Official Pioneer SC-05 and SC-07 Owners Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 17097 Old 09-10-2008, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone comment on the upscaling of the SC-07? Specifically with the Nintendo Wii. I am considering paring this Receiver with a Panasonic TH-58PZ850u when they come out.

Has anyone used this with a newer Panasonic Plasma and can you comment on it? HDMI behaving nice? SD TV upscaled well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 17097 Old 09-10-2008, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavs View Post

Just a comment first. I finally did a pdf search of the manual to learn that the center horizontal blue light above the front panel is an overheat indicator - p. 112. That had become a distraction.

jjava, you have 4 dimmer settings including off, the dimmer button is on the remote under the slide out portion above the number 3. Checked it last night, it works.

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
post #453 of 17097 Old 09-10-2008, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

http://gizmodo.com/photogallery/pion...c07/1001382973

Would it really be ok to stack this player on top of this receiver as shown in this picture in the above link?

ack don't know if I would put my Blu-ray player that close on top to any amplifier.. Pioneer suggests a 60cm clearance on top of the SC-7/05 (don't believe the VSX-1018 shown would be an exception) . I think they put them together like that strictly for the photo shot.

post #454 of 17097 Old 09-10-2008, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymike40 View Post

Hello everyone

I live near Toronto and was finally (long story) able to order the SC-07. Canada is about 6-8 weeks behind the US (according to my local HiFi store) so I should be receiving mine the second week of October. In the meantime I have downloaded the manual and have been keeping up with the posts here. The SC07 will be replacing a late 90s preamp in my system.

I will post pics and news once I get things set up. Congratulations to all the Sc07 owners out there and thanks for sharing your comments.

Regards,

Mike

Mike, congratulations on your order! Welcome to the "ICE Club"

post #455 of 17097 Old 09-10-2008, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

....... With Auto Surround, I get Stereo or Dolby on cable depending on the channel. But with any dvd/bd - all typically 5.1, played on PS3 or macmini, I only get stereo. I have to manually select the surround format. The PS3 is connected with BD/hdmi while cable is Video1/component,optical. I've tried both PCM and bitstream settings on the PS3. Am I missing something?

I found this footnote regarding using autosurround, jjavs, it may apply to your problem, hope it helps:

page 12 from manual

post #456 of 17097 Old 09-10-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

jjava, you have 4 dimmer settings including off, the dimmer button is on the remote under the slide out portion above the number 3. Checked it last night, it works.

Charles,
Thanks but I had already happily discovered the dimmer switch. What I meant by distraction was not knowing what that specific blue light was for. The manual doesn't mention it in the section describing the front.
Thanks for being so attentive.
post #457 of 17097 Old 09-10-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:

I found this footnote regarding using autosurround, jjavs, it may apply to your problem, hope it helps:

page 12 from manual

Charles,
Thanks again. I saw that footnote but wasn't sure what to do with it other than to try changing my PS3 settings from bitstream to PCM which didn't affect the auto surr behavior. Do I take it from your reply that Auto Surround works as expected for all your dvd/bds?
post #458 of 17097 Old 09-10-2008, 10:25 AM

I finally got my Sc-07 and hooked it up last night to my Panny 50PX600U in which I had been using a Comcast Cable Card (instead of the Box) which was hooked up to my 10 year old Denon AVR. Much to my dismay, I learned (from Robert @ Value Electronics) that when using a cable card and HDMI, you need to run an Audio cable too. Using a cable box instead would solve this problem. Needless to say, I had no audio when I tried to watch HDTV late last nite.

Is this correct? I checked my connections and everything seemed to be in order, so it must be that I need an audio cable. (I'm now at work and unable to check it out).

Good news is that I called Comcast, upgraded my Package to include a DVR and a HDTV Box (coming Sunday) for LESS money that I am paying now! Just mentioning the word "Fios" and switching over gets them nervous!
post #459 of 17097 Old 09-10-2008, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Charles,
Thanks but I had already happily discovered the dimmer switch. What I meant by distraction was not knowing what that specific blue light was for. The manual doesn't mention it in the section describing the front.
Thanks for being so attentive.

Sorry, jjavs, misunderstood. And thanks for finding the purpose of the blue light. I always thought it was to look cool, which it does

post #460 of 17097 Old 09-10-2008, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Charles,
Thanks again. I saw that footnote but wasn't sure what to do with it other than to try changing my PS3 settings from bitstream to PCM which didn't affect the auto surr behavior. Do I take it from your reply that Auto Surround works as expected for all your dvd/bds?

Don't think I use Auto Surround, I think I have it on Standard Surround for the Satbox and PCM for the Blu-ray.. I do get DD from the Satbox, and True-HD from the Blu-ray without having to play with the settings.. I will not be able to verify my settings until tonight..

post #461 of 17097 Old 09-10-2008, 01:24 PM

I HAVE HAD THE 151FD SINCE fRIDAY NOW AND I LOVE IT. I RUNNING IT THROUGH AND AVS 2000 VOLTAGE STABALIZER AND A MONSTER POWER 7000 LINE CONDITIONER. I'M USING AUDIOQUEST 3 SERIES HDMI CABLES RUNNNING FROM MY HR-22 DIRECT T.V HD DVR BOX. I JUST PURCHASED THE RECEIVER AND I'M SECOND GUESSING MYSELF A LITTLE ON IT. I WENT WITH PIONEER OVER DENNON AND YAMAHA JUST BECAUCE I HAVE THE 151FD PANEL. I RUN A HOME THEATRE STORE IN SCOTTSDALE AZ. AND DENON AND YAMAHA AND PIONEER ELITE ARE ALL THAT WE CARRY FOR RECEIVERS. ANY INPUT ON HOW THESE WOULD PAIR UP WOULD BE GREAT. THANK YOU!!!
post #462 of 17097 Old 09-10-2008, 01:28 PM

I'm running the system in the post right above this one. Pioneer elite 151fd, pioneer sc-05, monster power avs 2000, monster power htsp 7000 power center, audioquest 3 series hdmi cables. I carry def tech, klipsch, and also mirage. So thats my speakers brand options. Please give me some good ideas!
post #463 of 17097 Old 09-10-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dserb5 View Post

I'm running the system in the post right above this one. Pioneer elite 151fd, pioneer sc-05, monster power avs 2000, monster power htsp 7000 power center, audioquest 3 series hdmi cables. I carry def tech, klipsch, and also mirage. So thats my speakers brand options. Please give me some good ideas!

I just set up my sc07 with a pair of Deftech 7004's with pro 2000 center and a pair of BPx1 for the surrounds. I have an old Eosone 910 sub that I am also using. The Deftechs sound fantastic with the 07. I have watched several movies and listed to CD's and the sound is great. I have an Adcom 5 disk that has a coax digital out and I am thinking of trying that to the digial in on the 07 to see how that sounds.

I am sure any of the speakers you carrie will sound great.
post #464 of 17097 Old 09-10-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

The differences, beside the 2 HDMI outputs, are really very minor IMO.

If I'm reading the specs correctly, another difference is the abililty of SC-07 to use the 2nd component output to connect an HDTV in Zone 2. I realize this may not be important to a lot of folks, but I want to be able to watch a ballgame in HD on my deck sources from HD cable box while someone else is watching a movie in my media room. Am I understanding Zone 2 capabilites of the SC-07 correctly? Thanks.
post #465 of 17097 Old 09-10-2008, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Charles,

jjavs, I have my SC-07 set to DIRECT STREAM. When I switch on my Blu-Ray it says PCM Direct. SatTV plays Stereo as it should and when it receives DD it plays to all 5.1 channels. Hope that helps.

post #466 of 17097 Old 09-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

jjavs, I have my SC-07 set to DIRECT STREAM. When I switch on my Blu-Ray it says PCM Direct. SatTV plays Stereo as it should and when it receives DD it plays to all 5.1 channels. Hope that helps.

Am I missing some of the conversation? Shouldn't you see TrueHD or DTS-MA on the SC-07?
post #467 of 17097 Old 09-10-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dserb5 View Post

I HAVE HAD THE 151FD SINCE fRIDAY NOW AND I LOVE IT. I RUNNING IT THROUGH AND AVS 2000 VOLTAGE STABALIZER AND A MONSTER POWER 7000 LINE CONDITIONER. I'M USING AUDIOQUEST 3 SERIES HDMI CABLES RUNNNING FROM MY HR-22 DIRECT T.V HD DVR BOX. I JUST PURCHASED THE RECEIVER AND I'M SECOND GUESSING MYSELF A LITTLE ON IT. I WENT WITH PIONEER OVER DENNON AND YAMAHA JUST BECAUCE I HAVE THE 151FD PANEL. I RUN A HOME THEATRE STORE IN SCOTTSDALE AZ. AND DENON AND YAMAHA AND PIONEER ELITE ARE ALL THAT WE CARRY FOR RECEIVERS. ANY INPUT ON HOW THESE WOULD PAIR UP WOULD BE GREAT. THANK YOU!!!

See my posts earlier in this thread comparing the Denon 4308 vs. the SC-07.
post #468 of 17097 Old 09-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgilm View Post

Set up was relatively easy but there is no real GUI or OSD (at least I didn't figure it out yet since I haven't read the directions).

What do you think of the GUI now a week later, compared to the 4308CI?
post #469 of 17097 Old 09-10-2008, 08:31 PM

I set this up on my SC-07 today and it works good. Sometimes locked up, but it works. Maybe they will fix the lock ups in the next firmware update. Also, you cannot control the HMG with the remotes up and down bottom. That's strange. You need to use the directional pad on the front display of the unit. I love this receiver so far!

Quote:

Yes, you can play music or display photos from another computer through the SC-07 on your network, ajkjr. You just need to set up your computer as a media server to share the folders you want to listen too. You might want to look at Chapter 10 (page 73) of the manual, it may answer your questions more fully. Here is a picture of my HGM screen from the SC-07, it shows Internet and Nueral radio and two server connections on my network.. BTW, I use wireless also, so not a problem.
Hope you get yours soon, that's a sweet combination (SC-07 and BDP-05FD)

post #470 of 17097 Old 09-10-2008, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post

Am I missing some of the conversation? Shouldn't you see TrueHD or DTS-MA on the SC-07?

Yes NismoZ, I was only talking about the input selection. jjavs was questioning my setup. It will display all sources. Sorry for the confusion

If you note, input is stream-direct (red letters) display (on this Blu-Ray disc) is DD True-HD.. again, sorry for the confusion..

Original post series:
Quote:

Just a comment first. I finally did a pdf search of the manual to learn that the center horizontal blue light above the front panel is an overheat indicator - p. 112. That had become a distraction.
Now a question. With Auto Surround, I get Stereo or Dolby on cable depending on the channel. But with any dvd/bd - all typically 5.1, played on PS3 or macmini, I only get stereo. I have to manually select the surround format. The PS3 is connected with BD/hdmi while cable is Video1/component,optical. I've tried both PCM and bitstream settings on the PS3. Am I missing something?

post #471 of 17097 Old 09-10-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiPNET View Post

I set this up on my SC-07 today and it works good. Sometimes locked up, but it works. Maybe they will fix the lock ups in the next firmware update. Also, you cannot control the HMG with the remotes up and down bottom. That's strange. You need to use the directional pad on the front display of the unit. I love this receiver so far!

After you enter HMG you need to switch the remote from RCV to Source and then the remote navigation will work. I went through the same Whuh?
post #472 of 17097 Old 09-10-2008, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiPNET View Post

To use the remote with HGM, you have to set the switch of the remote to source, CiPNET. It frazzled me for awhile too until I realized that little tidbit.

post #473 of 17097 Old 09-11-2008, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ok2me View Post

What do you think of the GUI now a week later, compared to the 4308CI?

The GUI is fine and I don't have a problem with it since it is easy to use. However, the Denon is still way better. I also just got my Pio 150fd plasma last night and even though it enables the SC-07 to have OSD for volume, even that is not as good as the Denon which seems like something that should be really easy. How hard is it to put db's on the OSD for volume? I'll have to check the other OSD features tonight since I didn't have a lot of time to play with them last night.

As noted earlier though, all of the SC-07's shortcomings disappear when you start listening to the sound it produces. It blows the Denon away. It is just the preference of the user, bells and whistles or great sound. Unfortunately neither of these two receivers have both. If it did it would probably be called the Denon 5308 but that is more than double the price of these receivers.
post #474 of 17097 Old 09-11-2008, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:

It says: "OVERHEAT or AMP OVERHEAT flashes, the power turns off, and the blue indicator at the center of the receiver flashes."

It does not say that the blue horizontal light only function is an overheat indicator. If it's flashing while the receiver is off, then yes it's an overheat indicator. Otherwise, no it's not.
post #475 of 17097 Old 09-11-2008, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Speaking of the OSD, FilmMixer posted an interesting explaination I never thought about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

No, not on non-Pioneer displays.

No... the processors aren't designed with an overlay video generator like other manufacturers.... my understanding is that Pioneer has designed the video section so that it keeps the video clean, partially due to the lack of solutions that work properly with color space continuity, etc.. so that's also the reason they don't upconvert HDMI sources.

So, they have devised a way, through SR+ and HDMI CEC, to use the displays video generator to display such information via control metadata that they developed.

If the receiver was actually able to create these graphics but chose only to allow them to be displayed on their products, that would be a different story.. as it stands, that isn't the way it works...

I haven't found the OSD on the Pioneeer SC-05/07 to be bleeding edge in terms of good looks, but IMO they look better than the 01/03 elites and non-elites this year, and if it really is a trade off between video quality and a good looking OSD, I think they did the right thing. I think they're going in the right direction. Oh well, I sure can't fault these units for their audio quality and looks.

post #476 of 17097 Old 09-11-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

It says: "OVERHEAT or AMP OVERHEAT flashes, the power turns off, and the blue indicator at the center of the receiver flashes."

It does not say that the blue horizontal light only function is an overheat indicator. If it's flashing while the receiver is off, then yes it's an overheat indicator. Otherwise, no it's not.

Yes, that is more accurate but the overheat flashing was the only mention I could find in the manual. So what other purpose is there besides decorative coolness.
post #477 of 17097 Old 09-11-2008, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

NismoZ , Vonbek777: Any word yet on when your SC-07s arrive?

post #478 of 17097 Old 09-11-2008, 11:17 AM

Josh just informed us after we pestered him that due to Ike in the gulf, it will be next week before we know about our orders.
post #479 of 17097 Old 09-11-2008, 11:20 AM

CHP_VR, have you compared your sc-07 against non elite versions like the 1018?
I know these are two different products but how much different night and day or marginally -Thanks
post #480 of 17097 Old 09-11-2008, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olilugo View Post

CHP_VR, have you compared your sc-07 against non elite versions like the 1018?
I know these are two different products but how much different night and day or marginally -Thanks

oliligo, no, sorry, I did listen to the 1018 and VSX-03 at the Pioneer Store, but not what I would consider anything in depth.. I was actually deciding between the VSX-94 and the Denon, but once I heard the SC-09 and the ICE Amps, nothing else mattered... Later, after deciding there was no way I could justify the SC-09 and still keep peace in the family, I went for the SC-07 because the SC-05 wasn't available. No regrets! The SC-05/07 are completely different beasts. I think the others are fine, but I think in any side by side.. IMO, the ICE amps will win, period.
Better Amps, better Menus, better sound, better build, PQSL. Hopefully, others here can give you a more beneficial comparisons then I can. For now, I'm very very happy with mine. It integrates nicely with my display. blu-ray and other equipment.
You may want to check the Pioneer website and download the brochures for a technical comparision.
VSX-1018 and SC-07

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page