Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post

Oye! Toots horn.... There is one here.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/vbcla...do=ad&id=10228

They will pry my dead cold fingers off my 09, well at least until the 10 comes out.

Ray:

He's in Atlanta and your ad on the AVS Classifieds says "local pickup" only. Perhaps if you change that you might find some takers. I imagine there aren't many in Corona/Riverside/Rubidou/Mira Loma right now with our lovely economy.

I nearly came to see you for that 09 when it was posted last month but it was over budget.

I am glad to see we have another source for the 07 and 09s.

Isn't it time someone promoted quality as value?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8852 of 17105 Old 05-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Ray
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso View Post

Ray:

He's in Atlanta and your add says "local pickup" only. Perhaps if you change that you might find some takers. I imagine there aren't many in Corona/Riverside/Rubidou/Mira Loma right now with our lovely economy.

I nearly came to see you for that 09 when it was posted last month but it was over budget.

I am glad to see we have another source for the 07 and 09s.

This is the last 07 I have with no possibility to get anymore as stock is now dried up. I sure hope they announce a successor to the 07 that will not be a step backwards but am feeling a little leary as not one peep has come out about new product.
post #8853 of 17105 Old 05-09-2009, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post

I sure hope they announce a successor to the 07 that will not be a step backwards but am feeling a little leary as not one peep has come out about new product.

And the new BD players are out. Supposedly the BDP23 with the multichannel PQLS needs a new receiver to use it. There's nothing on Pioneer JP site to suggest new ones are ready to go.

But dwindling inventory may be a sign they're getting ready.

I just hope they aren't planning on replacing the SC-09 this soon. That would not be typical of them - plus I've blown my 2009-2010 electronics budget on Pioneer products already I will take a hardware-firmware upgrade though if they offer one.

ss9001

Steve
post #8854 of 17105 Old 05-09-2009, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
FWIW when I visited 6ave Electronics, the salesman showed me their inventory, in the computer, on the SC-07's and during the height of their SC-07 name your price sale, they had 547 SC-07's alone. They were all in the warehouse and not in their 15 or so stores. Not so sure how many they have now. I would call them and see if they are willing to sell at a low price. With that many they are going to have to dump these things pretty soon.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer Elite SC-07, SC-05 Receivers
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
NHT VT-2.4 Surround System
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
post #8855 of 17105 Old 05-09-2009, 04:15 PM

I just bought a SC-05 for my Dad and was looking to get an inexpensive 5.1 home theater speaker package (~$500 to $600 if possible) for him since he's not an audiophile.

The reason why I bought the receiver for my Dad was that it was an incredible deal. I originally thought this was a pretty straightforward thing and tried shopping for speakers that handled up to 130W. A person at Best Buy asked me if the SC-05 output was RMS or not. I told him I did not recollect it being advertised as 130W RMS.

After some web surfing, he couldn't find whether it was RMS or not, but he explained the 130W must be implying RMS given the class of receiver this is.

So as a noob, what is the absolute minimum requirement I need to follow so as to not blow any speakers through this receiver?

The owner's manual states for the amplifier section for continuous power at 8 ohms that the channels get 140W. At 6 ohms it is 180W. Then in parenthesis it states 130W at 8 ohms.

My Dad doesn't have house parties, but he may occasionally turn the volume up for a good action or sci-fi flick. Any words of wisdom on properly matching a speaker to this awesome receiver is greatly appreciated.

post #8856 of 17105 Old 05-09-2009, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

^^
Speakers are far likely to be damaged by not enough amp power than too much. If the amp is too small, and volume is high enough, the amp could be driven into clipping & the resulting signal distortion could blow or damage tweeters.

You'll be just fine with the SC-05 especially if his speakers are rated at 130 for 8 ohms. That's a pretty normal load for amps.

There are owners of inefficient speakers like Magnepans, which are "rated" for 250 watts typical use, that routinely drive them with 500 or more. They need lots of power, the more the better to sound their best.

It would be nice if all receiver & amp companies still used RMS watts as their spec, but that means they have to publish lower numbers so many times they don't or don't say at all. 130 watts RMS could be published as a much higher number if its peak or only rated at 1kHz. Pioneer doesn't specifically say RMS & my guess its some hybridization. I haven't seen a company spec say RMS in a long time. Pioneer's amp ratings for the Elites are typically pretty on the money real world. If your dad is going to hookup a full 7.1 system, the real world per channel power for all channels will be less than the 130. If he hooks up only stereo, he'll get more than the rated max power per channel. It's limited by the internal power supply.

Without getting too technical, I hope this helps.

ss9001

Steve
post #8857 of 17105 Old 05-09-2009, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckAtZero View Post

I just bought a SC-05 for my Dad and was looking to get an inexpensive 5.1 home theater speaker package (~$500 to $600 if possible) for him since he's not an audiophile.

The reason why I bought the receiver for my Dad was that it was an incredible deal. I originally thought this was a pretty straightforward thing and tried shopping for speakers that handled up to 130W. A person at Best Buy asked me if the SC-05 output was RMS or not. I told him I did not recollect it being advertised as 130W RMS.

After some web surfing, he couldn't find whether it was RMS or not, but he explained the 130W must be implying RMS given the class of receiver this is.

So as a noob, what is the absolute minimum requirement I need to follow so as to not blow any speakers through this receiver?

The owner's manual states for the amplifier section for continuous power at 8 ohms that the channels get 140W. At 6 ohms it is 180W. Then in parenthesis it states 130W at 8 ohms.

My Dad doesn't have house parties, but he may occasionally turn the volume up for a good action or sci-fi flick. Any words of wisdom on properly matching a speaker to this awesome receiver is greatly appreciated.

Don't worry about it.

The SC-05 power rating is RMS (for lay purposes the same as the FTC standard), but speaker power ratings are not very meaningful. And even if they were, chances are your dad will rarely exceed 10 watts on peaks, even on his sci-fi flicks. (I almost never do.) 10 watts RMS would probably drive him out of the room (an average of roughly 100dB, like a printing press or a loud car horn).

You can safely use the SC-05 with any speaker you are likely to consider (alhough it truly deserves something better than a $500 set ).
post #8858 of 17105 Old 05-09-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

Don't worry about it.

The SC-05 power rating is RMS (for lay purposes the same as the FTC standard), but speaker power ratings are not very meaningful. And even if they were, chances are your dad will rarely exceed 10 watts on peaks, even on his sci-fi flicks. (I almost never do.) 10 watts RMS would probably drive him out of the room (an average of roughly 100dB, like a printing press or a loud car horn).

You can safely use the SC-05 with any speaker you are likely to consider (alhough it truly deserves something better than a $500 set ).

+1
Orb Audio, a frequent advertiser on this forum, makes as good an inexpensive set as there is - either their Mod 1 or Mod 1 plus.
I have nothing to gain by recommending them. Briefly owned an Orb Mod 2 center speaker connected to my SC 05 and for the price it was quite sweet. Ended up staying with a higher end speaker, but beyond the $$ of OP.
The MCACC will make the best of even inexpensive speakers (like my surrounds ).
post #8859 of 17105 Old 05-09-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

^^
Speakers are far likely to be damaged by not enough amp power than too much. If the amp is too small, and volume is high enough, the amp could be driven into clipping & the resulting signal distortion could blow or damage tweeters.

You'll be just fine with the SC-05 especially if his speakers are rated at 130 for 8 ohms. That's a pretty normal load for amps.

Without getting too technical, I hope this helps.

ss9001

I think you misunderstand my question.... I wasn't asking whether or not the SC-05 is a sufficient receiver for some hypothetical speakers.

I got my Dad the SC-05 already. He needs speakers. He won't know anything exotic outside of what Best Buy or Wal-Mart may sell.

That being said, I have these speakers laying around and it sounds like you're saying they're perfectly safe to turn on the SC-05. Is this correct?

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId=11035267

post #8860 of 17105 Old 05-09-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

Don't worry about it.

Do you mean any speaker (regardless of maximum wattage)? I have a set of Sony SA-VE535H home theater speakers I could give him, but they are rated at a max of 120W.... a little shy of 130W.

Not to mention if the receiver is rated for a max of 130W in 7.1, doesn't that mean the receiver will output more per channel at 5.1 (which is all that my Dad is wanting to run)

I totally understand that the receiver deserves something far better than a $500 set of speakers. But keep in mind I was in a position to choose between a receiver whose MSRP was $800, or I could have gotten a receiver whose MSRP is $1,800 but got it for $800. Which would you do? Regardless of which receiver is purchased, my Dad's target price is $500 for home theater speakers... maybe up to $700... but absolutely nothing more than that.

But if we're only talking 10W, you're basically telling me that wattage rating on speakers is pointless and that any speaker I buy will not likely be blown on this receiver (if I understand you correctly).

post #8861 of 17105 Old 05-09-2009, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I think you misunderstand my question.... I wasn't asking whether or not the SC-05 is a sufficient receiver for some hypothetical speakers.

I got my Dad the SC-05 already. He needs speakers. He won't know anything exotic outside of what Best Buy or Wal-Mart may sell.

That being said, I have these speakers laying around and it sounds like you're saying they're perfectly safe to turn on the SC-05. Is this correct?

Those should be fine, StuckAtZero

Here's the manual if you need it.
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/SAVE535H.PDF

Your dad is going to love it!
have fun!

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
post #8862 of 17105 Old 05-10-2009, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

..That being said, I have these speakers laying around and it sounds like you're saying they're perfectly safe to turn on the SC-05. Is this correct?

Sorry I misunderstood your original question.

Yes, those speakers will be fine with the SC-05

ss9001

Steve
post #8863 of 17105 Old 05-10-2009, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

..But if we're only talking 10W, you're basically telling me that wattage rating on speakers is pointless and that any speaker I buy will not likely be blown on this receiver (if I understand you correctly).

That's a good practical way to say it. Even at peaks that approach the amp's rated power, the power is only momentary. The speaker set you linked to also includes a powered sub, so low bass which sucks the most power, will be taken off the receiver's amp load & rest of the speakers won't see most large power peaks.

Actually most of the time it is quite hard to blow speakers. I've only seen it once, when I was in college a long time ago....guy blew his Bose 901's (Bose was a different speaker co. back then - the 901's actually were well thought of) by feeding them an oscilloscope signal.

Your dad will be getting a nice setup thanks to you. If he decides in the future to upgrade speakers, he'll be ready with the SC-05

ss9001

Steve
post #8864 of 17105 Old 05-10-2009, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

Do you mean any speaker (regardless of maximum wattage)? I have a set of Sony SA-VE535H home theater speakers I could give him, but they are rated at a max of 120W.... a little shy of 130W.

Not to mention if the receiver is rated for a max of 130W in 7.1, doesn't that mean the receiver will output more per channel at 5.1 (which is all that my Dad is wanting to run)

I totally understand that the receiver deserves something far better than a $500 set of speakers. But keep in mind I was in a position to choose between a receiver whose MSRP was $800, or I could have gotten a receiver whose MSRP is $1,800 but got it for $800. Which would you do? Regardless of which receiver is purchased, my Dad's target price is $500 for home theater speakers... maybe up to $700... but absolutely nothing more than that.

But if we're only talking 10W, you're basically telling me that wattage rating on speakers is pointless and that any speaker I buy will not likely be blown on this receiver (if I understand you correctly).

it doesn't matter if the amp is rated at 1000w and the speaker is rated at 5w...

amplifiers don't blow speakers... people turning the volume knob too far clockwise on the amplifier blow speakers...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #8865 of 17105 Old 05-10-2009, 06:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Actually most of the time it is quite hard to blow speakers.

this is quite true... especially once you get past a certain age...

the only exception to this rule are the car guys who like to bump... they manage to blow subs on a regular basis, but that's usually through stupidity...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #8866 of 17105 Old 05-10-2009, 06:39 AM
Ray
Advanced Member

Quote:

Actually most of the time it is quite hard to blow speakers

Except for Bose because they blow even before they are hooked up to anything.
post #8867 of 17105 Old 05-10-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

Those should be fine, StuckAtZero

Here's the manual if you need it.
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/SAVE535H.PDF

Your dad is going to love it!
have fun!

LOL... thanks... I had it before. Just trying to walk (in terms of speakers) before I have him running. You'd think that most any speakers would have a warning of what not to do, so a lack of one should be comforting to know.

post #8868 of 17105 Old 05-10-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:

That's a good practical way to say it. Even at peaks that approach the amp's rated power, the power is only momentary. The speaker set you linked to also includes a powered sub, so low bass which sucks the most power, will be taken off the receiver's amp load & rest of the speakers won't see most large power peaks.

Actually most of the time it is quite hard to blow speakers. I've only seen it once, when I was in college a long time ago....guy blew his Bose 901's by feeding them an oscilloscope signal.

ss9001

Ah, so is the power spikes where a speaker's "wattage handling" comes into consideration? The light bulb in my head is starting to flicker.

post #8869 of 17105 Old 05-10-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

it doesn't matter if the amp is rated at 1000w and the speaker is rated at 5w...

amplifiers don't blow speakers... people turning the volume knob too far clockwise on the amplifier blow speakers...

This is helping to better clarify things for me.... my Dad lives in a smaller populous area so even the local Best Buy and H.H. Gregg stores are fairly small. The Best Buy at my Dad's location only sells a handful of home appliances and they don't even have a Magnolia Room.

The problem I ran into is in both of those stores, the sales people stressed that I needed speakers of a minimum wattage handling or else the speakers were "guaranteed" to blow. I doubt my Dad would ever turn the knob to 2 o'clock on the dial, but both stores insisted going past 2 o'clock would blow any speakers below a certain wattage handling. Based on a previous response above (if I understand correctly) that wattage handling is only for spikes caused by a slave woofer that is no longer putting a load on the system and thus creating a power spike on the smaller speakers.

Now although more expensive speakers are a good idea for this receiver, it now seems to me that the local stores were steering me based on the wrong reasons (that speakers must be of a minimum wattage for a particular receiver's power).

Now this brings up an additional question.... when trying to pair up a set of speakers to a receiver, it sounds like looking at speaker wattage handling against a receiver's per channel wattage is not a good way of doing things. Is the wattage handling of a speaker and the per channel wattage a receiver even on the same sheet of music? Or am I applying something that has nothing to do with the other?

The guys at the store recommended higher wattage speakers, but it now sounds like even those can be blown with this same receiver at too high of a setting on the volume dial. I seriously doubt the knob will ever even get to 2 o'clock since we're talking this set is located in a small living room.... so I'm curious in the academic sense what setting the volume very high on the knob would do even for those high wattage speakers.

post #8870 of 17105 Old 05-10-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:

this is quite true... especially once you get past a certain age...

the only exception to this rule are the car guys who like to bump... they manage to blow subs on a regular basis, but that's usually through stupidity...

LOL. Yeah, my Dad is a retiree, so loud house parties are out of the question.... I thought car guys blowing their subs was due to particular music they played which used ultra low bass that some woofers could not handling in a sustained way. Don't know... I'm not really a car audio guy.

The other reason why I bought this receiver for him aside from price and build quality is because it actually supports S-Video which is important for my Dad given he has stuff which would need that for best quality.... he likes legacy support. Many new models are dropping S-Video support unfortunately (even though they still support composite).

post #8871 of 17105 Old 05-10-2009, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you mean any speaker (regardless of maximum wattage)?

Yes.
Quote:

I have a set of Sony SA-VE535H home theater speakers I could give him, but they are rated at a max of 120W.... a little shy of 130W.

They'd be fine.
Quote:

Actually, its rated for sets of channels (FL+FR; SL+SR; etc.), not all seven at once. So, yes, if all 5 channels were ever driven to maximum at once, the per channel output would be less. It would be even less if all 7 were driven. Pioneer doesn't provide 5 or 7 channel driven figures. It's not especially relevant, as in the real world (as opposed to a test lab) all channels are rarely if ever driven to their maximum simultaneously. For practical purposes, the rated output fairly accurately reflects the AVR amp's potential output to a given speaker.

Quote:

I meant that as a jest, hence the "just kidding" smiley. No offense was intended. I understood what you are doing and why. If anything, I'm just a bit jealous.

Quote:

Yes.

I know most of this was addressed by others, but I'm compulsive.
post #8872 of 17105 Old 05-10-2009, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is helping to better clarify things for me.... my Dad lives in a smaller populous area so even the local Best Buy and H.H. Gregg stores are fairly small. The Best Buy at my Dad's location only sells a handful of home appliances and they don't even have a Magnolia Room.

The problem I ran into is in both of those stores, the sales people stressed that I needed speakers of a minimum wattage handling or else the speakers were "guaranteed" to blow. I doubt my Dad would ever turn the knob to 2 o'clock on the dial, but both stores insisted going past 2 o'clock would blow any speakers below a certain wattage handling. Based on a previous response above (if I understand correctly) that wattage handling is only for spikes caused by a slave woofer that is no longer putting a load on the system and thus creating a power spike on the smaller speakers.

Stuck:

I don't say this often but I will today. Whomever you spoke with at best buy is an IDIOT.

Your dad's volume knob will pass 2 O'clock on a regular basis because it is digital not analog. It will rotate quite a bit to achieve normal volume levels and is not like the knobs-of-yore that were analog and one rotation went from 0-10 (or 11 if it was a good tube amp - the old guys will get that one) and that was it.

Buy speakers for your father that are 88-93db efficient and rated to handle something in the range of 80-200wpc. Buy name brand speakers. A name brand HTIB (home theater in a box speaker set with a powered sub will work).

For starters try:

Polk RM series
Definitive Technologies 600/800/1000 series (updated) - my personal recommendation for a great starter system
JBL
KEF
Energy Take 5 Classic set (<$400 at Costco) - dirt cheap with good sound
HSU (forum sponsor)

There are plenty of others but those are a good starting point. Remember some don't come with a subwoofer and you will need to add that into the price point.

You can also try a forum sponsor or Crutchfield.com to buy and research speakers.

post #8873 of 17105 Old 05-10-2009, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

a brief off topic jaunt on a sunday morning that might illuminate things a bit more for you...

your dad will probably only use the first watt of power for 99% of his usage... he's not unique in that...

keeping it simple, speakers have a rating called "sensitivity"... this number tells you how loud (spl level) a speaker will get with 1 watt of power at a certain distance... most "consumer grade" speakers will fall somewhere in the range of, say, 85-102 db/watt... even 85 db is LOUD... factoring in an "average sitting distance" with "average room gain" with an "average speaker", you can see how little power is actually used...

it's transients and peaks that require "more power" (i.e. headroom)... and unless he's listening to movies at somewhere in the neighborhood of reference level, or listens to really dynamic orchestral music at high volumes, his headroom needs aren't excessive...

there's tons more stuff involved here (resistance, etc.), and i left out all the math (hey, it's sunday, i don't want to have to think too hard )... but the basic idea is, for the question you are asking, the wattage rating of the amplifier isn't relevant...

- chris

post #8874 of 17105 Old 05-10-2009, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso View Post

I don't say this often but I will today. Whomever you spoke with at best buy is an IDIOT.

i was going to avoid commenting on the best buy person, but i gotta second that...

besides the obvious points that you listed, who actually even USES the volume knob anymore???

any of the sets eldi listed would make your dad happy...

- chris

post #8875 of 17105 Old 05-10-2009, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...the sales people stressed that I needed speakers of a minimum wattage handling or else the speakers were "guaranteed" to blow...

Unfortunately, while they may be well intentioned, the sales people at most mass market are not well trained. They often only partially understand the principle they are discussing, and as a result, often inadvertently give out a lot of misinformation to trusting customers.

Quote:

...Now this brings up an additional question.... when trying to pair up a set of speakers to a receiver, it sounds like looking at speaker wattage handling against a receiver's per channel wattage is not a good way of doing things. Is the wattage handling of a speaker and the per channel wattage a receiver even on the same sheet of music? Or am I applying something that has nothing to do with the other?

I pay no attention to speaker wattage handling. It's pretty useless, and most likely a product of lawyers trying to protect their companies from claims due to outlandish abuse. The only one worth considering is the minimum requirement, as far more damage is done by underpowered amps than by "overpowered" ones.

Unlike with amps, there is no standard for how the speaker ratings are developed. You can't really compare one speaker to another based on them. And trying match them to the amp's output is an exercise, nothing more.
Quote:

guys at the store recommended higher wattage speakers, but it now sounds like even those can be blown with this same receiver at too high of a setting on the volume dial. I seriously doubt the knob will ever even get to 2 o'clock since we're talking this set is located in a small living room.... so I'm curious in the academic sense what setting the volume very high on the knob would do even for those high wattage speakers.

As a rule, damage is done only if the amp is driven into clipping. This is a result of having too little power, not too much.

Moreover, a quality AVR like your dad's will have clipping protection designed in, so the chances of harming speakers with it are minimal at best.

I don't think there is an answer to your "academic" question. Suffice to say that if would be above the "0" volume setting, which no mature adult is likely to exceed for long anyway.

As I said in my first response, don't worry about it.
post #8876 of 17105 Old 05-10-2009, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i ...........................................besides the obvious points that you listed, who actually even USES the volume knob anymore??? ............................................

I dunno... IMO they have their purpose!

post #8877 of 17105 Old 05-10-2009, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

..your dad will probably only use the first watt of power for 99% of his usage... he's not unique in that...

keeping it simple, speakers have a rating called "sensitivity"... this number tells you how loud (spl level) a speaker will get with 1 watt of power at a certain distance... most "consumer grade" speakers will fall somewhere in the range of, say, 85-102 db/watt... even 85 db is LOUD... factoring in an "average sitting distance" with "average room gain" with an "average speaker", you can see how little power is actually used...

He'll probably average something like 0.02 watts. That'll deliver ~70+dB, which is the level most people choose for movies.

To save some math, try this easy to use SPL Calculator. It will illustrate ccotenj's point, and even let you determine how loud 130 watts would be in his room.
post #8878 of 17105 Old 05-10-2009, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo View Post

After having my unit for over a week now I can honestly say there are a few things that spoiled me. Class D amplification is a plus but it's MCACC on the 07 that is so much more sophisticated over the 03 along with a better looking OSD. Fullband Phase Control sold me on this unit along with some other goodies but it's all about FBPC. This really helped out my Monitor 60's and my Cerwin LCR, my surrounds sound much better after using FBPC. Even the manual states that it is very important to run FBPC. I won't argue with that and calibrating was done two ways... first was done by setting the speakers to small and running the calibration with keep speaker settings, after that I went back in and ran FBPC manually. Since I have an LFM -1+, I set the sub to THX standards except the mains, running a Cerwin 6 1/2 LCR compensates for the 5 1/4 mids on my towers. Dialog is very loud and clear!

The second run was done with All CH adjust in advanced MCACC and just letting it set the speakers by default. After calibration and manually setting my speakers back to small I can't tell any difference as to my manual settings. So for movies like BD/HD I have THX Select 2 plus set for the lossy, for music I just set a memory bank and turn of MCACC leave FBPC on and that's it for music not much to re adjust on this unit for different media/music.

So now when I sit back and watch a movie it's nice to see dts-HD MA/True HD, along with all seven channels lit, THX with FBPC just adds the cherry on top!

Thinking about some Axiom towers and putting the Monitor 60's for surrounds.

Thanks for your impressions Nimo!

Added your comments to member reviews (page 2) and your pictures
(with and without fingerprints)

Those look like awesome speakers..
Sounds like you're enjoying your SC-07!

post #8879 of 17105 Old 05-10-2009, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i was going to avoid commenting on the best buy person, but i gotta second that...

besides the obvious points that you listed, who actually even USES the volume knob anymore???

any of the sets eldi listed would make your dad happy...

My volume knobs generally turn in one direction every time - up.

That's what's so nice about about the Integra's "turn on volume" feature. I wish the Pioneer's had the same option. It sets a start up volume level for every turn on instance. Very nice.

post #8880 of 17105 Old 05-10-2009, 10:09 AM

Please excuse this super noob question. Is it possible to get TrueHD if I am running 5.1? I just got the 07 and this is my first HDMI receiver and first with TrueHD. I have it connected to a Sony BDP301, with the Back Surrounds off and Virtual surround on auto. The player is set DD and DTS and Auto, then the disc is set to True HD.

whenever I play a bluray the receiver shows standard doldy digital. PCM is not a problem, I just can't get True HD to light up.

Please Help, Thank you
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page