post #8761 of 17104 Old 05-06-2009, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silv View Post

Hey guys,

I just bought a component cable for my wife's Wii and I'm having trouble getting sound through the SC05.

I've hooked up the component video to Component3 and the red/white audio to DVD on the back of the SC05 - how do I configure the sound input for that setting?

Either I'm missing something or I'm totally blind..

Thanks.

I'm in the same situation. I've only had the SC05 for 24 hours. The component cable that you buy for the WII actually has the 3 component cables, but also has 2 cables for sound: Left and Right RCA cables. The trouble I'm having with the SC05 is that when you configure an input that uses the component inputs you only have an option of selecting a digital input to accompany these component inputs. the 2 coaxs and the 4 opticals are the only options given. I haven't figured out yet how to take the sound from one of the other RCA based inputs. We need to be allowed to use component for video, and a non digital input for audio.

Any ideas out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8762 of 17104 Old 05-06-2009, 11:54 PM

Hey guys, I've recently purchased the sc 07 last week and have been playing with it over the weekend. I have yet to have it all dialed in the way I want it. I've been looking around the mcacc thread and this thread to try and improve upon the sq. I was coming from a 3808 which died on me and i'll probably do some comparisons a little bit later. I cant really say which has better AQ since my 3808 has been in for repair for the last 2-3 months.
I had some questions in regards to MCACC setup though. I was wondering how everyone with more then one sub was preparing for MCACC. I plan to mess with the phase setting on my subs to try and get everything right, but I wanted to know whether i should do that first, or run it through MCACC first and then play with the phase settings?
post #8763 of 17104 Old 05-07-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

Wish I could..
but frankly, I'm still too happy with my BDP-51FD to want to give it up just now.. ss9001 has both...
I love well made, well engineered toys....

I got the EU Version of the BDP-09 and it's a wonderful partner for my LX81. Imagine what it would be paired with an Susano *ggggggggg*

It has the build quality of the good old SONY ES series

Cheers
AppleRedX
post #8764 of 17104 Old 05-07-2009, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainSailor View Post

I'm in the same situation. I've only had the SC05 for 24 hours. The component cable that you buy for the WII actually has the 3 component cables, but also has 2 cables for sound: Left and Right RCA cables. The trouble I'm having with the SC05 is that when you configure an input that uses the component inputs you only have an option of selecting a digital input to accompany these component inputs. the 2 coaxs and the 4 opticals are the only options given. I haven't figured out yet how to take the sound from one of the other RCA based inputs. We need to be allowed to use component for video, and a non digital input for audio.

Any ideas out there?

The left and right audio RCAs have to be plugged into the input you are using. If you are using DVD, for example, you would assign which Component (1-2-3) to DVD you are plugged into to DVD and then plug the L&R RCAs into DVD in the back of the AVR. You can't assign the analogs. Use the Signal select button on the remote to get to analog.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
post #8765 of 17104 Old 05-07-2009, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi folks, my question today is networking 101.

Again, I'd like to thank the posters here for their wealth of knowledge and patient responses for those of us new to this thread. I have tried finding the info I'm looking for in this thread but I haven't found the info. So I appreciate your patience.

My last post was getting my sc-05 wireless & it was suggested I get a WAP, which I got & installed yesterday. Now what?

Is there a better source than the manual that walks you through this process step by step? I'm not so much interested in access to my computer as I am to internet radio.

I went to HMG after the install of the WAP & it says, "netwok found". I hit enter on that & see DCHP & IP address. I entered my IP & left the DCHP to auto. Then I went to internet radio & it says "server error". I'm at a total loss on what to do now.

Carl Jones
post #8766 of 17104 Old 05-07-2009, 05:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Jones View Post

I went to HMG after the install of the WAP & it says, "netwok found". I hit enter on that & see DCHP & IP address. I entered my IP & left the DCHP to auto. Then I went to internet radio & it says "server error". I'm at a total loss on what to do now.

hmmm...

let start with a potential setup issue and then go from there...

if you have dhcp set to "auto", you shouldn't be entering an ip address... entering an ip address is forcing the unit "out" of auto mode... the only time you would want to enter a static ip address is if you aren't running the dhcp server on your router, which would be unusual (i.e. you manually maintain static ip addresses on your LAN, in which case the "auto" setting would have no effect)...

go back into setup and change your "static ip address" back to 0.0.0.0... then give it a shot and see what you get... note: after you do this, make sure you click the "automatic (dhcp)" option when it brings you back to the submenu... "technically speaking", one would make the assumption that if you set the ip address to something non-addressable (0.0.0.0), that the firmware in the unit would default back to "auto", but assumptions tend to come back and bite you in the behind...

we'll get you squared away...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #8767 of 17104 Old 05-07-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

I don't know that any manual ever successfully makes this clear. I'm not sure I can either, but I'll try.

If the sub setting in the AVR is Yes/On, all LFE is directed to the sub. None of it is redirected to the main speakers, regardless of crossover frequency chosen.

The crossover setting applies only to speakers set to Small, and affects only bass encoded for that channel. (Confusing exception: The AVR mixes the bass from all channels set to Small with the LFE before applying the low pass filter and sending it to the sub. Thus, even LFE bass above the crossover is removed. It's not as big a problem as it might seem, as there rarely is much LFE above 80Hz anyway.)

If the sub setting is No/Off, LFE and bass below the crossover from channels set to Small is sent to speakers set to Large. That's the only condition in which LFE is directed to speakers other than the sub.

thanks heaps for the reply macfan.... it's making more sense to me now on how this is implemented in the receiver....

one last thing that i'm not very clear is the cutoff in LFE . U've indicated that it's possible for it to be a lowpass filter and anything above the xover gets removed .
On another note, is it possible for those signal above the xover in LFE to be redirected to the mains ( or others) ?

the reason for this thought is the manual indicates it as a " cutoff" rather then "lowpass", which makes me wander if they're talking bout both sides of the cutoff... lowpass to sub and highpass to the rest.

in other words, the xover point working as a global xover freq for bass management on all channels,... and in the case of .1 LFE signal ;
bass management passes everything below xover freq to sub and high-passes anything above that to other channels

is there a possibility the SC's work in such a way ?
post #8768 of 17104 Old 05-07-2009, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silv View Post

Hey guys,

I just bought a component cable for my wife's Wii and I'm having trouble getting sound through the SC05.

I've hooked up the component video to Component3 and the red/white audio to DVD on the back of the SC05 - how do I configure the sound input for that setting?

Either I'm missing something or I'm totally blind..

Thanks.

Silv, for using the DVD analog and component 3.. Anaolog needs to be inserted into the DVD IN analog input.

From there, goto your setup menu:

1.select DVD input
2.scroll to DIGITAL IN and change to NONE
3.Scroll to COMPONENT and select Component3

page94..

Please let us know if that works.

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
post #8769 of 17104 Old 05-07-2009, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkandra View Post

OSD WITH 151FD

I finally got my OSD working btwn the sc-07 and 151fd. Able to get everything incl vollume bar on the tv screen. just used hdmi cable ....used the hdmi sync on the tv remote and switched to AV sound source from the HDMI options
Defnitely adds some convenience

Great, glad it's working for you arunkandra

post #8770 of 17104 Old 05-07-2009, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPop View Post

Help!! I've had my SC07 for several weeks now and so far I love the receiver but now I'm having a problem with the receiver recognizing my bluray player. I have a Samsung 2550 connected via HDMI to HDMI I so far everything has worked perfectly. Last night I turned the receiver on and than the bluray player and there was no image or sound. The display flashes "NOT SUPPORT". I've checked all of the connections and even tried unplugging the receiver and bluray with no luck - still no sound or video and the same error message. I've looked through the manual and can't find any reference to this message.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!!

Sounds like something changed in the player, GeoPop...

NOT SUPPORT is usually seen when trying to upscale a digital signal... (the SC-07 will not do this.. ex. 720p to 1080p)
"If ‘NOT SUPPORT’ appears in the receiver’s display, try adjusting the resolution, DeepColor or other setting for your component." page 117

For a quick check for your problem, eliminate the cable first.. try another HDMI Cable if you have one..
Also, have you tried connecting directly to the TV?
Third, try plugging the HDMI cable into another input on your SC-07..

post #8771 of 17104 Old 05-07-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles View Post

The left and right audio RCAs have to be plugged into the input you are using. If you are using DVD, for example, you would assign which Component (1-2-3) to DVD you are plugged into to DVD and then plug the L&R RCAs into DVD in the back of the AVR. You can't assign the analogs. Use the Signal select button on the remote to get to analog.

Great! Thanks. I'll give this a try. Also thanks to CHP_VR for also answering this. Between the 2 of your responses, it took me about 5 seconds to get this to work. Huge time savings. Thanks Again!!!
post #8772 of 17104 Old 05-07-2009, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burroughsa View Post

I have finally made the jump. I am a proud owner of a SC-07. I have been looking and reading this thread for awhile now and have enjoyed every bit of it. I still have to set it up but out the box it sounds good. I am finally a member of the ICE club

burroughsa,

Congratulations and welcome to the ICE Club

Please let us know what you think!

post #8773 of 17104 Old 05-07-2009, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Glad it worked for you MountainSailor

Take your time, don't get too frustrated, and have fun!
Lots of options on this beast.

(sorry, mrgribbles, didn't see you had already answered.)

post #8774 of 17104 Old 05-07-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I see quite a few of my fellow SC owners are Apple fans, like me.

So, I've been trying to find a good set of headphones for my iphone (3G). I've got a half dozen playlists on it I use when I jog. I do like the fact that I can also answer my phone without taking it out of my pocket with the headphones (without breaking my "huff and puff" routine).

So far I've tried, in order....

-Apple ear buds with a mic....uncomfortable, can't keep them in my ears, and they don't sound very good. Nice microphone, though
-Bose (I know, why?) noise canceling over the ear headphones....no microphone (although I can buy one for $40....don't think so). They get real sweaty being an "over the ear" headphone. Don't sound bad for what they are, though
-V-Moda....in ear, with microphone. These were ideal. They sounded decent. They had a microphone. They were relatively comfortable. But, I've been through 3 sets of them. Seems as if they have some QC issues that causes them to "short out" with their flimsy plug connector.

I think what I'm looking for is, in order....

-decent sound
-has an iphone compatible microphone to answer calls
-reliable
-preferably, under $100 (the more under, the better)

I've looked at the B&O iphone headphones. Really nice. But, they're $200. Also looked at some headphones by a company called "Zagg". Intriguing, but I don't know anything about them. But, they seem to cover all the bases and are under $100. SURE...nice headphones but the cord with the microphone is really too long...gets in the way of jogging.

Any help here? Sorry to hijack the thread, but need some help!

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #8775 of 17104 Old 05-07-2009, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm an audiophile, so I'm not help with cheapness But I have the Shure SE530's with the iphone adapter cable purchased as well. Works great, and is detachable.

edit:

Actually, check out the Shure SE110 Sound Isolating Earphones. They retail for $120 but can be found for $65 on some site that sells books....... Then get the Shure MPA-3C Music Phone Adapter for iPhone (which I have) for around $30. That's $95, under your $100 max.
post #8776 of 17104 Old 05-07-2009, 09:06 AM

What should be my ideal xcurve settings. Here is my room layout

I had Xcurve at 0. Maybe is shud be at -2.5 I guess.

Room height : 9-10ft

I think my subwoofer placement is horrible. I might have to make some room on the left side of the room.
post #8777 of 17104 Old 05-07-2009, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
if it were me, i'd put my sub behind the couch in that setup. Or to the left.
post #8778 of 17104 Old 05-07-2009, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesofra View Post

thanks heaps for the reply macfan.... it's making more sense to me now on how this is implemented in the receiver....

one last thing that i'm not very clear is the cutoff in LFE . U've indicated that it's possible for it to be a lowpass filter and anything above the xover gets removed .
On another note, is it possible for those signal above the xover in LFE to be redirected to the mains ( or others) ?

the reason for this thought is the manual indicates it as a " cutoff" rather then "lowpass", which makes me wander if they're talking bout both sides of the cutoff... lowpass to sub and highpass to the rest.

in other words, the xover point working as a global xover freq for bass management on all channels,... and in the case of .1 LFE signal ;
bass management passes everything below xover freq to sub and high-passes anything above that to other channels

is there a possibility the SC's work in such a way ?

No doubt it would be possible, but that isn't how these circuits generally work, probably for very valid technical reasons. LFE signals stay in the LFE channel (if a sub is activated in the AVR) and are not redistributed to the main channels. The high pass filter is separately applied to all channels (set to Small) and the low pass filter is applied to all signals in the subwoofer channel, both redistributed bass from "Small" channels and LFE.

As I mentioned before, there seldom is much in the LFE channel above 80Hz, so any loss is negligible in practical terms. The LFE channel has a digital brick wall cutoff at 120Hz, so most producers roll off the LFE signal at ~80Hz to keep it clean, a practice likely reinforced by THX's choice of an 80Hz crossover standard. The AVR crossover is not a brick wall, so the sub will produce some output above that point (and the mains below). Further, there often seems to be some redundancy between LFE and the main channels in the mid-bass, which further reduces the audible effects of any LFE loss above the crossover point.
post #8779 of 17104 Old 05-07-2009, 11:40 AM

I am a new Sc-05 owner. I am having trouble getting my receiver to recognize my digital signal from my cable box. It will only play in the stereo mode. I had it working just fine and i must of switched something.

I am connected through digital optical cable from cable box to SC-05.

My Blu Ray plays in digital just can't seem to get anything else in digital?

Thanks in advance.
post #8780 of 17104 Old 05-07-2009, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soggydollarbar View Post

I am a new Sc-05 owner. I am having trouble getting my receiver to recognize my digital signal from my cable box. It will only play in the stereo mode. I had it working just fine and i must of switched something.

I am connected through digital optical cable from cable box to SC-05.

My Blu Ray plays in digital just can't seem to get anything else in digital?

Thanks in advance.

not sure which cable box you have, so i can't tell you exactly how to get there, but go into the audio menu for your cable box and make sure that it's passing through dd without downmixing it...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #8781 of 17104 Old 05-07-2009, 11:55 AM

Liked: 19
Good afternoon everyone, I currently have a Yamaha RX V800 which i bought back in 2001. I still love it but I was wondering, am I miss out because I havent upgrade my receiver in 8 years. I also don't have any hdmi input capability for my Yamaha.

I currently have Epson 6500UB projector, Wii, PS3, Xbox360, Directv HD, Samsung 71" DLP tv, 350 DVD movies and 10 blu-ray movies.

I mainly use my Yamaha RX V800 receiver for movies and video games, so my question is will I notice a big different if I purchase the Pioneer SC 09?

Thx for any input guys.

Femi
post #8782 of 17104 Old 05-07-2009, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Femi;
Are you sure you mean the SC-09? That's a whole different class of AVR with MSRP of $7000....
http://pioneerusa.com/PUSA/Products/...i.SC-09TX.Kuro
The answer is a definite YES.
If you mean the SC-05 or SC-07, the answer is a definite yes as well.
The newest codecs TrueHD MA DTSHD MA for one.. HDMI connections.. ICE Amps, etc.
7.1 vs 6 channel..
We're kinda biased towards the SC units.
The SCs are FANTASTIC for Music and Home Theater...

Quite honestly, I believe you will hear a difference with any of the newer AVRs, Yamaha, Denon and Pioneer, compared to your present one
Your best option is to audition the ones you are interested in with speakers similar to yours and decide for yourself...

You may want to check out the members review section on the first page..
I see 6 members on page one that changed from various Yamahas
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...4#post14864114
and another two on page 2:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...0#post15593970

Spec-wise:
Here's your present AVR:
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...ETYP=ATTRIBUTE
here are the specs for the SC-05 and SC-07:
http://pioneerusa.com/PUSA/Products/...-05.Kuro?tab=B
http://pioneerusa.com/PUSA/Products/...-07.Kuro?tab=B

If you have specific questions, we'll be glad to try to answer them.
The first page should provide you a little better insight to the SC-05 and SC-07... Good luck!

post #8783 of 17104 Old 05-07-2009, 01:19 PM

Liked: 19
I am sorry I meant SC 07. Thanks for the links CHP_VR
post #8784 of 17104 Old 05-07-2009, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

hmmm...

let start with a potential setup issue and then go from there...

if you have dhcp set to "auto", you shouldn't be entering an ip address... entering an ip address is forcing the unit "out" of auto mode... the only time you would want to enter a static ip address is if you aren't running the dhcp server on your router, which would be unusual (i.e. you manually maintain static ip addresses on your LAN, in which case the "auto" setting would have no effect)...

go back into setup and change your "static ip address" back to 0.0.0.0... then give it a shot and see what you get... note: after you do this, make sure you click the "automatic (dhcp)" option when it brings you back to the submenu... "technically speaking", one would make the assumption that if you set the ip address to something non-addressable (0.0.0.0), that the firmware in the unit would default back to "auto", but assumptions tend to come back and bite you in the behind...

we'll get you squared away...

So you see, I need networking for dummies! Ok, I went back & tried to reset the IP to all 0's & it will not let me. "out of range" is the message I get. The DCHP is still on automatic. Do I need to do a reset (groan)?

Carl Jones
post #8785 of 17104 Old 05-07-2009, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Jones View Post

So you see, I need networking for dummies! Ok, I went back & tried to reset the IP to all 0's & it will not let me. "out of range" is the message I get. The DCHP is still on automatic. Do I need to do a reset (groan)?

nah, not "networking for dummies"... trust me... there isn't anything i haven't done wrong at least once (and sometimes multiple times)...

no, you shouldn't have to do a hard reset... plenty more things to try before resorting to the big hammer fix...

it's always going to display "dhcp auto"... this is an "either/or" thing, not "both"... scroll to "dhcp auto" and click enter (if you go back into that page, you'll see "dhcp auto" is on top now)... that should get you back in "auto" mode and make it ignore whatever you put in for the ip address...

try that, and let's see what happens...

edit: you might find some of this stuff helpful...

- chris

post #8786 of 17104 Old 05-07-2009, 03:01 PM

The Xcurve setting should be modified before or after running the MCAAC ??? Since my room is around 2000 cc, I think my XCurve setting at -2.5.
post #8787 of 17104 Old 05-07-2009, 03:24 PM

hey guys, my question is for any 05/07 owners that have the HR21 HD DVR from Directv. When I sometimes exit from a recording, or have deleted it, I sometimes encountered what it appeared to be handshake issue possibly. the screen all of a sudden shrink its size, and only showed in the left 2/3 region of the screen. the right 1/3 of the screen is just black. sometimes changing a channel would solve the issue. other times, I would have to turn off the the HR21. and turn back on, and it would look right again.

I wanted to know if other HR21 owners might also have this issue? my connection is HDMI out from HR21 into the SC05 into HDMI 1 slot. Thanks.
post #8788 of 17104 Old 05-07-2009, 03:35 PM

i have my xbox 360 hooked up thru component cables now do i need to run another set to the tv or does it send signal thru the hdmi cable?
post #8789 of 17104 Old 05-07-2009, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No worries, Nel07, your AVR will handle it through the HDMI.

Just tell it where you want it sent.. (See post 8766 and post 8770)

post #8790 of 17104 Old 05-07-2009, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanu View Post

What should be my ideal xcurve settings. Here is my room layout

I had Xcurve at 0. Maybe is shud be at -2.5 I guess.

Room height : 9-10ft

I think my subwoofer placement is horrible. I might have to make some room on the left side of the room.

X-Curve is based upon psycho-acoustic analysis and large room environments. I would suggest that you try -2 to start, then play with a range -.5 to -3.5 I will bet you end up near -1 to -1.5 at most. (Actually what speakers do you have and are they toed in or straight?)

Here is a non-complex article discussing its origins:
http://www.micasamm.com/publications/surround_0100b.htm

This one actually gives a very clean perspective:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...es-6-2002.html

Use a test source - after each adjustment - with LOTS of HIGH FREQUENCIES since the X-curve was implemented with those in mind. An opera with Arias, music with lots of high hat/cymbals (good jazz trios work nicely). Even a little Maria Carey might work. Let the SC warm up for 30 minutes on some other netral piece before each listening session. You should listen to a mix of tracks over a 10-15 minute listening period and repeat that same sequence twice for each adjustment before adjusting again. Treat it like a MCACC calibration, quiet, just you and no other presence in the room and your favorite position in the room with speakers in their final positions.

Now for some unsolicited room layout advice:

1) I would recommend moving the sub to the left (seems it is in the right front by the doorway right now?). I would move it front of or behind your left front speaker (I can't tell what's already there) and re-running MCACC first before you adjust the X-Curve. When you do step 2 you will have plenty of room. Given the size of your room some addtional bass reinforcement could not hurt.

2) I would move the entertainment center over to the right to match the middle of the couch and the room - almost. Then you can move that Right Speaker over (Right) for better imaging. Alternatively I would move the couch a bit to the left to improve imaging off axis.

3) Buy 2.0 speakers for your system for the SBR/SBL. Your room with that 7-8 feet behind the couch is PERFECT for a 7.1 system. Consider two more speakers and you will be in surround heaven. If you have unipole for your surround side you could move those to the back, set up a THX ASA speaker array (separated by less than 4 feet), and purchase maching dipoles for the sides. Then you would be just amazed. Alternatively two more unipoles in back would do wonders also...

Oh what fun...

Isn't it time someone promoted quality as value?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page