Official Pioneer SC-05 and SC-07 Owners Thread - Page 294 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8791 of 17097 Old 05-07-2009, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
No worries, Nel07, your AVR will handle it through the HDMI.

Just tell it where you want it sent.. (See post 8766 and post 8770)

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8792 of 17097 Old 05-07-2009, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanu View Post

What should be my ideal xcurve settings. Here is my room layout

I had Xcurve at 0. Maybe is shud be at -2.5 I guess.

Room height : 9-10ft

I think my subwoofer placement is horrible. I might have to make some room on the left side of the room.

X-Curve is based upon psycho-acoustic analysis and large room environments. I would suggest that you try -2 to start, then play with a range -.5 to -3.5 I will bet you end up near -1 to -1.5 at most. (Actually what speakers do you have and are they toed in or straight?)

Here is a non-complex article discussing its origins:
http://www.micasamm.com/publications/surround_0100b.htm

This one actually gives a very clean perspective:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...es-6-2002.html

Use a test source - after each adjustment - with LOTS of HIGH FREQUENCIES since the X-curve was implemented with those in mind. An opera with Arias, music with lots of high hat/cymbals (good jazz trios work nicely). Even a little Maria Carey might work. Let the SC warm up for 30 minutes on some other netral piece before each listening session. You should listen to a mix of tracks over a 10-15 minute listening period and repeat that same sequence twice for each adjustment before adjusting again. Treat it like a MCACC calibration, quiet, just you and no other presence in the room and your favorite position in the room with speakers in their final positions.

Now for some unsolicited room layout advice:

1) I would recommend moving the sub to the left (seems it is in the right front by the doorway right now?). I would move it front of or behind your left front speaker (I can't tell what's already there) and re-running MCACC first before you adjust the X-Curve. When you do step 2 you will have plenty of room. Given the size of your room some addtional bass reinforcement could not hurt.

2) I would move the entertainment center over to the right to match the middle of the couch and the room - almost. Then you can move that Right Speaker over (Right) for better imaging. Alternatively I would move the couch a bit to the left to improve imaging off axis.

3) Buy 2.0 speakers for your system for the SBR/SBL. Your room with that 7-8 feet behind the couch is PERFECT for a 7.1 system. Consider two more speakers and you will be in surround heaven. If you have unipole for your surround side you could move those to the back, set up a THX ASA speaker array (separated by less than 4 feet), and purchase maching dipoles for the sides. Then you would be just amazed. Alternatively two more unipoles in back would do wonders also...

Oh what fun...

Isn't it time someone promoted quality as value?
post #8793 of 17097 Old 05-07-2009, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Interesting article from HIFI News by Paul Miller on PQLS with the SC-07(SC-LX81) and BDP-LX91 (BPD-09FD)
http://www.zinio.com/pages/Hi-FiNews...06080009/pg-32
(credit for link to ssak in the SC-09 thread)

post #8794 of 17097 Old 05-07-2009, 06:24 PM

ok i got sound to play through components but no video...
post #8795 of 17097 Old 05-07-2009, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

Interesting article from HIFI News by Paul Miller on PQLS with the SC-07(SC-LX81) and BDP-LX91 (BPD-09FD)
http://www.zinio.com/pages/Hi-FiNews...06080009/pg-32
(credit for link to ssak in the SC-09 thread)

Interesting read. Thanks Charles. I wish he commented on the playback speakers and test material.

I believe the PQLS or similar system in the 59AVi-49/59TXi combo is fantastic via Firewire. I do believe it is multi-channel in that implementation though (not just two channel and 44.1khz dependent) but I am not sure.

post #8796 of 17097 Old 05-07-2009, 06:28 PM

CHP_VR Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts on my problem I was having with my SC07. You were exactly right - somehow the resolution on my player was changed from 1080i to 1080p. My TV doesn't support 1080p so the receiver was communicating the problem. I would have thought that it would have passed the 1080p to the TV and the TV would have indicated a problem. I changed the player to 1080i and so far all is well. I've been a long-time lurker on this forum and appreciate all of the helpful information.

Cheers.
post #8797 of 17097 Old 05-07-2009, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

nah, not "networking for dummies"... trust me... there isn't anything i haven't done wrong at least once (and sometimes multiple times)...

no, you shouldn't have to do a hard reset... plenty more things to try before resorting to the big hammer fix...

it's always going to display "dhcp auto"... this is an "either/or" thing, not "both"... scroll to "dhcp auto" and click enter (if you go back into that page, you'll see "dhcp auto" is on top now)... that should get you back in "auto" mode and make it ignore whatever you put in for the ip address...

try that, and let's see what happens...

edit: you might find some of this stuff helpful...

I will check that out, I had thought that was Mac specific. Ok, DCHP IS on top & auto, still same problem. However, I'm wondering if I set up the WAP correctly? I do not see it on my computer. Shouldn't I? Although I don't see my PS3 either.

Carl Jones
post #8798 of 17097 Old 05-08-2009, 04:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Jones View Post

I will check that out, I had thought that was Mac specific. Ok, DCHP IS on top & auto, still same problem. However, I'm wondering if I set up the WAP correctly? I do not see it on my computer. Shouldn't I? Although I don't see my PS3 either.

well, if your sc can join the network (which it seems to be able to), the wap is probably set up correctly... as far as being able to "see" it, if you go to "network neighborhood" (or whatever it's called in windows these days), you should be able to "see" everything that is on the network... you probably won't "see" the wap itself, but you should see what is connected to it...

next step is to check the router setup... it's possible it's either blocking outgoing connections, or needs some "massaging"... what router do you have?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #8799 of 17097 Old 05-08-2009, 04:55 AM

Quote:

well, if your sc can join the network (which it seems to be able to), the wap is probably set up correctly... as far as being able to "see" it, if you go to "network neighborhood" (or whatever it's called in windows these days), you should be able to "see" everything that is on the network... you probably won't "see" the wap itself, but you should see what is connected to it...

next step is to check the router setup... it's possible it's either blocking outgoing connections, or needs some "massaging"... what router do you have?

Carl,

Did you ever see a request on your PC from Windows Media (Player or Connect in the bottom right status bar) to allow your 05 to access to your media files? If not, turn on HMG again then go to your PC and see if you see a new icon in your status bar asking you to allow it access. I had the same issue you did not realizing that my PC needed me to intervene. It was only by accident I noticed this new icon in the status bar and clicked on it then everything worked fine. I happened to have HMConnect installed on my PC but I'm assuming the same thing happens with Player as well.
post #8800 of 17097 Old 05-08-2009, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso View Post

Interesting read. Thanks Charles. I wish he commented on the playback speakers and test material.

I believe the PQLS or similar system in the 59AVi-49/59TXi combo is fantastic via Firewire. I do believe it is multi-channel in that implementation though (not just two channel and 44.1khz dependent) but I am not sure.

eldit....jitter control/reduction was multi-channel with i-link (firewire) in the 59 AVi. PQLS is "only" offered with 2 channels with the current crop of Pio BD players. Although, that looks like it may change here shortly.

Plus, I don't know if there are different "flavors" of jitter control.

I will say the 59 AVi was one of the best sounding (if not THE BEST) DVD players I had ever encountered. Hard to do a comparison since there are so many other variables involved. 59AVi had HDMI (1.1, I believe). But, couldn't transmit hi-rez audio over HDMI. But, it did have i-link. That could transmit hi-rez audio.

BDP01/51 (not sure about the 09) can transmit both HD video and hi-rez audio via HDMI.

5 years ago, the 59 AVi was one of the best DVD players on the market. I'd go so far as to say it was also one of the best sounding, too.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #8801 of 17097 Old 05-08-2009, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nels07 View Post

Nels....we need more info. What's your display? What are your source components? How are they hooked up?

post #8802 of 17097 Old 05-08-2009, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soggydollarbar View Post

I am a new Sc-05 owner. I am having trouble getting my receiver to recognize my digital signal from my cable box. It will only play in the stereo mode. I had it working just fine and i must of switched something.

I am connected through digital optical cable from cable box to SC-05.

My Blu Ray plays in digital just can't seem to get anything else in digital?

Thanks in advance.

Should PCM be displayed at all times on my SC-05?
post #8803 of 17097 Old 05-08-2009, 05:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

a bit more detail needed...

do you mean "regardless of source" or "specific to certain sources"?

for example, if i decode a codec in the player, i get "pcm" on the display of the sc... that would be the "expected" behaviour...

did you go back and check your cable box audio options as previously suggested?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #8804 of 17097 Old 05-08-2009, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

with PS3, it will.
post #8805 of 17097 Old 05-08-2009, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPop View Post

CHP_VR Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts on my problem I was having with my SC07. You were exactly right - somehow the resolution on my player was changed from 1080i to 1080p. My TV doesn't support 1080p so the receiver was communicating the problem. I would have thought that it would have passed the 1080p to the TV and the TV would have indicated a problem. I changed the player to 1080i and so far all is well. I've been a long-time lurker on this forum and appreciate all of the helpful information.

Cheers.

Hey GeoPop!

Glad you were able to get it resolved.
HDMI does have it's challenges

Welcome to the ICE Club!
Quit lurking and join in the fray!

post #8806 of 17097 Old 05-08-2009, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i have my xbox 360 hooked up thru component cables now do i need to run another set to the tv or does it send signal thru the hdmi cable?

Quote:

Nels07;
Like graphicguy said, we need a bit more information...

Can you tell us exactly how you have it connected to the SC?
What inputs on the AVR are you using for component and audio.
Also, there may be settings on your XBOX that have to be changed...
Quite a few members here with Xboxes that can share their configurations.

post #8807 of 17097 Old 05-08-2009, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a linksys router (connected with desktop) and WAP. My laptop & PS3 operate fine. I do not "see" everything (or probably just don't know how to do it on my desktop. Desktop is running XP pro v 3. Laptop is Visa 64. Wife's laptop also xp pro. Vista is pretty straight forward (for me) & "sees" my desktop when on as well as the lynksys router but doesn't see the PS3. My desktop only "sees" my laptop for items I have set up for sharing.

Carl Jones
post #8808 of 17097 Old 05-08-2009, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvab View Post

Carl,

Did you ever see a request on your PC from Windows Media (Player or Connect in the bottom right status bar) to allow your 05 to access to your media files? If not, turn on HMG again then go to your PC and see if you see a new icon in your status bar asking you to allow it access. I had the same issue you did not realizing that my PC needed me to intervene. It was only by accident I noticed this new icon in the status bar and clicked on it then everything worked fine. I happened to have HMConnect installed on my PC but I'm assuming the same thing happens with Player as well.

I do not have windows media (xp pro) on my desktop but I have not gone upstairs to my desktop to see if anything pops up when I've tried to access HMG. I'll do that & let you know. Thanks for the input!

Carl Jones
post #8809 of 17097 Old 05-08-2009, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvab View Post

Carl,

I just did as you suggested & ran upstairs to check my desktop & there's not anything new.

Carl Jones
post #8810 of 17097 Old 05-08-2009, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a linksys router (connected with desktop) and WAP. My laptop & PS3 operate fine. I do not "see" everything (or probably just don't know how to do it on my desktop. Desktop is running XP pro v 3. Laptop is Visa 64. Wife's laptop also xp pro. Vista is pretty straight forward (for me) & "sees" my desktop when on as well as the lynksys router but doesn't see the PS3. My desktop only "sees" my laptop for items I have set up for sharing.

ah, Xp and Vista... have you looked here as well, Carl Jones?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...9#post16031129
I think you will want to make sure it can communicate with another computer. Besides, I'm sure you'll want to be able to access photos or music at some point, and if nothing else, that would verify it's having no problems with your network.. It may be "finding" the network, but may not have access to network or internet....

post #8811 of 17097 Old 05-08-2009, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

eldithomaso;

Thanks for the links and explaination..
Added to the front page :Xcurve and room sample by eldithomaso

post #8812 of 17097 Old 05-08-2009, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Now for some unsolicited room layout advice:

1) I would recommend moving the sub to the left (seems it is in the right front by the doorway right now?). I would move it front of or behind your left front speaker (I can't tell what's already there) and re-running MCACC first before you adjust the X-Curve. When you do step 2 you will have plenty of room. Given the size of your room some addtional bass reinforcement could not hurt.

2) I would move the entertainment center over to the right to match the middle of the couch and the room - almost. Then you can move that Right Speaker over (Right) for better imaging. Alternatively I would move the couch a bit to the left to improve imaging off axis.

3) Buy 2.0 speakers for your system for the SBR/SBL. Your room with that 7-8 feet behind the couch is PERFECT for a 7.1 system. Consider two more speakers and you will be in surround heaven. If you have unipole for your surround side you could move those to the back, set up a THX ASA speaker array (separated by less than 4 feet), and purchase maching dipoles for the sides. Then you would be just amazed. Alternatively two more unipoles in back would do wonders also...

Oh what fun...

Hi icemanu,

I recommend trying to flop your entire setup so that the display and mains are against the far left wall in your sketch. It's important that the main and center speakers have symmetry with respect to side walls so that early side reflections have similar delay and attenuation. With your current setup, not only can you not center the setup along the long central axis of your room, but there is also a large early reflection imbalance due to your doorway openings.

Even more fun...

-Darrell
post #8813 of 17097 Old 05-08-2009, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

eldit....jitter control/reduction was multi-channel with i-link (firewire) in the 59 AVi. PQLS is "only" offered with 2 channels with the current crop of Pio BD players. Although, that looks like it may change here shortly.
...I will say the 59 AVi was one of the best sounding (if not THE BEST) DVD players I had ever encountered. ... But, it did have i-link. That could transmit hi-rez audio.

BDP01/51 (not sure about the 09) can transmit both HD video and hi-rez audio via HDMI.

5 years ago, the 59 AVi was one of the best DVD players on the market. I'd go so far as to say it was also one of the best sounding, too.

Remember for now we don't get hi rez SACD/DVD-A through the 51/05/09. That is really a deal braker for me on the 09. I thought the 59AVi did multil channel PQLS/Jitter control over I-link. That's why I bought one. I have to say it still is my best CD/DVD-A/SACD player to date.

Quote:

eldithomaso;

Thanks for the links and explaination..
Added to the front page :Xcurve and room sample by eldithomaso

Charles:

Did you order a 59AVi? Did you connect it to your SC-09TX? If so impressions vs your other players? I am so tempted to get an SC-09TX and connect a 23 and my 59AVi if it gets Multichannel PQLS for BD (though I know the 09 has some form of jitter control built in for HDMI already) but I won't pay over 3k for it. I have to wait for the price to drop or find a demo somwhere else the wife will kill me.

post #8814 of 17097 Old 05-08-2009, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Charles:

Did you order a 59AVi? Did you connect it to your SC-09TX? If so impressions vs your other players? I am so tempted to get an SC-09TX and connect a 23 and my 59AVi if it gets Multichannel PQLS for BD (though I know the 09 has some form of jitter control built in for HDMI already) but I won't pay over 3k for it. I have to wait for the price to drop or find a demo somwhere else the wife will kill me.

According to FedEx, I should have it tomorrow!

I'm excited about it! ss9001 has it with his SC-09 and wrote a really good review on it in the SC-09 threads.
ss9001:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...i#post15635010
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...i#post15709099
Dragnet:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post15639356

It may be a while before it ever hits the 3k mark (add about a little under 2K to that price for the avg. "good deal" today), eldithomaso .. it could very well remain the flagship through 2010/11..
Though there's some anticipated (read: Hopefulness) that there may be some updates for it to allow FLAC support and PQLS over HDMI as early as this month...
Might want to check the SC-09 threads periodically, a lot of the people change receivers there like unmentionables.
If I hear of one, I'll post a link or something

On another note, one of the things I dearly miss is PQLS with the SC-07 and BDP-51...

post #8815 of 17097 Old 05-08-2009, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Remember for now we don't get hi rez SACD/DVD-A through the 51/05/09. That is really a deal braker for me on the 09. I thought the 59AVi did multil channel PQLS/Jitter control over I-link. That's why I bought one. I have to say it still is my best CD/DVD-A/SACD player to date.

Charles:

Eldit....I don't recall the 59 AVi having PQLS over i-link. But, it's been awhile since I had it in my system. For the record, here are the specs...

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...AVi.Kuro?tab=A

Charles.....I'm anxious to hear your impressions. Congrats!

post #8816 of 17097 Old 05-08-2009, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

Eldit....I don't recall the 59 AVi having PQLS over i-link. But, it's been awhile since I had it in my system. For the record, here are the specs...

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...AVi.Kuro?tab=A

Charles.....I'm anxious to hear your impressions. Congrats!

Thanks Graphicguy!

BTW, I blame all of you for these upgrade fits

There was a time I was completely happy in my own world with my 1997 receiver....... Thanks for bursting my bubble!

New receivers (SC-07/SC-09), new speakers (B&W and Atlantic Techs), new display (KURO), new Bluray player (51FD), new DVD Player (DV410), new Subwoofer (HSU), new PEQ BFD (Berhenger) , new wiring, now another new DVD player (DV-59AVi)! all in less than a year (and I'm sure left out some stuff)....

Dang, reading this, I better do something nice for my wife this weekend...
Other than giving me dirty looks when something's not working correctly when she tries to use the remote... she's been 100% supportive with my toys....

As for the PQLS over iLink on the DV-59AVi, though:
59AVi manual: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...9AVi.Protected
Page 8:

Page:21
When playing DVD-Audio, CD or SACD
discs over i.LINK, the digital audio is jitterless
if the connected receiver is compatible with
PQLS (rate control). See the operating
instructions that came with your receiver for
information on compatibility with this feature.

page:91
PQLS (Precision Quartz Lock System)
[rate control]
Technology for high-precision transmission of
digital audio over the i.LINK interface
enabling jitterless digital-to-analog conversion
using a precision quartz in the rate
control-compatible receiver.

post #8817 of 17097 Old 05-08-2009, 10:59 AM

Carl,

You can also try downloading Kinsky, or ustream:
http://oss.linn.co.uk/trac/wiki/Kinsky
http://sites.google.com/site/ustreamhome/

and see if it can see your receiver. You probably won't be able to control the receiver as the SC series does not appear to accept control directives properly, but it may help you determine if the receiver is on the network.

Quote:

I just did as you suggested & ran upstairs to check my desktop & there's not anything new.

post #8818 of 17097 Old 05-08-2009, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Graphicguy!

BTW, I blame all of you for these upgrade fits

There was a time I was completely happy in my own world with my 1997 receiver....... Thanks for bursting my bubble!

New receivers (SC-07/SC-09), new speakers (B&W and Atlantic Techs), new display (KURO), new Bluray player (51FD), new DVD Player (DV410), new Subwoofer (HSU), new PEQ BFD (Berhenger) , new wiring, now another new DVD player (DV-59AVi)! all in less than a year (and I'm sure left out some stuff)....

Dang, reading this, I better do something nice for my wife this weekend...
Other than giving me dirty looks when something's not working correctly when she tries to use the remote... she's been 100% supportive with my toys....

As for the PQLS over iLink on the DV-59AVi, though:
59AVi manual: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...9AVi.Protected
Page 8:

Page:21
When playing DVD-Audio, CD or SACD
discs over i.LINK, the digital audio is jitterless
if the connected receiver is compatible with
PQLS (rate control). See the operating
instructions that came with your receiver for
information on compatibility with this feature.

page:91
PQLS (Precision Quartz Lock System)
[rate control]
Technology for high-precision transmission of
digital audio over the i.LINK interface
enabling jitterless digital-to-analog conversion
using a precision quartz in the rate
control-compatible receiver.

Yes, you better cause I am sure you are not done or ever will be done upgrading stuff.

Juan

My HT
post #8819 of 17097 Old 05-08-2009, 12:07 PM

I tried searching, so I apologize if this is in the thread already...

Can I re-assign the power-amps so that they use some of the multi-channel inputs, but do not get affected by any processing.
I have some Linkwitz Orion speakers that are now powered by a Rotel 8x40W amp. I'd like to use 4 of the SC-07 channels to power the bass modules and use the Rotel in bridge mode for the other 4 channels. This would give me more headroom...
I currently have the SC-07 powering the center and surrounds. I am using the front pre-amp outs and the LFE out the Orion crossover and subwoofer respectively.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Dale
post #8820 of 17097 Old 05-08-2009, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am so tempted to get an SC-09TX and connect a 23 and my 59AVi if it gets Multichannel PQLS for BD (though I know the 09 has some form of jitter control built in for HDMI already) but I won't pay over 3k for it. I have to wait for the price to drop or find a demo somwhere else the wife will kill me.

Talk about timing....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAN O View Post

SC-09
just wanted people to know Pioneer just slashed the price on this like crazy. Not many out there but I sure did not expect this.
ROMAN O
AVS Forum Sponsor
BuyBestPlasma

Most of you know Romano and even got your SC-05 and SC-07 from him..
Good AVS sponsor.
Have no idea of the pricing, but you may want to send him PM

edit:
Additional info.. question from a member answered:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAN O View Post

I have not heard anything from Pioneer about something new. I just think its a special from a distributor that had many in stock so not everyone will have access to this.
BTW PM sent.

Looks like an opportunity... Apologies of OT.. but have seen several posts here indicating interest.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page