Official Pioneer SC-05 and SC-07 Owners Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #721 of 17109 Old 09-19-2008, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 4,817
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd1010 View Post

I just wish Apple would give us a codec for flac files and I'd be pretty happy.

True Flac files would be nice, but I find Apple Lossless to be just as good and equal in every sense. It would still be nice to have the support, the only problem playing Flac and Apple Lossless via an iPod you will cut your battery life in half or more because the files are so large.. From what I have experienced and read of course... Also is there an iPod dock for the 07?
Garman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #722 of 17109 Old 09-19-2008, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_Rocky View Post

As for the reference level, that could be the new THX Loudness Plus kicking in. That is supposed to give you reference lever AQ at lower levels = a MUST for us apartment dwellers, and late night insomniacs

First thing I turned off was Loudness Plus... my comment was more about the efficiency of the amps.

For other new owners, check for it.. it is on by default.
FilmMixer is offline  
post #723 of 17109 Old 09-19-2008, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
CHP_VR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newport Zoo
Posts: 3,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Quick thoughts.. got my SC07 set up and ran a quick MCACC.

It sounds fantastic.. amazing imaging, cleaned up low end, etc... It sounds very close in my room to the way I remeber the SC09.. and it kills the Denon 4308.

Just by ear, it seems that my reference level will fall at -18db!!! There is plenty of head room left, and I have a non treated, live 17x21 room, with fairly in-efficient mains (Mini Strata's from Onyx)...

I had wondered if this would be close to the SC09 in sound and power.. in my room, I am not disappointed at all, and couldn't, for my setup, justify spending the extra for the SC09...

I still miss the GUI and menus.. I am also sure I will miss HD Radio and internet radio.. but there are easy solutions for that if I need them... but the sound is fantastic. The phase band control, standing wave 3 band notch, and eq, are killer.

If there is anyone out there that is on the fence about this in regards to sound quality... let me put that to rest... this is the real deal, and even though I have major gripes about the functionality and lack of certain features, it sounds as good as I had hope for, and think that at the price I paid, and what most forum sponsors are selling it for, it is a steal.


As a side track side note... I have had an Apple TV for a while, and even though it isn't an open standard, I have been ripping my CD's in Apple Lossless.. tonight I finally paired my iPhone (with the free Apple Remote app) with the Apple TV.... for those that don't know, you then use the iPhone to run the Apple TV, and don't then need a monitor to go through your library... it acts as a front end with iTunes/Apple TV with album are, podcast frame grabs, etc... seamless and really geeky cool.


FilmMixer, Great first impressions review!
Very glad you are not dissappointed having come from the SC-09.. I didn't think you would be....
That confirms the sound is we're hearing is not just perception. Enjoy and let us know any "secrets" you find!
Oh, as WRX_Rocky mentioned, it does have internet radio and nueral radio direct.
Congratulations and thank you, FilmMixer!

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
CHP_VR is offline  
post #724 of 17109 Old 09-19-2008, 08:30 AM
Senior Member
 
nakenergy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:


Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
Quick thoughts.. got my SC07 set up and ran a quick MCACC.

It sounds fantastic.. amazing imaging, cleaned up low end, etc... It sounds very close in my room to the way I remeber the SC09.. and it kills the Denon 4308.

Just by ear, it seems that my reference level will fall at -18db!!! There is plenty of head room left, and I have a non treated, live 17x21 room, with fairly in-efficient mains (Mini Strata's from Onyx)...

I had wondered if this would be close to the SC09 in sound and power.. in my room, I am not disappointed at all, and couldn't, for my setup, justify spending the extra for the SC09...

I still miss the GUI and menus.. I am also sure I will miss HD Radio and internet radio.. but there are easy solutions for that if I need them... but the sound is fantastic. The phase band control, standing wave 3 band notch, and eq, are killer.

If there is anyone out there that is on the fence about this in regards to sound quality... let me put that to rest... this is the real deal, and even though I have major gripes about the functionality and lack of certain features, it sounds as good as I had hope for, and think that at the price I paid, and what most forum sponsors are selling it for, it is a steal.


As a side track side note... I have had an Apple TV for a while, and even though it isn't an open standard, I have been ripping my CD's in Apple Lossless.. tonight I finally paired my iPhone (with the free Apple Remote app) with the Apple TV.... for those that don't know, you then use the iPhone to run the Apple TV, and don't then need a monitor to go through your library... it acts as a front end with iTunes/Apple TV with album are, podcast frame grabs, etc... seamless and really geeky cool.

Film Mixer -

I have the Minis too; how is SC-07 with the Minis - both for 2-channel and HT? What did SC-07 replace in your gig? Was that a major improvement?
nakenergy is online now  
post #725 of 17109 Old 09-19-2008, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakenergy View Post

Film Mixer -

I have the Minis too; how is SC-07 with the Minis - both for 2-channel and HT? What did SC-07 replace in your gig? Was that a major improvement?

The SC07 is fantastic.. it handles the Mini's with ease.. it replaced a Denon 4308, 5308 and SC09TX... I've tried a lot of gear this year and wanted to save some money...

The SC07 won't disappoint for 2 channel... with the help of the MCACC in my room, the image is wide and the phantom center is rock solid... a great choice.
FilmMixer is offline  
post #726 of 17109 Old 09-19-2008, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Juan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: So Cal, US
Posts: 2,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, UPS came and went and no SC-05. This sucks as I ordered it Monday morning and I have already sold my 45-TX, so no receiver for this weekend. I am really bummed.

Juan

My HT
Juan is offline  
post #727 of 17109 Old 09-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
NismoZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post

Well, UPS came and went and no SC-05. This sucks as I ordered it Monday morning and I have already sold my 45-TX, so no receiver for this weekend. I am really bummed.

Did you get a tracking number? What's the scheduled delivery?
NismoZ is offline  
post #728 of 17109 Old 09-19-2008, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Juan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: So Cal, US
Posts: 2,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post

Did you get a tracking number? What's the scheduled delivery?

Yes, and it did not show up on there webpage till late Wednesday and all it says is that they have received the billing info now for two and a half days. Talking to the vendor, it sounds like UPS has lost the package.

Juan

My HT
Juan is offline  
post #729 of 17109 Old 09-19-2008, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post

Yes, and it did not show up on there webpage till late Wednesday and all it says is that they have received the billing info now for two and a half days. Talking to the vendor, it sounds like UPS has lost the package.

Juan.. what state was it coming from?

Just curious.... hope you get this resolved soon.
FilmMixer is offline  
post #730 of 17109 Old 09-19-2008, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Juan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: So Cal, US
Posts: 2,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Juan.. what state was it coming from?

Just curious.... hope you get this resolved soon.

So Cal and I am in So Cal. Hopefully next week.

Juan

My HT
Juan is offline  
post #731 of 17109 Old 09-19-2008, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 24,255
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 1328
I've compared pictures displayed via the USB port on the SC-05 vs the same pictures via the USB port of my Pro 150. For some reason the pix look better when using the Pro 150 USB port.

First, when using the 05, the aspect ratio is wrong and 2nd when you force the 150 to adjust the aspect ratio to 4:3 (the only AR that looks OK with the pictures), it gives you gray sidebars. When using the Pro 150 directly, it gives you black sidebars.

I haven't run in to this kind of issue before. Any ideas?
Ken Ross is offline  
post #732 of 17109 Old 09-19-2008, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
CHP_VR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newport Zoo
Posts: 3,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
More than likely, the SC-05 is transmitting it to your KURO at 480i.. what does the display read on your KURO Ken?

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
CHP_VR is offline  
post #733 of 17109 Old 09-19-2008, 05:21 PM
Senior Member
 
patgilm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Crofton, MD
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a MCACC question. I did the set up using the full auto MCACC and it set all of my speakers to large even though the rears are definitely not large. I have read some posts where some people have said to set all of the speakers to small. My front towers are B&W 703's so they don't have subs in them. Should I be manually setting all of my speakers to small even though the MCACC sets them as large? What is everyone else doing?
patgilm is offline  
post #734 of 17109 Old 09-19-2008, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Juan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: So Cal, US
Posts: 2,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by patgilm View Post

I have a MCACC question. I did the set up using the full auto MCACC and it set all of my speakers to large even though the rears are definitely not large. I have read some posts where some people have said to set all of the speakers to small. My front towers are B&W 703's so they don't have subs in them. Should I be manually setting all of my speakers to small even though the MCACC sets them as large? What is everyone else doing?

If you have a dedicated sub, then I would set them all the speakers to small.

Juan

My HT
Juan is offline  
post #735 of 17109 Old 09-19-2008, 05:54 PM
Member
 
Fuzzy761210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
well after having my local dealer string me along on my SC-05, I just ordered the 05 from Soundpro dot com. They assure me they have them in stock and will ship on monday.

just kinda frustrated that I ordered the 05 2 1/2 months ago and still haven't got it.

all well

just my luck...

edit
Scott from soundpro called me to confirm my order and to joke with me about not having it in stock. I sent him email before my order, asking him if he in fact had in it stock and my troubles so far with 05.

I'm always wearing about ordering online when prices are cheaper then normal but talking to him made me feel tons better about the sale.
Fuzzy761210 is offline  
post #736 of 17109 Old 09-19-2008, 06:02 PM
Senior Member
 
patgilm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Crofton, MD
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post

If you have a dedicated sub, then I would set them all the speakers to small.

I do have a dedicated sub so I will change everything to small. Thanks for the quick response.
patgilm is offline  
post #737 of 17109 Old 09-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Kishore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The SC07 is the best value for money receiver I have heard/owned so far. My Wyred amp is sitting idle for now- and it's audio is close to that of 5308.

Pioneer has produced a winner here.

Cheers,
Kishore
Kishore is offline  
post #738 of 17109 Old 09-19-2008, 06:35 PM
Senior Member
 
billybob0405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kimberling City, MO
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Many of you have went for the SC-07 and given it high praise. Will I be sacrificing much by going with the SC-05? I really don't see anything in the specs of the SC-07 that would rock me in the specs. Real world use could be different.

I know this question has been asked before. I have read them and the responses. I just plan on making my move next week and would like one more chance at insuring I'm not missing something. The SC-07 is not that much more, but the savings of the SC-05 will go to a new 151 later this year.

Bill

There are no answers, only choices.
billybob0405 is offline  
post #739 of 17109 Old 09-19-2008, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Juan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: So Cal, US
Posts: 2,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob0405 View Post

Many of you have went for the SC-07 and given it high praise. Will I be sacrificing much by going with the SC-05? I really don't see anything in the specs of the SC-07 that would rock me in the specs. Real world use could be different.

I know this question has been asked before. I have read them and the responses. I just plan on making my move next week and would like one more chance at insuring I'm not missing something. The SC-07 is not that much more, but the savings of the SC-05 will go to a new 151 later this year.

Bill


I chose the 05 for the same reason, but my savings are going into a new subwoofer.

Juan

My HT
Juan is offline  
post #740 of 17109 Old 09-19-2008, 08:55 PM
Senior Member
 
67 - 427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

True Flac files would be nice, but I find Apple Lossless to be just as good and equal in every sense. It would still be nice to have the support, the only problem playing Flac and Apple Lossless via an iPod you will cut your battery life in half or more because the files are so large.. From what I have experienced and read of course... Also is there an iPod dock for the 07?

Garman I have been using the Pioneer IDK-01 Universal Ipod Dock with my SC-07, works great.
67 - 427 is offline  
post #741 of 17109 Old 09-19-2008, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 4,817
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy761210 View Post

well after having my local dealer string me along on my SC-05, I just ordered the 05 from Soundpro dot com. They assure me they have them in stock and will ship on monday.

just kinda frustrated that I ordered the 05 2 1/2 months ago and still haven't got it.

all well

just my luck...

edit
Scott from soundpro called me to confirm my order and to joke with me about not having it in stock. I sent him email before my order, asking him if he in fact had in it stock and my troubles so far with 05.

I'm always wearing about ordering online when prices are cheaper then normal but talking to him made me feel tons better about the sale.

I have been ordering stuff from him for years, he is as trustworthy as they come!!! In fact I will be ordering another Blu-Ray player from him in the near future. On top of it I have ordered at least 6 receivers from him in the past, my current 07 I purchase from him and arrived within 3 days...
Garman is offline  
post #742 of 17109 Old 09-19-2008, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 4,817
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishore View Post

The SC07 is the best value for money receiver I have heard/owned so far. My Wyred amp is sitting idle for now- and it's audio is close to that of 5308.

Pioneer has produced a winner here.

Cheers,
Kishore

Ah, I am a huge Pioneer Elite fan, and love my 07.. But the Wyred amps are very well made, and to me sound better sonically than my 07 receiver.
Garman is offline  
post #743 of 17109 Old 09-19-2008, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
CHP_VR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newport Zoo
Posts: 3,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob0405 View Post

Many of you have went for the SC-07 and given it high praise. Will I be sacrificing much by going with the SC-05? I really don't see anything in the specs of the SC-07 that would rock me in the specs. Real world use could be different.

I know this question has been asked before. I have read them and the responses. I just plan on making my move next week and would like one more chance at insuring I'm not missing something. The SC-07 is not that much more, but the savings of the SC-05 will go to a new 151 later this year.

Bill

Bill,
I don't think Sonically you can go wrong with either receiver.
The SC-07 has a few extras like two HDMI outputs and a Component out for Zone 2.
Audio-wise the SC-07 has "sampling rate converter HDMI Jitter Reduction- Burr Brown" (Not sure what that last part actually does in terms of setting it apart from the SC-05 since they both also have HDMI Jitter reduction)
The product brochure for the SC-07 list anything different from the SC-05 in bold.
I think you would have no regrets with either one you chose.

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
CHP_VR is offline  
post #744 of 17109 Old 09-20-2008, 02:21 AM
Senior Member
 
billybob0405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kimberling City, MO
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

Bill,
I don't think Sonically you can go wrong with either receiver.
The SC-07 has a few extras like two HDMI outputs and a Component out for Zone 2.
Audio-wise the SC-07 has "sampling rate converter HDMI Jitter Reduction- Burr Brown" (Not sure what that last part actually does in terms of setting it apart from the SC-05 since they both also have HDMI Jitter reduction)
The product brochure for the SC-07 list anything different from the SC-05 in bold.
I think you would have no regrets with either one you chose.

Yes, I have been studying the brochure for some time, unfortunately, it has some errors. THX loudness, I believe, is present in both units and not an SC-07 enhancement. On the SC-05 brocure, it lists the HDMI inputs as 3, but it has 4. So I have taken the brocure with a grain of salt. I have also read the manuals to try to verify some of the specs listed in the brocure. This was just a real world check to see if anyone had any ammunition to try to sway me to the SC-07. Kinda like a last minute check before leaving on a trip.

Thanks
Bill

There are no answers, only choices.
billybob0405 is offline  
post #745 of 17109 Old 09-20-2008, 06:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Blueste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 - 427 View Post

Garman I have been using the Pioneer IDK-01 Universal Ipod Dock with my SC-07, works great.

Has anyone tried the ipod classic with the SC-05? I did a direct hook up to the usb and the SC-05 did not seem to recognize. I know the manual says may not work with all models, but did not see the ipod classic as being one that wouldn't work. I will have to spend more time with it, as I had to boogie out of town Thursday and couldn't finish. If anyone has any experience would love to hear about it. Thanks, Blue
Blueste is offline  
post #746 of 17109 Old 09-20-2008, 06:45 AM
Senior Member
 
MovieGuruJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: IL
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Quick thoughts.. got my SC07 set up and ran a quick MCACC.

It sounds fantastic.. amazing imaging, cleaned up low end, etc... It sounds very close in my room to the way I remeber the SC09.. and it kills the Denon 4308.

Just by ear, it seems that my reference level will fall at -18db!!! There is plenty of head room left, and I have a non treated, live 17x21 room, with fairly in-efficient mains (Mini Strata's from Onyx)...

I had wondered if this would be close to the SC09 in sound and power.. in my room, I am not disappointed at all, and couldn't, for my setup, justify spending the extra for the SC09...

I still miss the GUI and menus.. I am also sure I will miss HD Radio and internet radio.. but there are easy solutions for that if I need them... but the sound is fantastic. The phase band control, standing wave 3 band notch, and eq, are killer.

If there is anyone out there that is on the fence about this in regards to sound quality... let me put that to rest... this is the real deal, and even though I have major gripes about the functionality and lack of certain features, it sounds as good as I had hope for, and think that at the price I paid, and what most forum sponsors are selling it for, it is a steal.


As a side track side note... I have had an Apple TV for a while, and even though it isn't an open standard, I have been ripping my CD's in Apple Lossless.. tonight I finally paired my iPhone (with the free Apple Remote app) with the Apple TV.... for those that don't know, you then use the iPhone to run the Apple TV, and don't then need a monitor to go through your library... it acts as a front end with iTunes/Apple TV with album are, podcast frame grabs, etc... seamless and really geeky cool.

I am curious if my same complaints about the shortcomings of the Marantz SR8002 will mostly be the same as the SC07. I posted a mini-review of it over in the Marantz SR7002/8002 dedicated thread for those wanting more info. Basically, the lack of assignable inputs, input limitations and input assignment was the biggest issue I had. Also the tuner quality was VERY poor. Can anyone tell me how the SC07 compares in these terms?

From what I have heard in person, the Marantz SR8002 may very well be equal to the SC07 in terms of audio quality. I am not at all easily convinced on the ICE designs being that much better. In fact, I have found several articles searching google about the SC07 and top line 09 models that debate how Pioneer is defining "Class D" and how it can be implemented to mean different terms depending upon marketing.

So, I've decided to try both the Denon 4308 and SC07 since they are roughly the same price wise and compare them to the Marantz SR8002. It will be a couple of weeks until the SC07 arrives. Also, I am going to try to get a flagship Denon 5308 to see if it bests them for audio quality only, leaving out the video processing.

Some of the drawbacks I have put together from others about the SC07 is while audio is very good like the SR8002, it lacks in many other areas just as that unit did which is why I was very disappointed. I want BOTH great audio and features with no compromise but if I could get close without hitting the $5K price range that would be my goal.

I'll report back what I find once the units arrive.
MovieGuruJeff is offline  
post #747 of 17109 Old 09-20-2008, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 24,255
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 1328
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

More than likely, the SC-05 is transmitting it to your KURO at 480i.. what does the display read on your KURO Ken?

Charles, thanks much! But I actually figured it out last night. The HMG mode was always in 1080p when it displayed a picture, but it still didn't look right. The problem was the control that set the aspect ratio. Instead of setting it to whatever the default was, I set it to 'normal' and that gave me the black bars and also proper AR every time.

The other thing that was throwing me was that when I put the USB stick in the Pro 150, it defaulted to "Optimum" mode with no way that I could find to adjust it. That gave the picture more punch but it wasn't as accurate. When I put the USB stick in the 05, I got my calibrated Pure mode settings, so the picture looked much different.

So all is well now! Thanks for your support Charles. Now I've got to figure out how to set the 05 so it shows thumbnails of the pictures instead of just file names. I'm not sure that can be done as I can with the Pro 150's HMG.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #748 of 17109 Old 09-20-2008, 08:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 24,255
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 1328
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob0405 View Post

Yes, I have been studying the brochure for some time, unfortunately, it has some errors. THX loudness, I believe, is present in both units and not an SC-07 enhancement. On the SC-05 brocure, it lists the HDMI inputs as 3, but it has 4. So I have taken the brocure with a grain of salt. I have also read the manuals to try to verify some of the specs listed in the brocure. This was just a real world check to see if anyone had any ammunition to try to sway me to the SC-07. Kinda like a last minute check before leaving on a trip.

Thanks
Bill

Bill, I think the differences are very minor in both. If you don't need the extra HDMI output (as I didn't), you'll do very well with the SC-05. I'm very happy with the unit!
Ken Ross is offline  
post #749 of 17109 Old 09-20-2008, 09:26 AM
Senior Member
 
patgilm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Crofton, MD
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuruJeff View Post

I am curious if my same complaints about the shortcomings of the Marantz SR8002 will mostly be the same as the SC07. I posted a mini-review of it over in the Marantz SR7002/8002 dedicated thread for those wanting more info. Basically, the lack of assignable inputs, input limitations and input assignment was the biggest issue I had. Also the tuner quality was VERY poor. Can anyone tell me how the SC07 compares in these terms?

From what I have heard in person, the Marantz SR8002 may very well be equal to the SC07 in terms of audio quality. I am not at all easily convinced on the ICE designs being that much better. In fact, I have found several articles searching google about the SC07 and top line 09 models that debate how Pioneer is defining "Class D" and how it can be implemented to mean different terms depending upon marketing.

So, I've decided to try both the Denon 4308 and SC07 since they are roughly the same price wise and compare them to the Marantz SR8002. It will be a couple of weeks until the SC07 arrives. Also, I am going to try to get a flagship Denon 5308 to see if it bests them for audio quality only, leaving out the video processing.

Some of the drawbacks I have put together from others about the SC07 is while audio is very good like the SR8002, it lacks in many other areas just as that unit did which is why I was very disappointed. I want BOTH great audio and features with no compromise but if I could get close without hitting the $5K price range that would be my goal.

I'll report back what I find once the units arrive.

I'm sure the SC-07 is similar to the SR8002 as I've heard that it's sound quality is very good. It you want it all, like I mentioned before, you will not get it with the 4308 or the SC-07. You should just go with the 5308 as I've heard many good things about that receiver. Unfortunately I personally don't think it is worth more than double the price of either the 4308 or the SC-07 but that is just my opinion.
patgilm is offline  
post #750 of 17109 Old 09-20-2008, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by patgilm View Post

I'm sure the SC-07 is similar to the SR8002 as I've heard that it's sound quality is very good. It you want it all, like I mentioned before, you will not get it with the 4308 or the SC-07. You should just go with the 5308 as I've heard many good things about that receiver. Unfortunately I personally don't think it is worth more than double the price of either the 4308 or the SC-07 but that is just my opinion.

I'm going to go out on a limb.. but I think the SC07 sounds better than my 5308 did, in my room. The video on the 5308 was a step up, for sure, and as I've mentioned numerous times, the Denon's are much nicer to use.. but for audio, I think this is better for me, and really close to the SC09.
FilmMixer is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off