Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alerion View Post

makes me miss the motorized volume knob on my old Yamaha

LOL, was thinking that the other day
My old VSX-906 had a motorized volume control.

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7052 of 17105 Old 04-08-2009, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

i stand corrected...

somehow, i missed that, with all the discussions about desired firmware updates, i don't remember reading about that... i am getting old...

Nah, you were busy putting fingerprints on your SC-05

Refresher re: HGM update:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post15636741

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post16121807

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post16105249

The update procedure pdf was courtesy of tsiju from the AVForums.
The update will work for Ipod Touch version 2.2.0 but not 2.2.1 so it's kinda worthless at this point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7053 of 17105 Old 04-08-2009, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmurph01 View Post

I am new here, but I just wanted to post that I went to Best Buy (Magnolia) and saw this for a great price and just had to get it. I am replacing an Onkyo 805 which there was something about that I just didn't like. So I am hoping I will like this better, which in reading you guys here there is no question. Thanks!

Congratulations, mtmurph01!
Welcome to the ICE Club.

Most of us have found the sound quality as a pretty good upgrade to our previous units.
Let us know what you think!

post #7054 of 17105 Old 04-08-2009, 07:59 AM

Liked: 10
Does anyone know where in Canada I can find an SC-05 for a good price?
I saw 2 on canuckaudiomart.com last week and was about 1-2 days late to jump on each.

One was for ~1200 and the other went for ~1500. Heck, on Videogon.com I see one going for 899.99 U.S?! I'd jump on that too if it shipped to Canada

Cheers,

vizuäl
post #7055 of 17105 Old 04-08-2009, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Interesting information I received from ssak in the SC-09 forum I thought I should share.

Remember the Hi-Fi review in UK (reminder, they didn't seem to like the SC-LX81 (SC-07), and their review didn't seem to reflex our experiences)?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post15626444

Seems the unit they had was defective. Hoping ssak or welwynnick can provide us with more info....

Quote from ssak in the SC-09 forums:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssak View Post

Good listenings CHP_VR..

Don't worry about the absence of PQLS in HDMI. Jitter reduction works well in SUsano and I am still tryng to find differences with my DV-989AVi between I-link and HDMI.

And something about your old amp...

In April issue of Hi-Fi news, the reviewer refered to the test of SC-LX81 (in which SC-LX81 came last).

Well, it appears that the one SC-LX81 tested, was a "bad unit" and that the other unit provided to the reviewer (after the test) sounded totally different and much better

post #7056 of 17105 Old 04-08-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

Sunny44;
Congratulations!
Welcome to the ICE Club!
Be sure to let us know your impressions!

I'll try to answer, hopefully the experts will chip in with more precise information...

Pure Direct will provide "unprocessed" audio to your system (you get what was recorded) with MCACC OFF

Direct will provide "unprocessed" audio to your system (you get what was recorded) with MCACC ON

Yes, if set to "small" it will send low frequency audio at the crossover point you set to the subwoofer...
there are workarounds, exceptions (like plus) ,but this is the quick answer. Any more is for the experts to chime in..

Both.. after a few minutes and after a few hours of use.

As a new member of the "ICE club (and thanks for the great information in this thread!) I'd like to also try to understand the relationship between the various settings. I've run the auto-MCACC, change the speakers to small, and re-run so that part is clear.

What I'm having some trouble with (and I've read & re-read the manual as well as played with the settings) is how the various options interact with each other. For example I thought that setting AUTO/DIRECT to "Pure Direct" would do as described - play the source without any compensation. That seems to be the case but then using other options such as "THX", or "SURROUND" it does alter the sound and I didn't expect that.

What I'm trying grasp is how to understand which options override others, and which ones compliment others. I hope I'm explaing my question. If there is a "Sound options for dummies" section somewhere in the thread that I've missed please feel free to point me to it.

I'm having fun playing around and discovering all the options available, that's for sure.

If you're interested, here's a link to photos of how my room is setup - taken prior to removing stickers from the 07

Online Album

Thanks,
Bruce
post #7057 of 17105 Old 04-08-2009, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWG View Post

As a new member of the "ICE club (and thanks for the great information in this thread!) I'd like to also try to understand the relationship between the various settings. I've run the auto-MCACC, change the speakers to small, and re-run so that part is clear.

What I'm having some trouble with (and I've read & re-read the manual as well as played with the settings) is how the various options interact with each other. For example I thought that setting AUTO/DIRECT to "Pure Direct" would do as described - play the source without any compensation. That seems to be the case but then using other options such as "THX", or "SURROUND" it does alter the sound and I didn't expect that.

What I'm trying grasp is how to understand which options override others, and which ones compliment others. I hope I'm explaing my question. If there is a "Sound options for dummies" section somewhere in the thread that I've missed please feel free to point me to it.

I'm having fun playing around and discovering all the options available, that's for sure.

If you're interested, here's a link to photos of how my room is setup - taken prior to removing stickers from the 07

Online Album

Thanks,
Bruce

simply put... (and someone will fill out on this a bit)...

once you engage a sound processing option (thx, etc.), by definition, you are leaving "pure direct" mode... "pure direct" implies "what goes in, comes out"...

this is true of "direct", as well, except the avr applies various parts of the speaker setup processing...

see page 38 in the manual...

stickers!! oh noes!!!

i want a pinball machine too...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #7058 of 17105 Old 04-08-2009, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Interesting information I received from ssak in the SC-09 forum I thought I should share.

Remember the Hi-Fi review in UK (reminder, they didn't seem to like the SC-LX81 (SC-07), and their review didn't seem to reflex our experiences)?

Seems the unit they had was defective. Hoping ssak or welwynnick can provide us with more info....

Charles....did I miss it? Did you actually pull the trigger on an SC 09?

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #7059 of 17105 Old 04-08-2009, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

yes he did... you gotta check out the pic with the tassles...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #7060 of 17105 Old 04-08-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:

simply put... (and someone will fill out on this a bit)...

once you engage a sound processing option (thx, etc.), by definition, you are leaving "pure direct" mode... "pure direct" implies "what goes in, comes out"...

this is true of "direct", as well, except the avr applies various parts of the speaker setup processing...

see page 38 in the manual...

stickers!! oh noes!!!

i want a pinball machine too...

Does this mean that starting with PURE DIRECT, then engaging THX would give me THX processing with no MCACC input, and starting with DIRECT, then engaging THX would give me THX processing with MCACC corrections? That's what I am assuming. If so .... what is the function of the AUTO SURROUND setting?

Thank you for the input.....as far as the pinball machine goes, craigslist is your friend
post #7061 of 17105 Old 04-08-2009, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Does this mean that starting with PURE DIRECT, then engaging THX would give me THX processing with no MCACC input, and starting with DIRECT, then engaging THX would give me THX processing with MCACC corrections? That's what I am assuming. If so .... what is the function of the AUTO SURROUND setting?

Thank you for the input.....as far as the pinball machine goes, craigslist is your friend

if i understand the question correctly, the answer is "no"... engaging processing in the digital domain exits the "direct/pure direct" setting... once you apply post-processing to the signal, the "direct/pure direct" makes no sense any longer... it's possible i'm misunderstanding what you are getting at...

lol... yea, i know where to find them... there's even a guy relatively close by who does full refurbs and sells that at a reasonable price... i even have "wife approval" for one... but i don't have the room for one...

- chris

post #7062 of 17105 Old 04-08-2009, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

yeppers
pic and initial impression here (don't know how you missed it):
In fact, your input was one of my compelling reasons in deciding

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post16208331

But I'm still an official SC-07 member this week and probably next week as well.
Only part-time after that

here's my risque pics:
Quote:

yes he did... you gotta check out the pic with the tassles...

Quote:
Thanks Juan!
It really does look sexy.. My wife is gonna make me some tassles to put on the knobs, 'cause she thinks I'm playing with it too much

PS: Still trying to find a good come back for Juan's question re: where to put the dollar bills...

post #7063 of 17105 Old 04-08-2009, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Online Album

Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce,
Awesome setup! I bet you have fun there
Thanks for the pictures.

ehem.. (obligatory criticism follows):
hmm.. those stickers kinda look out of place though..
It breaks the flow, zen, feng shui etc..
Other than that, AWESOME, thanks for sharing.

post #7064 of 17105 Old 04-08-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:

if i understand the question correctly, the answer is "no"... engaging processing in the digital domain exits the "direct/pure direct" setting... once you apply post-processing to the signal, the "direct/pure direct" makes no sense any longer... it's possible i'm misunderstanding what you are getting at...

lol... yea, i know where to find them... there's even a guy relatively close by who does full refurbs and sells that at a reasonable price... i even have "wife approval" for one... but i don't have the room for one...

That helps - let me ask a slightly different question to see if I'm getting it.

If I press and engage "DIRECT", and then press and engage "THX (any setting)", will the sound be identical as if I start with "PURE DIRECT", and do the same? My initial assumption was the I would get THX with MCACC corrections in the first case and THX without MCACC in the second, but your answer implies to me I'm wrong.

I guess what I'm look for is the best method to ensure the MCACC corrections I've done for the room are in use, and then to be able to select an appropriate sound filter for the specific source (action film, musical DVD, etc.).

Again - thanks!

Bruce
post #7065 of 17105 Old 04-08-2009, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If I press and engage "DIRECT", and then press and engage "THX (any setting)", will the sound be identical as if I start with "PURE DIRECT", and do the same?

Yes. You defeat Direct and Pure Direct by applying THX audio processing (MCACC is applied as well, unless you turn it off)

For Blu-Ray and CDs , I prefer DIRECT (with MCACC on) that way I get the full audio the way it was meant to be heard.. (DDTrudHD, Stereo DTS-MA HD etc).
For anything else, it depends.. that's why there's so many options

Page 38:
DIRECT – Sources are heard according to the
settings made in the Surround Setup (speaker
setting, channel level, speaker distance, acoustic
calibration EQ, and X-curve), as well as with dual
mono, the input attenuator, and any sound delay and
hi-bit/hi-sampling (SC-05 only) settings. You will hear
sources according to the number of channels in the
signal.
PURE DIRECT – Analog and 2 channel PCM sources
are heard without any digital processing.1 No sound
is output from the Speaker B in this mode.

and Stream direct with different input signal formats
page 133..

post #7066 of 17105 Old 04-08-2009, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That helps - let me ask a slightly different question to see if I'm getting it.

If I press and engage "DIRECT", and then press and engage "THX (any setting)", will the sound be identical as if I start with "PURE DIRECT", and do the same? My initial assumption was the I would get THX with MCACC corrections in the first case and THX without MCACC in the second, but your answer implies to me I'm wrong.

I guess what I'm look for is the best method to ensure the MCACC corrections I've done for the room are in use, and then to be able to select an appropriate sound filter for the specific source (action film, musical DVD, etc.).

Again - thanks!

Bruce

bruce. yup. charles does a better job of explaining it than i.

as long as you have mcacc "on", it will be applied, regardless of any post-processing... now, post processing routines, by their very nature, are going to change what you hear, regardless of mcacc setting... isn't this fun?

i played endlessly with the post-processing settings on previous avr's... i guess i'm getting old, because i haven't exercised this one as much after the "new owner" mentality wore off... i basically set it to auto now, and forget it... i do force one of the dolby plii routines when i'm watching a tv station that only broadcasts in stereo...

- chris

post #7067 of 17105 Old 04-08-2009, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I use DIRECT also for everything....
post #7068 of 17105 Old 04-08-2009, 11:28 AM

This may be a little off-topic but I'm about to pull the trigger on a SC-07. It looks like Videogon has the best price- those of you who have purchased from there- is the Pioneer warranty still valid? Or do you have to purchase from an authorized dealer?
post #7069 of 17105 Old 04-08-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:

Bruce,
Awesome setup! I bet you have fun there
Thanks for the pictures.

ehem.. (obligatory criticism follows):
hmm.. those stickers kinda look out of place though..
It breaks the flow, zen, feng shui etc..
Other than that, AWESOME, thanks for sharing.

I knew I would take grief for that In my defense I was anxious to get things setup and start playing...

Bruce
post #7070 of 17105 Old 04-08-2009, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I knew I would take grief for that In my defense I was anxious to get things setup and start playing...

Bruce

it's a rite of passage...

at least you have your priorities in order...

- chris

post #7071 of 17105 Old 04-08-2009, 12:48 PM

It's official! My SC-05 arrived today at work. So, after spending the weekend with it , I'll be sending some pictures and my thoughts on the new arrival! Talk to ya next week!
post #7072 of 17105 Old 04-08-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:

Here's my take:
1. Denon & Pioneer will never have a fix on AVRs, especially on a low-end model. I've had both and experienced this. SC-05 also has rs232 port available.

Will never have a fix.. available? You mean they don't release firmware updates for these models?

Can the SC-05 have its firmware updated via the RS-232 port connected to a laptop?

Quote:

3. If you have a newer Pioneer TV, or maybe other brands, it already offers loudness control.

But, the audio is not coming through the TV at all? Coming from the cable box HDMI into the receiver...
post #7073 of 17105 Old 04-08-2009, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema34guy View Post

It's official! My SC-05 arrived today at work. So, after spending the weekend with it , I'll be sending some pictures and my thoughts on the new arrival! Talk to ya next week!

Awesome Cinema34guy!

Looking forward to your thoughts and pictures when you get your new baby unwrapped and setup!

Congratulations

post #7074 of 17105 Old 04-08-2009, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Good listenings CHP_VR..

Don't worry about the absence of PQLS in HDMI. Jitter reduction works well in SUsano and I am still tryng to find differences with my DV-989AVi between I-link and HDMI.

And something about your old amp...

In April issue of Hi-Fi news, the reviewer refered to the test of SC-LX81 (in which SC-LX81 came last).

Well, it appears that the one SC-LX81 tested, was a "bad unit" and that the other unit provided to the reviewer (after the test) sounded totally different and much better

Update:

(Courtesy of ssak) Thanks ssak:

Quote:

What Paul Miller replies in HiFi News .

Quote:

the missing words from the paragraph are :

"...testing and auditioning procedure."

post #7075 of 17105 Old 04-08-2009, 02:31 PM

Hi all, great forum, great info here. I'm about two days away from pulling the trigger on a SC-05. It really seems like a fantastic receiver for the price (I found it for 599 new).

My question is: How do you think the onboard Class D amplification will stack up against using an external amp, at least for the fronts? Specifically, I have an Adcom GFA 555 MK II powering a pair of Dahlquist 20's. This has been my traditional setup however I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this setup vs. using the SC-05 alone.

Thanks!
post #7076 of 17105 Old 04-08-2009, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

ripeart,
Welcome to the forums
You may want to check out the member's reviews linked on the first page.. there's a number of SC-05 and SC-07 owners that are either using amps or got rid of their amps because the ICE amps do deliver what they say they will. But extra power is extra power
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post14470673 That's an amazing price.

post #7077 of 17105 Old 04-08-2009, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
May issue of HT mag has review of the SC-07.
Overall they liked it and gave it a TOP PICK.
post #7078 of 17105 Old 04-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Hello-- I bought this yesterday and hooked it up right away. I just sold my Elite 72TXV to get this receiver, so it's not my first experience with one of the Pio Elite receivers.

I hooked up the speakers, hooked up some sources (PS3, HD-DVD, DVD via HDMI, and also an HD-DVR and Vudu via optical). I assigned all of the inputs in the menu. Things were good for a short while as I jumped from source to source. I had picture and sound as I expected. I then ran MCACC successfully and switched from source to source a few more times.

Then I was scrolling through the Vudu menus, and I realized that I didn't hear the feedback 'click' noise as I went from option to option on the Vudu screens. I then switched to a few other sources, and I had no sound at all. I'm getting picture, but no sound. I'm not sure what point the sound disappeared, but I know that it happened sometime after I ran the MCACC (I'm not saying that had anything to do with it--that was just the sequence of events).

I have checked the obvious things. I unplugged the receiver, waited 2 min, then re-plugged it. I checked the speaker on/off setting several times. I disconnected and reconnected the banana plugs for all 7 speakers (as well as the sub connection). I then did a factory default reset to see if some setting was off. Still nothing. I tried running MCACC again after the reset, and since there was no ouput from my speakers, I couldn't run the sequence. I unplugged the sources, and tried them individually, but no dice. Nothing coming out from the tuner setting, either. The front panel shows that the receiver is getting an incoming signal (the speaker indicators light up appropriately when getting a stereo source, 5.1 source, etc.). There's just no sound coming out at all. I left it unplugged overnight and tried again this morning, and still nothing. There are no error messages, the blue light isn't blinking, and no protection circuits were tripped. Visually, it looks like it's doing everything it's supposed to....there's just nothing coming from the speakers.

Since it's brand new, it's no problem for me to exchange it. However, I'm out of town until next Tuesday, so I thought I'd post this question to see if there is some obvious setting I'm overlooking. Maybe I hit a button accidentally. Maybe there's some troubleshooting step that I overlooked, etc. I'd prefer not to box it up, lug it in, lug a new one home, etc., if this is simply a user error issue.

What ideas do you have?

Thanks,
Jeff

Click here to see my theater:

post #7079 of 17105 Old 04-08-2009, 04:01 PM

So far so good...have a question related to streaming audio while displaying video.
My Setup:
100" Projection screen
Blue Ray DVD player via HDMI

Ipod hooked up using a generic cradle with audio input going to CD.

On my previous ONKYO reveicer I kept my Ipod on the CD input so I could watch the game (muted), for example, while listening to the Ipod tunes.

When I hit the CD input on the remote Pioneer kills the picture and goes to the audio mode only.

How can I accomplish this on this receiver.?
Thanks a bunch!
post #7080 of 17105 Old 04-08-2009, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

jeffthx,
obvious ones first.. mute is not on?
Check that the Speakers are not accidently set to off or to SP-B.
Change from the front panel (see page 64)

Make sure you don't have headphones connected...
Sorry, not patronizing.. usually it's something like this (It's happened to me)

Hope that's all it is.. otherwise, it doesn't make sense... all indicators are functioning, it there was a problem, something should be indicated on the panel...

Make sure remote is set to MAIN and RECEIVER.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page