post #5041 of 17105 Old 02-13-2009, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

As much as I hate to admit it... (gonna get flak from Juan and graphicguy on this because of all the grief I gave them about fingerprints)...
I still have the stickers in front on mine

....Get those stickers off there......let that Urushi shine!

05-1.3H BJC-3808-1.3H BJC-5080
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5042 of 17105 Old 02-13-2009, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

As much as I hate to admit it... (gonna get flak from Juan and graphicguy on this because of all the grief I gave them about fingerprints)...

Charles....the truth comes out....finally! Yes, get those stickers off. And, make sure to get rid of the fingerprints afterwards........

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #5043 of 17105 Old 02-13-2009, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Yeah, get those stickers off.

Juan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5044 of 17105 Old 02-13-2009, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2JSTS View Post

....Get those stickers off there......let that Urushi shine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

Charles....the truth comes out....finally! Yes, get those stickers off. And, make sure to get rid of the fingerprints afterwards........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post

Yeah, get those stickers off.

yeah, yeah... It's just I keep finding "just one more thing" I want to add, then I'll do it.

I did, however remove the blue tape from the front... But only because I needed to do the MCACC thingy.

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5045 of 17105 Old 02-13-2009, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Shooff, I think this is what you will need to do:

Go in to your input menu (see page 92) to tell your SC-05 how you have it connected.
First, you need to assign a function on the remote for your HTPC
Example: If you want to assign "DVD" for your HTPC; from the "input setup menu", select "Input ": DVD , "Digital IN": Digital (Coax 1-3) and "HDMI INPUT": HDMI (1-3)

page 92:

Page 93: (Default values)

From the above example, anytime you want to connect your HTPC, you would hit DVD on the remote
When you try this, if you still don't hear sound, you may have to go to the "input signal" menu (page 38) by pressing SIG SEL on the remote and scroll between AUTO, HDMI, DIGITAL and ANALOG - because it will sense HDMI and assume audio is also HDMI (You should only have to do this once).. DIGITAL will be the one you want (see below)

page 38:

Hope that works, let us know

On my SC-LX71 (SC-05) when I go into the Inputsetup the HDMI input is greyed out. I have my HD-DVD player connected to HDMI 1 and the only way to access it is by selecting HDMI 1, I was hoping to have re-assigned it to DVD for example. I wonder is this feature locked on the SC-05, but available on the SC-07?
post #5046 of 17105 Old 02-13-2009, 04:42 PM

I am now the proud owner of a SC-05 and hoefully it will be delivered sometime next week. So I have a few days to catch up on all of the posts. Can you do video over the internet connection with this receiver?
post #5047 of 17105 Old 02-13-2009, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewa View Post

On my SC-LX71 (SC-05) when I go into the Inputsetup the HDMI input is greyed out. I have my HD-DVD player connected to HDMI 1 and the only way to access it is by selecting HDMI 1, I was hoping to have re-assigned it to DVD for example. I wonder is this feature locked on the SC-05, but available on the SC-07?

I think you may have HDMI control on. Turning it off enables more input assignment options.
post #5048 of 17105 Old 02-13-2009, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

CHP:

You need a 4 step program:
1) Immediately stop posting here and take 3 minutes of time out;
2) Spend 2 minutes to Remove ugly white stickers on SC series receiver;
3) Spend remaining 1 minute flogging self with large wood object;
4) Resume posting and discuss error of ways (no attachments of reddened areas required).

Isn't it time someone promoted quality as value?
post #5049 of 17105 Old 02-14-2009, 04:15 AM

Does the pioneer SC-07 accept 192khz 5.1/7.1 PCM streams over hdmi? The reason I ask is that I baught a new sound card and whever I set the output stream to 192khz it only registers a 96khz on the front panel. Similarly on the PS3 it selects 88.2khz as the upsampling rate vs the 172.4 khz rate.

If anyone can help me out here it would be really appreciated.
post #5050 of 17105 Old 02-14-2009, 09:10 AM

I'm a fairly new owner (couple of weeks) of a SC-07, and I have a concern. I have set up my 5.1 system and have run the auto-MCACC calibration.

My concern is this. I have notices a fairly loud, intermittent snap or "crack" coming from either the left or right side of my setup. If I try to pinpoint the noise, it sounds like it comes from either the left or right surround speaker, or half way between the surround and the front speaker on that particular side. It happens intermittently, but seems to happen when the receiver is switching between modes (for example, if I hit the next chapter button on the blu ray player and the mode goes from surround sound to stereo or from stereo back to surround).

Any thoughts on why that is occurring? Anyone else experience this?
post #5051 of 17105 Old 02-14-2009, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOG9 View Post

I'm a fairly new owner (couple of weeks) of a SC-07, and I have a concern. I have set up my 5.1 system and have run the auto-MCACC calibration.

My concern is this. I have notices a fairly loud, intermittent snap or "crack" coming from either the left or right side of my setup. If I try to pinpoint the noise, it sounds like it comes from either the left or right surround speaker, or half way between the surround and the front speaker on that particular side. It happens intermittently, but seems to happen when the receiver is switching between modes (for example, if I hit the next chapter button on the blu ray player and the mode goes from surround sound to stereo or from stereo back to surround).

Any thoughts on why that is occurring? Anyone else experience this?

You need to post more info. Details, details.

Many BD players do this - depending on connection and reciver. Mine does not from HDMI BDP-05 to SC-07. Some Pioneer BDP-51/05FD users report this due to a firmware (pre 1.25a) glich in the player but that affected all 7.1 analog to any receiver.

Are you connected via HDMI to the receiver?
Analog 5.1/7.1?
Who makes the BD player?
Firmware for same?

Then we may be able to help.

post #5052 of 17105 Old 02-14-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso View Post

Many BD players do this - depending on connection and reciver. Mine does not from HDMI BDP-05 to SC-07. Some Pioneer BDP-51/05FD users report this due to a firmware (pre 1.25a) glich in the player but that affected all 7.1 analog to any receiver.

Analog 5.1/7.1?
Who makes the BD player?
Firmware for same?

I have the same thing going on,whenever there is an interruption in the audio signal,such as a dvd movie on the menu screen and it plays it's little ditty on a continues loop,it will do this thru any speaker when one loop ends and another begins,also some times during a movie on a player that does not handle the layer change very well,like my xa2.Will also happen at times during mode changes.This happens with all of my players
post #5053 of 17105 Old 02-14-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso View Post

Analog 5.1/7.1?
Who makes the BD player?
Firmware for same?

Sorry for the initial lack of details.

The blu ray player is a Panasonic DMP-BD55K that is connected to the SC-07 via HDMI. I have not done any firmware upgrades to the player since I bought it in early December 2008.

As far as the audio, that is running from the blu-ray to the receiver via HDMI.

If it is just a compatibility issue between the BR player and the receiver, then I guess I live with it for now. But I just want to be sure nothing is wrong with the SC-07.
post #5054 of 17105 Old 02-14-2009, 01:25 PM

Hey fellow Buckeyes,

D-Nice is willing to make a calibration trip to Ohio if there are six of us. I have a Pioneer 5020 and I'm in. Anyone else?

He will calibrate any brand plasma or LCD. If interested, please PM D-Nice.

Thanks, Blue
post #5055 of 17105 Old 02-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkrio View Post

Does the pioneer SC-07 accept 192khz 5.1/7.1 PCM streams over hdmi? The reason I ask is that I baught a new sound card and whever I set the output stream to 192khz it only registers a 96khz on the front panel. Similarly on the PS3 it selects 88.2khz as the upsampling rate vs the 172.4 khz rate.

If anyone can help me out here it would be really appreciated.

It does not work for me via optical. My display shows 192kHz, but no sound comes from the sc-07.
post #5056 of 17105 Old 02-14-2009, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ok2me View Post

It does not work for me via optical. My display shows 192kHz, but no sound comes from the sc-07.

I'm not sure hi-bit upsampled or hi-rez audio can be transferred thru optical. I thought optical only supported 48K PCM. This goes back to the SACD/DVD-A days, but 96k & 192K could not be transferred via std. digital connections. The only digital interfaces that would work is encrypted high bandwidth ILink, Denon-Link and other proprietary interfaces like the one Ed Meitner (EMMLabs) uses on his DAC's/players.

It may be upsampled to 192K from analog inputs. Anyone else care to comment, if I'm right on this one?

ss9001

Steve
post #5057 of 17105 Old 02-14-2009, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

The blu ray player is a Panasonic DMP-BD55K that is connected to the SC-07 via HDMI. I have not done any firmware upgrades to the player since I bought it in early December 2008.

If it is just a compatibility issue between the BR player and the receiver, then I guess I live with it for now. But I just want to be sure nothing is wrong with the SC-07.

Good question, as I have a SC-07, and have been gone via work for some time and haven't had a chance to use this unit as much as I would like to. Well tonight I am loosing signal via HDMI. In fact I was fine via HDMI and my PS3 and my Oppo unit, once I introduced the Panasonic DMP-BD35 all worked well for awhile, now everything on the HDMI side is grayed out. I get no signal via HDMI now, none. I can't get anything to work via HDMI, the only thing I can think of is this board is fried or my older Audioquest cable I have is bad, which I am hoping for.. Any settings suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
post #5058 of 17105 Old 02-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nismo;
There's two areas you can play with:

(accessable from AUDIO PARAMETER)

A.DELAY (AUTO DELAY) Can be set ON or OFF (default OFF)
[size="1"][b]
This feature automatically
corrects the audio-to-video delay
between components connected
with an HDMI cable. The audio
delay time is set depending on the
operational status of the display
connected with an HDMI cable.

Anyone know of a way to adjust lipsync issues if I were to use the speakers on my display? The AVR is too slow with or without Audio Delay on. I believe the only way is to adjust the speaker distance but I was hoping to avoid this.
post #5059 of 17105 Old 02-15-2009, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
^^^^^^^

What is your setup? From previous posts, it looks like you have a 151FD and 09FD in addition to your SC.

I have a 05FD > HDMI > SC-07 > HDMI > 141FD, I have set the "A. Delay" (auto delay) on and it works fine for me (p. 97 of manual).

If you're using the manual setup, you can set a delay of up to 0.2 seconds (6 frames, see p. 96). Is that really not enough? Is your display really creating a delay of more than .2 secs?

Dan.
post #5060 of 17105 Old 02-15-2009, 08:16 AM

I purchased an SC-07 yesterday from OneCall that will hopefully be delivered by the end of this week. I am an audiophile wannabe, not embarrassed to ask a series of "dumb" questions during the learning curve, so please bear with me:

OK, 1st "dumb" question:

Using this setup for Blu-ray disc play back: PS3 --> HDMI --> SC-07 --> HDMI --> PRO-150FD, if the SC-07 video options are set to: RES = Pure and ASP = Through, will the SC-07 pass a 1080p24Hz signal coming from the PS3 to the PRO-150FD? From what I can tell it appears the video scaler supports 1080p60Hz, so unless I enable this feature will the SC-07 pass through a native 1080p24Hz signal?
post #5061 of 17105 Old 02-15-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

I purchased an SC-07 yesterday from OneCall that will hopefully be delivered by the end of this week. I am an audiophile wannabe, not embarrassed to ask a series of "dumb" questions during the learning curve, so please bear with me:

OK, 1st "dumb" question:

Using this setup for Blu-ray disc play back: PS3 --> HDMI --> SC-07 --> HDMI --> PRO-150FD, if the SC-07 video options are set to: RES = Pure and ASP = Through, will the SC-07 pass a 1080p24Hz signal coming from the PS3 to the PRO-150FD? From what I can tell it appears the video scaler supports 1080p60Hz, so unless I enable this feature will the SC-07 pass through a native 1080p24Hz signal?

The SC07 doesn't scale or upconvert any HDMI video.. it is only a pass through.
post #5062 of 17105 Old 02-15-2009, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

When I switch inputs or sometimes when you FWD, Pause or play again, the receiver says "Dial Norm +4" for a second. Have you guys seen a definition of what this does in the manual?
post #5063 of 17105 Old 02-15-2009, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post

When I switch inputs or sometimes when you FWD, Pause or play again, the receiver says "Dial Norm +4" for a second. Have you guys seen a definition of what this does in the manual?

Dial Norm is a feature of the encoding codecs, both DTS and Dolby.

It was designed to allow content mixed at various levels to be played at closer to relative volume so there aren't great swings in volume between different titles, or shows and commercials...

If you see Dial Norm +4, it means that the volume should be raised 4 db at your calibrated reference to get it back to the level where it was encoded at (the track is attenuated 4 db post decoding.)

The dialog norm metadata doesn't effect the encoded signal, and the way to "offset" (some manufacturers label it at "Dial Offset") the attenuation is to raise the volume 4db (in this case.)

Why use it for films? There really is no reason to use it as there is a strict monitoring standard for mixing films.. so if you play all titles at your preferred reference level, you should get back to the directors intention on any given title. However, the dialog norm setting determines the metadata used by the dynamic range compression technologies ("Midnight Modes") in your receiver when you activate them, so it is important in this respect. (There are also provisions in the metadata to have a title activate DRC automatically, but it's rarely used.)

In practice, very few content providers use the feature accurately (you are supposed to run the track and analyze the average dialog level and generate the dial norm setting from that...) Most people, unfortunately, leave it at the default setting of -27 (the range is from -31 towards zero, hence -27 is 4db away from -31.)...

If used properly, it would be a great asset for television broadcasters as it would equalize the programs from the commercials... but the industry is woefully uninformed in how to properly use it, and it has lead to technologies such as Audyssey Dynamic Volume and Dolby Volume.
post #5064 of 17105 Old 02-15-2009, 10:32 AM

I run a 5.1 system so I'm using the surround back channels to power speakers in another room but they are not as efficient as my main speakers so I need to adjust the volume of them separately but can't figure out how to do that. It seems all I can do is switch them on or off with the speaker switch (A, B or A & B). Is there any way to do this?
post #5065 of 17105 Old 02-15-2009, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

SOG:

No problem. Basic specifics help us all - we can then narrow down who has a similar system to you and who knows your gear best.

First thing I would do is update the Firmware on the 55- lots and lots changes every few months with most BD players.

Second - I am not aware of any compability issues with the player you mention and this receiver. I assume you are running a nice surge/filter device on both the player and the receiver? And that your power to the home is clean and not in a bad state?

Third I recommend you check out the Panny forum on the 35/55 units.
I can't speak to them but many here have them and you may be the first i have seen to report this issue.

Fourth, do you have HDMI-control turned off on the SC-07? If you don't use all Pio or all HDMI control units that could be the issue?

Also, fifth - are you on your Panasonic are you using PCM or bitstreaming BD sound codecs?

post #5066 of 17105 Old 02-15-2009, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG624 View Post

I run a 5.1 system so I'm using the surround back channels to power speakers in another room but they are not as efficient as my main speakers so I need to adjust the volume of them separately but can't figure out how to do that. It seems all I can do is switch them on or off with the speaker switch (A, B or A & B). Is there any way to do this?

AFIK:

The volume control is for EITHER Speaker A or Speaker B NOT BOTH independently.

Why would you want the extra 2.0 in the other room to be running when you are using 5.1 in the main room? Are you looking for Zone 2 options?
That may be a CHP issue I don't use Zone 2 but do use 7.1 in my main room, then manually switch (by first menu - reconfigure 7.1 back amp to 5.1 amp setting (PAIN IN THE ASS) to Speaker B then switch the actual speaker wires from my back 2.0 surround to my dining room 2.0 speakers using a Niles High Current Speaker switch wired to the Surround back/Speaker B channel on the SC-07.

I would imagine that there is no way to do independant volume control given the design of the reciver to share SBR and speaker B options. That is one feature I sorely miss from my 49TXi and one for which I will pay an extra 2k for next time.

post #5067 of 17105 Old 02-15-2009, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Dial Norm is a feature of the encoding codecs, both DTS and Dolby.

It was designed to allow content mixed at various levels to be played at closer to relative volume so there aren't great swings in volume between different titles, or shows and commercials...

If you see Dial Norm +4, it means that the volume should be raised 4 db at your calibrated reference to get it back to the level where it was encoded at (the track is attenuated 4 db post decoding.)

FilmMixer:

Do we adjust this manually or does the reciver - upon sensing this flag for Dial Norm +/- X do it automatically?

Thanks.

post #5068 of 17105 Old 02-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by info_dan View Post

^^^^^^^

What is your setup? From previous posts, it looks like you have a 151FD and 09FD in addition to your SC.

I have a 05FD > HDMI > SC-07 > HDMI > 141FD, I have set the "A. Delay" (auto delay) on and it works fine for me (p. 97 of manual).

If you're using the manual setup, you can set a delay of up to 0.2 seconds (6 frames, see p. 96). Is that really not enough? Is your display really creating a delay of more than .2 secs?

Dan.

Thanks. Yes, 09FD > HDMI > SC-07 > HDMI > 151FD. I tried the "A. Delay", but I need it to go negative because my TV is a tad ahead. I might just adjust the speaker distance. I just didn't want to mess with the THX specs, but what the heck, it's not much of an adjustment.
post #5069 of 17105 Old 02-15-2009, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone know of a way to adjust lipsync issues if I were to use the speakers on my display? The AVR is too slow with or without Audio Delay on. I believe the only way is to adjust the speaker distance but I was hoping to avoid this.

Quote:

Thanks. Yes, 09FD > HDMI > SC-07 > HDMI > 151FD. I tried the "A. Delay", but I need it to go negative because my TV is a tad ahead. I might just adjust the speaker distance. I just didn't want to mess with the THX specs, but what the heck, it's not much of an adjustment.

If you have set the HDMI audio in the receiver to Through rather than Amplifier, so it will use the TV's speakers, it's a straight HDMI passthrough to the TV and no adjustments you make in the receiver will change anything. Your problem lies with either the TV or the player.

Dennis H
post #5070 of 17105 Old 02-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catapult View Post

If you have set the HDMI audio in the receiver to Through rather than Amplifier, so it will use the TV's speakers, it's a straight HDMI passthrough to the TV and no adjustments you make in the receiver will change anything. Your problem lies with either the TV or the player.

It doesn't appear as an option for me when I cycle though the [Audio Parameter] button. I do remember seeing it at one time or another during my initial setup.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page