Official Pioneer SC-05 and SC-07 Owners Thread - Page 290 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Official Pioneer SC-05 and SC-07 Owners Thread

Receivers, Amps, and Processors

ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj
02:02 PM Liked: 92
post #8671 of 17116
05-05-2009 | Posts: 21,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

Well, take some time to enjoy as well, Juan
And remember, fingerprints show on sheet rock panels!

On another note, my DV-59AVi is scheduled to show up this Saturday!!!
And isn't your Audessy due this week, ccontenj?

geez, that didn't take long to get it shipped to you... i hope you like it, since we talked you into it...

unfortunately not... looking like at least july/august now... i should have signed up way earlier, but i wasn't really sure they'd ever actually get it in production... so while i am on the pre-order list, i'm well down it...

hopefully the new oppo will be here in the next couple weeks though... it's scheduled to ship sometime between today and the 21st... good thing too, i've sold so much stuff lately that i'm actually running out of equipment...
Macfan424's Avatar Macfan424
02:02 PM Liked: 14
post #8672 of 17116
05-05-2009 | Posts: 5,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post

...I was watching Punisher: Warzone (DTS:MA 7.1). Don't get to see many 7.1 movies and don't have one myself to test.

I've got Auto Surround selected, and DTS:MA comes up on the AVR when the movies plays. However, the Sound Rear lights do not light up on the SC-07. I've only got 5.1 lights...Funny thing is, I can hear sounds coming from the rears and they are working, but I have only 5.1 lights on the AVR... Can you guys help out or share your experiences?

Quote:

OK, if it's 7.1 it should show on the display with all speakers, you are correct..
Sorry, out of ideas for now

... maybe someone else can chime in from here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post

...I found this...
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=853614

Seems other have issues with certain discs and lights...

Quote:

We need FilmMixer's expert input on this.. Punisher: Warzone (DTS:MA 7.1) could have an authoring or flag issue..

I had the same issue with Hellboy II, as apparently other people did. As others have observed, there was a great deal more activity out of the rear channels than I normally observe with 5.1 discs (I have meters, so I can see the activity level).

Until we hear from FilmMixer to the contrary, I'm putting my money on some kind of flagging issue. It doesn't seem to be limited to Pioneer, at least.
CHP_VR's Avatar CHP_VR
02:13 PM Liked: 11
post #8673 of 17116
05-05-2009 | Posts: 3,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

geez, that didn't take long to get it shipped to you... i hope you like it, since we talked you into it...

unfortunately not... looking like at least july/august now... i should have signed up way earlier, but i wasn't really sure they'd ever actually get it in production... so while i am on the pre-order list, i'm well down it...

hopefully the new oppo will be here in the next couple weeks though... it's scheduled to ship sometime between today and the 21st... good thing too, i've sold so much stuff lately that i'm actually running out of equipment...

I'm sure I will

I trust you guys not to let me stumble too hard.

But, to qualify the previous statement, if I don't, you all will be the first to know!

Whoa, actual SPACE to put equipment in?? WOW, I'm looking for a deal on cinderblocks to make room for extra stuff (and relive my youth) ... As it is, I got all my wireless routers, HR21 and power management APC sitting on the top of my rack cabinet...

I'm sure you'll find some cool toys to fill the empty rack space soon.
graphicguy's Avatar graphicguy
02:52 PM Liked: 12
post #8674 of 17116
05-05-2009 | Posts: 3,646
Quote:

Secrets just did a review on the DBP-09FD
by Chris Heinonen and and Adrian Wittenberg
Sure would look puuurty with my SC
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/blu-r...er-review.html

Would look great with your cinder blocks.....
Juan's Avatar Juan
02:59 PM Liked: 11
post #8675 of 17116
05-05-2009 | Posts: 2,440
Quote:

And remember, fingerprints show on sheet rock panels!

Try to find a fingerprint on this wall I put up? It is to the walk-in closet I just finish building, thank God for the texture process.. Sorry for the poor pic, I took it with my BlackBerry.

LL
Juan's Avatar Juan
03:01 PM Liked: 11
post #8676 of 17116
Quote:

c'mon juan... i don't want to be the only one playing with configuring the new 83 to play nice with the sc...

Sorry, had to pass for now as my list of things to upgrade is pretty long. Maybe by the time I am ready, all the bugs will really be ironed out.
CHP_VR's Avatar CHP_VR
03:04 PM Liked: 11
post #8677 of 17116
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

Would look great with your cinder blocks.....

with my new flat screen?

pictures from: http://kennethclark.blogspot.com/200...g-post_23.html
CHP_VR's Avatar CHP_VR
03:09 PM Liked: 11
post #8678 of 17116
hmmm.... I'll need gg's and ccontenj's confirmation, but I'm pretty sure that's one on the lower right corner of the light switch...

Looks really great, Juan! WOW... lots of work went into that. Congratulations!

What's the receiver on the left?
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj
03:10 PM Liked: 92
post #8679 of 17116
that guy gets bonus points for creativity, at least...

charles, i have plenty of space in my rack if you want to send something my way to keep the sc company... i have a grand total of zero disk spinners in it right now...
Juan's Avatar Juan
03:12 PM Liked: 11
post #8680 of 17116
Quote:

hmmm.... I'll need gg's and ccontenj's confirmation, but I'm pretty sure that's one on the lower right corner of the light switch...

Looks really great, Juan! WOW... lots of work went into that. Congratulations!

What's the reciever on the left?

Thanks, that is the first wall I have ever put up, not hard to do, but really messy, specially the mudding, sanding and texture part.

The receiver is an HK 8000, I don't even have it hooked up right now, something else I have to get to sooner or later.
CHP_VR's Avatar CHP_VR
03:17 PM Liked: 11
post #8681 of 17116
Ok ccontenj, I'll see what I can do to find something to keep your SC company
graphicguy's Avatar graphicguy
03:23 PM Liked: 12
post #8682 of 17116
05-05-2009 | Posts: 3,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post

Thanks, that is the first wall I have ever put up, not hard to do, but really messy, specially the mudding, sanding and texture part.

The receiver is an HK 8000, I don't even have it hooked up right now, something else I have to get to sooner or later.

Juan....that looks really good. I can empathize about the mudding, sanding, smoothing, etc. Messy and tedious.

Great Job!
got rice's Avatar got rice
04:43 PM Liked: 10
post #8683 of 17116
05-05-2009 | Posts: 13
I would like to start off and thank each one of you.This thread offers a vast wealth of knowledge. Thank you.

I have a SC-07 on the way and couldn't be any mor excited. I am currently running a Yamaha RX-v3000 pre HDMI with dd.1 and dts. So this new puppy will be my first AVR with the lossless codecs and its an SC-07. So you can see why I'm so excited.The wait is killing me... it was shipped today and can't here quick enough.

thanks again
Juan's Avatar Juan
04:44 PM Liked: 11
post #8684 of 17116
Quote:
Originally Posted by got rice View Post

I would like to start off and thank each one of you.This thread offers a vast wealth of knowledge. Thank you.

I have a SC-07 on the way and couldn't be any mor excited. I am currently running a Yamaha RX-v3000 pre HDMI with dd.1 and dts. So this new puppy will be my first AVR with the lossless codecs and its an SC-07. So you can see why I'm so excited.The wait is killing me... it was shipped today and can't here quick enough.

thanks again

Congrats, you will totally enjoy the SC.
CHP_VR's Avatar CHP_VR
04:52 PM Liked: 11
post #8685 of 17116
Congratulations, got rice!

Welcome to the forums and the ICE Club!

I don't think you will be disappointed.
Be sure to let us know what you think!
(Pictures are always welcome)
Nimo's Avatar Nimo
05:20 PM Liked: 13
post #8686 of 17116
05-05-2009 | Posts: 2,403
Well I finally picked up some flooring and paint for the "Man Cave". Yea I've been lolly gagging on this for way too long... Time to go for some glass off! (surfing at dusk)
dp3dp's Avatar dp3dp
06:44 PM Liked: 10
post #8687 of 17116
05-05-2009 | Posts: 147
I have had the sc-05 for about 2 weeks now, I am utterly speachless this AVR is amazing. I have only run it in 5.0 as I had to clear through military housing to install some surround sound speakers; and the subwoofer box is currently in production with a local wood shpp I went with the IXL 15.2.2 and the EP2500. I currently also have the Oppo blu ray player on order patiently awaiting that as my current DVD player is terrible. the upconvert on the SC-05 is really nice especially for xbox and the wii. Hopefully by this weekend the sub box will be complete. Question is anyone running the pre amp subwoofer out into a EP2500. I was told that my old AVR the SONY STR-DE875 didnt have enough voltage out on the subwoofer pre-amp out to drive the EP2500. How does the SC-05 handle a EP2500 amp?
RemoteHDPC's Avatar RemoteHDPC
06:54 PM Liked: 10
post #8688 of 17116
05-05-2009 | Posts: 7
I have an All-In-Wonder HD on a 780G chipset MB (Asus M3A78-EM.) Both the onboard HDMI and the vid card HDMI pass both the audio and video. I am only getting 48 khz max data, but since you are only doing stereo, that shouldn't affect you.

I have been reading and understand that there are some different gauge HDMI cables that affect maximum transfer rate. Since I am running 1080p, and I only paid $3 for each of the 6' HDMI cables I bought, that may be the why Windows doesn't allow me to select anything higher for the audio. Not certain, but Tiger Direct has the maximum speed of the cable listed on some of theirs. Buy.com has better pricing on those cables. Instead, I am just using the toslink out for audio and the HDMI for video. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find an input that I have been able to set up that does video from HDMI, but audio from Toslink. Currently I just run downstairs and change the HDMI over when I want to look at the SC-05 on the plasma, but now that I have it configured where it sounds really good, I don't see a reason to pass the video from the SC anyway.

Interestingly enough, the MCACC auto program has set my speaker distance at something ridiculous, like an inch or something, when I am actually closer to 20' away, but it sounds good, so whatever. I live in an ICF (insulated concrete forms) with porcelain tile flooring and I am wondering if it is the extreme quietness/echo of the home that is causing it to get false readings. It's either that, or the fact that I had to run the microphone over a make shift 50' 16 gauge speaker wire.
eldithomaso's Avatar eldithomaso
07:11 PM Liked: 10
post #8689 of 17116
05-05-2009 | Posts: 1,954
Quote:

On another note, my DV-59AVi is scheduled to show up this Saturday!!!....

Oh so jealous...
and Oh you will be so pleased with that connected to the Susano!

Oh so jealous...
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj
07:20 PM Liked: 92
post #8690 of 17116
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoteHDPC View Post

I have been reading and understand that there are some different gauge HDMI cables that affect maximum transfer rate. Since I am running 1080p, and I only paid $3 for each of the 6' HDMI cables I bought, that may be the why Windows doesn't allow me to select anything higher for the audio. Not certain, but Tiger Direct has the maximum speed of the cable listed on some of theirs. Buy.com has better pricing on those cables. Instead, I am just using the toslink out for audio and the HDMI for video.

i can't comment on what your exact problem might be, but i can pretty much guarantee you it's not the hdmi cable that's causing it... some worthwhile reading for you on hdmi cables...

the guys in the htpc forums might have some insight on what your issue is with the card...

as far as the readings... well... concrete covered with porcelain (your entire abode is covered with porcelain?) isn't exactly a friendly environment... who knows what might be going on with that....
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj
07:23 PM Liked: 92
post #8691 of 17116
Quote:

it looks good, for sure...

i'm much better at tearing down walls than putting them up...

how to tell you are an a/v nut... you have spare avr's sitting around your house that you are gonna use "someday"...
soggydollarbar's Avatar soggydollarbar
08:01 PM Liked: 10
post #8692 of 17116
05-05-2009 | Posts: 5
got it to work. does not send digital audio through zone 2. had to run analog and digital for my cable box.

i also am having trouble getting the composite video cables from my tv to work through the amp. i only can get it to work through my cable box.
got rice's Avatar got rice
08:08 PM Liked: 10
post #8693 of 17116
05-05-2009 | Posts: 13
Quote:

Congrats, you will totally enjoy the SC.

Quote:

Congratulations, got rice!

Welcome to the forums and the ICE Club!

I don't think you will be disappointed.
Be sure to let us know what you think!
(Pictures are always welcome)

Gentlemen, thank you for the warm welcome. It is a pleasure to be a member of the ICE club I'll definitely keep everyone posted as soon as it comes in.
eyesofra's Avatar eyesofra
08:31 PM Liked: 10
post #8694 of 17116
05-05-2009 | Posts: 43
guys,
Just a quick query reagarding the bass management in lx-71 ( sc-05 ).

Does the receiver apply any bass management on the dedicated .1 LFE signal ?

My sub does not have a bypass switch and the highest xover point available is only 85Hz and i've left the global xover in the receiver at 80Hz with subwoofer as " Yes " and front towers as " large ".

In this case , does the management route any LFE signal above 80Hz from the sub out to the front speakers ?

replies much appreciated guys...
icemanu's Avatar icemanu
09:23 PM Liked: 10
post #8695 of 17116
05-05-2009 | Posts: 98
Couple of questions :

While streaming mp3 using PS3, I set the Audio O/P in stereomode, but Subwoofer doesnt work in that mod. Is that normal ??? Subwoofer starts when using Dolby mods.

I got the Aperion 5.1 setup, the front speakers are 6ohms and rear are 8 ohms. Is there a place to set the speaker Impedence levels in Pioneer ?
RemoteHDPC's Avatar RemoteHDPC
10:39 PM Liked: 10
post #8696 of 17116
05-05-2009 | Posts: 7
Quote:

i can't comment on what your exact problem might be, but i can pretty much guarantee you it's not the hdmi cable that's causing it... some worthwhile reading for you on hdmi cables...

the guys in the htpc forums might have some insight on what your issue is with the card...

as far as the readings... well... concrete covered with porcelain (your entire abode is covered with porcelain?) isn't exactly a friendly environment... who knows what might be going on with that....

I'm fairly certain it's not an issue with the card. I haven't had an opportunity to do the math yet, but since I am running video out from a PC, I am using 32bit color, as opposed to the 12bit that blu-ray uses. I was debating scaling down the color to test, but again, since optical works, it isn't a priority for me.

Yes, I would expect the hard surfaces would add some accoustic challenges, that is why I am calling it out. But that's why we purchase a receiver such as this, since it can handle, right?
Ray's Avatar Ray
12:48 AM Liked: 10
post #8697 of 17116
05-06-2009 | Posts: 826
Hello all,
I just wanted to remind new SC owners about mic position during calibration. I just returned from a clients home where we did the design, consultation, pre-wire and the client did the rest of the install with an 07 we sold him last fall. The client has Berkline reclining chairs and placed the MIC at ear level with the chairs in the upright position which for him was below the rear back rest height. This is not the correct MIC position for any of the auto calibration software programs including MCACC. I am not sure if this was covered in the fact post but if not here is the correct procedure and the most common mistakes made when running auto cal.

#1 Make sure the Mic is positioned above the seats back rest regardless of ear height and make sure when you run auto cal that nothing including your body is in the proximity between the Mic and speakers being calibrated.

#2 Before you run any auto cal make sure your subwoofer or subwoofers are set at the 0 phase setting, crossover set to by pass or the maximum frequency level and the gain is set to at least +75 db before calibration. You can use the internal test tone generator in the set up menu and an SPL meter to do this before you run the calibration software. This is important because if your sub gain is set too low MCACC may not be able to compensate for the correct SPL level.

#3 If when you begin MCACC you hear distortion during the calibration you most likely have a grounding issue somewhere in your system. This needs to be corrected before you proceed with the calibration. The SC series receivers are very sensitive to grounding issues.

#4 Do not adjust calibrated subwoofer distances to the actual mechanical distance. MCACC set's the distance based on the way the subwoofer low frequency information interacts with your room at the listening position so a distance of say 20 ft when the actual distance is only 12 ft may be correct. Trust the MCACC setting with distance and SPL level settings as it is very accurate.

#5 You can re-set speaker size and crossover settings after MCACC calibration, this will not effect the rest of the calibration parameters. In most rooms regardless of the actual speaker size a setting of small and 80 or 60 Hz will be the correct setting if you have a capable subwoofer.

Please accept my apologies for typos and spelling errors, it's late but I wanted to post this before my skull full of mush forgets.
ON IN II's Avatar ON IN II
02:15 AM Liked: 11
post #8698 of 17116
05-06-2009 | Posts: 227
I read a half dozen or so forums here and I must say that CHP_VR does the best job of, well, everything regarding this thread and the all the updates to the front pages and links (especially since he has been Knighted and has a SC09)than any of the other "Thread Masters" on the threads I read. His knowledge and willingness to help (There are MANY here who do this as well so please don't be upset) is what I believe what sets this thread apart from others and makes it so successful. I know some of you here know what I mean as I see you on some of the other threads and they do get out of control.
As a guy who loves his music and HT and has no idea about the new technology and of all the new media stuff it is relaxing to come here and read posts and get some friendly help.
I don't think he has missed welcoming a new owner to the thread, but the constant work on keeping the info and front page up to date and current is greatly appreciated.

If I could I would sign you up for a "Beer of the Moth Club", or two or three.
Anyway, Thanks and just wanted to give out some appreciation. (its my wife's falt as she made me watch some WE, Lifetime movie with her)

CHP_VR des
TL5's Avatar TL5
04:35 AM Liked: 17
post #8699 of 17116
05-06-2009 | Posts: 658
A question: When I use my PS3 to watch movies, I see 5 speakers plus the sub on the front panel display. But when I use my Squeezebox, I don't see any speakers or sub on the display....why is this?
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj
05:04 AM Liked: 92
post #8700 of 17116
05-06-2009 | Posts: 21,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoteHDPC View Post

Yes, I would expect the hard surfaces would add some accoustic challenges, that is why I am calling it out. But that's why we purchase a receiver such as this, since it can handle, right?

well... it can help (and certainly does in most cases, it does wonders in my room), but it cannot work miracles...

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Subscribe to this Thread