2008, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Charles....thanks. I tweaked my PS3 a bit and am happy again. Apparently, when I switched from one AVR to the other, there was some video clipping going on with my other AVR.

Also, the only BD I wasn't pleased with was the Ironman BD. I'm usually very good at keeping my disks in good shape. During my tweaking, the disk also froze up when skipping chapters. That was a first for my PS3, so something had to be amiss. For whatever reason, I happened to look at the underside of the disk and it was very dirty. Cleaned it up and all is well.

I'm using "user" setting on my KURO (which allows me to really tweak the picture). I came to the conclusion that most in-store displays are running their KUROs in dynamic mode. While that means there is a lot of color saturation, it's also unnatural looking (and not very good for the plasma, either).

I prefer natural.

Again, thanks!

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #3309 of 17097 Old 12-15-2008, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-one View Post

Hi all,

I'm new to the whole Home Theater Audio/Video systems and I purchased an sc-05 and some new speakers. Although many of my new speakers haven't arrived yet, I do have some old bose and polk bookshelfs I'm using as a center, left and right and back surround. My Outlaw LFM-1 EX subwoofer came in and I hooked that up. What I don't know is which format should I be listening to when watching bluray, verizon fiostv, and cds? I did do the mcacc setup and watch a couple of movies and getting good results from my subwoofer, but I'm not sure if I'm watching/listening in the right formats. Sometimes I see the sc-05 shows PCM and other times it shows DPLIIx something like that. I've looked at the manual and there is so many options.

Thanks,
s-one

s-one....what blu ray player are you using? Sometimes you have to go into the player's set up menu to choose whether you want to LPCM output to the SC 05 (meaning, the player decodes), or bitstream (meaning the SC 05 decodes). Then, not all BD default to the hi rez codecs. You actually have to go into the disks set up options and choose the hi rez codec.

As far as cable/SAT service, it depends on the channel. For example, many HBO programs actually broadcast in DD 5.1. Some, do not. Personally, I've got mine set up to default to whatever codec the program puts out. Then, I add DPL IIx and ES processing to it.

You're set up with HDMI connections, right?

post #3310 of 17097 Old 12-15-2008, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-one View Post

Hi all,

Thanks,
s-one

Can't wait to hear what your impressions are once you get all your speakers in and setup, s-one
My preference is to keep my SC-07 on STREAM DIRECT.. that way you get what you are supposed to hear. TrueHD shows as TrueHD, etc.. Especially for Blu-Ray discs.
If you are watching TV in stereo and want to hear all your speakers, EXT. Stereo is good with the Advanced Sound Effects.
With DD, you have several choices:

The great thing is you have so many choices.. the bad thing is you have so many choices

Playing with the buttons is half the fun.

Your Blu-Ray discs, however, I would definitely play with Stream Direct.

edit: sorry, didn't realize graphicguy already answered.. and much more cohently.

post #3311 of 17097 Old 12-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlmidnight View Post

will this "Plus" sertting effect other playback on media with an LFE channel? In other words am I going to have to change this setting all the time? Thanks for the info. BTW, this did fix my problem!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think you'll have to switch back and forth. It works fine for me leaving it set to "Plus" all the time.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #3312 of 17097 Old 12-15-2008, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, the PS3 is a great all around performer.
On Kuro, I usually have it set to color space auto and dot by dot mode with Blu-Ray.. awesome

By strange coincidence.. I watched Iron Man again as well last night...
When he was flying all over the place... I ducked a couple of times

post #3313 of 17097 Old 12-15-2008, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good fortune in finding exactly what works for you, markabuckley.
Per chance have you looked at the SC-09?

At any rate, hope you find something that blows you away!

post #3314 of 17097 Old 12-15-2008, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToSi View Post

considering a SC05/07 - just installed the MCACC program to get a feel for its capabilities - could someone pm or point me to a sample file to try?

Also, briefly skimmed the manual but didn't see the answer - is it possible to use a phantom center w/ the latest HD (or older DTS) formats? Asking because my B&K pre won't mix DTS center into the main channels..

Thanks!

page 26

When you do MCACC, it should know you don't have a center speaker in the initial analyzing..
Should not be a problem and someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

ss9001 did a pretty good MCACC file here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post14034602
it has a zipped data file linked you can download.

Latest MCACC manual for the MCACC are linked on the first page.
http://www.pioneer-america.com/Stati...ctions0708.pdf

Latest software 2.1 is here:
http://www.pioneer-america.com/Stati..._e_ver_2_1.exe

post #3315 of 17097 Old 12-15-2008, 10:29 AM

I'm thinking about ripping my CD collection to an external hard drive and either plugging into my SC-05 (front USB) or my Oppo 983H (rear USB). I will be using Exact Audio Copy (EAC) to rip my CD's to FLAC files. Does anyone out there have any experience with this configuration? It seems pretty simple. Rip CD's to hard drive at PC, then plug hard drive into SC-05 USB connection and access via HMG. I'm looking at a 750G Western Digital drive. It's glossy black with a nice blue indicator on the front which would complement the SC-05 nicely. Any thoughts?
post #3316 of 17097 Old 12-15-2008, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
thanks CHP_VR

SC-09 would be very good

WAY out of my price bracket though !

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

Good fortune in finding exactly what works for you, markabuckley.
Per chance have you looked at the SC-09?

At any rate, hope you find something that blows you away!

post #3317 of 17097 Old 12-15-2008, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, the PS3 is a great all around performer.
On Kuro, I usually have it set to color space auto and dot by dot mode with Blu-Ray.. awesome

By strange coincidence.. I watched Iron Man again as well last night...
When he was flying all over the place... I ducked a couple of times

Charles....that's the exact set up I finally settled on. You're right.....you almost want to "duck" using the HD codec.

On another note, I was in Half Priced Books last night, dropping off the stuff I've read, in trade for some stuff I haven't read.

Saw a guy bring in a big tub of CDs to sell. Just happened to follow him back to the "sell" counter. Saw the clerk start taking out some DVD-As and SACDs. These things are getting rarer and rarer.

Anyway, among the "finds" I saw in this tub was some Elton John multi-channel disks. Namely, "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", "Tumbleweed
Connection" and "Madman Across The Water". I waited until the clerk gave the seller his "voucher" for the buy price. I then asked the clerk if I could buy them. BTW, I don't know how much the clerk gave the seller for these disks as it was part of a whole group of disks. But, the clerk said they'd sell all three disks for $18. I jumped on it.

Understand, I'm not an Elton John fan. But, these disks probably represent the best creative period of his long career. They are also among the earliest of his work (mid-late '70s, I'm guessing?).

I haven't heard any of this music for a very long time. And, what I have heard of it has been on compressed oldie radio stations.

Popped in "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" into my OPPO....expecting to just skip through the tracks, a few seconds at a time to get a feel for how they sounded. From the first strains of the wind and bells of "Love Lies Bleeding", I was "hooked".

Ended up sitting and listening to the whole thing in its entirety. Did the same for "Tumbleweed" and "Madman". This was a wonderful way to pass an hour, two or three on a dreary winter day. Recording was absolutely top notch. The SC 05 and OPPO presented it gloriously, to boot.

Guess I'm an Elton fan, now.

post #3318 of 17097 Old 12-15-2008, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike66 View Post

Yes, I could return the SC. However, with everything I've read by owners, the SQ was supposed to be very good. Right now, I'm not hearing that.

Is the right question to ask, and not taking into consideration the obvious connectivity upgrade the SC has over the 49:

is it likely that the SC-05 cannot compete with the audio quality of the 49TXi?

And regarding another post, you cannot always make a blanket statement that just because one costs more than the other, it is automatically going to be better.

I did not buy the SC-05 wanting this thing to fail. If I do return it (which is gonna cost me $$$), I'm left in my original position that made me buy the SC in the first place. And unfortunately, Pioneer's current flagship is way too expensive. And who's to say it would sound better than my 49?

Mike

Mike very sorry, you weren't initially happy with the sound of your SC-05.
Have you had any time to "play" with it some more? What about CT_Wiebe advice regarding running MCACC and X-Curve?
The 49TXi and 59TXi were very special, I don't know if anything would give you the same sonic quaility. But I sure hope the SC is not continuing to dissappoint you. Have you done any calibration from scratch, or just plugged in your SC-05 with the same settings you used for your 49TXi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

BigMike66 -- You might try various settings in the manual speaker setup (page 56 of your SC-05 manual). Specifically the "X-Curve" feature described on page 58. That will "cool" off the highs and "in effect" give you more low frequency output.

What you ran into is that, in the process of upgrading the video features, they lost some of the audio capabilities (especially since your "old" 49 was closer to the newer 09, than it is to the SC-05).

I assume that you ran the MCACC to "calibrate" your audio system. That will make a big difference in the audio performance (if you do it per the instructions in the manual - you have a choice of either automatic and manual calibration with the MCACC).

post #3319 of 17097 Old 12-15-2008, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Whoa, don't you love it on those rare days when you truely come accross a great find and bargain?
Congratulations, graphicguy good catch on the SACDs!

And now you can look for weird glasses to wear when you're listening to Elton

post #3320 of 17097 Old 12-15-2008, 10:50 AM

Hey thank you graphicguy and CHP_VR. The bluray player I have is a Samsung BDP-1500 and yes everything is hooked via HDMI which by the way works very well with the sc-05 for both bluray and dvr box. I'll look into using the stream direct. Is there a certain cross over frequency I should put my subwoofer and sc-05 to? Right now it's on default from when I opened the box. Thanks again guys!

s-one
post #3321 of 17097 Old 12-15-2008, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

s-one, it would depend on your main speakers as rule.. but you might want to start at 80hz which is the default. That seems to work for me. But that may change when I get my new subwoofer.

Question on that subject for those in the know:

My current subwoofer has cut over frequency filters...
right now, I have it at 80hz and have the SC-07 set at 80Hz as well..
Is that correct or does it matter scince my AVR sends at 80Hz or should I have it set at something higher?

post #3322 of 17097 Old 12-15-2008, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRoad View Post

Gentlemen, I have just joined the ICE club via an SC 07. It should arrive late next week. I must say I am a bit nervous though. I did not listen to it in store since that seems to be a waste of time to truly evaulate AVRs. I am coming from an Elite 94. These last few posts have me a bit unsettled. I have read that some of you have come from the 94 as well. Can anyone give me further review/input regarding the "upgrade" from the 94 to an 05/07? I am hoping it is worth it since I got an absolutely killer deal on it from an authorized dealer.

Congratulations CrossRoad

Welcome to the ICE Club.
Truthfully, I do not think you will regret it!
Other's coming from the VSX-94TX have not regretted it.
Please keep us up to date let us know what you think.

post #3323 of 17097 Old 12-15-2008, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorZ View Post

I'm thinking about ripping my CD collection to an external hard drive and either plugging into my SC-05 (front USB) or my Oppo 983H (rear USB). I will be using Exact Audio Copy (EAC) to rip my CD's to FLAC files. Does anyone out there have any experience with this configuration? It seems pretty simple. Rip CD's to hard drive at PC, then plug hard drive into SC-05 USB connection and access via HMG. I'm looking at a 750G Western Digital drive. It's glossy black with a nice blue indicator on the front which would complement the SC-05 nicely. Any thoughts?

The program (EAC) should work.. however, plugging in a USB harddrive may not.. I think you will have to plug it into a media server, DoctorZ and have your SC-05 connect via the server.. I don't know that going in directly via the USB to your SC-05 is supported. I don't believe it is.

post #3324 of 17097 Old 12-15-2008, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The program (EAC) should work.. however, plugging in a USB harddrive may not.. I think you will have to plug it into a media server, DoctorZ and have your SC-05 connect via the server.. I don't know that going in directly via the USB to your SC-05 is supported. I don't believe it is.

Charles is correct, I tried plugging in a USB hard drive and it did not work, but the hard drive was not powered. I think if the USB hard drive is powered, it should work.

Juan

My HT
post #3325 of 17097 Old 12-15-2008, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

s-one, it would depend on your main speakers as rule.. but you might want to start at 80hz which is the default. That seems to work for me. But that may change when I get my new subwoofer.

Is that correct or does it matter scince my AVR sends at 80Hz or should I have it set at something higher?

Charles....s-one, I've played with the sub crossovers a lot (all within the SC 05, not the SWs crossover). My fronts drop off at 50 Hz. So, for now, I've got the crossover set there. Had them crossed over at 80 Hz to the sub (which is a HSU that goes from roughly 150Hz down to 18 Hz with appreciable output. I've gone back and forth between invoking boundary gain on and off in the SC 05, too. Right now, it's on. And that took care of the "boominess" I was getting in my room. But, you have to set your sub to THX in the SC 05's set up to use it.

I'm narrowing it down. I keep switching back and forth between setting the crossover between 80 Hz and 50 Hz, and can't decide which I like better (both give good sound, just subtly different characteristics).

I'm of the opinion it depends how low your main speakers go.

I know FilmMixer recommends 80 Hz crossover across the board.

This is one of those questions where it takes a bit of experimentation (which I'm still doing) to get something you like. I'm getting close, real close.

BTW....the only time I can use the crossovers in my HSU is when I DON'T use the pre-out from the SC 05. By using the pre-out, I set the crossover in the SC 05 instead of the HSU.

post #3326 of 17097 Old 12-15-2008, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks graphicguy!

post #3327 of 17097 Old 12-15-2008, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Juan.
Gonna have to try it then, I got a couple of USB harddrives sitting around.. I thought at minimum they would have to be FAT16 or 32 format.

post #3328 of 17097 Old 12-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Liked: 103
Graphicguy,

Don't forget that even with an 80hz XO your mains are still producing quite a bit well under that. I figured you knew that, but figured I throw it out there.

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #3329 of 17097 Old 12-15-2008, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Situations can vary, of course, but the consensus among "experts" is to use the AVR's 80Hz crossover. It's the THX standard as well.

As a rule, you should use the AVR's crossover and disable your sub's if you can. If the sub's can't be turned off, set it for the highest point you can. Allowing two crossovers to interact is rarely a good thing. Again, this is the "expert" consensus.

Not your question, but a related point that keeps coming up: The recommended approach with a subwoofer is to set all speakers to "Small", no matter how large they are. Setting them to "Large" and using the "Plus" setting may seem like a good idea, but it rarely gives accurate results. It's almost impossible to calibrate correctly, because different source material has differing amounts of low bass in the front R/L channels vs LFE, so getting it right for one source is likely to make it wrong for the next. ("Plus" sends the R/L bass to both the main speakers and the sub, duplicating that part of the bass signal. LFE still goes only to the sub.)

Further, in most rooms there can be all sorts of problems with multiple bass sources. They generally can be cured, but it usually takes quite a bit of effort and skill.

That said, a lot of people like the "Plus" setting (that's why manufacturers include it), and I don't expect to change anyone's mind. There is often a difference between what is "correct" and what sounds best to an individual.
post #3330 of 17097 Old 12-15-2008, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

Graphicguy,

Don't forget that even with an 80hz XO your mains are still producing quite a bit well under that. I figured you knew that, but figured I throw it out there.

Yep....you're right. But, good info for others who lurk here.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page