Official Pioneer SC-05 and SC-07 Owners Thread - Page 198 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5911 of 17105 Old 03-12-2009, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
ok, got home about 40 minutes ago... i didn't get a chance to stay home and watch jeff do his calibration, i just stopped by at lunch to see a few things...

first in the cd player was a live performance of beethoven's 5th (maazel: vienna philharmonic)... this is my current favorite piece of music, and i'm very familiar with it, as i listen to it just about every day...

i didn't think it could get any better, but it has... the imaging is even better than before, without taking a soundstage hit... and the the overall quality is improved... as usual, i'm not good with audiophile terms, but my ears (and, just as important, swmbo ears) are VERY happy. well worth the price (and that's ignoring the job he did on my display, which is spectacular).

disclaimer: non-scientific test, so i cannot discount the possibility of placebo effect. however, like i said, i'm very familiar with the piece in question. ymmv.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5912 of 17105 Old 03-12-2009, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headspace View Post

Is the new Class D ICE amplifier in the 05/07 is solid as the Mosfet amplifier on the older series VSX-56TXi Elite receivers? I see the new Elite receivers weigh quite a bit less.... My old 56 is built like a rock.

I see the new Onkyo SR-876 can handle a 4 ohm load. Can the new Elite?

Any receiver can hold a 4 ohm load but as a end user you don't want to use a receiver to handle this load. What happens when a receiver runs low loads is it runs out of gas per say. You lose dynamic range which means soft to high sound all sound somewhat the same. Also when you go into reference levels most receivers will clip as it simply can't handle this. Onkyo and Integra both can handle the load but have a hard time doing so. External power amps would be required to run such hard speakers.
The Sc07 is not rated to handle 4 ohm loads. It's rated from 6 to 16 ohms. This is the range where this receivers internal amps will perform there best. Can it hold the load? Yes but as said it will run out of gas and probably go into protection.
So my question to you is why do you want to use a receiver to drive difficult load speakers?
I personally own a full 4 ohm load speaker package in the Dynaudio Audience series. They are all 4 ohm load and to top it off 86/87 db which puts more load on the amp that has to drive them. I had a full Rotel separates system as even Rotel told me there receiver could handle that load at then the rsx1067 but a separate power amp and pre amp would be a better choice for this speaker package. There receiver is rated to handle the 4 ohm load but as the tech told me, it would run out of gas at reference levels and I would lack Dynamic range . With the external power amp, this would not be an issue, I would run out before the amp will.

Think about this before you buy a receiver and use the internal amps. I own the Sc07 but use my Rotel RMB1095 to run my speakers. When I change out my speakers to 8 ohm load speakers , I will then use the internal ICE amps.

Dan
post #5913 of 17105 Old 03-12-2009, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

oooooo.... amp guts!!! we LIKE amp guts! thanks dennis...

+1
added pict to front page (next to ICE POWER), thanks catapult

Quote:

ok, got home about 40 minutes ago... i didn't get a chance to stay home and watch jeff do his calibration, i just stopped by at lunch to see a few things...

first in the cd player was a live performance of beethoven's 5th (maazel: vienna philharmonic)... this is my current favorite piece of music, and i'm very familiar with it, as i listen to it just about every day...

i didn't think it could get any better, but it has... the imaging is even better than before, without taking a soundstage hit... and the the overall quality is improved... as usual, i'm not good with audiophile terms, but my ears (and, just as important, swmbo ears) are VERY happy. well worth the price (and that's ignoring the job he did on my display, which is spectacular).

disclaimer: non-scientific test, so i cannot discount the possibility of placebo effect. however, like i said, i'm very familiar with the piece in question. ymmv.

ccotenj;
Thanks for the update!
Sounds like UMR worked his magic to make an even bigger performance improvement to your system.
Scary isn't it? Just when you think it's perfect, you find something that makes it even better.....
Now, what's your next upgrade?

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
post #5914 of 17105 Old 03-12-2009, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

+1
ccotenj;
Thanks for the update!
Sounds like UMR worked his magic to make an even bigger performance improvement to your system.
Scary isn't it? Just when you think it's perfect, you find something that makes it even better.....
Now, what's your next upgrade?

yea, he's got a magic touch with these things. i wish i had skills like that. like i said, i freely admit it could be placebo, but i don't have the patience to do even a semi-blind test.

lessee... if someone has a servo15 v2 lying around that they aren't using, i could use one of those... mine looks lonely by itself...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #5915 of 17105 Old 03-12-2009, 03:31 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Here's my sub.. excuse the wires, was running rew last night..

VFT3-MK3 Rosenut

No, I don't normally have my surround speakers on the sub..

Wife's into fru-fru crap, so she wanted me to paint the stands....
just finished painting them and waiting for the clearcoat to dry

(Click photo for larger image)

They were originally 36" SP200 Bello all black metal stands:
http://www.racksandstands.com/Bello-SP-200-BB0022.html
What can I say? If it makes her happy and she lets me play with my toys

Wait a minute!! Is that a fingerprint in the lower right corner? j/k
I bet the sub sounds awesome!
post #5916 of 17105 Old 03-12-2009, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueste View Post

Wait a minute!! Is that a fingerprint in the lower right corner? j/k
I bet the sub sounds awesome!

No way, I even wiped the wires to make sure no one could accuse me of leaving one

post #5917 of 17105 Old 03-12-2009, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post

Hey guys. I am in a room that 28x14x8 for the theater. I noticed that in the SC-07 MCAAC menu, you can choose how far appart the rear speakers are.

Dolby recommends 150-135 degree placement for rears. I've always had them about 3 feet appart, but that only got me to the 160 degree or so range. I just now pushed them to 5 ft appart and adjusted MCAAC accordingly.

My question to you guys is do you like your rear speakers closer or pushed out farther? I'm also wondering what changes in AVR output are made when you select the rear channel speaker distance. Does it take a bit of sound usually played in the sides and push it to the rears?

NismoZ,
Don't know if this helps or answers anything, but according to THX ULTRA2 processing:

"Whereas THX Surround EX simply called for two more surround speakers at the back of the room for the then new sixth channel, Ultra2 replaced them with a pair of monopole speakers specifically placed right next to each other. Somewhat like the way two-channel stereo can "position" sounds between two speakers, THX with their new process they call ASA, or Advanced Speaker Array, is able to "position" virtual surround speakers between the side surround speaker and the corresponding rear speaker (it's not really that simple, but it is the best way to visualize it). So while Ultra2 controllers still offer THX Cinema and THX Surround EX modes, THX introduced three new THX modes with Ultra2 which use ASA:"
and:
"Its important to note that the Ultra2 controller has a setting for the distance between the two rear speakers, the default being <1ft as depicted above, yielding the most spacious sound field. The alternate setting of 1-4 ft can be used to "favor" the music playback mode. By moving the physical rear speakers apart, there is less of a "virtual speaker", with more of the surround sound in Music mode coming from the monopole rear speakers"

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...06-part-4.html

post #5918 of 17105 Old 03-12-2009, 04:19 PM

Liked: 13
Hey guys, does the SC-07 apply post processing to HBR audio, like DTS-MA, LPCM, and TrueHD? I used to have VSX-82 that couldn't do it, and my Integra DTC-9.8 can without a problem.

I just bought one of these, and I am hoping I didn't make a mistake... I have listened to it on another setup, and it sounded marvelous, but I REALLY need it to do give me PLIIx overlay on a 5.1 source, due to my setup.

Thanks!
post #5919 of 17105 Old 03-12-2009, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst96se View Post

Hey guys, does the SC-07 apply post processing to HBR audio, like DTS-MA, LPCM, and TrueHD? I used to have VSX-82 that couldn't do it, and my Integra DTC-9.8 can without a problem.

I just bought one of these, and I am hoping I didn't make a mistake... I have listened to it on another setup, and it sounded marvelous, but I REALLY need it to do give me PLIIx overlay on a 5.1 source, due to my setup.

Thanks!

Yes.

Juan

My HT
post #5920 of 17105 Old 03-12-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

I didn't have the 56TXi, but I used to own it's bigger brother, the 59 TXi. They were heavier, without a doubt. But, I attribute some of that to the bigger heat sinks needed since they were running AB type amps in them. Some of it was because of the extensive copper shielding used in the 5xTXi series, too. Before I purchased the SC 05, I wondered what affect the copper shielding had on SQ. My fears were unfounded, though as the SC 05 sounds better than my 59TXi.

Those were very nice AVRs. My SC 05 outmuscles the 59 TXi, however.

The SC series doesn't need large heat sinks since they're Class D switching amps and run much more efficiently and much cooler (my SC 05 never gets more than lukewarm, at most). I've got it in a tight space, too.

My speakers are a mix of 4 Ohm-6 Ohm loads. The SC 05 never breaks a sweat driving them. One owner that used to post here has an all Magnepan set up (very difficult to drive) and was pleased with the results with an SC driving them.

In David Vaughn's review for UltimateAV (linked on the first page of this thread) he was running all 4 Ohm M&K speakers and reported the SC 05 drove them very well.

Hope that helps.

Thank you GG. It helps a lot! I don't think this news will please my wife however...

I see an 07 upgrade on the horizon.
post #5921 of 17105 Old 03-12-2009, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 View Post

I personally own a full 4 ohm load speaker package in the Dynaudio Audience series. They are all 4 ohm load and to top it off 86/87 db which puts more load on the amp that has to drive them......

Think about this before you buy a receiver and use the internal amps. I own the Sc07 but use my Rotel RMB1095 to run my speakers. When I change out my speakers to 8 ohm load speakers , I will then use the internal ICE amps.

Dan

Dan, did you try the Pioneer amps with your speakers or did you just assume they wouldn't work well? Other people have reported good results with 4-ohm speakers and some dumped their external amps.

Dennis H
post #5922 of 17105 Old 03-12-2009, 07:08 PM

I just got my SC-05 installed and am running into a couple of issues that maybe someone here can give me some ideas about:

1. I've hooked up my HD Cable box to the SC-05 using the RCA Jacks. I hooked them up to the TV input. I originally had the HD hooked up to the SC-05 (2nd HDMI input) but it didn't want to display anything. I didn't try to long to make it work as the cable company informed me that the HDMI signal doesn't carry the audio anyway (?). As soon as I hooked it up via the TV input jacks, it works like a champ. Everything except the Menu and Guide buttons - they don't display and I'm forced to navigate the huge assortment of channels one at a time! (the humanity!) Before I hooked it up to the SC-05, I had the unit attached to one of my 111FD HDMI inputs (the same one actually that the SC-05 is now hooked up to). When it was hooked into my TV directly, I used the AV connection to connect it to the audio in on the TV so it all worked well. But, since the hookup to the SC-05 it won't display. I see that the HD Tuner is receiving signal but nothing is gettting to the TV. Is this something that I hooked up incorrectly (I've messaged my cable provider to find out if the guide and menu should appear through the AV connection or just through the HDMI).

2. I tried to get the FM tuner to tune but it won't respond to the Tune Up/Down on the remote. Am I missing something? I tried to hold the Tuner button down at the same time as the Tune Up/Down buttons, but that didn't work either.

Thanks for any ideas.
post #5923 of 17105 Old 03-12-2009, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

welcome aboard captain!

1) the cable company is blowing air up your behind... yes, the audio is carried over the hdmi cable... have you gone into the audio menu of your cable box and checked to see where the audio is pointed to? most of them have an option that you need to set. there may also be an option that needs to be set to activate the hdmi output for video as well. that being said, hdmi and cable boxes sometimes don't play nice together. if you cannot get hdmi to work, run component cables and a spdif cable from the cable box to the sc-05.

2) trying to remember, since i never used the factory remote, but i know there's a switch on it that you need to have in the "correct" position for various functions to work. charles will remember.

- chris

post #5924 of 17105 Old 03-12-2009, 07:18 PM

Hello, I just registered here, and also just purchased an sc-07 from ebay for 1045.00 with free s+h insured. they have sc-05's on ebay right now for 795.00 free s+h also. If you are looking for a great deal on one of these units right now might be the time. Take a look.

Am upgrading from my pioneer vsx-1012 which I have loved for about 3-4 years. I have been running a 7.1 system DD-EX/DTS-ES throughout happily. The jbl e-100's I have are capable of bi-amping, as well as the sc-07. Should I setup the 07 with the bi-amping capabilities availible, and lose the 7.1 for the 5.1 bi-amp driven sound? or stick with the 7.1 setup like my vsx-1012-k? I would love any feedback here. I am using Direct Tv HD-Tv receiver, and a PS3 for blu rays. My Projector is naitive 720p resolution and typically run in 720p and 1080i picture, for my video / audio sources. Sould I consider Bi-wiring? Can I benefit from either of the options I have listed or not? Do I just stay simple and hook up 8 speakers Mccacc dial in and run?

Also I do not have any surge protection currently, I live in Wa state and we don't have too many spikes or lightning storms that I can speak of should I invest in a surge protector for my new precious Sc-07 Amp?
post #5925 of 17105 Old 03-12-2009, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by catapult View Post

Dan, did you try the Pioneer amps with your speakers or did you just assume they wouldn't work well? Other people have reported good results with 4-ohm speakers and some dumped their external amps.

No I didn't. I removed a Rotel rsp1068 and put the Sc07 in it's place. I completely rewired the system in full HDMI. The only analog signal I have going to the Sc07 now is a Wii. No digital or anything. All 4 HDMI inputs are used.
My Rotel RMB1095 is up for sale and I'm putting together a full Def Tech Mythos system which is 8 ohms. I do plan on using the internal amps then. I may give the system a shot with the Dynaudio's but I don't have any faith.
They suck the life out of some amps so chances the ICE amps hold up is thin.

Now if I was able to purchase the Sc09, I would try in a heart beat. Not to mention I have Installed a few Sc09's and one powered a full 7.1 home theater package and I ran it reference levels for a good part of Transformers. It didn't even get hot, just warm.

Dan
post #5926 of 17105 Old 03-12-2009, 07:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

welcome truck!

imo...

i would start simple... hook up all your speakers, run mcacc, listen and see if you like it...

bi-wiring is a waste of time, money and wire...

bi-amping CAN be useful under certain circumstances, but don't they apply here... to see any real benefits from bi-amping, you really need to run an active crossover network, which is a LOT more involved than just running wire from the amp to the speakers... and frankly, those benefits are probably marginal unless you have some type of esoteric speaker setup...

surge protection is best approached as a 2 phase approach, with whole house protection at the breaker box (cheaper than you think) and inexpensive surge strips at the location(s) of the equipment (on the off chance you pick up an internal surge)... that's a much more involved topic, and you can find MUCH discussion about that in the audio theory topics...

- chris

post #5927 of 17105 Old 03-12-2009, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's great, ccotenj!
Anxious to hear how it goes.
I know eldithomaso was very very happy with the work UMR did for him on his system.. I think FilmMixer had UMR do his projector room as well..

Quite happy with UMR and his work on the system.

Before UMR the SC-07 was rather harsh. After - most pleasing. Still not as smooth and robust as the 49TXi but a fine substitute.

....saving for SC-09TX....need to win lotto.

Isn't it time someone promoted quality as value?
post #5928 of 17105 Old 03-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPeaslee View Post

Can't get HMG to work. Only thing between my PC and the SC-05 is the AT&T U-Verse RG/router. Can see the SC-05 on the network. Says "Network Found" on the SC-05. Also can play Internet radio. But in WMP 11, when I enable Media Sharing, it's not seeing the SC-05. Only running Windows Firewall on the PC. Turned it off, still nothing. Have been on the phone twice with Pioneer and AT&T. First Pioneer guy thought it was firewall issue with the AT&T U-Verse RG/router. Second Pioneer guy disagreed and said it was something running on the PC that was blocking media sharing. I have shut down everything on the PC but still nothing. Would appreciate any suggestions especially if someone has gotten the SC-05 to work with U-Verse. Thanks.

If you had Vista, I would have suggested to make your network sharing to Public in order for your AVR to be permitted to connect to the PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basheer View Post

Hi s-one,

Did you ever find a solution to your problem?

I have the same issue with my SC-07. Via a networked PC, when I try to play a FLAC I get "Server Error", but I can play the same file with no problems via USB......

Thanks,
Basheer

Try rerunning your Network setup from beginning to end from your AVR and see if that works.
LL
LL
post #5929 of 17105 Old 03-12-2009, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 View Post

No I didn't. I removed a Rotel rsp1068 and put the Sc07 in it's place. I completely rewired the system in full HDMI. The only analog signal I have going to the Sc07 now is a Wii. No digital or anything. All 4 HDMI inputs are used.
My Rotel RMB1095 is up for sale and I'm putting together a full Def Tech Mythos system which is 8 ohms. I do plan on using the internal amps then. I may give the system a shot with the Dynaudio's but I don't have any faith.
They suck the life out of some amps so chances the ICE amps hold up is thin.

Now if I was able to purchase the Sc09, I would try in a heart beat. Not to mention I have Installed a few Sc09's and one powered a full 7.1 home theater package and I ran it reference levels for a good part of Transformers. It didn't even get hot, just warm.

Dan

I'd give it a try before you trade the Dynaudios, just for fun. You might be surprised or you might not. From the UAV review, "This graph shows that the SC-05's left channel, from Multi input to speaker output with two channels driving 8-ohm loads continuously at 1 kHz, reaches 0.1% distortion at 168.1 watts and 1% distortion at 197.2 watts. Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches 0.1% distortion at 249.6 watts and 1% distortion at 338.4 watts."

Dennis H
post #5930 of 17105 Old 03-12-2009, 08:37 PM

From what I have read earlier in this forum there is a bi-amp mode this/these (sc-05/sc-07) receiver is capable of with the sacrifice of the surround rear speaker outs to bi-amp the fronts. My Room Is 25 feet long and 19 ft wide. The sc-07 will be my fifth pioneer a/v receiver and my first elite purchase. Is it possible I could benefit from the bi-amp mode/setup with the e100's? Or keep the 7.1 option open with my config.
----------------------------------------
|FL C FR |
| |
|SW |
| |
| |
|SRL->COUCH <-SRR |
____SRBL_SRBR_______________|

We sit in the back of the 19ft dir. with the projected image on the wall opposite. Floor is carpet. I have always put my sub near my fish tank as I have always felt the weight of the tank helps the bass hit harder. So there is a fish tank in the enviorment as well as a dinner table on the right side. I am using JBL E-100's as my front/mains. JBL Northridge series ND310II for my surrounds and JBL N26II for my surround back speakers. I would sacrifice the n26II's for better sounding/ more envolving fronts as I feel most of the blue rays are still lossless 5.1 in majority. Some are released in DTS-HD 7.1 and DD-True-HD 7.1 but most are still just a 5.1 format. Does anyone have any experience with these new ICE amps hooked up in the Bi-amped mode? Is this pioneer's first incarnation of a bi-amp one-peice a/v receiver?

I am upgrading from a my beloved Pioneer vsx-1012-k receiver when my new sc-07 arrives. I have been reading like a monster in preparation for this purchase. I love the sound I have had with the existing setup and am excited with the receiver purchase to say the least. Just trying to max any benefit this new receiver is capable of. Thanks for any input out there.

ps.... the flac format... what software can I get that is hopefully cheap(free?) that would allow me to archive/play my collection of cd's on my pc laptop running vista? again thanks
post #5931 of 17105 Old 03-13-2009, 04:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnTony View Post

2. I tried to get the FM tuner to tune but it won't respond to the Tune Up/Down on the remote. Am I missing something? I tried to hold the Tuner button down at the same time as the Tune Up/Down buttons, but that didn't work either.

The switch in the middle of the remote needs to be set to "Source" to control the tuner functions. It's really stupid that the manual does not mention it explicitely.

Dan.
post #5932 of 17105 Old 03-13-2009, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was watching the Beatle's Anthology (documentary) DVD set. I've seen/heard this many times before. But, never played it with my new gear. This is recorded in both DD and DTS. Even though their heyday was a bit before my time, I am a huge fan.

I can say that even though much of this music was recorded 40+ years ago, it never sounded better.

That got me to thinking about a few who've reported that everything sounded "flat" when they listened to the SC. I also seem to remember a couple of people in this thread that they experienced the same thing until they turned DNR OFF (PAGE 96 of the Manual). DNR is used when there's lots of background noise in a source (like hiss from tape). This would probably be useful for those who are still using VHS tapes. But, it really has no use for CDs, DVDs or BDs.

DNR limits certain frequencies that induce unwanted noise. And in turn, limits the sound at those frequencies. That would indeed cause a "flat" sound some have observed.

Just something to check on as you go through set up.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #5933 of 17105 Old 03-13-2009, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's my sub.. excuse the wires, was running rew last night..

VFT3-MK3 Rosenut

No, I don't normally have my surround speakers on the sub..

Wife's into fru-fru crap, so she wanted me to paint the stands....
just finished painting them and waiting for the clearcoat to dry

(Click photo for larger image)

They were originally 36" SP200 Bello all black metal stands:
http://www.racksandstands.com/Bello-SP-200-BB0022.html
What can I say? If it makes her happy and she lets me play with my toys

CHP.....beautiful sub. Also some very nice paint work you did.

I see you have your Harmony remote charging stand sitting there. Nice looking watch, too. What is it?

And yes, I looked very carefully for fingerprints (I noticed a slight smudge on your watch).

post #5934 of 17105 Old 03-13-2009, 06:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970FordTruck View Post

Is it possible I could benefit from the bi-amp mode/setup with the e100's?

no.

but since you seem all hot to try it, go for it.

- chris

post #5935 of 17105 Old 03-13-2009, 06:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

y'know charles, i kinda like that "fish themed" paint job... good job... must have taken some time and patience to do that...

info_dan... yes, it sure would make life a lot easier if they were more explicit on that little switch...

- chris

post #5936 of 17105 Old 03-13-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:

welcome aboard captain!

1) the cable company is blowing air up your behind... yes, the audio is carried over the hdmi cable... have you gone into the audio menu of your cable box and checked to see where the audio is pointed to? most of them have an option that you need to set. there may also be an option that needs to be set to activate the hdmi output for video as well. that being said, hdmi and cable boxes sometimes don't play nice together. if you cannot get hdmi to work, run component cables and a spdif cable from the cable box to the sc-05.

2) trying to remember, since i never used the factory remote, but i know there's a switch on it that you need to have in the "correct" position for various functions to work. charles will remember.

I was told the same thing by my cable company (TW) found out on my own they didn't know what they were talking about.

I no longer use HDMI from my cable box. Too much digital noise when channels were changed from one resolution to another. (1080 to 720, etc.) I now run component for video and an optical for audio. Much cleaner transition. Although it does transition rather slowly, but no biggie.

Of course, I have HDMI for the blu-ray.
post #5937 of 17105 Old 03-13-2009, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueste View Post

I was told the same thing by my cable company (TW) found out on my own they didn't know what they were talking about.

I no longer use HDMI from my cable box. Too much digital noise when channels were changed from one resolution to another. (1080 to 720, etc.) I now run component for video and an optical for audio. Much cleaner transition. Although it does transition rather slowly, but no biggie.

Of course, I have HDMI for the blu-ray.

Blue....just curious. I've got TW, too. Do you have the SA8300 STB?

I've got mine connected via HDMI. I know for awhile, I was getting noise when resolutions changed (720P-1080I, for example). I was also getting some pixelation and audio dropouts on occasion.

I called TW. They sent out two very good techs. They ended up rerunning some cable underground. And, they added a signal booster, also outside.

End result....problems solved.

Might be worth a shot to give their support a jungle and have them come out.

post #5938 of 17105 Old 03-13-2009, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

1970FordTruck;

I bi-amp my B&W speakers... but only because I haven't put SB in my system yet and wanted to try bi-amping and was curious.

There may be a subtle difference, but I can't honestly say there really is, it's definitely not a day and night difference... These are good solid powerful amps so I can't imagine it would be more than marginal differences..
YMMV, but I would concur with ccotenj
Quote:

those benefits are probably marginal unless you have some type of esoteric speaker setup...

But if you are curious, and you have the extra cable, I say go for it!
One of the great things about these SCs are all the options and flexibility to try things you couldn't before!

And you may even find you do like it.. and that, in the long run is what matters.
If you do try it, please let us know what you think

post #5939 of 17105 Old 03-13-2009, 08:26 AM

Interesting that this thread has so many knowledgeble people on the SC-05/SC-07. A few questions. I am looking to purchase a Pioneer SC-05 but an article on CNET states " avoid receivers that offer only HDMI video passthrough, which means that the audio soundtrack requires a separate cable" so #1. How does the SC-05/SC-07 process the audio. #2. Connecting via HDMI does a dvd 480p not upscale to 1080p to the monitor. #3. Does a TV signal from a HD HR21 at 1080i go to the monitor at 1080i. I wait your answers with intrepidation.
post #5940 of 17105 Old 03-13-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basheer View Post

Hi s-one,

Did you ever find a solution to your problem?

I have the same issue with my SC-07. Via a networked PC, when I try to play a FLAC I get "Server Error", but I can play the same file with no problems via USB......

Thanks,
Basheer

Sorry it took a while to reply, I just realized the post.

No I never got FLAC to work through a PC (WMP 11) and the HMG. I ended buying a 1TB NAS so my PC wouldn't be on 24/7. When I did that, the HMG played my FLAC files fine... until I reached 2000 tracks/folders limit. Once I hit that the FLAC tracks that used to play through the HMG no longer played. The HMG is rubbish and is only good for Internet Radio streams IMO. The navigation is horrid especially if you are trying to get from Artist A to Artist Z. Right now, I'm looking at going with a SONOS system. Better Nav, easier for the Wife to find Artists, Songs etc. Best of luck Basheer!

s-one
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page