Official Pioneer SC-05 and SC-07 Owners Thread - Page 291 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8701 of 17105 Old 05-06-2009, 04:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanu View Post

Couple of questions :

While streaming mp3 using PS3, I set the Audio O/P in stereomode, but Subwoofer doesnt work in that mod. Is that normal ??? Subwoofer starts when using Dolby mods.

I got the Aperion 5.1 setup, the front speakers are 6ohms and rear are 8 ohms. Is there a place to set the speaker Impedence levels in Pioneer ?

1) check to make sure you have mcacc engaged and that you are not in "pure direct" mode. how do you have the ps3 connected to the avr?

2) no changes to make.

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ccotenj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8702 of 17105 Old 05-06-2009, 04:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesofra View Post

guys,
Just a quick query reagarding the bass management in lx-71 ( sc-05 ).

Does the receiver apply any bass management on the dedicated .1 LFE signal ?

My sub does not have a bypass switch and the highest xover point available is only 85Hz and i've left the global xover in the receiver at 80Hz with subwoofer as " Yes " and front towers as " large ".

In this case , does the management route any LFE signal above 80Hz from the sub out to the front speakers ?


replies much appreciated guys...

as i understand it from reading the manual...

the lfe (i.e. the discrete .1 channel) isn't under the control of the bass management in the avr, so anything on that channel will not be routed to the main speakers, regardless of setting...

i'll bite... why "large" and "yes"? why not "small"/"yes"? or at least "large"/"plus"?

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ccotenj is offline  
post #8703 of 17105 Old 05-06-2009, 04:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL5 View Post

A question: When I use my PS3 to watch movies, I see 5 speakers plus the sub on the front panel display. But when I use my Squeezebox, I don't see any speakers or sub on the display....why is this?

need more details... how do you have each component connected to the avr?

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ccotenj is offline  
post #8704 of 17105 Old 05-06-2009, 04:47 AM
Member
 
OFFICERTOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFFICERTOM
One of the reasons I bought the SC-07 was because I needed a second HMDI ouput to connect to a HDMI transmitter to carry the video to other rooms in my home. The HT room has a 60" Kuro connected to HDMI output 1 and B&W speakers.

When I connected the HDMI transmitter to the SC-07 I could not get any audio in the TV rooms. I only could get sound when the SC-07 was configured to send audio to the HDMI ouputs but not to the amplifier then.

Is there any way to get sound thru the ampli and thru the HDMI outputs simultaneously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFFICERTOM View Post

I have seen that the SC-07 has a SOURCE Toslink audio output that I think it will automatically assigned to the selected input source. If the SC-07 HDMI outputs only carry the video stream, and the SOURCE Toslink audio output carries the sound, I am not sure if I could connect the SC-07 HDMI2 output to a DVI+Toslink to HDMI converter with a HDMI to DVI cable and a Toslink cable from the SC-07 to the converter.

I have found this elements in Amazon to configure this task:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-SPDIF-To...1546530&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Cable-.../dp/B0006I5I7G

Do you think that this solution could work? Any sound or video quality losses?

What about using a HDMI splitter to send the original source signal to the SC-07 and to the HDMI extender at the same time?

Can a HDMI splitter (1 HDMI input to 2 HDMI outputs) reduce the image/sound quality or cause problems with the HDCP sources?
OFFICERTOM is offline  
post #8705 of 17105 Old 05-06-2009, 04:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFFICERTOM View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFFICERTOM
One of the reasons I bought the SC-07 was because I needed a second HMDI ouput to connect to a HDMI transmitter to carry the video to other rooms in my home. The HT room has a 60" Kuro connected to HDMI output 1 and B&W speakers.

When I connected the HDMI transmitter to the SC-07 I could not get any audio in the TV rooms. I only could get sound when the SC-07 was configured to send audio to the HDMI ouputs but not to the amplifier then.

Is there any way to get sound thru the ampli and thru the HDMI outputs simultaneously?


What about using a HDMI splitter to send the original source signal to the SC-07 and to the HDMI extender at the same time?

Can a HDMI splitter (1 HDMI input to 2 HDMI outputs) reduce the image/sound quality or cause problems with the HDCP sources?

a) yes, you could split the signal before going to the avr...

b) if it does "reduce" it, you'll know, because it will be visibly noticeably if you have signal degradation (i.e. you'll get sparklies or no picture at all)...

as far as causing hdcp issues... another "maybe" answer... not all splitters are created equal... some work better than others... fortunately, hdmi/hdcp has been around for awhile now, and some manufacturers have at least worked out most of the obvious issues... you might want to poke around the hdmi sub-forum for more concrete answers on that one...

i still haven't figured out why the raw audio data isn't still embedded in the video stream when you have the option set to "amp"...

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ccotenj is offline  
post #8706 of 17105 Old 05-06-2009, 05:12 AM
Member
 
OFFICERTOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, but do you know about any HDMI splitter brand that does not reduce image quality at all ?
OFFICERTOM is offline  
post #8707 of 17105 Old 05-06-2009, 05:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
wish i could give you a concrete answer on that, but since i don't have personal experience with any, i can't...

fwiw, it's not likely to be signal degradation issues that bite you, it's likely to be hdcp issues that bite you...

if you browse this sub-forum, or post the question there, you'll likely get better and more informed answers...

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ccotenj is offline  
post #8708 of 17105 Old 05-06-2009, 05:43 AM
TL5
Advanced Member
 
TL5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

need more details... how do you have each component connected to the avr?


The PS3 is connected with HDMI, and the Squeezebox uses toslink. Generally with the Squezebox I use DPL IIX, if that helps. I do get sound out of all 7 speakers & sub, just wondering why the "speaker icon" on the 05 doesn't show anything.
TL5 is offline  
post #8709 of 17105 Old 05-06-2009, 05:44 AM
Member
 
eyesofra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: formerly CH, MY now ACT, AU
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

as i understand it from reading the manual...

the lfe (i.e. the discrete .1 channel) isn't under the control of the bass management in the avr, so anything on that channel will not be routed to the main speakers, regardless of setting...

i'll bite... why "large" and "yes"? why not "small"/"yes"? or at least "large"/"plus"?

hi ccotenj , thanks for the reply.

The reasons why i had it on " yes " and "large" was because first of all , the sub is only a 150w 10" wharfy, and i thought i'd be a good idea not to overstress the modest sub with " plus " setting rather cleanly produce only the LFE signals with " yes " . And since the fronts were dual 8" towers i assumed they'd be able to fairly take on the role of " large " speakers. Pls do suggest others method of doing this more effectively ....

I was just goin thru the manual again and came across something that sort of indicates the bass management's ablity on managing the LFE channel. It does sound like it's performing lowpass filtering on the LFE but i'm not sure ...I've attached the snapshots , can u guys have a look and let me know what u'll think it means pls....

by da way , it's page 57 in the manual .....
LL
LL
eyesofra is offline  
post #8710 of 17105 Old 05-06-2009, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesofra View Post

hi ccotenj , thanks for the reply.

The reasons why i had it on " yes " and "large" was because first of all , the sub is only a 150w 10" wharfy, and i thought i'd be a good idea not to overstress the modest sub with " plus " setting rather cleanly produce only the LFE signals with " yes " . And since the fronts were dual 8" towers i assumed they'd be able to fairly take on the role of " large " speakers. Pls do suggest others method of doing this more effectively ....

I was just goin thru the manual again and came across something that sort of indicates the bass management's ablity on managing the LFE channel. It does sound like it's performing lowpass filtering on the LFE but i'm not sure ...I've attached the snapshots , can u guys have a look and let me know what u'll think it means pls....

by da way , it's page 57 in the manual .....

suggestion: try it with your speakers set to "small" and the sub setting on "yes"...

yup, page 57 is what i was looking at... i read it as "what does it do with the re-directed bass"... not "what does it do with the lfe"... but i freely admit i could be reading it incorrectly...

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ccotenj is offline  
post #8711 of 17105 Old 05-06-2009, 05:58 AM
Member
 
eyesofra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: formerly CH, MY now ACT, AU
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

suggestion: try it with your speakers set to "small" and the sub setting on "yes"...

yup, page 57 is what i was looking at... i read it as "what does it do with the re-directed bass"... not "what does it do with the lfe"... but i freely admit i could be reading it incorrectly...

I'll try out ur suggestion on the sub setting and see how that compares, thanks again

regarding the LFE, i can see where ur comin from, it could well be it which means i might need to get a new sub now... guys anyone with more info on this..... ?
eyesofra is offline  
post #8712 of 17105 Old 05-06-2009, 07:46 AM
Newbie
 
RemoteHDPC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

well... it can help (and certainly does in most cases, it does wonders in my room), but it cannot work miracles...

It can't? I better return it then. :-)

Actually, I have an extraordinarily challenging room. I've had the SC for just over a week and it has been amazing. I replaced an Onkyo, which had replaced a Sony. I was expecting this unit to do substantially better in the sourcecodes that the other units didn't support. I also expected the low volume distortion to fall off, but I never expected it to be so fully immersive across all the db's and all the different media.

I watched a Nora Jones 5.1 live at the house of blues concert DVD. It's probably one of my favorite audio/video discs to test with since it's such a small intimite venue. Anyway, 320bit MP3 stereo source out of this receiver (nothing else changed) sounds nearly as good as this DVD had sounded on my previous hardware. The DVD on the other hand gives you the feeling that you are there watching as it's happening.
RemoteHDPC is offline  
post #8713 of 17105 Old 05-06-2009, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mixdoctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 1,955
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I am having with my pair of DD-18's and SC-07. The SC-07's crossover has such a gradual slope that if I set both the sub at 80hz and the receiver at 80hz I hear the overlap which leads to muddy upper bass. So far I have the receiver set at 100Hz and the sub at 80hz. If I leave the subs crossover wide open then I definitely get that overlap of bass and it gets muddy. What's the best way to separate the frequencies as much as possible?

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer Elite SC-07, SC-05 Receivers
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
NHT VT-2.4 Surround System
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
Mixdoctor is offline  
post #8714 of 17105 Old 05-06-2009, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
CHP_VR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newport Zoo
Posts: 3,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post

Hello all,
I just wanted to remind new SC owners about mic position during calibration. I just returned from a clients home where we did the design, consultation, pre-wire and the client did the rest of the install with an 07 we sold him last fall. The client has Berkline reclining chairs and placed the MIC at ear level with the chairs in the upright position which for him was below the rear back rest height. This is not the correct MIC position for any of the auto calibration software programs including MCACC. I am not sure if this was covered in the fact post but if not here is the correct procedure and the most common mistakes made when running auto cal...............................

Thanks Ray!

No, it wasn't covered on the first page...

It is now though, under General Information..

Much appreciated. Thanks for the work and effort in putting this together for us.

-Proper Microphone position during calibration - by Ray
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...3#post16406993

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CHP_VR is offline  
post #8715 of 17105 Old 05-06-2009, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
CHP_VR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newport Zoo
Posts: 3,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ON IN II View Post

I read a half dozen or so forums here and I must say that CHP_VR does the best job of, well, everything regarding this thread and the all the updates to the front pages and links (especially since he has been Knighted and has a SC09)than any of the other "Thread Masters" on the threads I read. His knowledge and willingness to help (There are MANY here who do this as well so please don't be upset) is what I believe what sets this thread apart from others and makes it so successful. I know some of you here know what I mean as I see you on some of the other threads and they do get out of control.
As a guy who loves his music and HT and has no idea about the new technology and of all the new media stuff it is relaxing to come here and read posts and get some friendly help.
I don't think he has missed welcoming a new owner to the thread, but the constant work on keeping the info and front page up to date and current is greatly appreciated.

If I could I would sign you up for a "Beer of the Moth Club", or two or three.
Anyway, Thanks and just wanted to give out some appreciation. (its my wife's falt as she made me watch some WE, Lifetime movie with her)

CHP_VR des

Whoa, thanks, ON IN II

Appreciate your words (a lot).

Just want to make it clear, though, all I'm really doing is putting the stuff together.

You guys (and gals) are the ones that make this thread!

Me, personally, I just want to give back a tiny bit of all I've learned from you all.... I hope this has grown into a good resource area. Main thing we learn a bit and maybe have a bit of fun as well.
Oh, and
quit watching WE and start watching SPIKE now

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CHP_VR is offline  
post #8716 of 17105 Old 05-06-2009, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
b_scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post

Hello all,
I just wanted to remind new SC owners about mic position during calibration.

thanks Ray!
b_scott is offline  
post #8717 of 17105 Old 05-06-2009, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
CHP_VR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newport Zoo
Posts: 3,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoteHDPC View Post

I............................................Interestingly enough, the MCACC auto program has set my speaker distance at something ridiculous, like an inch or something, when I am actually closer to 20' away, but it sounds good, so whatever. I live in an ICF (insulated concrete forms) with porcelain tile flooring and I am wondering if it is the extreme quietness/echo of the home that is causing it to get false readings. It's either that, or the fact that I had to run the microphone over a make shift 50' 16 gauge speaker wire.

Not sure what characteristics may change with the 50 foot extention for the mike, but it could very well be part of the issue, RemoteHDPC.
One thing you may want to look at is the time setting in the "Advanced EQ Setup" page 51 for the reverb settings.


Another thing you might want to look at is the X curve.
Page 58:



A great resource is the Pioneer MCACC thread here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1112470

hope that helps

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CHP_VR is offline  
post #8718 of 17105 Old 05-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Member
 
icemanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

1) check to make sure you have mcacc engaged and that you are not in "pure direct" mode. how do you have the ps3 connected to the avr?

2) no changes to make.


Yes the MCACC is engaged. I just used the Stereo mod, that means I am not in Pure Direct mode. PS3 is connected using the HDMI(at BD Input).

Also, what level of volume does everyone use to watch BD movies with SC-07 ???
icemanu is offline  
post #8719 of 17105 Old 05-06-2009, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Macfan424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesofra View Post

guys,
Just a quick query reagarding the bass management in lx-71 ( sc-05 ).

Does the receiver apply any bass management on the dedicated .1 LFE signal ?

My sub does not have a bypass switch and the highest xover point available is only 85Hz and i've left the global xover in the receiver at 80Hz with subwoofer as " Yes " and front towers as " large ".

In this case , does the management route any LFE signal above 80Hz from the sub out to the front speakers ?


replies much appreciated guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesofra View Post

...I was just goin thru the manual again and came across something that sort of indicates the bass management's ablity on managing the LFE channel. It does sound like it's performing lowpass filtering on the LFE but i'm not sure ...I've attached the snapshots , can u guys have a look and let me know what u'll think it means pls....

by da way , it's page 57 in the manual .....

I don't know that any manual ever successfully makes this clear. I'm not sure I can either, but I'll try.

If the sub setting in the AVR is Yes/On, all LFE is directed to the sub. None of it is redirected to the main speakers, regardless of crossover frequency chosen.

The crossover setting applies only to speakers set to Small, and affects only bass encoded for that channel. (Confusing exception: The AVR mixes the bass from all channels set to Small with the LFE before applying the low pass filter and sending it to the sub. Thus, even LFE bass above the crossover is removed. It's not as big a problem as it might seem, as there rarely is much LFE above 80Hz anyway.)

If the sub setting is No/Off, LFE and bass below the crossover from channels set to Small is sent to speakers set to Large. That's the only condition in which LFE is directed to speakers other than the sub.
Macfan424 is offline  
post #8720 of 17105 Old 05-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Senior Member
 
WormInfested's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
why is it that the elites don't have bass management settings? i remember my older pioneer 2012k (similar to 45elite) had sub settings yet on my SC-05 there isn't anything. Did Pioneer feel it wasn't needed?

Pioneer Elite SC-05
JBL Studio S310 fronts, JBL Studio S26II's mid and S36's rear.
Epik Sentinel subwoofer
Slim PS3
Oppo BDP-103
BenQ W7500
WormInfested is offline  
post #8721 of 17105 Old 05-06-2009, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Macfan424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post

Hello all,
I just wanted to remind new SC owners about mic position during calibration. I just returned from a clients home where we did the design, consultation, pre-wire and the client did the rest of the install with an 07 we sold him last fall. The client has Berkline reclining chairs and placed the MIC at ear level with the chairs in the upright position which for him was below the rear back rest height. This is not the correct MIC position for any of the auto calibration software programs including MCACC. I am not sure if this was covered in the fact post but if not here is the correct procedure and the most common mistakes made when running auto cal.

#1 Make sure the Mic is positioned above the seats back rest regardless of ear height and make sure when you run auto cal that nothing including your body is in the proximity between the Mic and speakers being calibrated.

#2 Before you run any auto cal make sure your subwoofer or subwoofers are set at the 0 phase setting, crossover set to by pass or the maximum frequency level and the gain is set to at least +75 db before calibration. You can use the internal test tone generator in the set up menu and an SPL meter to do this before you run the calibration software. This is important because if your sub gain is set too low MCACC may not be able to compensate for the correct SPL level.

#3 If when you begin MCACC you hear distortion during the calibration you most likely have a grounding issue somewhere in your system. This needs to be corrected before you proceed with the calibration. The SC series receivers are very sensitive to grounding issues.

#4 Do not adjust calibrated subwoofer distances to the actual mechanical distance. MCACC set's the distance based on the way the subwoofer low frequency information interacts with your room at the listening position so a distance of say 20 ft when the actual distance is only 12 ft may be correct. Trust the MCACC setting with distance and SPL level settings as it is very accurate.

#5 You can re-set speaker size and crossover settings after MCACC calibration, this will not effect the rest of the calibration parameters. In most rooms regardless of the actual speaker size a setting of small and 80 or 60 Hz will be the correct setting if you have a capable subwoofer.

Please accept my apologies for typos and spelling errors, it's late but I wanted to post this before my skull full of mush forgets.

Very helpful, Ray.

I wonder if you would be willing to cross post this over in the "OFFICIAL" Pioneer MCACC thread? It could help a lot of Pioneer AVR owners who don't have an SC and thus don't look here.
Macfan424 is offline  
post #8722 of 17105 Old 05-06-2009, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Macfan424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by WormInfested View Post

why is it that the elites don't have bass management settings? i remember my older pioneer 2012k (similar to 45elite) had sub settings yet on my SC-05 there isn't anything. Did Pioneer feel it wasn't needed?

They do.

I suspect I don't understand your question. What is it you are looking for?
Macfan424 is offline  
post #8723 of 17105 Old 05-06-2009, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Macfan424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ON IN II View Post

I read a half dozen or so forums here and I must say that CHP_VR does the best job of, well, everything regarding this thread and the all the updates to the front pages and links (especially since he has been Knighted and has a SC09)than any of the other "Thread Masters" on the threads I read. His knowledge and willingness to help (There are MANY here who do this as well so please don't be upset) is what I believe what sets this thread apart from others and makes it so successful. I know some of you here know what I mean as I see you on some of the other threads and they do get out of control.
As a guy who loves his music and HT and has no idea about the new technology and of all the new media stuff it is relaxing to come here and read posts and get some friendly help.
I don't think he has missed welcoming a new owner to the thread, but the constant work on keeping the info and front page up to date and current is greatly appreciated.

If I could I would sign you up for a "Beer of the Moth Club", or two or three.
Anyway, Thanks and just wanted to give out some appreciation...

A big +1 to that!
Macfan424 is offline  
post #8724 of 17105 Old 05-06-2009, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

I don't know that any manual ever successfully makes this clear. I'm not sure I can either, but I'll try.

If the sub setting in the AVR is Yes/On, all LFE is directed to the sub. None of it is redirected to the main speakers, regardless of crossover frequency chosen.

The crossover setting applies only to speakers set to Small, and affects only bass encoded for that channel. (Confusing exception: The AVR mixes the bass from all channels set to Small with the LFE before applying the low pass filter and sending it to the sub. Thus, even LFE bass above the crossover is removed. It's not as big a problem as it might seem, as there rarely is much LFE above 80Hz anyway.)

If the sub setting is No/Off, LFE and bass below the crossover from channels set to Small is sent to speakers set to Large. That's the only condition in which LFE is directed to speakers other than the sub.

i think i grasp it now... the part that the manual is really unclear on (as opposed to it's normal somewhat unclearness) is what is happening to the lfe channel if sub is "off"...

charles, you wanna link macfan's post to the first post? someone else will want to know this...

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ccotenj is offline  
post #8725 of 17105 Old 05-06-2009, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

They do.

I suspect I don't understand your question. What is it you are looking for?

me neither...

the only thing i can think of is that his old avr had some type of separate crossover for the sub channel?

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ccotenj is offline  
post #8726 of 17105 Old 05-06-2009, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Macfan424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post

I am having with my pair of DD-18's and SC-07. The SC-07's crossover has such a gradual slope that if I set both the sub at 80hz and the receiver at 80hz I hear the overlap which leads to muddy upper bass. So far I have the receiver set at 100Hz and the sub at 80hz. If I leave the subs crossover wide open then I definitely get that overlap of bass and it gets muddy. What's the best way to separate the frequencies as much as possible?

The widely accepted "best way" is to bypass the sub's crossover altogether (or set it for it's highest setting if it has no bypass). This is recommended by subwoofer manufacturers, receiver manufacturers, and independent audio experts alike.

Evidently that doesn't work for you, but it's hard to guess why. The AVR's crossover slopes are carefully chosen to match one another and shouldn't need any "help" from the sub's. In fact, cascading low pass filters usually degrade sound quality.

By any chance are you using the Plus setting?
Macfan424 is offline  
post #8727 of 17105 Old 05-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Member
 
MountainSailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ca., USA
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All,

Well, as of yesterday I'm an official owner of a Pioneer SC05. A huge thanks to the early adopters and all others that have been posting on this thread. I finally just finished all the March and April posts. Wow, very informative and the main reason why I pulled the trigger on my purchase.

So, here's my problem. The unit arrived yesterday, but ...... OUCH....... there was shipping damage. The external box was pretty beaten up(normal, I think), the internal styrofoam was cracked. I didn't notice at 1st because I was working mainly on the back of the unit. Well, on the front bottom left corner there is damage. The edge is roughed up and a slight bend inward. Hard to notice at 10 ft away unless you really know what to look for.

I called the vendor that I purchased it from, and he was very helpful. I can either return it for a replacement, or he will give me about $200 after filing a claim with UPS. He estimated this based on a new front panel costing $150.

I haven't powered on the unit yet, but when I do, I need to check out that there is no functional damage.

2 questions for all of you:

1) How do I best check that everything is working functionally? I think this will be very hard to do in 1 day.

and more importantly:

2) Assuming everything does work fine, would you be worried about components failing sooner than normal? So, instead of the unit lasting 10-20 years, I start to have problems in 1 year.(I kept my last receiver for 14 years) Is this a cosmetic issue only or not?

I was so excited about getting this unit. I was tracking my package every 10 minutes for the last week. I can't think straight right now, so any help/advice would be very much appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!
John
MountainSailor is offline  
post #8728 of 17105 Old 05-06-2009, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Macfan424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

me neither...

the only thing i can think of is that his old avr had some type of separate crossover for the sub channel?

Yeah, I kinda thought that might be the case, too, but wasn't sure and wanted clarification before giving him an answer that might be more confusing than helpful.
Macfan424 is offline  
post #8729 of 17105 Old 05-06-2009, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

The widely accepted "best way" is to bypass the sub's crossover altogether (or set it for it's highest setting if it has no bypass). This is recommended by subwoofer manufacturers, receiver manufacturers, and independent audio experts alike.

Evidently that doesn't work for you, but it's hard to guess why. The AVR's crossover slopes are carefully chosen to match one another and shouldn't need any "help" from the sub's. In fact, cascading low pass filters usually degrade sound quality.

By any chance are you using the Plus setting?

yea, i'd think bypassing the sub's xover would eliminate the problem that the poster is having, especially since the sloppy bass he's describing is indicative of cascaded xovers...

as noted, the avr's xover configuration "should" be playing nice with itself... so something else is at work here...

wonder what?

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ccotenj is offline  
post #8730 of 17105 Old 05-06-2009, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainSailor View Post

All,

Well, as of yesterday I'm an official owner of a Pioneer SC05. A huge thanks to the early adopters and all others that have been posting on this thread. I finally just finished all the March and April posts. Wow, very informative and the main reason why I pulled the trigger on my purchase.

So, here's my problem. The unit arrived yesterday, but ...... OUCH....... there was shipping damage. The external box was pretty beaten up(normal, I think), the internal styrofoam was cracked. I didn't notice at 1st because I was working mainly on the back of the unit. Well, on the front bottom left corner there is damage. The edge is roughed up and a slight bend inward. Hard to notice at 10 ft away unless you really know what to look for.

I called the vendor that I purchased it from, and he was very helpful. I can either return it for a replacement, or he will give me about $200 after filing a claim with UPS. He estimated this based on a new front panel costing $150.

I haven't powered on the unit yet, but when I do, I need to check out that there is no functional damage.

2 questions for all of you:

1) How do I best check that everything is working functionally? I think this will be very hard to do in 1 day.

and more importantly:

2) Assuming everything does work fine, would you be worried about components failing sooner than normal? So, instead of the unit lasting 10-20 years, I start to have problems in 1 year.(I kept my last receiver for 14 years) Is this a cosmetic issue only or not?

I was so excited about getting this unit. I was tracking my package every 10 minutes for the last week. I can't think straight right now, so any help/advice would be very much appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!
John

well, first off, take a few deep breaths and relax... since you already have a "no lose" option in place (the vendor will replace at no cost), there's no sense in hyperventilating too much...

1) you can send it back and get a replacement. given the tone of your post, to be honest, i think that is what you should do. 2 more weeks of waiting won't kill you, and it will save you years of "worrying about it".

2) you can test it out as much as possible over the period of time you have and take the 200 bucks. disclaimer: everything that follows is my opinion... assuming everything "works" now, the damage shouldn't have any long term affect on the unit, and even if it did, it would be likely to fail within the warrantee period... if'n it was me (and i know it's not), i'd be tempted to take the 200, put the unit in my rack and use it, and spend the money on something else...

ymmv... but it sounds like it would bother you for the whole time you owned the avr, so option 1 is probably best for you....

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ccotenj is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off