Official Pioneer SC-05 and SC-07 Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 17105 Old 09-12-2008, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, my SC-05 should be here tomorrow!! WOOOHOO!!! Its a quantum leap from what I had...(A Denon AVR3300) so I am excited! Here is my current setup...

CURRENT SETUP
1) Pioneer Elite SC-05
2) Pioneer Elite BDP-05 Blue Ray Player
2) Denon DVD 2910 Upscaling DVD Player
3) Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD
4) Definitive Pro Center 100
5) Definitive Pro Tower 400
6) Boston Accoustics CR6
7) Samsung DLP-6163W (1080i) (probably going to upgrade soon!)

My question, actually worry, is the LFE in the Pro Tower's. Using the Audessy, what level should I set the actual speaker to before I use the audessy? What would be the best way to set the audio up?!

Where you come from - Is gone. Where you thought you were going - Was never there. And where you are, aint no good unless you can get away from it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 17105 Old 09-12-2008, 07:37 PM

Neo:

If you want to see an interminable discussion of LFE, peruse the forum on the BD-05 and 51. The consensus seems to be that if your sub has an independent control, you can increase it that way.

Gary
post #543 of 17105 Old 09-13-2008, 05:24 AM

Cool THANKS!

Where you come from - Is gone. Where you thought you were going - Was never there. And where you are, aint no good unless you can get away from it.
post #544 of 17105 Old 09-13-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post

I know you said it worked fine before you hooked it up to the 07, but I would try setting the cable box to only pass either 720p or 1080i (if you have not done this already) and see if that makes a difference. If you have and that did not work, I would just run the HDMI to the TV and use an optical/coax connection to the 07 for when you want to watch something from cable in surround. This is how I currently have my SAT boxed hooked up.

Juan: My SA8300 DVR is set to 'pass through' to let the more 'sophisticated gear' do the upscaling but I did try as you suggested but had no success. I previously had the coax connected and I think I'll return to that configuration.

In addition (when I can get an ADE7095 connector) as you mentioned in another post, I'm going to disable HDMI control and activate the SR+.

Thanks for your response!

-George
post #545 of 17105 Old 09-13-2008, 08:27 AM

I know its terribly old technology, but I like to listen to baseball games. I tried to change from FM to AM on the Tuner, but no luck. The instructions say that pressing the "Band" button should alternate between FM and AM when the Tuner is on, but nothing changes for me.

Any one have any hints, or success?

Gary
post #546 of 17105 Old 09-13-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

G.M.
What does your Kuro say it's recieving ("display" on the tv remote)? You said this was only on your HiDef programs, it should say 1080i if it's HiDef.. from what you are saying, it sounds like it's outputing 480i.. If that's the case, you may want to verify your satbox resolution settings as Juan suggests.... The HDMI in the SC-07 can (should) only pass the signals exactly as it receives it from the source to the TV.

The resolutions are showing correctly on the screen so there is no problem getting the hi-def display. As I mentioned to Juan I'm going to return to my original set-up.

Thanks,

George
post #547 of 17105 Old 09-13-2008, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post

Juan: My SA8300 DVR is set to 'pass through' to let the more 'sophisticated gear' do the upscaling but I did try as you suggested but had no success. I previously had the coax connected and I think I'll return to that configuration.

In addition (when I can get an ADE7095 connector) as you mentioned in another post, I'm going to disable HDMI control and activate the SR+.

Thanks for your response!

-George

Wish that would have worked for you, but I prefer going straight to the TV from the DVR and hooking up a digital connection to the receiver as my family does not really care about watching cable/SAT TV in surround. I on the other hand, if it is worth surround, I will enable the receiver, but this way when I am not home, it saves a little electricity and wear on the receiver.

Juan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #548 of 17105 Old 09-13-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgilm View Post

That's funny, I just received my Pro 150 this past Wednesday and noticed the same thing. Mine also defaults to TV/Sat and I have to cycle through the numerous inputs to get to my HDMI 1 input which is my cable box. Another annoying thing is that the OSD for this unit even with a Pioneer tv is severly lacking. I renamed my HDMI inputs to "Comcast", "Direct TV" and "Blu-Ray" which shows up like that on the receiver but on the OSD, it shows up as HDMI 1, 2, etc. Plus the volume numbers on the OSD does not coincide with the numbers on the receiver.

Have you hooked up an SR+ cable yet? If so, what benefits does this give you? I have one on order but it won't be here until Saturday or Monday.

Could you tell me the source for your SR+ cable? I checked the Pioneer parts store and there are none in stock...

-George
post #549 of 17105 Old 09-13-2008, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Could you tell me the source for your SR+ cable? I checked the Pioneer parts store and there are none in stock...

-George

I don't know if there is one near you, but Fry's carries the cable, I would also check RadioShack. They might not call it an SR+ cable though.

Juan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #550 of 17105 Old 09-13-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbooth View Post

I know its terribly old technology, but I like to listen to baseball games. I tried to change from FM to AM on the Tuner, but no luck. The instructions say that pressing the "Band" button should alternate between FM and AM when the Tuner is on, but nothing changes for me.

Any one have any hints, or success?

Gary

gbooth, Make sure your switch below the LCD screen, is on RCV, select Tuner, then set switch to Source, then hit upper left button (X) from the circle keypad. That should toggle between AM/FM. Blue
post #551 of 17105 Old 09-13-2008, 09:36 AM

Ok, here's a stupid question...I've set up MCACC with several different listening positions. How do I choose one over the other? The best I could figure out was to go in the Home Menu and select Full MCACC as if I was going to do a set up, then select one of the memory modes I have, then exit out. Is there a better way? Thanks, Blue
post #552 of 17105 Old 09-13-2008, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 1091
For those thinking about an SR+ cable for the SC-05/07 in conjunction with a 9th gen Pioneer Kuro, I have bad news. D-Nice, our resident Pioneer expert, has informed me that the 9th gen has indeed dropped the SR+ in favor of SR. The SR connection will not overlay volume or anything else on-screen. However if you have an 8th gen Kuro, you should be OK.

So unless you put up with the quirkiness of HDMI Control or abandon HDMI connections, you won't get on-screen information with a 9th gen Kuro.

But you'll still have the great sound of these new receivers!
post #553 of 17105 Old 09-13-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

For those thinking about an SR+ cable for the SC-05/07 in conjunction with a 9th gen Pioneer Kuro, I have bad news. D-Nice, our resident Pioneer expert, has informed me that the 9th gen has indeed dropped the SR+ in favor of SR. The SR connection will not overlay volume or anything else on-screen. However if you have an 8th gen Kuro, you should be OK.

Yikes, Pio sure picked some great features to drop from the 9G!
post #554 of 17105 Old 09-13-2008, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueste View Post

Yikes, Pio sure picked some great features to drop from the 9G!

It is too bad about the loss of this feature, but I'm not sure what others they dropped. I know the Signature series deletes a number of features on the regular Elites in favor of a thinner chasis and a couple of other pluses.

It's hard to figure out the motivation of some of these companies.
post #555 of 17105 Old 09-13-2008, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:

It's hard to figure out the motivation of some of these companies.

Cost cutting to lower the price, sell more, and increase market share
They are hurting financially and need to sell more plasmas. So it comes down to what can they leave out without hurting the Elite brand image & excellent display results.

Also, thinner has higher WAF!
ss9001

Steve
post #556 of 17105 Old 09-13-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:

-George

I got mine off of Ebay (see item # 230289905197). It is actually coming from techcables.com based on the email I received after I won but is a little cheaper than going to their website. On their website the description is as follows:

"6 ft 4-pole 3.5mm mini plug control cable for Pioneer SR+"

So for $5 it should work the same as the $30+ Pioneer.
post #557 of 17105 Old 09-13-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:

So unless you put up with the quirkiness of HDMI Control or abandon HDMI connections, you won't get on-screen information with a 9th gen Kuro.

Fortunately I have an 8th gen Kuro. Unfortunately I would rather have a 9th gen even though it doesn't have SR+. What is the difference between SR+ and SR? And for 9th gen owners, what would be the point of hooking up a regular SR cable then if it doesn't overlay volume or anything else on-screen?
post #558 of 17105 Old 09-13-2008, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That sucks, my 7gen Pio has it and I am waiting for the 10g Pio before upgrading plasmas, I hope they put it back. If not, I wonder how it would work with the Harmony remote, I use one and I am thinking you can just configure it to switch inputs for you. Guess the only way to get the overlay accomplished is to as CHP_VR did.

Juan

post #559 of 17105 Old 09-13-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post

I don't know if there is one near you, but Fry's carries the cable, I would also check RadioShack. They might not call it an SR+ cable though.

Thanks for your suggestion but I guess that I'll not need one now based on the SR/SR+ info on the 9G Kuros posts further down in this thread. I just returned from a visit to my 151FD Manual and could find no reference to SR+; only SR was listed.

Also too bad that an exception to the SR+ was not included on page 70 in the SC-07/SC-05 Manual. It states that "If you have a Pioneer flat panel TV, you can use SR+ cable to connect it to this unit and take advantage of various convenient features, such as automatic video input switching on the flat panel TV when the input is changed." They must have had the cart before the horse!

Oh well... I think I'm going to go eat some worms!

-G

I
post #560 of 17105 Old 09-13-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:

I got mine off of Ebay (see item # 230289905197). It is actually coming from techcables.com based on the email I received after I won but is a little cheaper than going to their website. On their website the description is as follows:

"6 ft 4-pole 3.5mm mini plug control cable for Pioneer SR+"

So for $5 it should work the same as the $30+ Pioneer.

Thank for the info on the cable.

I guess now though, based on the info I just read here, that I will not need one since the 9G Kuros do not support SR+.

Thanks again.

-G
post #561 of 17105 Old 09-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This really stinks. Looks like I'll have to stay on the Denon bandwagon and replace both my AVR and DVD with their 4308CI and 3800. I just don't understand why they do not have real 'GUI' like all their competitors. This talk about their GUI improves video quality is bogus to me. It means nothing if it doesn't work. Even with the 9G display I got yesterday to replace the 7G, the GUI is a step back. The GUI on the SC-07 is the same as my 9G display, having the brushed aluminum look.

If the difference between the 4308CI and the SC-07 is efficiency, then it's not a big deal to turn the volume up. At least with the Denon, I'll be able to see the volume level when switching inputs and control it when it booms. With Pioneer, you're going blind trying to guess the volume during those booming moments.
post #562 of 17105 Old 09-13-2008, 12:30 PM

About 3 or 4 months ago, I saw posts re some Pioneer receivers that were doing the following: With no warning, they would go to full volume and no attempt to turn them down using the remote or even the volume knob on the receiver would turn them down. The only solution was to yank the plug out of the wall, as speakers and inner ears were being damaged. This was NOT on the 05, 07, 09 or the two lower new models. But, if anyone experiences this with the new models, please let us all know right away!

I AM favorably impressed that no owner has yet found anything that appears to require a firmware upgrade- quite a tribute to Pioneer since many manufacturers' products have required them.

Edit- Someone mentions that an on-line magazine has a good review of the 09 and I looked at some of it. The reviewer mentions that the 09 sounded better after it had been running for a week, and that it took a few minutes after it was switched on each time to sound its best. Maybe the 05 and 07 display the same characteristics, so you new owners might want to watch for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ok2me View Post

. If the difference between the 4308CI and the SC-07 is efficiency, then it's not a big deal to turn the volume up. At least with the Denon, I'll be able to see the volume level when switching inputs and control it when it booms. With Pioneer, you're going blind trying to guess the volume during those booming moments.

post #563 of 17105 Old 09-13-2008, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

This really stinks. Looks like I'll have to stay on the Denon bandwagon and replace both my AVR and DVD with their 4308CI and 3800. I just don't understand why they do not have real 'GUI' like all their competitors. This talk about their GUI improves video quality is bogus to me. It means nothing if it doesn't work. Even with the 9G display I got yesterday to replace the 7G, the GUI is a step back. The GUI on the SC-07 is the same as my 9G display, having the brushed aluminum look.

If the difference between the 4308CI and the SC-07 is efficiency, then it's not a big deal to turn the volume up. At least with the Denon, I'll be able to see the volume level when switching inputs and control it when it booms. With Pioneer, you're going blind trying to guess the volume during those booming moments.

As much as I'd like on-screen volume, I don't think it would make me switch my choice of receivers. Let's face it, for most people on-screen volume is not exactly high on the 'must have list'. The sound of the 05/07 is the primary selling point. And if you must have it, there are work-arounds as Chip pointed out.
post #564 of 17105 Old 09-13-2008, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anyone gone from an Arcam 300/350/700 to an 05/07. If so, what were your conclusions? Better sound, comparable sound?

I have a 700 and am thinking of "upgrading" - I have separate amps so the "ICE power" is not critical.

I am however, thinking that the 05/07 have better components (dacs) than the 01/03 series.

I am also thinking of adding a 51 as a BD player.

Thanks,

Tom
post #565 of 17105 Old 09-13-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueste View Post

gbooth, Make sure your switch below the LCD screen, is on RCV, select Tuner, then set switch to Source, then hit upper left button (X) from the circle keypad. That should toggle between AM/FM. Blue

Blue:

worked great: many thanks.

Gary
post #566 of 17105 Old 09-13-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:

The SC-07 is not for everyone. It is lacking in a lot of areas that many people may think are dealbreakers including HD radio, WiFi, great OSD, HDMI upconversion, firmware updates through ethernet, etc. It may or may not be efficiency but even when I turned the volume up on my 4308 to comparable levels it still didn't sound nearly as good as the Pioneer. I just felt it was missing something. If you are looking for a ton of features the Denon is much better. I don't and would not use half of the Denon's features so to me the SC-07 is much better for me.
post #567 of 17105 Old 09-13-2008, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I will be ordering the SC05 this upcoming week. I currently have a Sony 7100ES in my setup and for the life of me it wont pass 1080p. When I force it, it will work for a moment but when I switch inputs on the receiver it goes back to 1080i. So I'm buying the SC-05. Initially I wanted to go with the Elite 94 but after checking prices the 05 is a pretty good deal. Any thoughts on the 94 vs 05? Can firmware be updated using the ethernet port on the back? Thanks for your input guys, I cant wait to join you in audiobliss. I will be using the Pio as a pre/pro since I have external ICE amps from D-Sonic.

Click the link to see pics of my home theater

post #568 of 17105 Old 09-13-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

CT_Wiebe: NismoZ and Vonbek7777 ordered their's well before this thread was even started (NismoZ actually started the original VSX01/03 SC-05/07 thread)... I'm sure they understand about natural disasters. It's just that this has been an ongoing issue. I would be extremely frustrated at this point too.
EDIT: and I know I would not be as patient.

I'm in on the pre order as well and have been (patiently) waiting... I'm getting a bit tired of waiting tho...
post #569 of 17105 Old 09-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you are looking for a ton of features the Denon is much better. I don't and would not use half of the Denon's features so to me the SC-07 is much better for me.

I hear you, each their own needs...

I really want the SC-07, but my particular needs requires OSD for this price point, Wi-Fi is also nice for firmware upgrades or using my PC as a media server, which I currently do. I'll ponder over it some more. Geez, over $2K and no GUI vs the competitors? But, then you have ICE and so on...
post #570 of 17105 Old 09-13-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

I've heard that the SC07 and SC09 are close in certain audio performance areas... based on my experience with the SC09, I would take the SC07 any day over the 905/906 in regards to audio quality.

Thanks I had a listen today to the SC07 and they did sound very good. It's hard to A/B them
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page