post #5851 of 17097 Old 03-11-2009, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 View Post

Yeah welcome me to the club. I now own a Sc07 but I use it as a preamp right now.
I have all Dynaudio speakers so I use a Rotel RMB1095 to run them. I do plan on going Definitive Technology Mythos St and 10 for the front 3 and a pair of Gem xl's or a pair of 10's for the rears. I'm not sure what I wanna do. But thats a totally different story.
The sc07 makes a hell of a preamp. No limitations which is one of the reasons why I choose it. I love I can run all HDMI to it and still use all the other inputs. That was a key selling point for me. Not to mention eveything else it can do.
I'll post a few crappy pics.

Mantis10

Congratulations and welcome to the ICE CLUB!

Wow, really great looking set up!
Thanks for the pictures.
(updating review pages)

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 17097 Old 03-11-2009, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by worduphod View Post

Hey graphicguy,

Nice set up. I have the exact same tv/av stand. I had the same problem with my center channel, also the "bigfoot". I had it on a stand in front of the tv/av stand but ended up buying a tv tray (used for standard crt tv's) that mounts to the wall. I was able to mount the center channel directly above my tv and have it angled downward.

Nice looking sub as well, really nice finish. I have dual mfw-15's in satin black. I thought those looked good but yours looks awesome. BTW, I just put in a pre-order for the svs as-eq1. I have a lot of nulls in my room and am not able to move the subs to different locations to remedy these.

Thanks....I toyed with the idea of getting a separate EQ. But, after doing it the old fashioned way (shoving the sub around the room to different locations), I'm really very pleased with the response I'm getting from where it's now situated. Radio Shack SPL meter and test tones confirmed what I was hearing.

So, I decided against separate EQ. Not that it wouldn't help even more. But, I'm not going to sweat a few db here and a few db there of "tweaking".

Room placement of the sub made a big difference for me. I can see if some didn't have the placement flexibility that I have would probably want EQ.

Of course, all that will change once I get the new cabinetry done and the standalone bookshelves and gear stand goes away.

Separate subject....but didn't I hear that one of our SC group was getting an Epik sub?

Also, CHP this is directed towards you, have you got your HSU VTF3 dialed in? How's it sounding?

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #5853 of 17097 Old 03-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

Thanks....I toyed with the idea of getting a separate EQ. But, after doing it the old fashioned way (shoving the sub around the room to different locations), I'm really very pleased with the response I'm getting from where it's now situated. Radio Shack SPL meter and test tones confirmed what I was hearing.

So, I decided against separate EQ. Not that it wouldn't help even more. But, I'm not going to sweat a few db here and a few db there of "tweaking".

Room placement of the sub made a big difference for me. I can see if some didn't have the placement flexibility that I have would probably want EQ.

Of course, all that will change once I get the new cabinetry done and the standalone bookshelves and gear stand goes away.

Separate subject....but didn't I hear that one of our SC group was getting an Epik sub?

Also, CHP this is directed towards you, have you got your HSU VTF3 dialed in? How's it sounding?

Maybe me? I had a Phoenix on order to replace my new HSU 3.3, but decided against it for now. I am not sure I like the port design and want to read some reviews on it. So for now, I will wait I guess. But, in the meantime, the SVS PB13 Ultra has been haunting me now

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #5854 of 17097 Old 03-11-2009, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readykilowatt View Post

If I'm listening to a CD, will the subwoofers get a signal? I've always been under the impression that the subwoofer output will only activate with movie soundtracks. Sorry for sounding like a noob.

It depends upon your settings. To cover a few of the most common scenarios:

A) If you follow the standard advice, which is to set all your main speakers to Small, the answer is "yes." The low frequency signal below your crossover will be directed to the sub.

B) If you set all your main speakers to Large, then the 2 channel bass will stay in the main speakers and will not be directed to the subwoofer.

C) If you set your front R/L speakers to Large, and the rest to Small, the sub will receive a signal if you use one of the multichannel options (Dolby PL, Neural THX, etc.) when you play a CD. However, if you choose stereo, the sub will receive no input (the lows stay in the L/R channel).

D) If you set the sub for "Plus" (aka "Double Bass"), the sub will receive a signal even if the other speakers are Large. In this case, the same non-LFE bass is sent to the main speakers and the subwoofer. The downside is that this setting degrades the fidelity of the bass from multichannel sources in unpredictable ways. It may produce boomy bass or audible low frequency cancellations (less bass), and almost never results in the sound the producer intended.

Most movies have a separate LFE channel (the .1 in 7.1). That is not affected by the settings of the other speakers, so it is always directed to the subwoofer if one is installed. When the main speakers are set to Small, the sub reproduces both the LFE lows and any lows encoded in the other channels.

For the vast majority of people, the best course is to follow the recommendation of most experts (including Dolby and THX) and set your speakers to small, as in (A) above. It is also best to disable your subwoofer's crossover or, if that is not possible, set it to it's highest setting and let the AVR handle the bass management function.
post #5855 of 17097 Old 03-11-2009, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dialed in and loving it.. But I have tendency to not leave things alone now
So I've been playing with house curves and "Bent knee" curves..

Using the REW software really makes it too easy... I'm sure if I was manually creating a speadsheet with various SPL readings I would have quit and left well enough alone. As it is, I heard there's break-in period for new subwoofers, so I was checking it all over again last night to see if there were any changes... there weren't.. so I tweeked some the filters instead)

Using the BFD let's me keep various curves so I can play back the same scene or track at different settings with just a push of a button...
The biggest advantage has been being able to use the PEQ filters to cut off peaks to smooth everything out..that gives me a bit more flexibility in locaton. Yes, I hear differences..
So far, I like flat for music and "bent knee" for movies...
I found some of my old midi stuff, so I don't even have to program the BFD by hand now, I just let the midi interface do it.. lazy but cool

Now I'm playing with changing the curves to get "the perfect" blend with the least amount of filters.. I love this hobby!

I'm very happy with the VFT3 right now.. it's day and night from what I had before. Even though I don't need it, I still wonder about about the SVS PB13 ULTRA, (I was originally debating between getting that one and the ULS-15 at the time).. but I'm also curious about adding turbo or an additional VFT3..

Right now I can only make the attic and walls shake and rumble, my goal is to shake the house across the street.. it's an old beach house, so I'm sure I can knock it down with just the right harmonics........(j/k BTW, kinda)

so on and so on.... just one more thing and that's all I need...

Hmmm... come to think about it, I tested it in maximum extended mode last night.. I forgot to check in maximum output mode.. looks like I "HAVE" to recheck everything again tonight, thanks for reminding me graphicguy!..

post #5856 of 17097 Old 03-11-2009, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Gov....SVS Ultra surely wouldn't disappoint. I thought I read somewhere one of the "SC regulars" was looking at an Epik. Probably was you.

I know recently looking at Epik's web site, things were revamped. Quite a few sealed designs now available. Since they've been off the radar for awhile, I was wondering how their new subs performed. Guess I'll keep my eyes open for the first end user reports.

CHP....you? A tweaker? We never knew....

I used to run my VTF in ME mode exclusively. Then, tried it in MO. Like you, depending on the source, I'd go back and forth putting in the plug, taking it out, putting it back in...finally settled on ME.

I've got things dialed in. Very Happy! That is, until the point I'm not, then it starts again. Just a matter of time before I hear of something that I just "gotta have" and I start justifying in my feeble mind why I need it.

post #5857 of 17097 Old 03-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Chip....bass is a sickness!! Since getting my 3.3 I have become addicted to it and am constantly tweaking as well!! I like my 3.3 in maximum extension now exclusively because once you feel bass under 20hz there is no going back! I am pondering over the PB13 as well because I feel like at times with certain material the 3.3 is running full bore and at its headroom max. I would like a bit more headroom.

Graphic....hope your enjoying your MFW!!

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #5858 of 17097 Old 03-11-2009, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

Graphic....hope your enjoying your MFW!!

All is good. Fingers are crossed!!!!!!!

post #5859 of 17097 Old 03-11-2009, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Graphicguy, Gov;
I hear ya!
Caution: just don't let catapult or devinjc get you in DIY stuff...
You'll end up like this guy... (which could be me in couple of years I guess if I keep getting this "urge for more")
On the bright side, I guess I should be able to flatten the whole block with this..

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post15511644

post #5860 of 17097 Old 03-11-2009, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
btw, i have jeff (umr) coming tomorrow morning for a tv calibration... he worked magic with my old 82txs, it ought to be interesting to see what he can coax out of the sc... it will also be interesting to see the room graphs the way i have it set up now...

listening to the "augusta" song and dreaming of magnolia lane... i cannot wait for the masters... this year, it ought to sound just as spectacular as it looks...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #5861 of 17097 Old 03-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

Graphicguy, Gov;
I hear ya!
You'll end up like this guy... (which could be me in couple of years I guess if I keep getting this "urge for more")
On the bright side, I guess I should be able to flatten the whole block with this..

LOL Awesome!!

post #5862 of 17097 Old 03-11-2009, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

btw, i have jeff (umr) coming tomorrow morning for a tv calibration... he worked magic with my old 82txs, it ought to be interesting to see what he can coax out of the sc... it will also be interesting to see the room graphs the way i have it set up now...

listening to the "augusta" song and dreaming of magnolia lane... i cannot wait for the masters... this year, it ought to sound just as spectacular as it looks...

That's great, ccotenj!
Anxious to hear how it goes.
I know eldithomaso was very very happy with the work UMR did for him on his system.. I think FilmMixer had UMR do his projector room as well..

post #5863 of 17097 Old 03-11-2009, 04:28 PM
TL5
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Well I just went and ordered an SC-05! My first Elite rec. A question (first of many I'm sure If I play a DVD-A or SACD, what mode and settings would you experts recommend?
post #5864 of 17097 Old 03-11-2009, 04:43 PM

Liked: 10
ARGH!!! I wish my wife wasn't too budget-conscious. Seeing pix of the 05/07 makes my 03 look like a kids' toy.
post #5865 of 17097 Old 03-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunDom View Post

ARGH!!! I wish my wife wasn't too budget-conscious. Seeing pix of the 05/07 makes my 03 look like a kids' toy.

Hey Gun...If you upgrade she will not know the differece from an 03 to the 05/07...Mine didn't...
post #5866 of 17097 Old 03-11-2009, 05:07 PM

Can't get HMG to work. Only thing between my PC and the SC-05 is the AT&T U-Verse RG/router. Can see the SC-05 on the network. Says "Network Found" on the SC-05. Also can play Internet radio. But in WMP 11, when I enable Media Sharing, it's not seeing the SC-05. Only running Windows Firewall on the PC. Turned it off, still nothing. Have been on the phone twice with Pioneer and AT&T. First Pioneer guy thought it was firewall issue with the AT&T U-Verse RG/router. Second Pioneer guy disagreed and said it was something running on the PC that was blocking media sharing. I have shut down everything on the PC but still nothing. Would appreciate any suggestions especially if someone has gotten the SC-05 to work with U-Verse. Thanks.
post #5867 of 17097 Old 03-11-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fuller68 View Post

Hey Gun...If you upgrade she will not know the differece from an 03 to the 05/07...Mine didn't...

She will!
post #5868 of 17097 Old 03-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fuller68 View Post

The 03 is a very nice receiver and very dynamic. I like it a lot. Not feel left out or whimpy, you in the Elite club at least,

Dan
post #5869 of 17097 Old 03-11-2009, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's great, ccotenj!
Anxious to hear how it goes.
I know eldithomaso was very very happy with the work UMR did for him on his system.. I think FilmMixer had UMR do his projector room as well..

oh, i fully expect to be satisfied... he's very thorough and takes the time to explain the whole process. it was a pleasure to have him in my home the last time he was here...

i know we say it over and over again, but i'm still amazed how happy i am with my setup now. no matter what i tried in this room, there was always something not quite right. i'm listening to a philadelphia chamber orchestra compilation cd right now (which i got to see all of the performances in person, so i have a good reference point) and it's almost like being there... it's like i've finally hit a "sweet spot" in the combination of equipment, and short of spending many many more dollars, i can't think of anything i'd like better...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #5870 of 17097 Old 03-11-2009, 05:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL5 View Post

Well I just went and ordered an SC-05! My first Elite rec. A question (first of many I'm sure If I play a DVD-A or SACD, what mode and settings would you experts recommend?

good question, but hard to answer... a lot depends on your personal preference and the rest of your setup...

it also depends on the actual recording... imo, well recorded and mixed material sounds best to me "just plain" (same is true for redbook cd's)... other material can be definitely helped by applying one of the surround processing modes, especially with soloists, it helps lock the vocalist into place if the mix is a mess... and with some material, the ambiance that the surround modes create can be rather pleasing... for example, "yellowstone" by mannheim steamroller is really good in stereo, but it's awesome with dplii music applied...

you'll have to play with it... i've had mine for quite some time, and i'm still messing around and trying out different things...

- chris

post #5871 of 17097 Old 03-11-2009, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worduphod View Post

BTW, I just put in a pre-order for the svs as-eq1. I have a lot of nulls in my room and am not able to move the subs to different locations to remedy these.

Unfortunately, EQ can't do much to fix nulls. The sound is getting canceled by reflections and boosting it at those frequencies doesn't help. If you can't move the subs, and can't install bass traps, you need to play with the volume and phase of the individual subs to see if you can tame the nulls. Then run the EQ.

Dennis H
post #5872 of 17097 Old 03-11-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

TUA....yeah, I think that Eagles DVD was in Melbourne. Not completely sure, though. I maybe a little biased, though. I actually caught them several years ago during their "Hell Freezes Over" tour. While the DVD doesn't highlight it, Joe Walsh actually stole that show. I know that Henley and Frey are the supposed leaders, but Walsh outplayed and outperformed both of them.

My speakers....I'm running AV123 Rockets all the way around. Depending on the speaker, they're 6 Ohm-4 Ohm loads. RS250250 MK II for L/R, "Big Foot" RSC 200 center, RSS300 dipole surrounds, MFW 15 sub.

Glad youre enjoying the system...The more time I spend on this forum the more I lean toward the "dark side" haha. I was wondering, my router is upstairs, is there anything I can get to stream music from my laptop (setup is downstairs) directly to the sc-07, and if so, does it only do it in 2.1?
post #5873 of 17097 Old 03-11-2009, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Graphicguy, Gov;
I hear ya!

Nah Charles, my preferences are more like this. It's not about loud, it's about flat and clean. I've never seen bass response that flat in a room without bass traps. Gonna have to try that.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=837744

http://freenet-homepage.de/FoLLgoTT/...sung_24oct.gif

Dennis H
post #5874 of 17097 Old 03-11-2009, 06:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catapult View Post

Unfortunately, EQ can't do much to fix nulls. The sound is getting canceled by reflections and boosting it at those frequencies doesn't help. If you can't move the subs, and can't install bass traps, you need to play with the volume and phase of the individual subs to see if you can tame the nulls. Then run the EQ.

+1... eq works well for peaks, but nulls are an incredible nuisance and really can't be eq'd out... attempting to eq nulls is a good way to torch a sub amp...

short of what dennis outlined, you'll have to live with it... not a "great" answer, but unfortunately, the only one...

- chris

post #5875 of 17097 Old 03-11-2009, 06:03 PM

haha...ok ok...I just think that would be a pretty cool feature to sit on your laptop and stream music "wirelessly". Do you have any experience with TVersity? Do you have it setup where you can stream from a laptop to the receiver? I was comparing the yamaha 3900 to the sc-05, it seems the SQ is def better, but u get more features from the 3900. My gf loves the features where I love the SQ...so I guess we know who will win...haha. So I'm trying to find any way to fulfill her wishes with the sc-05. And that was one of her "no budge wish".

I sent this waaaaaaaaaaaay back in Sept, was wondering if anyone knows anything?
post #5876 of 17097 Old 03-11-2009, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catapult View Post

Nah Charles, my preferences are more like this. It's not about loud, it's about flat and clean. I've never seen bass response that flat in a room without bass traps. Gonna have to try that.
[/IMG]

crikey!! now THAT is flat...

- chris

post #5877 of 17097 Old 03-11-2009, 06:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tua09788 View Post

haha...ok ok...I just think that would be a pretty cool feature to sit on your laptop and stream music "wirelessly". Do you have any experience with TVersity? Do you have it setup where you can stream from a laptop to the receiver? I was comparing the yamaha 3900 to the sc-05, it seems the SQ is def better, but u get more features from the 3900. My gf loves the features where I love the SQ...so I guess we know who will win...haha. So I'm trying to find any way to fulfill her wishes with the sc-05. And that was one of her "no budge wish".

I sent this waaaaaaaaaaaay back in Sept, was wondering if anyone knows anything?

do you use itunes? if so, an airport express will more than fit the bill...

- chris

post #5878 of 17097 Old 03-11-2009, 06:12 PM

I do use Itunes...thats pretty neat...so I can transmit music straight my laptop? nice, I was thinking about the squeezebox duet, that's what you suggested a while back, but a couple people i know who had it...hated it for some reason
post #5879 of 17097 Old 03-11-2009, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tua09788 View Post

I do use Itunes...thats pretty neat...so I can transmit music straight my laptop? nice, I was thinking about the squeezebox duet, that's what you suggested a while back, but a couple people i know who had it...hated it for some reason

yup. straight from your laptop.

plug airport express into wall.
run optical cable from airport express to sc-05.
join your airport express to your wireless network (it even plays nice with wpa2 encryption).
fire up itunes.
at the bottom right of the itunes screen, it'll give you a dropdown box to pick where to send the stream (computer/airport express).
and away you go. so easy, even an old guy like me can do it.

i use both an appletv and 2 airport expresses to stream to 3 different locations in my house. works great. appletv is an even better option if you have an iphone/itouch, because then you don't even need the laptop in the equation. just sync your library to the appletv, and it functions perfectly as a jukebox.

- chris

post #5880 of 17097 Old 03-11-2009, 06:29 PM

haha...thanks geico...do you have a mac/pc?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page