post #631 of 17109 Old 09-16-2008, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

I now have a brand new SC-05 in it's box sitting on the floor in my great room. Hopefully I will get it swapped in place of my 84TXSi tonight.

Excellent! Congratulations, Stereodude
Unwrap that baby and get to work!

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 17109 Old 09-16-2008, 05:52 PM

Liked: 10
Is the sc-05 hdmi 1.3a?
post #633 of 17109 Old 09-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, log story very short; I have a tracking number from another retailer! Early next week!
post #634 of 17109 Old 09-16-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post

Well, log story very short; I have a tracking number from another retailer! Early next week!

That's great news. Its too bad things didn't work out with the powerbuy.
post #635 of 17109 Old 09-16-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowlf View Post

Is the sc-05 hdmi 1.3a?

Yes, as is the rest of the pioneer elite line. And the majority of new recievers on the market this year.
post #636 of 17109 Old 09-16-2008, 08:33 PM

Ok, so I wanted to get a good grasp on the SC-05 before posting, but thought I would throw out a few things. Received it last Thursday, couldn't set it up until Friday, then left overs of hurricane Ike blew through Ohio on Sunday and was without power until Tuesday, 9/16, night. Bummer, as I was planning on really running this thing through it's paces on Sunday.

I'm coming from a 4 year old entry level Yamaha, so this is a significant step up. Therefore, I'm probably not going to be as critical as others. I have a PDP 5020, BDP-51 ( I guess Pioneer's marketing plan worked on me!) and a 5.1 Klipsch Synergy 1 set up. I was a little worried that I wouldn't notice the receiver difference with the speakers, but that was wrong! Although, I would still like to upgrade the speakers sometime soon.

CD quality is amazing utilizing the PQLS. Very detailed sound. In the past, I would listen to my CDs in 5.1 Dolby Digital-Music. However, as soon as the CD, Sinatra, played with PQLS I thought, "Wow, this sounds phenomenal!" Even watching Time Warner cable, the sound is significantly better, much "fuller" is the best way I could describe it. Could that be a product of the ICE amps? Of course the kicker is the HD audio with Blu-Ray- True HD and dts-MA is outstanding!

Another area of improvement for me has been in the sound with the center channel. I was never impressed with the sound I was getting from the center. I think it was a combination of an entry level speaker with an entry level receiver. The SC-05 has improved the sound from the center quite a bit.

A few of the little features that I like-
1. HDMI connections for everything. Yeah, HDMI Control may not be perfect, but very clean connections. From what it sounds like from others, it's equal or better to SR+.
2. the ability to do a pass through on sound to the 5020 speakers. Not so much for me as for my wife, we have a small child so it's nice to have the option to tone down when needed. Of course, there's always the Midnight feature, as well.
3. Seems to do a nice job of choosing the proper sound source ie. Dolby Digital, Stereo, etc.
4. Since I have all Pioneer now, I can just about use the receiver remote for everything. Although, I'm trying to figure out if I can control the cable channels. I was able to set the Scientific Atlanta box under DVR1, but need to dig a little deeper to see if I can also control the channels. I did see something about maybe having to turn off HDMI control to do this, but don't think that will be an option. Anyone have any success? It would be nice to avoid buying a Harmony 1.

I was kind of all over the board considering the 1018, VSX-03 and 94, and the SC-05. I ordered the SC-05 and immediately had "buyer's remorse" thinking that it was way more receiver than I needed, should have saved my money and gone with the 1018 since all I really needed was HDMI and dts-MA, etc. However, I went with the SC-05 because I was really intrigued by the ICE amps and PQLS. Once hearing the improvement in sound, I have no regrets. I'm sure the other receivers sound awesome, too and I did not A/B them, but I have been very pleased with my decision. I want to test the i-pod interface this weekend, as I have not been able to, yet. Hope to hear what others think once they get up and going. Thanks, Blue
post #637 of 17109 Old 09-16-2008, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^

Glad to hear you are enjoying it so far, do report when you get the iPod hooked up as my wife is really interested in this feature. Maybe my SC-05 will arrive tomorrow and I will be able to test it myself. Looks like Thursday for me tho.

Juan

My HT
post #638 of 17109 Old 09-16-2008, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 570
^^^^ Can I make a suggestion?

Please use the return key... it's very hard to read.
post #639 of 17109 Old 09-16-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

^^^^ Can I make a suggestion?

Please use the return key... it's very hard to read.

Yep, you're right. I thought about that as I was typing. It's just way past my bedtime out here and was trying to hurry. Should be better now. Thanks
post #640 of 17109 Old 09-16-2008, 11:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

WRX_Rocky: I'm pretty sure the HDMI control is CEC compliant...

Well so far, it does not appear to be working. I have about a year old Panasonic 58PZ700U plasma, and it is CEC, and worked just fine with my old Onkyo 805. But when I try to set it up with the SC-05 (with or without the HDMI control on), it never sees it. The Harmony still works with it well enough, but if I hold down the Harmony's volume button, it sort of zaps from 20 up to 35 in a flash. So to fine tune the volume now, I have to keep pressing one at a time. An inconveinience, but can live with it.
post #641 of 17109 Old 09-17-2008, 01:17 AM

Greetings everyone, I received a call from the shop that I ordered the Sc-07 from to let me know that they now have them in stock. I will be picking mine up on Thursday afternoon and will be heading straight home to set it up.
post #642 of 17109 Old 09-17-2008, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I just read the manual for the 05/07. I have a few questions. In order to achieve the best possible audio from my Panasonic BD30 and Tosh XA2, should HDMI audio be set to Bitstream or PCM? Are you guys running all speakers set to small in the THX speaker setting? Sorry for asking any dumb questions, I just want to make sure I get all the info I need so I can go straight to installation once I get off this trip. Thanks

Click the link to see pics of my home theater

http://s450.photobucket.com/albums/q...oom/?start=all
post #643 of 17109 Old 09-17-2008, 06:01 AM

I am curious for owner of Denon 4308 why you switched to the SC-07 Pioneer? Right now I am between the 2 as well and think I am leaning to the Denon.

The reason is because -

1. I like the ease of use and setup of the high-end Denon models and the GUI compared to the SC-07. Also the volume reading is output/read better from what I can tell on the Denon VS the Pioneer SC-07?

2. I like the idea of the firmware being fully user upgradeable over Ethernet due to my prior experience of having to send in for updates. Eventually, it will be needed over the course of a year as ANY manufacture is always fixing/improving the features/software. So this is IMPORTANT to me at least.

3. I like the EQ of the Denon over the SC-07.

4. Power cord is built-in the SC-07 VS separate for using a longer length or better cord if needed. Another BIG deal to me at least.

5. I can live without THX modes as I have heard processors/receivers both with and without it. Typically it comes down to the quality of the receiver and how high-end it is. Just not a big enough deal for me personally to be a deal breaker so it's a tie here.

So, given the above, I am still looking at the Denon models. But I would really like to know what think that have used both units and compared them.
post #644 of 17109 Old 09-17-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuruJeff View Post

I am curious for owner of Denon 4308 why you switched to the SC-07 Pioneer? Right now I am between the 2 as well and think I am leaning to the Denon.

The reason is because -

1. I like the ease of use and setup of the high-end Denon models and the GUI compared to the SC-07. Also the volume reading is output/read better from what I can tell on the Denon VS the Pioneer SC-07?

2. I like the idea of the firmware being fully user upgradeable over Ethernet due to my prior experience of having to send in for updates. Eventually, it will be needed over the course of a year as ANY manufacture is always fixing/improving the features/software. So this is IMPORTANT to me at least.

4. Power cord is built-in the SC-07 VS separate for using a longer length or better cord if needed. Another BIG deal to me at least.

5. I can live without THX modes as I have heard processors/receivers both with and without it. Typically it comes down to the quality of the receiver and how high-end it is. Just not a big enough deal for me personally to be a deal breaker so it's a tie here.

So, given the above, I am still looking at the Denon models. But I would really like to know what think that have used both units and compared them.

All of the reasons above are what makes the 4308 a great receiver and I loved those features. I bought my 4308 before I knew about the SC-07 so I didn't even consider the SC-07 at the time. With the 4308 I knew eventually I would get an external amp even though most people probably would be happy with the power of the 4308 (which really puts out 111 watts x 7). When I heard about the new Pio's (about 2 months after most had heard of them) I heard about the ICE amps in the new Pio's and based on some of the reviews of teh SC-09, I had to try it them out to see if it made a difference with my speakers. The minute I hooked up the SC-07 I was thrilled with the sound. It woke my speakers up. I am not that picky and don't know nearly as much as most here but I know I made the right choice after listening to the SC-07. I use my receiver 100% for movies and I would have thought it wouldn't have made a difference but it did. Was it the power that made the difference, I don't know. All I know is I am keeping this receiver. See Filmmixer's posts in the SC-09 thread, he had similar comments when comparing the SC-09 to the 5308. If the 5308 wasn't so expensive, I probably would have gone with that.
post #645 of 17109 Old 09-17-2008, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post

Congratulations, NismoZ! WOW.. That's great! Finally! Hope Vonbek777 and the others fare as well.

post #646 of 17109 Old 09-17-2008, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Blueste;
Excellent review, thank you! Sound's like you are enjoying it.

post #647 of 17109 Old 09-17-2008, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post

I just read the manual for the 05/07. I have a few questions. In order to achieve the best possible audio from my Panasonic BD30 and Tosh XA2, should HDMI audio be set to Bitstream or PCM? Are you guys running all speakers set to small in the THX speaker setting? Sorry for asking any dumb questions, I just want to make sure I get all the info I need so I can go straight to installation once I get off this trip. Thanks

You can set them to bitstream, with the BD30 you also need to set Secondary Audio to "Off." This will allow the SC to decode the stream.

You will lose PIP commentary if you do this, but can change it in the player if you want to hear that.

Do the MCACC auto setup and see what it sets your speakers to... even though most speakers go into the 20's or 30's, letting the sub handle the extreme low end is the best idea.

BTW.. They aren't dumb questions...
post #648 of 17109 Old 09-17-2008, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuruJeff View Post

The reason is because -

My SC07 arrives tomorrow... I've had a 4308 and 5308 in my system in the last 5 months.

Based on my experiences with the SC09 (had one of those too ) I expect the SC07 to best the 4308 in sound quality easily...

I found the MCACC to be superior to the Audyssey in my room, which is challenged to say the least... I attribute it to the Full Band Phase control, and the bass was way better with the SC09.

I agree about the firmware updates, and will also miss the GUI, HD radio, etc... of the 4308. But in the end, it's what is coming out of the speakers that matters to me, and I expect not to be disappointed.
post #649 of 17109 Old 09-17-2008, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Does the SC-05 have support for Rhapsody through the ethernet port?
post #650 of 17109 Old 09-17-2008, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCCERrebel5 View Post

Does the SC-05 have support for Rhapsody through the ethernet port?

I have read this whole thread and I don't remember any mention of this, the manual also does not mention anything about it. I would bet that it does not.

Juan

My HT
post #651 of 17109 Old 09-17-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

Excellent! Congratulations, Stereodude
Unwrap that baby and get to work!

I got to work and got it swapped in place of the 84TXSi. I then wasted about an hour to get my Harmony 880 set up to work with it. I probably should have left it alone since the settings from the 84TXSi would have likely worked perfectly with it. Unfortunately by the time I was done I didn't have any time to listen to it. I watched about 15 minutes of the Tonight Show, and that was it.

I wasn't very excited about the EQ adjustments it made to my speakers, so I flattened them all out. I will use my ETF measurement setup to dial the EQ in myself later.

Tonight's not looking good for a good listening to it either since I have a work dinner

PS: The fan in the SC-05 wasn't as quiet as I would have expected. It is audible near the unit with nothing playing.
post #652 of 17109 Old 09-17-2008, 10:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I think I'm one of the few Canadians to actually have one of these things. I picked up an SC-07 a week ago. It went together quite nicely with my BDP-05FD and Elite Pro-FPJ1 projector.

My speaker system consists of a 7.1 Definitive setup. Mythos ST loudspeakers, Mythos Ten centre channel, 2 BPVX surrounds and 2 UIW RSSII in ceiling rear surrounds. This is supplemented by 2 Hsu ULS-15 subwoofers.

My theater room is not yet complete. Sound treatment and area carpeting aren't in place yet, nor do I have all the furniture. Sonically, it's far from ideal at the moment. I've had the SC-07 for about a week, the Denon 3808 prior to this to evaluate.

I'm extremely pleased with the 07. It is, by far, the best sounding receiver I've ever owned. I've never owned a class D before (subwoofers aside), so I really wasn't certain what to expect. It produces such a warm, full sound compared to the Denon (which I spent a lot of time calibrating and adjusting). I have no idea if it has anything to do with PQLS when coupled with the elite BD player, but whatever it is, the combination has breathed new life into my CD collection.

The Denon certainly has more bells and whistles. This has been pointed out elsewhere in this thread. To a large extent, it depends on what's important to you, but for me none of the differences amounted to selling points. I was mainly interested in sound quality.

Quote:

I found the MCACC to be superior to the Audyssey in my room, which is challenged to say the least... I attribute it to the Full Band Phase control, and the bass was way better with the SC09.

Having spent a considerable amount of time with Audyssey while using the Denon, I definitely agree with this statement. With the Audyssey, I calibrated the receiver using 2, 3, 4 and six listening positions. Six always seemed to produce bizarre results for some reason, particularly with distorted speaker distance calculations. My best results came with a three position calibration. I really, really tried hard to make the Denon sound good, but I had written the situation off thinking that it was simply impossible to do until my room treatments were in place.

Then, along came the SC-07 with MCACC, a supposedly inferior system.

Wanting to get up and running quickly, I performed a single calibration from the main listening position. The speaker distances were accurate, but I had some doubts about the way it was doing the eq with the channel levels. I threw in a blu-ray with TrueHD to test it out.

This mini-review sounds like a bit of hyperbole, but I'm truly being honest. I was, quite frankly, astounded how the 07 opened up not only the front soundstage, but the surround field as well. Spatial resolution was incredible. The room is in terrible shape, treatment-wise, but it sounded incredible. Additionally, I had read on multiple occasions how the lossless tracks provided by blu-ray were supposed to be much more dynamic than their lossy DVD counterparts, but I'd never experienced this with the Denon. The 07 has made me go back and re-watch several of the movies that I've viewed recently just to experience the enhanced soundstage that the Pioneer has given me.

I've read that the Audyssey system is supposed to be the best room equalization tool on the market. For me, at least, that hasn't been my experience. Personal preferences will always play a role here, of course, given the subjectivity involved. But it my case, it's truly a no-brainer.

I haven't had any issues with the receiver, or the BDP-05 for that matter (which I've had for two weeks). I'll try to post some more thoughts as I gain more experience with the setup.
post #653 of 17109 Old 09-17-2008, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

My SC07 arrives tomorrow... I've had a 4308 and 5308 in my system in the last 5 months.

Based on my experiences with the SC09 (had one of those too ) I expect the SC07 to best the 4308 in sound quality easily...

Cool, FilmMixer! I think you'll be the only one so far to have both the SC09 and the SC07 in your system. I'll be interested to see how the SC07 compares to the flagship.

Dennis H
post #654 of 17109 Old 09-17-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catapult View Post

Cool, FilmMixer! I think you'll be the only one so far to have both the SC09 and the SC07 in your system. I'll be interested to see how the SC07 compares to the flagship.

He's also probably the only one to go through that many receivers in a years timeframe. Thankfully he is able to give us impressions of each receiver, both pros, cons and comparisons, before we make a purchase.
post #655 of 17109 Old 09-17-2008, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catapult View Post

+1. Looking forward to your impressions, FilmMixer

Deke6

Thank you for your review and the comparision, (particularly with the Audyssey vs MCACC). Sounds like you are having fun with it.
The BDP-05/51FD and the SC-07/05 are a definite match together with CDs.

post #656 of 17109 Old 09-17-2008, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

PS: The fan in the SC-05 wasn't as quiet as I would have expected. It is audible near the unit with nothing playing.

Interesting, I can't hear mine at all.... but that may be cause the HR-21 is louder....
Keep us up to date!

post #657 of 17109 Old 09-17-2008, 12:25 PM

Deke6,

I'm also building a system using the Definitive Technology mythos ST towers but I haven't added a sub yet. How did the SC-07 handle the built in amps and did you use the lfe for the ST's?

If anyone else has similar powered towers I would like to know how you set up these receivers?

rowlf
post #658 of 17109 Old 09-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post

Appreciate the comment bro. Im looking forward to getting this beast and installation when I get back off business in the next 3 weeks. It will be replacing my Sony 7100ES which I will be moving into my living room setup. Replaced the Sony due to it not being able to pass 1080p which sucked. I cant wait to get the PIO paired up with my JVC HD1 and the rest of my components. Should be awesome.

I also have a Sony DA7100ES (and JVC HD1 for that matter).

I don't have problem with 1080p, but I'm still selling the Sony this week, and would be very interested to hear how you get on with the Pioneer.

Video aside, there should be some interesting similarities.

Nick
post #659 of 17109 Old 09-17-2008, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post

Yes, you're correct on the HDMI.

I had the HDMI cable from the SA8300 DVR connected directly to the Pio 151FD but changed it to the SC-07 HDMI input and it does function OK with the receiver 'off.'

I'd like to retain this connection but there were a couple of issues that emerged after the change; this affected the HiDef channels only:

1. Gray Vertical and/or Horizontal bars appear on all screen size selections except 'Zoom' and

2. Even though 'Auto-Size' is selected in the set-up menu it does not work nor does it display on the screen when cycling through the 'Screen Size' button on the TV remote.-G

This is very discerning. I also have a Pio 151fd and want to get the sc-07, are you saying if I hook up my sat receiver and Blu-ray player via HDMI to the sc-07 and then HDMI to the 151fd, I'm going to get gray vertical and/or horizonatal bars?

Is this in the signal? Or is this because of wide screen movies and 4:3 video sources?

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #660 of 17109 Old 09-17-2008, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anyone having problems using 4 ohm speakers with the 05/07?

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page