Official Pioneer SC-05 and SC-07 Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 17116 Old 08-19-2008, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Crossroad, I have a Klipsch setup, I will post my thoughts as soon as I get my SC-07 and 05fd blu-ray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 17116 Old 08-19-2008, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkjr View Post

Did Internet radio require any subscription service etc.? How do you navigate around the web? Can you connect a keyboard to the SC-07 or would that be a waste of money? I am also thinking of hooking up XM to my SC-07 (when I get it, impatiently waiting!). Thanks

No subscriptions. I think only the Sirius and XM radio is subscription, neither of which I have...
Here are a few of pictures of the HGM screen.
Picture 1:
Shows the HMG screen where you select music or server connections and setup for network.
Picture 2
Shows all the ways to sort through the internet radio options
This is a pain... you have to scroll though many listings.. haven't found a "page down" function anywhere..
Picture 3
Nueral Options. Much less choices = easy to move around the screen. Music is much clearer.

This shows Nueral radio playing 128 kbps.

Navigation is with the remote, basically scrolling down and selecting. Can't see where a keyboard would add anything to the experience, ajkjr.
One thng that caused me a bit of frustration... When I first selected HMG, I could not access the menus.. I thought the darn thing had frozen... turns out you need to select "source" on the remote..

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
post #33 of 17116 Old 08-19-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonbek777 View Post

Crossroad, I have a Klipsch setup, I will post my thoughts as soon as I get my SC-07 and 05fd blu-ray.

Vonbek777, I will be very interested to hear your impressions. I am also considering getting the SC 07 and the 05fd. Looks like you have great taste in equipment What Klipsch speakers are you running?
post #34 of 17116 Old 08-19-2008, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2JSTS View Post

Congrats CHP_VR, I am jealous!

Very interested to hear any input you might have on both the anti jitter cd playback with your 51-07 combo. Also, any input you can give on the high speed(color) HDMI features of the 51 and the 110.
You have the combination of equiptment that can answer a lot of questions for us out here. I'm still torn between Denon-Onkyo-Pioneer. If the anti jitter thing has ANY merit, that would be a huge tilt for me towards the 05 or 07 as I have an BDP-05 on order.

Thank you JS2JSTS. So many new stuff to try! Sorry, haven't tried CDs yet. I really hoping someone with more "audiophile" knowledge then me gets theirs soon and posts their experiences. I've posted most of my experiences with the BDP-51FD on the blu-ray player thread.. all I can say is it leaves me speachless. (BTW, I do envy your getting the BDP-05FD, another case of "I just couldn't wait")
I'm running Cat2 HDMI cable (monoprice) from the TV to the SC-07 and from the BDP-51FD (factory fw 1.0) player to the SC-07.. Hi-speed transmission, source direct, deep color (4:4:4) Everything seems matched to work together.. see pictures here
Plasma output
Blu-ray setup

post #35 of 17116 Old 08-19-2008, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedege View Post

Thanks, thats great to hear. Also, I just noticed you're in NB, cool Im in OC too(Yorba Linda) and I work down your way(broadcom). Maybe if I have setup problems when I get mine, I can swing by and buy you a beer to check out your setup!

-Mike

No problem Mike

post #36 of 17116 Old 08-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I currently have a Elite 94 receiver. Since I just bought it less than 2 months ago my dealer has agreed to take it back and sell me a 07 or 05.

Coming from you owners what is your impression of these things? And some of you might know if they are bigger than the 94? Where can I find some specs on 94, 05, and 07? I'd like to compare the 3 but haven't been able to find anything.
post #37 of 17116 Old 08-19-2008, 12:21 PM

Crossroad, I am in the midst of a Klipsch upgrade that will not be finished until December probably. I am going from my current 5.1 setup (4 RF-35s, RC-35, and RW-12) to a new 7.1 setup. I have recently purchased a RC-64 and a pair of RB-81s for the 7.1 setup. I am waiting on a pair of RF-83s, a RT-12D sub, and a pair of RS-62s for surrounds. The RC-64 is a great center, much better than my RC-35 or anything else I have currently. I like the 81s and I think they will be great for my surround backs as well. Tried using them as my fronts with the RC-64, but they didn't quite have enough punch for me, so I went back to the 35s for now.
post #38 of 17116 Old 08-19-2008, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd1010 View Post

I currently have a Elite 94 receiver. Since I just bought it less than 2 months ago my dealer has agreed to take it back and sell me a 07 or 05.

Coming from you owners what is your impression of these things? And some of you might know if they are bigger than the 94? Where can I find some specs on 94, 05, and 07? I'd like to compare the 3 but haven't been able to find anything.

Manual and spec for the VSX94: http://pioneerusa.com/PUSA/Products/...TXH.Kuro?tab=D
Brochure specs:The SC-07 and SC-05
Manuals SC-05 and SC-07

post #39 of 17116 Old 08-19-2008, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

You only get those because you have a Pioneer Plasma right? They're not actually in the HDMI video output from the receiver.

Not sure Stereodude, I only have the one plasma, however, it's my understanding the only criteria for the OSD function is HDMI control, so your tv would have to be CEC compliant.. Veralink, sonylink, etc.. You would need this to sychronize. Hopefully someone else will be able to verify this using a different tv.
I do know it seems to work very well. I can control functions on the SC-07 and my blu-ray with my Satdish remote.
SR or SR+ it would definitely be Pioneer only equipment.

post #40 of 17116 Old 08-19-2008, 01:23 PM

Nice taste in animated TV, CHP_VR! Go Team Venture!
post #41 of 17116 Old 08-19-2008, 01:49 PM

You are lucky that dealer will do that. I have written down these dimensions for the SC-07: W 16.54", H 7.87", D 18.09". 40 lbs., 3 oz. Not sure if I got those from Pioneer site or Amazon or just where, but down near bottom of spec sheet.

I too really want to hear if that Burr-Brown significantly enhances CDs, as Pio. claims. One poster said audio-upscaling DACs have been around for 10 years and he has swamp land in Florida to sell me if I expect big things there. My advice on audio, try some AIX DVD-As if you have a DVD-A player. "Brand New Opry" disk is my favorite out of the 30 AIX I own. www.aixrecords.com.

I am all hot for the 07 IF it is not full of bugs requiring a lot of firmware upgrades. The alternative could be the Denon 4308CI, list of $2699, and out for a year now. Maybe Pio is catching up with that with the 07, or maybe it has things the Denon does not. Love to hear a comparison. Wish audioholics would do a shootout. I am indifferent to the $500 difference in list price on something I'll have 10 years. Lesson: if you'll have it a long time, stretch and buy the best you can afford. Not THE BEST, the best you can afford. Learned that trick from a colleague up there in the Executive Office of GMAC in New York.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd1010 View Post

post #42 of 17116 Old 08-19-2008, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

Not sure Stereodude, I only have the one plasma, however, it's my understanding the only criteria for the OSD function is HDMI control, so your tv would have to be CEC compliant.. Veralink, sonylink, etc.. You would need this to sychronize. Hopefully someone else will be able to verify this using a different tv.
I do know it seems to work very well. I can control functions on the SC-07 and my blu-ray with my Satdish remote.
SR or SR+ it would definitely be Pioneer only equipment.

I thought it was SR / SR+ giving the OSD with the Pioneer Plasma.

The manual on page 71 says:
Quote:

Using the SR+ mode with a Pioneer flat panel TV

When connected using an SR+ cable, a number of features become available to make using this receiver with your Pioneer flat panel TV even easier. These features include:
  • On-screen displays when making receiver settings, such as speaker setup, MCACC setup, and so on.
  • On-screen volume display.
  • On-screen display of listening mode.
  • Automatic video input switching on the flat panel TV.
  • Automatic volume muting on the flat panel TV.
See also SR+ Setup for Pioneer flat panel TVs on page 95 for more on setting up the receiver.

post #43 of 17116 Old 08-19-2008, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Once Vonbek777, Stereodude, NismoZ and the others get their SC-05 and SC-07s in, I'm sure we'll get some super in-depth reports on the audio quality. All I can say is I love it! But I'm by no means an audiophile, I just like what I like.. I found a lot of information on the SC-09 threads regarding the ice-amps, some of those guys are fanatics and know what they are talking about.

post #44 of 17116 Old 08-19-2008, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

I thought it was SR / SR+ giving the OSD with the Pioneer Plasma.

The manual on page 71 says:

I don't use SR or SR+, I'm using strictly HDMI.

post #45 of 17116 Old 08-19-2008, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:

I don't use SR or SR+, I'm using strictly HDMI.

Oh... I thought I read something about SR and SR+ over HDMI, but I couldn't find it in the manual.
post #46 of 17116 Old 08-19-2008, 02:41 PM

I think it was a bad design choice to put the iPod usb connector on the front panel instead of the rear. Who would want to look at having the front panel down and a wire connecting to a port on it all the time?
post #47 of 17116 Old 08-19-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:

Crossroad, I am in the midst of a Klipsch upgrade that will not be finished until December probably. I am going from my current 5.1 setup (4 RF-35s, RC-35, and RW-12) to a new 7.1 setup. I have recently purchased a RC-64 and a pair of RB-81s for the 7.1 setup. I am waiting on a pair of RF-83s, a RT-12D sub, and a pair of RS-62s for surrounds. The RC-64 is a great center, much better than my RC-35 or anything else I have currently. I like the 81s and I think they will be great for my surround backs as well. Tried using them as my fronts with the RC-64, but they didn't quite have enough punch for me, so I went back to the 35s for now.

Once again it sounds like we have similar taste in equipment. I had the RF 35s as my mains with an RC 35 center and RF 25s as my rears. I am moving my RF 35s to the rear and replacing them with RF 83s and an RC 64 center. I think you will indeed have an excellent system once you finish, but I may be a bit biased. What receiver are you currently using? Are you using a separate amp or using the receiver to power your equipment? Do you plan to use the SC 07 to power your speakers?
post #48 of 17116 Old 08-19-2008, 03:25 PM

I would also like to know if the SC 07 has problems with impedence dips like the VSX 94 and other Pioneer receivers seem to have.
post #49 of 17116 Old 08-19-2008, 03:29 PM

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I would also like to know how you would connect an iPod via usb to the SC 07. Does the receiver come with a wire to connect it? What is this wire?

Edit: Is it the wire you use to connect the iPod to you computer to synch with iTunes? And can you control the iPod with the receiver's remote like you can on the VSX 94?
post #50 of 17116 Old 08-19-2008, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRoad View Post

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I would also like to know how you would connect an iPod via usb to the SC 07. Does the receiver come with a wire to connect it? What is this wire?

Edit: Is it the wire you use to connect the iPod to you computer to synch with iTunes? And can you control the iPod with the receiver's remote like you can on the VSX 94?

The USB connector for the iPod is not included, CrossRoad. But it is controlled from the HGM screen according to the manual. I would imagine it would interface pretty much like attaching any USB flash drive. I'm no help here, but on page 74 and page 78 of the manual it explains it.
I think this is the same for SC-01 and 03 and VSX1018.

post #51 of 17116 Old 08-19-2008, 04:40 PM

Thanks for the link, that does answer part of my question. I assume that you connect it with the wire you use to connect to a computer for synching with iTunes. Glad to see you can still control it with the receiver's remote. The SC 07 just went back up a notch in my book. I thought that option was lost!
post #52 of 17116 Old 08-19-2008, 04:48 PM

Crossroad I am currently using a Kenwood VR-6070 receiver as an amp. I was letting my XA2 (before I sold it) and now my Oppo 983 do the processing and leaving the Kenwood in the equivalent of a source direct mode I guess. The Oppo 983 is surprisingly good with music and movies in this regard, and the Kenwood is powering my speakers just fine, though I suspect I am in for a major upgrade in sound when I get the SC-07.
post #53 of 17116 Old 08-19-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteD View Post

I think it was a bad design choice to put the iPod usb connector on the front panel instead of the rear. Who would want to look at having the front panel down and a wire connecting to a port on it all the time?

The only reasons I can think of for them doing this are 1) they consider an iPod to be a pretty mobile device (as most people do) that people will be taking back and forth between their cars, home, and jogging etc. 2) the wire that comes with the iPod is what is used to connect it to the receiver (I am speculating that this is the wire used) and it is too short to run from the back of the receiver and is needed to be mobile as well since people will need it to connect to their computer for updating the firmware and synching the iPod with iTunes.
post #54 of 17116 Old 08-19-2008, 05:09 PM

Thanks for the info and the pics. Now to go find one of these things!
post #55 of 17116 Old 08-19-2008, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you JS2JSTS. So many new stuff to try! Sorry, haven't tried CDs yet. I really hoping someone with more "audiophile" knowledge then me gets theirs soon and posts their experiences. I've posted most of my experiences with the BDP-51FD on the blu-ray player thread.. all I can say is it leaves me speachless. (BTW, I do envy your getting the BDP-05FD, another case of "I just couldn't wait")
I'm running Cat2 HDMI cable (monoprice) from the TV to the SC-07 and from the BDP-51FD (factory fw 1.0) player to the SC-07.. Hi-speed transmission, source direct, deep color (4:4:4) Everything seems matched to work together.. see pictures here
Plasma output
Blu-ray setup

I tried to find a 51 over the last few weeks, it's getiing so close now, decided to just wait it out. My dealer said end of August since I put my deposit down and I guess he was right. Anyway, I'm jealous of you saving the 200 bucks, it's the smarter buy IMO. I just like the black rear panel on the 05 because my rack is in the middle of a large room, very visible from both sides. Is that the stupidest reason ever for getting the 05 over the 51?

Enjoy the SC-07 and I'll look for your deep color input over there in the 51-05 thread.

05-1.3H BJC-3808-1.3H BJC-5080
post #56 of 17116 Old 08-19-2008, 05:52 PM

Thanks for the reply CrossRoad. I'm just a little disappointed as I wanted to use my iPod as a music server since I have a spare.
post #57 of 17116 Old 08-19-2008, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2JSTS View Post

I tried to find a 51 over the last few weeks, it's getiing so close now, decided to just wait it out. My dealer said end of August since I put my deposit down and I guess he was right. Anyway, I'm jealous of you saving the 200 bucks, it's the smarter buy IMO. I just like the black rear panel on the 05 because my rack is in the middle of a large room, very visible from both sides. Is that the stupidest reason ever for getting the 05 over the 51?

Enjoy the SC-07 and I'll look for your deep color input over there in the 51-05 thread.

Well, truthfully, I'm thinking of swapping out the 51 for the 05.. just because it has gold contacts.. I live by the ocean, so it seems regular connectors corrode pretty quickly whereas I don't seem to have a problem with any of my equipment with gold connectors... plus, I agree, the black back panel looks sharp! and the amber lights would match my SC-07! Hope you get yours soon.

post #58 of 17116 Old 08-19-2008, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Some pics of the MCACC after "Advance MCACC" calibration

Speaker setup

Reverb screen (Center Speaker)

Standing Wave

Group Delay (All)

I'm hoping to install the pioneer software tonight if I have time. Objective: for communication with the rs232 port....anyone have experience with this?

post #59 of 17116 Old 08-19-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:

Crossroad I am currently using a Kenwood VR-6070 receiver as an amp. I was letting my XA2 (before I sold it) and now my Oppo 983 do the processing and leaving the Kenwood in the equivalent of a source direct mode I guess. The Oppo 983 is surprisingly good with music and movies in this regard, and the Kenwood is powering my speakers just fine, though I suspect I am in for a major upgrade in sound when I get the SC-07.

A major upgrade indeed. I am certain you are going to love the sound quality. I may be wrong, but I dont think the Kenwood would be able to power the RF 83s and the RC 64, at least not at reference volume levels. I have found that my VSX 94 goes into protect mode with them when played fullrange at 0 on the volume dial. I suspect it is from the impedence dip in them around 180hz. They drop to just under 3 ohms and the Pioneers don't seem to like it. When do you plan on having the 83s in your system? If it is soon, I would love to hear how they handle the low impedence of the big Klipschs.
post #60 of 17116 Old 08-19-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteD View Post

Thanks for the reply CrossRoad. I'm just a little disappointed as I wanted to use my iPod as a music server since I have a spare.

I understand. I would actually prefer it to be on the back as well, and for it to come with a longer wire, kind of like the one that came with my VSX 94.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page