Official Pioneer SC-05 and SC-07 Owners Thread - Page 145 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4321 of 17116 Old 01-11-2009, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Are there any discreet codes for Midnight-ON and Dialogue Enhancement-ON?

I find that I am often switching these on and off, but my receiver is in a cabinet (I use RF) and I don't currently have the OSD so I need to open the cabinet and look at the display.

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4322 of 17116 Old 01-11-2009, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
[quote=fresno1232001;15526998]Graphicguy- You say the SCs are not as warm sounding as Marantz, but they are more powerful and articulate sounding. If I don't need a lot of power, maybe that knocks out HALF the "advantage" the SCs have over Marantz.

I have Allison One speakers in the front and B&W 9NTs for the rears. Both are 8 Ohm speakers, but I have read here that the B&Ws are somewhat power-hungry 8 ohm speakers.

I do not play my system very loudly since I protect my hearing and do not want to provoke retaliation from neighboring houses. SO, unless my B&Ws really are power-hungry, I don't need a lot of power. That would just leave the "more articulate sounding" as the advantage an SC-07 would have for me over a Marantz 8002, with "less warm" being what I would give up witht the SC-07.

So the question then would be, would you give up the warm sound of the Marantz SR 8002 to get the more articulate sound of the SC? Would "more articulate" be worth that? Thanks for an opinion on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

Sunny...I wouldn't consider the SC to sound bright. As you put more hours on them, they settle in quite nicely. Are they as warm sounding as Marantz? No! But, they are more powerful and articulate sounding. I found that Marantz is indeed warmer, but sometimes at the expense of losing detail in the sound.

Personally, I think if you really like the sound of the Marantz, stick with it (the SR 8002 is very nice).

IQUOTE]

fresno....your assessment is fair. We're talking about subjective opinions (mine, more subjective than any). If you don't need, now want the power, then there are other options that will work as well. If power is something you value, the SC edges out the SR 8002. MCACC edges out Audyssey, too.

Just don't go with options that sacrifice sound quality for no other reason than it's a little cheaper.

The Marantz SR 8002 is a quality sounding piece of gear, as is the SC series. As I said, I could be (and is/was) happy with both. I can't answer whether anyone values the sound of one over the other.

If I could have two systems, with a Marantz in one, and the SC in the other, I'd truly be happy (if I could find a reliable subwoofer).

That doesn't help you much. Except I HAD a Marantz SR 8002. I HAVE an SC 05 in my system.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #4323 of 17116 Old 01-11-2009, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresno1232001 View Post

Graphicguy- You say the SCs are not as warm sounding as Marantz, but they are more powerful and articulate sounding. If I don't need a lot of power, maybe that knocks out HALF the "advantage" the SCs have over Marantz.

I have Allison One speakers in the front and B&W 9NTs for the rears. Both are 8 Ohm speakers, but I have read here that the B&Ws are somewhat power-hungry 8 ohm speakers.

I do not play my system very loudly since I protect my hearing and do not want to provoke retaliation from neighboring houses. SO, unless my B&Ws really are power-hungry, I don't need a lot of power. That would just leave the "more articulate sounding" as the advantage an SC-07 would have for me over a Marantz 8002, with "less warm" being what I would give up witht the SC-07.

So the question then would be, would you give up the warm sound of the Marantz SR 8002 to get the more articulate sound of the SC? Would "more articulate" be worth that? Thanks for an opinion on this.

Fresno, you're deep in the throes of 'analysis paralysis'. What you need to do is find a dealer that sells both Marantz and Pioneer and will let you try them in your home with the understanding that you will buy one or the other -- write 'em a check before you take the first one home. Let your ears judge which you like best.

Dennis H
post #4324 of 17116 Old 01-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by catapult View Post

Fresno, you're deep in the throes of 'analysis paralysis'. What you need to do is find a dealer that sells both Marantz and Pioneer and will let you try them in your home with the understanding that you will buy one or the other -- write 'em a check before you take the first one home. Let your ears judge which you like best.

Excellent advice, you will know for sure

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #4325 of 17116 Old 01-11-2009, 07:33 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks-man View Post

I find that I am often switching these on and off, but my receiver is in a cabinet (I use RF) and I don't currently have the OSD so I need to open the cabinet and look at the display.

Thanks for the help.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...eivers.Default

Use the SC-09TX pronto file... or if you are using URC, live update your program as they have recently added the SC-05 and SC-07 to the database... I like the CCF more though as with the Universal Browser all the commands are available on one screen, not in a scroll list like the IR Database.

I just checked with my URC editor's Universal Browser and there are loudness, midnight/loudness and dialogue discretes.

I cannot guarantee they work, as I didn't use those in my programing, but that is the CCF I used for all the input functions/volume/navigation/Home Media etc. and all worked perfectly, so I would be surprised to hear those don't.

RPT
post #4326 of 17116 Old 01-11-2009, 09:36 PM

I have the dial norm displayed upon switching inputs to either BD movies or regular cable tv.
I do know what it's for but is this a normal occurance on the sc07?
post #4327 of 17116 Old 01-11-2009, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagimax View Post

I have the dial norm displayed upon switching inputs to either BD movies or regular cable tv.
I do know what it's for but is this a normal occurance on the sc07?

Yes.
post #4328 of 17116 Old 01-12-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks-man View Post

Thanks for the help.

To answer your question, no. There are discrete codes for these, but the code only calls up the parameters, you still have send the right or left directional codes to turn them on or off.

Jim
post #4329 of 17116 Old 01-12-2009, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Just as an update to my HSU subwoofer conundrum, I did receive a response from Pete Hsu.

I was mistaken thinking that it was still in warranty. Apparently, there are different warranty lengths based on the different iterations of the VTF3. Mine had a 5 year warranty. So, it is indeed out of warranty (but just barely).

So, HSU was right. I was wrong!

Instead of investing $200 + in the HSU I have, and investing my labor to fix it, I'll look at something that proves (fingers crossed) a bit more durable.

As mentioned, the SVS PC12-NSD and the Elemental Design A5 are on my short list.

The SVS is $549 + shipping (~$600 total). The Elemental Design is $650, shipping included. It's tempting for no other reason than they're now offering it with a better finish and an upgraded amp (550w vs the old 350w) at no charge.

post #4330 of 17116 Old 01-12-2009, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Just as an update to my HSU subwoofer conundrum, I did receive a response from Pete Hsu.

I was mistaken thinking that it was still in warranty. Apparently, there are different warranty lengths based on the different iterations of the VTF3. Mine had a 5 year warranty. So, it is indeed out of warranty (but just barely).

Instead of investing $200 + in the HSU I have, and investing my labor to fix it, I'll look at something that proves (fingers crossed) a bit more durable.

As mentioned, the SVS PC12-NSD and the Elemental Design A5 are on my short list.

The SVS is $549 + shipping (~$600 total). The Elemental Design is $650, shipping included. It's tempting for no other reason than they're now offering it with a better finish and an upgraded amp (550w vs the old 350w) at no charge.

...I thought this thread was about Pio Amps....

- Jon
"010 Meh"
post #4331 of 17116 Old 01-12-2009, 06:23 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

You have a PM over at HSU

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #4332 of 17116 Old 01-12-2009, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

You have a PM over at HSU

Gov....I replied with my response.

If there's one thing about this thread that I enjoy the most, it's the fact that the SC owners help each other, regardless of the issue.

Some asked me to respond with the outcome. I did. I didn't like the outcome. But, there you have it.

post #4333 of 17116 Old 01-12-2009, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catapult View Post

Fresno....I'm with catapult and Gov on this. Both are excellent choices. Obviously, those of us here like the SC.

But, both will work well. You just have to draw a line in the sand and pick one.

Whichever you decide on, there isn't a wrong choice.

post #4334 of 17116 Old 01-12-2009, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRP View Post

Maybe graphicguy can ask CHP_VR to include the article on the information page. It is very interesting and worthy of a good read.

Just got done with Dark Knight in TrueHD. Very nice.

Linked on page one:

General Information

"Bruno Putzeys: The Sound Of Music (leading designer of class-D amplifiers). "

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
post #4335 of 17116 Old 01-12-2009, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorZ View Post

I just finished ripping the majority of my CD collection to FLAC and loading the files onto a 500G Western Digital My Book Essential hard drive. SQ through front panel USB connection is excellent. The drive is very quite and the glossy black case with blue LED indicator looks nice setting next to my SC-05. The more I use the SC-05, the more I like it.

Thanks DoctorZ
Picked up a 500GB at fry's yesterday... it works works and looks great connected to my SC-07.
Just plugged it in, and it shows up on the HGM screen.
Thanks again for the information.

post #4336 of 17116 Old 01-12-2009, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

....................................................Both use Wolfson DACs (not sure of the model numbers, though). There is a difference in the way Pioneer implements them. Does that make one sound better than the other? I can't say.

............................................................ .............

Looks like Pioneer finally put the specs on their website...
These are the DACs used (Looks like what our members "presumed" and researched were correct):
Under specifications (audio processing):

SC-09 -192 kHz / 24-bit DAC Wolfson WM8741 DAC
SC-07 -192 kHz / 24-bit DAC Wolfson WM8740 DAC
SC-05 -192 kHz / 24-bit DAC Wolfson WM8740 DAC
VSX-03TXH -192 kHz / 24-bit DAC Wolfson WM8728 DAC
VSX-01TXH -192 kHz / 24-bit DAC Wolfson WM8728 DAC

They also added a "Custom Install" Tab for the SC-09/07/05 amplifiers.
It puts the IR and RS232 codes together.
Under "detailed product information":
the MCACC Software, MCACC manual and CAD Drawings are nicely organized..

Will change the links on the first page to match accordingly.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...-07.Kuro?tab=E

ss9001:
Quote:
The Burr Brown chip that does the sample rate conversion (44.1Hz/48Hz etc. to 192 KHz) is the Burr Brown SRC4190. It re-clocks the signal as part of the conversion so jitter is reduced.

SRC Chips in SC-07:
SRC4190DB sample rate convertor
Description:
SRC4190 ACTIVE 3 - 3.6 -125 212 H/W 128 I2S, R, L, TDM 2 28SSOP 4.50 | 1ku 192kHz Stereo Asynchronous Sample Rate Converters

SC-09:
SRC4192DB sample rate convertor
Description:

SRC4192 ACTIVE 3 - 3.6 -140 212 H/W 144 I2S, R, L, TDM 2 28SSOP 7.50 | 1ku High-End Sample Rate Converter

post #4337 of 17116 Old 01-12-2009, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

These are the DACs used (Looks like what our members "presumed" and researched were correct):

Great find Charles.

Juan

My HT
post #4338 of 17116 Old 01-12-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:

Charles, As always, you make this the best thread on AVS! Thanks, Blue
post #4339 of 17116 Old 01-12-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:

I think we've come to the conclusion that Pioneer does this to cover their a$$. There are posters here who are running a full set of Magnepans (very hard to drive) to good effect. Audioholics also ran the SC 07 in a 4 Ohm setup and said it came very close to sounding like the reference separates costing 7X the price of the SC 07.

So, I don't think you've got much to worry about regarding Pioneer's statements. They've been "warning" about 4 Ohm setups for years. The THX designation requires amps and AVRs to run down to 3.2 Ohms, also.

Thanks for the response, graphicguy. I know we've discussed before. I guess I was just looking for reassurance before I plunk down $3-5k on a new 5.1. I can hear my wife now, "You need to buy a new receiver, why?!" Blue
post #4340 of 17116 Old 01-12-2009, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy
I think we've come to the conclusion that Pioneer does this to cover their a$$. There are posters here who are running a full set of Magnepans (very hard to drive) to good effect. Audioholics also ran the SC 07 in a 4 Ohm setup and said it came very close to sounding like the reference separates costing 7X the price of the SC 07.

So, I don't think you've got much to worry about regarding Pioneer's statements. They've been "warning" about 4 Ohm setups for years. The THX designation requires amps and AVRs to run down to 3.2 Ohms, also.

Not always: ( From: http://www.ultimateavmag.com/avrecei...er/index4.html)

Driving all seven channels into 8Ω, the VSX-59TXi delivered 133Wpc at 20Hz and 140Wpc at 1kHz (to the nearest watt) before clipping (1% THD+noise). Into 4Ω, all seven channels operating, it delivered 181Wpc at 20Hz and 183Wpc at 1kHz. The 4Ω test blew the internal mains fuse; Digital Safety was turned off for all tests.

With only two channels operating, at 1kHz, the Pioneer clipped at 151Wpc into 8Ω and 276Wpc into 4Ω.—TJN
post #4341 of 17116 Old 01-12-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:

These are the IR and Hex codes for the SC-09 page+ and page-... it's unknown if they work with the SC-07/05:

CHP_VR thanks for the post.

If you have a harmony, you should be able to send them to harmony tech support and have them transfer it to your harmony.

The full codes are here (also linked on first page):
http://www.pioneerusa.com/PUSA/Searc...hex+codes+sc-0

To do a quick test I reprogrammed my harmony one using the sc-09 and assigning the hmg buttons accordingly. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the sc-05 to respond to the hmg page up and down. I might try send the code to harmony just to verify.

Rowlf
post #4342 of 17116 Old 01-12-2009, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy

Driving all seven channels into 8Ω, the VSX-59TXi delivered 133Wpc at 20Hz and 140Wpc at 1kHz (to the nearest watt) before clipping (1% THD+noise). Into 4Ω, all seven channels operating, it delivered 181Wpc at 20Hz and 183Wpc at 1kHz. The 4Ω test blew the internal mains fuse; Digital Safety was turned off for all tests.

With only two channels operating, at 1kHz, the Pioneer clipped at 151Wpc into 8Ω and 276Wpc into 4Ω.TJN

Yes, but that was a VSX-59TXi class A/B amp (Direct Energy Mosfets) almost 4 years ago...
Review, same magazine SC-05 Class D IceAmps:
http://www.ultimateavmag.com/avrecei...er/index7.html

This graph shows that the SC-05's left channel, from Multi input to speaker output with two channels driving 8-ohm loads continuously at 1 kHz, reaches 0.1% distortion at 168.1 watts and 1% distortion at 197.2 watts. Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches 0.1% distortion at 249.6 watts and 1% distortion at 338.4 watts.

With five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads (blue curve), the amp reaches 0.1% distortion at 119.7 watts and 1% distortion at 153.9 watts. With seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads (green curve), the amp reaches 0.1% distortion at 137.8 watts and 1% distortion at 149.0 watts.
VSX-059:
Quote:

With only two channels operating, at 1kHz, the Pioneer clipped at 151Wpc into 8Ω and 276Wpc into 4Ω

SC-05:
Quote:

two channels driving 8-ohm loads continuously at 1 kHz, reaches 0.1% distortion at 168.1 watts and 1% distortion at 197.2 watts. Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches 0.1% distortion at 249.6 watts and 1% distortion at 338.4 watts.

I agree with graphicguy, Blue.. you should be fine.. plus many others here run 4-6ohm speakers without problems.

post #4343 of 17116 Old 01-12-2009, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowlf View Post

To do a quick test I reprogrammed my harmony one using the sc-09 and assigning the hmg buttons accordingly. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the sc-05 to respond to the hmg page up and down. I might try send the code to harmony just to verify.

Rowlf

drats, was hoping for success on this one, rowlf..
Please keep us informed on what happens.

post #4344 of 17116 Old 01-12-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowlf View Post

Rowlf

I tried the codes with a Universal Remote and it also does not respond to the command, even using the specific SC-07 data, not the 09 which has worked for everything else...

I think the commands are bogus though, as the IR/Hex file that is on the Pioneer site for the SC-07 does not list Page Up and Page Down in the Home Media Gallery Section...

Shame too, would make HMG much easier to use...

RPT
post #4345 of 17116 Old 01-12-2009, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post

With only two channels operating, at 1kHz, the Pioneer clipped at 151Wpc into 8Ω and 276Wpc into 4Ω.—TJN

20 Hz and 1 kHz is going to be much more meaningful than any test at 20kHz. So, those measurements were very impressive. Plus, the tested output far exceeded what Pioneer stated they should do. Understand, that's the way most run those tests. They either run the tests until clipping occurs. Or, the protection fuse blows (which usually happens about the same time). Plus, I suspect they were trying to blow the fuse if they turned off "digital safety" (not sure exactly what that is, but I'd imagine it was meant to keep something from self-destructing).

7-channels driven into 4 Ohm impedance, putting out 180+w/channel is pretty darn good.

The point being, Pioneer always seems to state some "legalese gobbledygook" about 4 Ohm loads. In reality, there are plenty (including professional testers) that have no issues running 4 Ohm loads.

I had one of those 59 TXis. Another, in a long line of great Elite AVRs.

post #4346 of 17116 Old 01-12-2009, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Do you guys with 7.1 setups like to run your SC receivers in 7.1 mode or 5.1 mode when playing 5.1 Blu-ray movies? I tried forcing 7.1 through my back channels but I still didn't get any sound back there while playing DTS-HD 5.1 through my PS3.
post #4347 of 17116 Old 01-12-2009, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega View Post

Do you guys with 7.1 setups like to run your SC receivers in 7.1 mode or 5.1 mode when playing 5.1 Blu-ray movies? I tried forcing 7.1 through my back channels but I still didn't get any sound back there while playing DTS-HD 5.1 through my PS3.

I run 7.1 mode with regular DVD's, with BD I leave the receiver in Direct mode, I have been able to do 7.1 with 5.1 BD's though.

Juan

My HT
post #4348 of 17116 Old 01-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega View Post

To force 7.1 on 5.1 material: Set SB=ON, then Run in Auto Surround Mode with DDPLIIx overlayed on top of the TrueHD. I believe it says "DDHD+PLIIx MV". I haven't had an issue with DTS-HD, always seems to play out of rears for me in Suround Auto mode with SB=ON.
post #4349 of 17116 Old 01-12-2009, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueste View Post

Thanks for the response, graphicguy. I know we've discussed before. I guess I was just looking for reassurance before I plunk down $3-5k on a new 5.1. I can hear my wife now, "You need to buy a new receiver, why?!" Blue

LOL! Blue, I know that "tone of voice" all too well. No longer have a wife (which is why I have the HT to begin with), but I remember those "discussions".

You'll be fine. Totally understand that you don't want to make a $2K mistake. You won't. We won't let you.

post #4350 of 17116 Old 01-12-2009, 04:24 PM

I shan't sacrifice sound quality to save a little money. If anything, I'll go to the other extreme. There is a professional review of the Marantz SR 8002 where he says "the lower-mids and upper-bass were less voluptuous than on my Rotel RSX-1065 reference AVR receiver, as usual". So I'd pay $2,600 for the new Rotel RSX-1560 AVR if it had a phono input and a headphone jack. (What were they thinking in leaving them off?)

My thanks to graphicguy, catapult and Gov for responding. Trying to find a dealer of both Marantz and Pioneer Elite is a good idea. It seems that the Marantz SR-8002 and the Pioneer SCs are quite comparable.

The Marantz apparently lacks a phono input, but it would be easy to plug a phono preamp into the Marantz, no?

[quote=graphicguy;15528140 Just don't go with options that sacrifice sound quality for no other reason than it's a little cheaper.

The Marantz SR 8002 is a quality sounding piece of gear, as is the SC series. As I said, I could be (and is/was) happy with both. I can't answer whether anyone values the sound of one over the other.

If I could have two systems, with a Marantz in one, and the SC in the other, I'd truly be happy (if I could find a reliable subwoofer).

That doesn't help you much. Except I HAD a Marantz SR 8002. I HAVE an SC 05 in my system.[/QUOTE]
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page